Alienware AW3225QF 32" 4K 240 Hz OLED

Have you tried changing the DP cable? I got the monitor today, updated the firmware, played some games and shutdown my PC. Turned it back on and it still saved at 240hz. This is with HDR on in Win 11 and monitor.
Hmm.. that's odd. I'm using the original DP cable that came in the box with the monitor (my other DP 1.4 cable was only rated for 4K 144Hz so I ordered an "8K" cable that can do 4K 240Hz from Amazon but it's on its way). I too have HDR on in Win 11 and on the monitor - which HDR setting do you use on the monitor btw? I have mine to HDR Peak 1000.

This is quite concerning then - if you're using the DP port/cable and don't have this issue then is my monitor faulty? The thread I linked to before (https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...ts-with-120hz-active/65a48c24896bf44a6cea740f) shows others having the same issue.

Do you have a 2nd monitor connected to the GPU (I'm using the RTX 4090 FE)? The Asus PG32UQX is 4K 144Hz and is also connected via DP 1.4. I don't think that should be an issue since when I do the gimmick it sets to 240Hz correctly. The other weird thing is when I play GTA V, there is no 240Hz option in the graphics settings (!) even though NVCP says it's set at 240Hz. All other games seem to recognize it - can you check to see if you have GTA V whether you can set it to 3840x2160 @ 240Hz?

I'm going to try the new cable from Amazon but this is quite worrisome. I also just installed the new Nvidia Hotfix driver (551.46) and the issue persists.

Last edited:
Hmm.. that's odd. I'm using the original DP cable that came in the box with the monitor (my other DP 1.4 cable was only rated for 4K 144Hz so I ordered an "8K" cable that can do 4K 240Hz from Amazon but it's on its way). I too have HDR on in Win 11 and on the monitor - which HDR setting do you use on the monitor btw? I have mine to HDR Peak 1000.

This is quite concerning then - if you're using the DP port/cable and don't have this issue then is my monitor faulty? The thread I linked to before (https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...ts-with-120hz-active/65a48c24896bf44a6cea740f) shows others having the same issue.

Do you have a 2nd monitor connected to the GPU (I'm using the RTX 4090 FE)? The Asus PG32UQX is 4K 144Hz and is also connected via DP 1.4. I don't think that should be an issue since when I do the gimmick it sets to 240Hz correctly. The other weird thing is when I play GTA V, there is no 240Hz option in the graphics settings (!) even though NVCP says it's set at 240Hz. All other games seem to recognize it - can you check to see if you have GTA V whether you can set it to 3840x2160 @ 240Hz?

I'm going to try the new cable from Amazon but this is quite worrisome. I also just installed the new Nvidia Hotfix driver (551.46) and the issue persists.
I shutdown again and power back on and it's still at 240hz. My HDR is Peak 1000. The cable I'm using is Asus but I'm not sure if it's from my Asus PG32UQX or the PG27AQDM that I returned a while back. I don't have a second monitor only one connected to my GPU, a 4090. I'm using the latest Nvidia hotfix 551.46, native 4k (no resolution scaling of any kind) and I have it set to "Use default color settings". I don't have GTAV installed unfortunately. Have you tried using Display Driver Uninstaller to completely wipe the GPU driver and reinstall it?

Reading the W OLED and Pentile non-standard, non RGB pixel layout complaints/preferences in some of the latest replies, then a reply saying they'd like a 40 - 45" 240Hz model. . .

One of the things that the 32" 4k screen is doing for people, besides 240hz, is giving them a much higher PPD on their desk than if they shoe-horned a 42" (or larger) gaming tv right onto their desk. That also provides a more ergonomic viewing angle which also reduces uniformity issues, distortion. So with the 32" size on a desk at 4k, the text looks a lot tighter than a 42"+ screen on a desk and will exhibit less visible fringing. Larger perceived pixel sizes can also make occasional edge artifacts more obvious in (DLSS +) Frame generation. The 2d desktop's graphics and imagery get no text-ss or game graphics anti-aliasing to mask how large the pixels actually appear to you either. Bigger pixels, bigger problems. (If willing and able, you can decouple a larger gaming screen from a desk though, and at the same viewing angle you'd get the same PPD and perceived pixel sizes as a "desktop sized" 4k monitor).

So there can be tradeoffs there between (4k) screen sizes depending how you are using them. I expect that people using the 32" 4k's on their desk will be much less vocal about text fringing. From the video reviews of the AW3225QF I've seen, the reviewers seem to be saying that the text is much tighter (since the pixels appear much smaller to you at desk distances than a larger gaming tv on a desk).

I wish this monitor was 40-45". I want to try a 240Hz large screen. There's no way I would ever go back to a 32, but I would settle for a 43" minimum. Also if the price is right, being that it will likely burn in. Still would be interesting to try the difference between 144 & 240.

