Acer AL2423W 24" Review, Pics.

[snip]
The English language is very jacked up. That's why sentences like,"buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo" are actually a proper sentence.

sounds like someone with a stutter trying to order wings at Chilis. ;)

Back on topic: are the Newegg Acer models the only ones that have this overheating/no signal problem?

[

Actually, you don't need to have the comparative in the sentence to use "worse." For example,"I feel worse today." I don't have to say,"Yesterday I felt great, today, I feel worse." It simply isn't needed.

Also, how can I say that the Acer is the Worst monitor ever, if I have never used every single monitor around? It could be the worst monitor I have ever used or the worse monitor I have ever used. This is why I can used either form of worse for my short sentence.

The English language is very jacked up. That's why sentences like,"buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo" are actually a proper sentence.

Nearly everything you just wrote is wrong, however, it's way off-topic for the thread so if you really want a grammar lesson, you can pm me or just pick up any basic grammar book written for an audience who uses English as their primary language..

The Acer I use has the "no signal" issue and it's from Newegg. I doubt it's overheating, as I have 10000 BTU A/C unit blow at it.

AC%20Unit.JPG

If it's overheating with something like that blowing cold air over it, then it's a really crappy monitor.

The Acer I use has the "no signal" issue and it's from Newegg. I doubt it's overheating, as I have 10000 BTU A/C unit blow at it.

If it's overheating with something like that blowing cold air over it, then it's a really crappy monitor.

Enough with your little bitching. It's time for you to just move along.

Hey got my AL2423W 2 weeks ago :cool:

I'm pretty satisfied with the screen... It's just the DVI connection that doesn't fully wanna work. D-sub works perfectly no "no signals" or anything. The screen also works with DVI in BIOS, while loading Windows and even in Windows as long as I don't install any graphics drivers. I've tested this when formating Windows, everything works nice until I install the drivers for my graphics card. When the screen is supposed to just flash after you have installed the drivers, mine goes dark and starts showing the "no signal" sign and after a few secs it goes into power saving mode. The DVI connection also works good with my UBCD4Win CD, a preinstallation environment, at the max res which is 1024x1280x60hz.

My current source is the Asus A6Ja notebook, it has a Radeon mobility X1600 with both a analog and digital output. I have tested 3 different divers: Omega's, Ati's own and the once posted on Asus homepage. The DVI connection doesn't work even if I lower the resolution, there's just no signs of recognition of the screen in Windows after I've installed the graphics drivers... :(

I know a deal about computers, but this has left me hanging... Should I perhaps buy a dual link DVI cable? Or Might there be some sort of limitation on the graphics card side? Or is the screen really malfunctioning?

Enough with your little bitching. It's time for you to just move along.

Or I can keep talking about how it's a crap monitor and hopefully save another person from buying it.

Hey got my AL2423W 2 weeks ago :cool:

I'm pretty satisfied with the screen... It's just the DVI connection that doesn't fully wanna work. D-sub works perfectly no "no signals" or anything. The screen also works with DVI in BIOS, while loading Windows and even in Windows as long as I don't install any graphics drivers. I've tested this when formating Windows, everything works nice until I install the drivers for my graphics card. When the screen is supposed to just flash after you have installed the drivers, mine goes dark and starts showing the "no signal" sign and after a few secs it goes into power saving mode. The DVI connection also works good with my UBCD4Win CD, a preinstallation environment, at the max res which is 1024x1280x60hz.

My current source is the Asus A6Ja notebook, it has a Radeon mobility X1600 with both a analog and digital output. I have tested 3 different divers: Omega's, Ati's own and the once posted on Asus homepage. The DVI connection doesn't work even if I lower the resolution, there's just no signs of recognition of the screen in Windows after I've installed the graphics drivers... :(

I know a deal about computers, but this has left me hanging... Should I perhaps buy a dual link DVI cable? Or Might there be some sort of limitation on the graphics card side? Or is the screen really malfunctioning?

Test the monitor on a different computer or test the laptop with a different monitor, if you can. You can also try a different DVI cable.

Or I can keep talking about how it's a crap monitor and hopefully save another person from buying it.

Test the monitor on a different computer or test the laptop with a different monitor, if you can. You can also try a different DVI cable.

Just because you can't figure out how to trouble shoot your own system setup for your monitor to work properly doesn't mean it's a crappy monitor. The only reason you're still here because you're too embarrassed to admit that you finally got it working and been BSing about getting another monitor.

