A Picture I Took - 2011

219463_10150234321175590_685285589_9057617_4656027_o.jpg

209927_10150234322240590_685285589_9057620_6986807_o.jpg

Finally got to play with my new 100-400mm L....

Model: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/640 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 310mm
a-BC-trip-9827.jpg

Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Focal Length: 400mm
a-BC-trip-9786.jpg

ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/400 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Focal Length: 400mm
a-BC-trip-9600.jpg

And one with the Tamron 12-24:
Aperture: 9.0
Focal Length: 13mm
a-IMG_9511-Empress.JPG

BB

And one with the Tamron 12-24:
Aperture: 9.0
Focal Length: 13mm
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_o9kkkfN8haQ/TcuJhAjOtlI/AAAAAAAAGpg/wTnzM5f38nc/s1200/a-IMG_9511-Empress.JPG

BB

Nice!

^^ Wow - really impressive eye-macro shot there! What lens did you use for this?

This is the kind of thing where you have to put a ton of thought into the setup of the shot to control the reflected image. As if it wasn't hard enough to get that perfect depth of focus for the shot, now you have to figure out how not to have your own reflection become the focal point. :p

Or you can just break out the PS after the fact and chop in some other image for the reflection - easier fix. :)

^^ Wow - really impressive eye-macro shot there! What lens did you use for this?

This is the kind of thing where you have to put a ton of thought into the setup of the shot to control the reflected image. As if it wasn't hard enough to get that perfect depth of focus for the shot, now you have to figure out how not to have your own reflection become the focal point. :p

Or you can just break out the PS after the fact and chop in some other image for the reflection - easier fix. :)

That was shot with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, almost directly out of camera, just upped the sharpness and contrast a little

Yeah I was debating doing that but I kinda like the camera in there, like a lens in a lens sort of thing, though I think it would be neat to get something else in there like my wife or something slightly more interesting lol

Finally got to play with my new 100-400mm L....

Nice shots, BB; especially the heron. The 100-400 is a fantastic lens, though a bit large and heavy for my purposes.

I just got back from Edinburgh yesterday; definitely a city that favors black and white. Here's a few highlights:

thanks mrogers and stoptheradio, mrrogers and auric.

auric, took me almost two years and of saving, spending the money on household emergencies, then saving again to save up for this lens. I got it to replace the 70-300is 4.-5.6 becuase I was increasingly unhappy with the latter's softness. I got it primarily for airshows/airplanes in flight photography, but now realize what an awesome tool it is for other things. VERY VERY happy with the purchase and sharpness and so glad I didn't settle for the sigma 120-400 or fall prey to focal length envy and the sigma 50-500 or 150-500.

BB

I just bought my first DSLR and have been playing with it.

IMG_0231%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0291%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0714%20(Small).jpg

Above 3 taken with Canon T2i and kit lens.

These below taken with Canon T2i and Canon EF-S 15-85 lens

_MG_1056.JPG

_MG_1067.JPG

_MG_1107.JPG

_MG_1166.JPG

_MG_1187.JPG

_MG_1353.JPG

_MG_1363.JPG

The problem I have zooming in that far is that the heat from the ground distorts everything. Last weekend I took a shot of a border patrol checkpoint in a valley (around 280mm equiv), and you can't even read the signs near the road.

It's one of the things that stopped me from buying a 100-400mm lens. (The other being money of course.)

Here's a non-zoomed version of the pic. You can see a little distortion on the road signs.

Isn't that the check point coming out of Tombstone, AZ?

I used to be up in that area almost every week when I was doing warranty Dell repair.

Close! It's on 83 coming north out of Sonoita. I haven't been on the Tombstone highway (80) in a long time. There's also a checkpoint on 90 coming into Benson.

And to stay on topic, here's a picture of a toilet:

IMG_4460.jpg

Close! It's on 83 coming north out of Sonoita. I haven't been on the Tombstone highway (80) in a long time. There's also a checkpoint on 90 coming into Benson.