I like a more spacious setup with larger screens but I consider 60 PPD a minimum for 4k, and I really prefer ~ 70 PPD on a 4k. So to me, screen size would really depend on the layout. I wouldn't want a larger screen viewed at 52 PPD personally, where the pixel sizes would look more like a ~1500p desktop-sized monitor's pixel sizes.

42" 4k screen at 24" view distance, 75 deg angle = 52 PPD

27" screen 2688 x 1512 rez at 24" view distance = 52 PPD

32" 4k screen at 24" view distance, 60 deg viewing angle = 64 PPD
42" 4k screen at 29" view distance, 64 deg viewing angle = 60 PPD
42" 4k screen at 32" view distance, 60 deg viewing angle = 64 PPD

https://qasimk.io/screen-ppd/

If you are worried about burn in, you could suffer the insurance cost and get a 5 year best buy warranty which covers burn-in, if you have a bestbuy in your country and the screen you want is available from bb. The sticker price of the BB warranty is there but spread across 5 years it's probably worth it for people worried about burn in (plus covers other failings of screens which can happen). The alienware of this thread is supposed to have a 3yr burn in warranty from dell though but I don't know a lot about their support system.

Last edited:
Reading the W OLED and Pentile non-standard, non RGB pixel layout complaints/preferences in some of the latest replies, then a reply saying they'd like a 40 - 45" 240Hz model. . .

One of the things that the 32" 4k screen is doing for people, besides 240hz, is giving them a much higher PPD on their desk than if they shoe-horned a 42" (or larger) gaming tv right onto their desk. That also provides a more ergonomic viewing angle which also reduces uniformity issues, distortion. So with the 32" size on a desk at 4k, the text looks a lot tighter than a 42"+ screen on a desk and will exhibit less visible fringing. Larger perceived pixel sizes can also make occasional edge artifacts more obvious in (DLSS +) Frame generation. The 2d desktop's graphics and imagery get no text-ss or game graphics anti-aliasing to mask how large the pixels actually appear to you either. Bigger pixels, bigger problems. (If willing and able, you can decouple a larger gaming screen from a desk though, and at the same viewing angle you'd get the same PPD and perceived pixel sizes as a "desktop sized" 4k monitor).

So there can be tradeoffs there between (4k) screen sizes depending how you are using them. I expect that people using the 32" 4k's on their desk will be much less vocal about text fringing. From the video reviews of the AW3225QF I've seen, the reviewers seem to be saying that the text is much tighter (since the pixels appear much smaller to you at desk distances than a larger gaming tv on a desk).

I like a more spacious setup with larger screens but I consider 60 PPD a minimum for 4k, and I really prefer ~ 70 PDD on a 4k. So to me, screen size would really depend on the layout. I wouldn't want a larger screen viewed at 52 PPD personally, where the pixel sizes would look more like a ~1500p desktop-sized monitor's pixel sizes.

42" 4k screen at 24" view distance, 75 deg angle = 52 PPD

27" screen 2688 x 1512 rez at 24" view distance = 52 PPD

32" 4k screen at 24" view distance, 60 deg viewing angle = 64 PPD
42" 4k screen at 29" view distance, 64 deg viewing angle = 60 PPD
42" 4k screen at 32" view distance, 60 deg viewing angle = 64 PPD

https://qasimk.io/screen-ppd/

If you are worried about burn in, you could suffer the insurance cost and get a 5 year best buy warranty which covers burn-in, if you have a bestbuy in your country and the screen you want is available from bb. The sticker price of the BB warranty is there but spread across 5 years it's probably worth it for people worried about burn in (plus covers other failings of screens which can happen). The alienware of this thread is supposed to have a 3yr burn in warranty from dell though but I don't know a lot about their support system.
Yea I'm easily 35" inches away with keyboard and mouse leaning back in my executive chair which is my normal seating position for comfort and mouse control.
Then if I use a controller I'm probably about 45" inches away from the screen. PPD isn't a problem for me because my desk is a bit deeper and I can adjust for better PPD.
That being said a 32" would need to be pulled in so far up I wouldn't have enough mouse space for my competitive shooters. I don't want to deal with a monitor arm either because I don't want a smaller screen pulled up closer to my face anyway.
A little further back and larger screen is more immersive to me rather than a smaller screen pulled up. PPD can be adjusted however you like but the screen size difference is a big decision maker. I'm just done with smaller screens they feel cramped and small.

Reactions: elvn
like this
I shutdown again and power back on and it's still at 240hz. My HDR is Peak 1000. The cable I'm using is Asus but I'm not sure if it's from my Asus PG32UQX or the PG27AQDM that I returned a while back. I don't have a second monitor only one connected to my GPU, a 4090. I'm using the latest Nvidia hotfix 551.46, native 4k (no resolution scaling of any kind) and I have it set to "Use default color settings". I don't have GTAV installed unfortunately. Have you tried using Display Driver Uninstaller to completely wipe the GPU driver and reinstall it?