Actually, the Acer monitor is heading back to Newegg. This is my current setup. A pair of 19" widescreen Norcent monitors. Bought them cause they were cheap and were within a minute drive from my place.

IMG_0609.JPG

I already have a 22" BenQ heading on the way here. Considering using my tax return on the 24" BenQ or 32" Westinghouse TV. Either would be a nice replacement for my crappy 20" CRT TV. Course need another vidcard so I can run all three at once.

And please, tell me exactly how many ways there are to troubleshoot a piece of shit monitor? Different cables, different comps, install drivers, different power cables, different surge protector, rackmount UPS, and so on. None of it worked.

Actually, the Acer monitor is heading back to Newegg. This is my current setup. A pair of 19" widescreen Norcent monitors. Bought them cause they were cheap and were within a minute drive from my place.

If you don't mind... how are you sending the Acer back to Newegg? Mine is listed as "still under manufacturer warranty" so I'm not able to select it as something to return for an exchange (mine lasted 2.5 months before the "No Signal" problem). Is yours still under the 1 month term for exchanges at NE?

Also if anyone has actually sent one in to Acert to be fixed... did they actually fix it? Send out a replacement monitor? Claim it wasn't their fault and send your back still messed up?

This really sucks as most other 24' are now priced almost as low as the Acer and I'd definately be willing to pay the $50 more for something that works properly. Maybe it was just a bad batch that Newegg got?

Looks like I might have to take the $700 up the pooper and go dual 19's.:mad:

Ya, it was still within the 1 month. The "no signal" crap started showing up 2 weeks after owning it.

Just because you can't figure out how to trouble shoot your own system setup for your monitor to work properly doesn't mean it's a crappy monitor. The only reason you're still here because you're too embarrassed to admit that you finally got it working and been BSing about getting another monitor.

Oh ho ho ho!!!

My 22" BenQ LCD finally came in. Well, all I really have to say is...pwn3d.

IMG_0616.JPG

Since this thread has gone offtopic a little, I thought I'd post my reactions.

I got this monitor today from NewEgg, seems good so far.
I have one tiny stuck green subpixel (always on), I'm seeing if I can fix it with one of those programs, but if not, it's not a big deal.

Pic of current setup (the smaller monitor to the right is a 20.1" Dell 2001FP, for size comparison partly):
al24232001fp1scaledcc7.jpg

Like has been mentioned, the default settings are insanely bright.
Comparing this side by side with my 2001FP (one of the earliest ones, S-IPS panel), the black levels don't seem quite as good on this Acer. Also, comparing a grayscale gradient on the two monitors, I can notice banding on the Acer, whereas I cannot on the Dell monitor. I guess that's to be expected since S-IPS panels are regarded to be better, though.

Anyway, the banding is only noticeable in certain situation. Overall, a very nice monitor.

BTW, for anyone else that has this, can anyone recommend color settings good for most things? (Brightness, Contrast, R/G/B color temp). I've been changing them back and forth but haven't decided on what looks best yet.

Hello

First post here but have been reading for quite some time. Anyway, I bought this monitor after reading this thread actually and I got fairly disappointed. First of, image wise the monitor is really good. Gaming and movies works really nice. Problem would be the lack of HDCP I guess but I don't use it for longer movie-sessions anyway. My disappointments comes with the design. Yes I knew it wouldn't be as good looking as Dells or HPs versions but the standing is ugly. Second and third, my Acer 2423W does not (yes I use bold letters again :p )have manual height and pivot- function! These were the two main reasons to why I picked this monitor. The box clearly says 2423W and the manual also says it, even the monitor has AL2423W on it! But it do have DVI so its not a typo or anything. Have anyone heard anything about this? I'm considering keeping it anyway cause its cheap and still very good.

Regards
Damodred

Hi everyone, Cornflake here again!

I've been away for a couple of months, sorry I haven't been here to clarify a few things. But I will now! I've owned this monitor for... let's see... 7 months and I look at it for nearly twelve hours a day and pay tons of attention to detail. So I'd say I'm one of the best educated people on the monitor :cool:

For those of you with the "No signal" problem, it's fix-able!