And to stay on topic, here's a picture of a toilet:

IMG_4460.jpg

Nice toilet.... Yep, now that you mention it, I recognize it as the sonoita one... been a few years since I have been up there so things are starting to get a little mixed up.

Nothing astounding today!

5727376957_5fc5fb3f25_z.jpg

5727941052_176d322f6e_z.jpg

5727388939_a50be1a9b9_z.jpg

Was in a bit of a rush this lunch time so diddnt focus properly today!

here are some i took yesterday:

5731081937_50bdbd44a0_z.jpg

i like this pic because not only is the camera equipment he is using angled using an interesting tripod i have never seen, his own body is angles nearly the same as the camera housed in that tripod. Its as if him and the camera and tripod are an all in one object attached together.

5731062363_bd049720e8_z.jpg

This one shows a unique top down perspective of a person working in the street. notice how his wheely bin thingy is alligned on a double yellow line and your not allowed to park their!

5731089435_4e03860ca8_z.jpg

Two mates looking bored by listening to some music together.

not a bad close to the ground tripod but my camera tripod can do the same thing. do you know what tripod he was using? looks kind of like a slide rail. my manfrotto can't do a slide rail that close to the ground but i do have a dolly so it could ride the dolly if need be :cool:

Which means I have taken over 62,000 pics with my DSLRs over the past 6 years, the first 52K with the RebelXT I bought in April of 2005.

Camera: Canon 50D
Lens: Canon 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L IS
F-stop: F/13
Exposure: 1/3 sec
IS0: 100
Focal Length: 190mm

spencer-island-walk-10000-dpp-small.jpg

BB

^It has more to do with the place than anything else. Those parks are made to include as much stuff as possible in a very small area. While beautiful to walk through, it makes the photography rather difficult, and each photo from darktiger is a great example of that. Each frame is extremely busy, loud. I think the IR is making the frames a lot more interesting than they otherwise would be.

It might be a heavy HDR effect. Two of them don't have a lot of colors or contrast so everything seems to blend together to me.

It's IR as I pointed out. (Infrared photography.) darktiger modified one of his camera to do just that (Canon G11.)

It's IR as I pointed out. (Infrared photography.) darktiger modified one of his camera to do just that (Canon G11.)

Yeah I know, I've shot in IR before. Very briefly but I've experienced it none the less. I don't think that's it. The modified 5D I was using did not produce Images that sharp. I'm guessing that's happening somewhere in post. It looks like the world is vibrating at an ultra high frequency in those shots.

I guess it's just me. Powerful stuff there! I have never come across anything that affects me like these do. :p

Does anyone else find these extremely difficult to look at? I can't put my finger on it...I think it has to do with the extreme sharpness of the pictures but they are inducing a physical sensation of anxiety in me.

Not trolling, I actually like them they just make me feel...not good.
This...

Yeah I know, I've shot in IR before. Very briefly but I've experienced it none the less. I don't think that's it. The modified 5D I was using did not produce Images that sharp. I'm guessing that's happening somewhere in post. It looks like the world is vibrating at an ultra high frequency in those shots.

I guess it's just me. Powerful stuff there! I have never come across anything that affects me like these do. :p

Thanks Spiko.. I actually have a lot of IR shots that I have not posted yet. Northrop is correct. I use a modified G11... I was thinking about converting my spare Canon 5D, but that would be another big body and lens to carry around... I find a G series camera allows me to carry my 5D Mark II and slip my IR modded camera into my pocket.

I really do not post my IR shots that much. I usually just swap the red/blue channels, and maybe run a unsharp mask + bump up the contrast. If it is too dark I will usually use a dodge brush.

..so the airplane pics could be better. OTOH, liking the 100-400!

a-HFF-class-day1-0073.jpg

a-HFF-class-day1-0104.jpg

a-HFF-class-day1-0114.jpg

a-HFF-class-day1-0179.jpg

Especially proud of this one, handheld 1/160th at 400 mm!
a-HFF-class-day1-0624.jpg

a-HFF-class-day1-0452.jpg

a-HFF-class-day1-0727.jpg

a-HFF-class-day1-0504.jpg

Back