A Note to MFGS: Stop shielding cables

cj3waker

2[H]4U
The new trend on peripheral devices seems to shielding the cable. I cannot stand it. I have a few other cables that just hang out under my desk, and since they dont have this special shielding, they NEVER get tangled
3eb0h.jpg

But both my logitech g35, and new corsair headset, both have this retarded shielding, lo and behold, it tangles the shit out of itself. Every few hours I have to dangle the headset and let it play itself out
v6ivd5.jpg

The term is "braided", I believe.

My Corsair HS1A has a braided cord and its never tangled on me. /shrug.

Just use some zip ties and make the cables a bit shorter, then you won't have an issue.

Most of the cables are shielded. However, that is braided, and the issue is that inside, the wires are most likely a twisted pair. And thus want to straighten, and they coil, and tangle.

The new trend on peripheral devices seems to shielding the cable. I cannot stand it. I have a few other cables that just hang out under my desk, and since they dont have this special shielding, they NEVER get tangled
3eb0h.jpg

But both my logitech g35, and new corsair headset, both have this retarded shielding, lo and behold, it tangles the shit out of itself. Every few hours I have to dangle the headset and let it play itself out
v6ivd5.jpg

As everyone else stated, sheilding is not the problem; braiding is. Therefore, the thread title should be changed to:

"A Note to MFGs: STOP BRAIDING CABLES!"

braided then, my bad.

As you can see though it is already quite a short run, less than 3 feet.

It is incredibly annoying

I have to say I find the braiding on my G5 mouse to not be a hindrance. I've never once encountered this issue. On an unrelated note, I am OK with shielding cables, but most things that are shielded probably don't need it.

i hate braided cables too.

i actually have a short braided cable and it's not too bad because its always near its fully extended length... but man, those long braided cables.

but most things that are shielded probably don't need it.

guess you are not into weak signal RF work much, they may not need shielding to operate for YOU, but you would be polluting MY EM environment

the shielding is necessary, and is actually mandated by FCC part 15, without it we can hear your ftdi signalling down the block

Last edited:
guess you are not into weak signal RF work much, they may not need shielding to operate for YOU, but you would be polluting MY EM environment

the shielding is necessary, and is actually mandated by FCC part 15, without it we can hear your ftdi signalling down the block

For all the things out there that are supposedly shielded, many certainly seem to leak a LOT, which leads me to believe the shielding doesn't do all that much - either that or they don't do a very good job of it. Guess I let my crankiness slip out there.

Then again the bulk of low voltage data cabling in the US is unshielded (here's looking at category cabling), and it doesn't seem to cause too much trouble.

As for part 15 rules, I wish there was real enforcement of that. Nothing like cheap phones/cameras/chinese crap that jam wifi from two doors down, or any analog source that puts out this:
specany.jpg

Last edited:
LOL

I got in this flame exchange with...ahem, another member here, a couple weeks ago. He simply would not believe that I could hear transformers and motors. When I informed him that I could hear signals bounced off the moon or the ionized trails of meteors he wrote me off as a troll/nutcase.

If people had any idea what you can hear if you know how to listen.

LOL

I got in this flame exchange with...ahem, another member here, a couple weeks ago. He simply would not believe that I could hear transformers and motors. When I informed him that I could hear signals bounced off the moon or the ionized trails of meteors he wrote me off as a troll/nutcase.

All crazies I have met always say they aren't crazy. :p

I've noticed a lot of manufacturers touting braided cables as being better than non-braided....Why? As far as I can tell all the braiding adds is protection against physical abrasion. Is there some other benefit that I'm missing?

I get hearing transformers and motors, they're noisy as hell. I don't know what a meteor trail sounds like.

I get hearing transformers and motors, they're noisy as hell. I don't know what a meteor trail sounds like.

you don't hear the trail itself, as the object burns up on entry it leaves a streak of ionized particles, nutcase amateurs bounce VHF signals off these. Of course the streak only lasts a couple seconds. This used to be the realm of very fast morse code operators, these days ultra narrow digital modulation schemes, primarily PSK31, have really opened this kind of thing up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_burst_communications

The term is "braided", I believe.

My Corsair HS1A has a braided cord and its never tangled on me. /shrug.
My HS1A tangles like beotch. But it doesn't bother me much as I don't put the headset on very often. But they do sound good :)

Mine is worse....... I take good care of all my stuff but this one is just hopeless...... You can see that the braid itself is breaking apart! I've only been using this headset for 2 months.

20120127_002210.jpg

What do you people do at your computer to make the braided cables twist like that? I've had a Logitech G9 for a few years now, and the braided cable has never given me issues. The only way i can see a braided cable doing that is if you are spinning around in your chair all the time.

Cables can't just twist up like that all by themselves.

LOL

Yeah, you are a damn nutcase. Things like you describe exist, but ONLY WHEN LOOKED FOR. And I don't know why you still persist on this transformer/motor garbage. They literally make sound because they vibrate. Only motors with brushes throw out rampant EM from the arcing. Of course you can pick up a magnetic field from a transformer. It doesn't mean it's rampant EM that's going to interfere with everything. Nutcase.

You're not hearing a meteor trail, you're bouncing a signal off of it. Nutcase.

Signals bounced off the moon are only going to be detected by nutcase ham radio operator/CIA/NASA special equipment. It isn't going to make its way into your sound system. When they fire lasers at mirrors on the moon they only get back a few photons. Nutcase.

I have had a Logitech G5 for years. Never had the cable get twisted up, but then I do not do cartwheels or dance in circles while I am using it.

I have used other devices with braided cables with no problems. It's just this Corsair headset having this issue. As I said, I take extreme care of my stuff (never drop things and not do cartwheels most especially!). I kinda think it's the winter cold temperatures that's making the wires become like this.

Up until this point I thought that braiding cables actually made them less susceptible to tangling... My G5 has never tangled and my girlfriend got headphones last year that are supposedly anti tangle and they were braided as well...

Back