I'd like to tell those of you that are having the "no signal" problem that it's completely cureable, and you're not alone (plus those of you who sent it back because of that problem are, well, out of luck). I myself had this very no signal problem where the Acer logo loops for as long as 30 seconds, then locks on a signal - It then shows the "no signal" image again and will not go away. It may disappear for a few seconds but it always comes back.

The solution:
Un-plug your monitor for a few hours :). I was considering sending the monitor back, but upon leaving it un-plugged overnight it hasn't exhibited the symptom since. But, please don't send me death threats if it doesn't work for you... you may actually have a damaged LCD.

Other things to mention:

- I find that when on the User setting (Adjusted so R,G,B are all at 100%) that Contrast 75-77 work well. It seems if you turn the contrast above that on RGB 100, it becomes over-contrasted [This applies to Brightness at 100]. *NOTE* for ATI users, having "Alternate DVI operational mode" and "Reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays" checked might greatly reduce the contrast of your monitor when enabled. It did for me - so simply uncheck those options.

- I find that when on the Cool setting, contrasts of 84-86 work best; any higher and the monitor will become over-contrasted and drown out some bright colors [This applies to Brightness at 100]. The *NOTE* above also applies here. I prefer cool the most, because on RGB 100 or on warm, grays tend to look too tan.

-I'd like to debunk another myth: Getting a dual-link DVI-D cable will NOT give you a higher refresh rate over 60Hz! I happen to own one of these cables and plugging it in gives you no refresh rates above 60Hz. If you try to apply one that's higher, it will just revert back. For some reason, it seems using a DVI cable restricts the user from getting high refresh rates and I don't know why. I don't know who originally came up with the "1920x1200*60" math because reguardless of the DVI cable bandwidth you can't get other refresh rates. Like I said, I don't know why.

- I think I might take several pictures to try and calculate the Min / Max / Avg of the Input Lag on the monitor... although I re-assure everyone, as being a lag-o-phile and a graphic-o-phile that the lag is near invisible. I've noticed that my mouse doesn't feel as "snappy" as on LCDs / CRTs without overdirve, but it doesn't actually "lag" behind. There's one problem wit calculating input lag: I'm not sure if my digital cam's shutter speed is fast enough to capture the numbers without being blurred.

- As far as backlight bleed is concerned, I've noticed that there's bad bleed in the corners of the screen until you've used the monitor for an hour or too. By then, even the corners are nearly as black as the rest of the screen :). The screen does have very good black levels, and if you see gray strips while watching a video it is most likley the software or film. Windows Media 11 is notorious for doing this in Windows Vista :( After adjusting a video so it no longer appears gray in Vista, in full-screen mode it will paint the sides with a strange gray color :confused:

I hope I've answered most of everyone's questions, and I'll try to provide some pictures of the gray bars in Media Player 11 in Vista (so you know what i'm talking about) and the backlight bleed that occurs until the monitor is warmed up. Cheers!

Thanks Cornflake for your post, I will try to play with the suggested settings.

I still believe this is a fantastic screen, and still highly recommend it !

Ralph

I'd like to tell those of you that are having the "no signal" problem that it's completely cureable, and you're not alone (plus those of you who sent it back because of that problem are, well, out of luck). I myself had this very no signal problem where the Acer logo loops for as long as 30 seconds, then locks on a signal - It then shows the "no signal" image again and will not go away. It may disappear for a few seconds but it always comes back.

The solution:
Un-plug your monitor for a few hours :). I was considering sending the monitor back, but upon leaving it un-plugged overnight it hasn't exhibited the symptom since. But, please don't send me death threats if it doesn't work for you... you may actually have a damaged LCD.

What is the cause for "NO SIGNAL" problem? What ACER factory say for that?

Well I don't know what Acer says about it, because I didn't contact them about it yet - i found out that leaving it unplugged overnight solves the problem.

ok someone help me out here: i have been looking at this monitor and the very similar looking AL2416WD, someone has said for each that they are S-PVA or P-MVA, and i havent been able to confirm for sure what is what or what the differences are between these two similar looking monitors.

can someone help me out with this?

then to make matters more complicated best buy sells another similar looking acer model that's totally different:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1170289357971

cant find information on this one anywhere, seems just like the other ones though.

Hello everyone,

Yesterday my Acer AL2423W arrived. After unpacking it and seeing it in front of me for first time instead of on pictures on the internet, I couldn't be more happier about its size. Exactly what I was looking for. It is not too big and it certainly is not too small. The Windows desktop with a resolution of 1920 by 1200 is also very neat. Although I have a positive experience with this monitor so far, I have also noticed a few disturbing issues.

Before asking the following questions, I must point out that I am new to this LCD thing. I am coming from the CRT world and had been working with 17 inch CRTs for years up until yesterday. So please forgive me if the questions I ask below are weird, as the answers may be self-evident to some of you.

- Viewing Angle: When sitting in front of the monitor, all looks fine, but as soon as I stand up I am noticing a big wave of much less contrasted pixels (difficult to explain, hopefully these pictures will clarify what I mean).

vafrontrg9.jpg
vatopsk9.jpg

(Left) Seen the screen from the front it looks ok (dont mind the quality of the pic). (Right) Seen from a standing position it looks like this, with a black/gray wave at the bottom.

This 'wave' travels up when standing up and travels down when sitting down and completely dissappears when sitting in front of the monitor. Also, the box in which the monitor came says it has a 178 degrees horizontal viewing angle, but when I move to a 30 degree angle or more (either left or right), the whites and greys on the screen start to get yellowish and gets more yellow as the degree angle increases. So my first question is, is this normal? It was my understanding that the colors stay the same when viewed within these angles, but I could be wrong.

- Banding?: I did the test at http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/64242802 and notice vertical stripes when this black to white gradient is shown.

gradient2td3.jpg
gradientcloseuprb9.jpg

(Left) Vertical stripes. (Right) In closup, also notice the diagonal color transitions in the center of the closeup.

I fired up Paint Shop Pro, and did a little more testing. Green to white and red to white are both perfect, no stripes at all and very smooth color transitions. Blue to white has minor stripes although less noticeable than with black to white. When increasing the contrast the stripes seem to 'move closer' to eachother making the gradient image look a little more smoother but still not smooth enough. Changing the brightness settings has no effect. So my second question is, is this called banding? And if so, how can this be minimized? This sometimes reminds me of working with 16-bit color displays. Perhaps it is worth noting, the monitor is hooked up to the machine using a DVI cable. I have also tried the older VGA connection but that didn't solve the issue.

- Movies: When playing movies, it doesnt matter whether its played with VLC Media Player, Windows Mediaplayer, DIVX player or Winamp, it displays some kind of static through the movies and looks like the gradients aren't smoothed out (somewhat like playing a DIVX movie without a deblocking filter). At first I thought it was because I was sitting too close in front of the monitor (about 70cm/~28 inch). But even at 3 meters, it is still noticeable. Is this related to banding?

As an example, I downloaded two WMV HD videos from Microsofts HD Contect Showcase (Terminator 2: Judgement Day 1080p 117 MB and Dolphins IMAX 1080p 107 MB). See pictures below.

moviedolphinvj2.jpg
moviedolphincloseupqn3.jpg

(Left) Notice the color transitions/gradients which are not smooth, especially on the right side. (Right) Again, but in close-up.

movieterm1eh9.jpg
movieterm2closeupdn4.jpg

(Left) Watch the sky in this shot. (Right) In close-up it is easier to see that there is no smooth color transition. What could be the cause of this?

One last question (and maybe the dumbest of all), the manual says in step 2 to connect the signal cable to the VGA input socket. Step 3 states to connect the signal cable to the DVI-D input socket. I assume only one of these steps has to be performed? And not have to connect both a DVI-D signal cable AND a VGA signal cable to the monitor at the same time?

Thanks in advance,

Jean-Daniel

Anyone? Any help is much appreciated. Only want to know if I may have a faulty monitor (as I thought it could display 24-bit colors) or that these not-so-smooth gradients are normal. Any answer before or on monday (27.08) is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Jean-Daniel

THANK YOU! Man this has been happening to me lately. I could never figure out why out of the blue the screen would have "no imput" as well as that dam ACER screen saver popping up showing no signal. Thank you so much............ I love this monitor, its a beauty. So happy its such a minor glitch.

For those of you with the "No signal" problem, it's fix-able!

The solution:
Un-plug your monitor for a few hours . I was considering sending the monitor back, but upon leaving it un-plugged overnight it hasn't exhibited the symptom since.

I purchased an Acer AL2423W last October 2006. The image is sweet. The built in speakers are nothing to brag about -- downright stingy -- but they produce some sound. The pivot capability is great, but I don't use it. I got the monitor to use as an extended desktop for a Dell D600 notebook. Connecting via the VGA monitor cable worked fine, but the image didn't always synchronize properly. I had to toggle the dual screen function button on the Dell a few times to get the image to synch. Then it would be good until the next reboot. I don't know if the problem was with the monitor or with the Dell's graphics card or the graphics driver.

In February, I started using a port replicator (docking station) with DVI and VGA outputs. I used the DVI output and that seemed to take care of the synchronizing issue. However, if the computer would hibernate, or the monitors would be set to go to sleep, the ACER monitor would not always awaken, or would turn on for a few seconds and then go dark. If I would turn off the power to the monitor for 15 -30 minutes, then turn it on again, the monitor would work fine. Turning it off for only 5 minutes would not do the trick. I contacted ACER about this. The technicians had no clue and told me to ship the monitor to the repair facility in Texas at my own expense. It comes with a 3-yr warranty that cover repairs and return shipment, but I would have to pay the $35 or so for the initial shipment. I didn't want to be without the monitor, so I have not yet shipped it. Besides, it works great most of the time.

I am now using a Dell D820 with the port replicator. I have been using the DVI connection to the monitor with excellent image results since April 2007. However, the problem with awakening the sleeping monitor continues. I do not know if the problem is due to the monitor or to the port replicator. Since the problem occurred with both my old computer and my new one, I don't think that the computer is the problem. It may be the docking station or the DVI cable.

Yesterday, the monitor started turning the image on and off, or showing the "no signal" indicator superimposed on the still-functioning desktop images. I'm not certain about why this is happening. I disconnected the DVI cable and connected the VGA cable. That seems to have stopped the on/of toggling problem. I was looking for clues about this when I saw your posting.

I need to use the VGA connection for a while to see if that really resolves the matter. The problem may be with the DVI port or cable, but I am still not certain. I can also try a direct VGA connection to the computer, but cannot do a direct DVI connection (computer has no DVI connector-- only the docking station has one.

Another thing about the monitor is that if you are in a very quiet room, you can hear the fluorescent hum of the LCD background light. It sounds like 120Hz -- not too loud but noticeable. I checked several other ACER monitors -- they all sound basically alike, with some slightly louder than others but all quieter than a whisper.

Except for the flaky on/off thing and “no signal”, I really like this monitor to the extent that I bought an ACER X241W for my wife. It is virtually the same monitor without the built-in speakers (which are not great anyway) and without the swiveling and height-adjustable stand. It also does not pivot, but the image may be pivotable if you use other graphics software and buy a different mounting system, such as an articulating arm. I paid nearly $800 (then got a $100 rebate) for the AL2423W last fall, and $399 (and expect a $100 rebate) for the X241W two months ago, both from Micro Center. We have not noticed trouble with the X241W, yet. It is connected, via DVI cable to an HP Pavilion a420n desktop computer with a Radeon 9550 AGP graphics card.

Hello everyone,

Yesterday my Acer AL2423W arrived. After unpacking it and seeing it in front of me for first time instead of on pictures on the internet, I couldn't be more happier about its size. Exactly what I was looking for. It is not too big and it certainly is not too small. The Windows desktop with a resolution of 1920 by 1200 is also very neat. Although I have a positive experience with this monitor so far, I have also noticed a few disturbing issues.

Before asking the following questions, I must point out that I am new to this LCD thing. I am coming from the CRT world and had been working with 17 inch CRTs for years up until yesterday. So please forgive me if the questions I ask below are weird, as the answers may be self-evident to some of you.

- Viewing Angle: When sitting in front of the monitor, all looks fine, but as soon as I stand up I am noticing a big wave of much less contrasted pixels (difficult to explain, hopefully these pictures will clarify what I mean).

vafrontrg9.jpg
vatopsk9.jpg

(Left) Seen the screen from the front it looks ok (dont mind the quality of the pic). (Right) Seen from a standing position it looks like this, with a black/gray wave at the bottom.

This 'wave' travels up when standing up and travels down when sitting down and completely dissappears when sitting in front of the monitor. Also, the box in which the monitor came says it has a 178 degrees horizontal viewing angle, but when I move to a 30 degree angle or more (either left or right), the whites and greys on the screen start to get yellowish and gets more yellow as the degree angle increases. So my first question is, is this normal? It was my understanding that the colors stay the same when viewed within these angles, but I could be wrong.

- Banding?: I did the test at http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/64242802 and notice vertical stripes when this black to white gradient is shown.

gradient2td3.jpg
gradientcloseuprb9.jpg

(Left) Vertical stripes. (Right) In closup, also notice the diagonal color transitions in the center of the closeup.

I fired up Paint Shop Pro, and did a little more testing. Green to white and red to white are both perfect, no stripes at all and very smooth color transitions. Blue to white has minor stripes although less noticeable than with black to white. When increasing the contrast the stripes seem to 'move closer' to eachother making the gradient image look a little more smoother but still not smooth enough. Changing the brightness settings has no effect. So my second question is, is this called banding? And if so, how can this be minimized? This sometimes reminds me of working with 16-bit color displays. Perhaps it is worth noting, the monitor is hooked up to the machine using a DVI cable. I have also tried the older VGA connection but that didn't solve the issue.

- Movies: When playing movies, it doesnt matter whether its played with VLC Media Player, Windows Mediaplayer, DIVX player or Winamp, it displays some kind of static through the movies and looks like the gradients aren't smoothed out (somewhat like playing a DIVX movie without a deblocking filter). At first I thought it was because I was sitting too close in front of the monitor (about 70cm/~28 inch). But even at 3 meters, it is still noticeable. Is this related to banding?

As an example, I downloaded two WMV HD videos from Microsofts HD Contect Showcase (Terminator 2: Judgement Day 1080p 117 MB and Dolphins IMAX 1080p 107 MB). See pictures below.

moviedolphinvj2.jpg
moviedolphincloseupqn3.jpg

(Left) Notice the color transitions/gradients which are not smooth, especially on the right side. (Right) Again, but in close-up.

movieterm1eh9.jpg
movieterm2closeupdn4.jpg

(Left) Watch the sky in this shot. (Right) In close-up it is easier to see that there is no smooth color transition. What could be the cause of this?

One last question (and maybe the dumbest of all), the manual says in step 2 to connect the signal cable to the VGA input socket. Step 3 states to connect the signal cable to the DVI-D input socket. I assume only one of these steps has to be performed? And not have to connect both a DVI-D signal cable AND a VGA signal cable to the monitor at the same time?

Thanks in advance,

Jean-Daniel

Hi. I am having exactly the same problem as Jean-Daniel. I bought this monitor after I had read several reviews praising it and looking at the specs by rights it should be a good buy seeing as it is one of Acers professional range monitors.
The problems are with colour transition I think you would call it. When playing video from DVD or any other source the image is very patchy, especially noticable with dark scenes which look very patchy and almost pixelated almost like watching a low res DIVX movie.
The same goes for general graphics, it is noticable when playing games especially dark atmospheric ones like Bioshock.
And worst of all when Editing photos. I do a lot of black and white photography and it's almost inpossible to edit a photo with Photoshop CS3 because there is no smooth transition between shades.
I'm hoping someone can help with this problem and also hoping it is a problem that can be solved especially when you consider the price of this monitor compared to my 19" unbranded TFT i purchased 2 1/2 years ago for £120.00 which had no issues like this.
Please look at the images on Jean-Daniels post for an example of the problem.

Using

Acer AL2423W
Windows Vista Home Premuim 32Bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 Dual core 3.00 GHZ
2GB Mem
Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
Nvidia Forceware 163.69

Thank you very much in advance for any help you may be able to offer

I'm having the same "no signal" problem. It's quite bothersome.

When turning the monitor on, sometimes the "acer" word turns on, off, on, off, for maybe 5-10 times before the picture comes on.

Does anybody know of a solution for this? Seems there were quite a few google hits about the "no signal" problem with this LCD.

I am currently typing this on my 3rd replacement of my AL2423W.

The first one would not show any signal above 1024x768, no matter graphics card i used. I have 3 pc's and I tried nvidia/ati, vga/dvi, and even different cables.

The 2nd one lighted up when I first connected it, but on restart it went black, and stayed that way.

The 3rd one will not show anything above 1600x1200. Nvidia control panel and Ati control panel both recognize it as AL2023/2032. I have no idea why. I have requested another replacement but I have no idea where to go from here and I have little faith that it will be resolved.

I hope you guys know acer doesn't produce MVA 2423W panels for months now and all you can get in shops is 2423WB made on TN. AND most shops are too lazy/stupid to change specifications.
So if you are buying it then it must either be very old supply or TN.

Hi. I am having exactly the same problem as Jean-Daniel. I bought this monitor after I had read several reviews praising it and looking at the specs by rights it should be a good buy seeing as it is one of Acers professional range monitors.
The problems are with colour transition I think you would call it. When playing video from DVD or any other source the image is very patchy, especially noticable with dark scenes which look very patchy and almost pixelated almost like watching a low res DIVX movie.
The same goes for general graphics, it is noticable when playing games especially dark atmospheric ones like Bioshock.
And worst of all when Editing photos. I do a lot of black and white photography and it's almost inpossible to edit a photo with Photoshop CS3 because there is no smooth transition between shades.
I'm hoping someone can help with this problem and also hoping it is a problem that can be solved especially when you consider the price of this monitor compared to my 19" unbranded TFT i purchased 2 1/2 years ago for £120.00 which had no issues like this.
Please look at the images on Jean-Daniels post for an example of the problem.

Using

Acer AL2423W
Windows Vista Home Premuim 32Bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 Dual core 3.00 GHZ
2GB Mem
Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
Nvidia Forceware 163.69

Thank you very much in advance for any help you may be able to offer

I am afraid that this issue is normal for this monitor. I called Acer Service & Support, had my monitor shipped to the Acer repair centre in Germany, 10 days later (weekends not included) I recieved my monitor again with a form attached to it saying that the "Firmware was updated and testing was succesful". I connected the monitor to my computer again, but wasn't able to detect any major improvement.

I have to agree that this monitor is worse for editing photos, as there is no smooth transition between shades, mostly noticable in pictures with transitions from black to white. The size on the other hand is great, don't want to go back to a 17" crt for sure.

I have learned my lesson, next time I will check the transitions between shades full screen before buying a new LCD.

Regards,

Jean-Daniel

I am afraid that this issue is normal for this monitor. I called Acer Service & Support, had my monitor shipped to the Acer repair centre in Germany, 10 days later (weekends not included) I recieved my monitor again with a form attached to it saying that the "Firmware was updated and testing was succesful". I connected the monitor to my computer again, but wasn't able to detect any major improvement.

I have to agree that this monitor is worse for editing photos, as there is no smooth transition between shades, mostly noticable in pictures with transitions from black to white. The size on the other hand is great, don't want to go back to a 17" crt for sure.

I have learned my lesson, next time I will check the transitions between shades full screen before buying a new LCD.

Regards,

Jean-Daniel

Thanks for the reply.

Like you say i suppose we have to learn from our mistake, but what an expensive mistake to make.

Regards

Hey Guys, I just picked up the X243 and am having the following issue with it that I've read elsewhere:

On DVI, "no input" is displayed throughout the boot process (ie. bios -> Desktop). As soon as I hit the desktop, bam, display sees signal.
I have no issue with a Samsung 226CW or L90D+.

While I know the Acer has an issue, I've no idea if upgrading my crazy old X800XT and NF7-S to something really new will actually make it work.

Anyone experience this here?

I don't think it will help - Acer screens tend to have really long search times on diffrent inputs and tend to place DVI dead last in the que.

Ok, it's been about exactly 1.5 years since I've had this monitor. I'm very sad to report, it's now officially DEAD. About two weeks ago, I started having a strange problem where I would turn the monitor on, and for about a minute or two it would show strange striping patterns, and flicker until it finally would show the signal. After it was done flickering, it was fine. Well it took increasingly longer to turn it on until I had to hard-switch the power off on the back to "reset" it. Well now it won't even turn on at all, don't know why. My guess is the electronics that go to the actual panel aren't of good quality, and thus what was causing the "no-signal" problem that some people have been experiencing.

The effect looks somewhat like this:

Luckily though, looking at the papers that came with the monitor, it comes with a 3-year warranty so I can send it in to be repaired. I've been looking on some websites, and it looks like for some reason the AL2423W isn't listed anymore... even on Acer's website.

If they end up sending me a "refurbished" model with dead pixels (Like Sony did to me once) because they don't make the model any more, I'm going to be PISSED!

gradient2td3.jpg
gradientcloseuprb9.jpg

Dude, just like ten other people on this thread, you are trying to test your monitor out by looking at low-quality JPEGS with gradients on them. I can tell you right now, those are artifacts and bands from someome making a gradient and then saving it at like 60% quality for the web. Go get Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro and make a black to white gradient, it will look much different :) This monitor has some of the best transitions from back-to-white I've seen. You can't get much better. If you guys are saying that working with black and white is terrible on this monitor solely from those compressed JPGs on that website, you're under false assumptions.

On DVI, "no input" is displayed throughout the boot process (ie. bios -> Desktop). As soon as I hit the desktop, bam, display sees signal.
I have no issue with a Samsung 226CW or L90D+.

While I know the Acer has an issue, I've no idea if upgrading my crazy old X800XT and NF7-S to something really new will actually make it work.

If it's the same issue as I'm thinking of, I've already posted a fix: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030856297&postcount=175
Just unplug the monitor a while, or turn off the hard power switch on the back for a little while.

wow, suckage! well at least new large LCDs are pretty cheap these days.. the HannsG 28" is super nice for about $499 or so.. my AL2423W does sometimes not come on when I turn it on with the power button, but the Acer log pulses in my face over and over.. I then need to power cycle the monitor at the power rocket switch.. then it works ok. it's happening more often as time goes on. not sure if it's a bad sign, but anyways... it's been a good monitor while I have had it!

Yeah well, I'm getting depressed. I looked up some monitors on Newegg.com, and then did some research on them. It seems that most of them average at like 45ms input lag if they've been tested. It appears input lag is becoming so common all monitors suffer from it. I guess I better get used to sluggish input now and prepare myself...

my AL2423W does sometimes not come on when I turn it on with the power button, but the Acer log pulses in my face over and over.. I then need to power cycle the monitor at the power rocket switch..

Strange, I solved that problem permanently by unplugging the AL2423W over night...

Ok, it's been about exactly 1.5 years since I've had this monitor. I'm very sad to report, it's now officially DEAD. About two weeks ago, I started having a strange problem where I would turn the monitor on, and for about a minute or two it would show strange striping patterns, and flicker until it finally would show the signal. After it was done flickering, it was fine. Well it took increasingly longer to turn it on until I had to hard-switch the power off on the back to "reset" it. Well now it won't even turn on at all, don't know why. My guess is the electronics that go to the actual panel aren't of good quality, and thus what was causing the "no-signal" problem that some people have been experiencing.

The effect looks somewhat like this:

Luckily though, looking at the papers that came with the monitor, it comes with a 3-year warranty so I can send it in to be repaired. I've been looking on some websites, and it looks like for some reason the AL2423W isn't listed anymore... even on Acer's website.

If they end up sending me a "refurbished" model with dead pixels (Like Sony did to me once) because they don't make the model any more, I'm going to be PISSED! ...

Interesting. Yesterday and today I saw something similar, albeit w/horizontal lines as opposed to your vertical ones, when I turned on the display for the first time of the day. I had to cycle it on and off a dozen or so times to get a clean screen, but once I did ... it's working like a champ again. And I found this thread via a Google search after I couldn't find the AL2423W on the Acer site either. :)

Guess I'd better get the camera out, get some pictures and get ready to contact Acer Service. <sigh> Even if they repair it under warranty, the shipping costs on something this size can't be too cheap. :(

pat----

ps, (edit) - In fact, I've just submitted a trouble ticket through their web site. Who knows ... maybe I'll get lucky and they'll say they can send me a board I can swap out & return? :) When it's working, I do love this display. <sigh>

Mine's going to be on the way to TX this evening. <sigh> They think one or more of the electronics boards is going bad. 7 to 10 business days. <whimper>

Oh well. The guy DID say they should just swap the electronics as needed and I should get back my original panel ... sure hope so ... I do love this display. <sigh>

pat----

Cornflake and psklenar,

Were your monitors fixed? Was it the mainboard?

My monitor is experiencing the same stripes at startup. Unfortunately, it is not under waranty. However, I can order parts from acer.

Please let me know what the problem was so that I might be able to fix my monitor.

Thanks in advance!!

:eek:

Medyaker,

Not sure about Cornflake, but my monitor was repaired and is working perfectly. I was lucky, mine was handled under warranty, but it still cost me $80.66 to ship it from CT to TX what with insurance and all. I can't find the receipt that came back with the display, but it was purely an electronics issue. My panel is my original one and it's just so darn nice to not have to worry about it powering off on me or acting weird or anything.

I'm sorry I can't give you better information. :(

pat----

Back