That was the culprit - I disconnected the PG32UQX, shut down the PC and then restarted it and it was still at 240hz! So having a 2nd monitor connected seems to mess with the settings somehow and makes it default to 120Hz upon reboot/restart. I definitely need the 2nd monitor so this is not ideal - I have to open a support ticket with Dell but unless dozens of people complain about this, I wonder if it will ever get addressed/fixed(?).

The GTA V bug is still weird though - on my Samsung Neo G9 49" (5120x1440 @ 240Hz), the 240Hz option shows up without issue (DP 1.4) but on this Alienware OLED panel, it does not. All other games have the option so it doesn't seem like a monitor issue(?).

The only other thing I'm going to try is the new DP "8K" cable from Amazon and if that doesn't work, then I'll try the HDMI 2.1 cable - hopefully that work unless Dell wakes up and fixes this issue through another firmware update.

That was the culprit - I disconnected the PG32UQX, shut down the PC and then restarted it and it was still at 240hz! So having a 2nd monitor connected seems to mess with the settings somehow and makes it default to 120Hz upon reboot/restart. I definitely need the 2nd monitor so this is not ideal - I have to open a support ticket with Dell but unless dozens of people complain about this, I wonder if it will ever get addressed/fixed(?).

The GTA V bug is still weird though - on my Samsung Neo G9 49" (5120x1440 @ 240Hz), the 240Hz option shows up without issue (DP 1.4) but on this Alienware OLED panel, it does not. All other games have the option so it doesn't seem like a monitor issue(?).

The only other thing I'm going to try is the new DP "8K" cable from Amazon and if that doesn't work, then I'll try the HDMI 2.1 cable - hopefully that work unless Dell wakes up and fixes this issue through another firmware update.

Might not help since 240 worked on your other screen, but here are a couple things to try in case you haven't:

nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings > program settings > add GTA V > preferred refresh highest available

^ that is for refresh rate. On the other hand, are normally are capping the fps a few below the max refresh rate

Ensure that gta v is set to run full screen exclusive mode (re launch game after changing anything)

Research using launch options like

-freq 240 or -refresh 240

Different 8k cable, different gpu port (if possible port types vs features wise on gpu).

HDR off? (Restart game)

Vsync off in game settings

Check cfgs, ini, set resolution and refresh rate in those if possible

Bring gta v back to fresh install state with no mods. then retry some of the above as necessary.

Last edited:
I'm honestly on the fence on this one. The pattern itself is a bit weird with green being bigger than red and blue, so I get that. But for the most part it reminds me of the old shadow mask CRT's. So long as the pixel density is enough it shouldn't be too bad. And then there's WRGB with that white sub pixel. Wut? Get that out of here.

If only OLED's were bright/emissive enough to do a classic RGB stripe setup that we all know and love. But for obvious reasons, that's not feasible.
Current gen WOLED is actually RWGB.

Thus is the aw3225qf pixel structure picture from the RTings review:

pixels-small.jpg

LG C3 RTings

pixels-small.jpg

Avs forum
20230328_131036-jpg.3425941

Last edited:
Reactions: Xar
like this
Current gen WOLED is actually RWGB.
Got it - yeah I got the order wrong. But my point is still thus - none of them have the standard RGB stripe we all know and love. So it's very much of a "pick your poison" kind of deal - or just get something with enough pixel density that it doesn't matter. :D

Got it - yeah I got the order wrong. But my point is still thus - none of them have the standard RGB stripe we all know and love. So it's very much of a "pick your poison" kind of deal - or just get something with enough pixel density that it doesn't matter. :D
I think the reason why we don't have any yet is because of brightness and longevity issues. We know JOLED were trying to make RGB OLED panels, but now they're out of business.

So I had ordered this panel and the 57 inch samsung panel to replace three aging FV43U panels to compliment a newer and smaller desk setup.

Wow this thing is insane. Not sure if its from the jump from VA or the switch to 240HZ over 144, but the motion clarity is substantially better than anything I have ever used before. Panning from side to side in League of Legends is insanely crispy and clear. It is wild. I have it on a monitor arm and to compensate for switching to a dramatically smaller screen I have the thing kinda yolked right into my face and its quite nice. I appreciate the gloss, as my room is pretty dark with some dark paneling on alot of my setup/walls.

I pretty much only use my front and center monitor for reddit, and gaming, so I cant really comment on video content as i cannot imagine being really engrossed in a movie on a 32 inch monitor.

As far as negatives go, it feels dim, and this might be a me problem, for a few different reasons. I do not use HDR ever, and that is the case with all of my displays, it just never looks right to me, so that may be affecting the peak luminescence and brightness coming from the display. This might also be slightly particular to me because i run a 75 inch mini LED TV above my computer monitors for youtube all the time, so im sure in terms of my eyes its competing with the mini LED in terms of brightness, but this thing cannot compete.

My gut feeling is that it is going to be very difficult for me to get this monitor off of the arm and throw on the 57 inch when it gets delivered on Wednesday, because of the VA panel and the fact that it only runs at 120HZ at native resolution on my 4090.

If anyone has any questions or particular use cases you would like my opinion on or specific things you would like me to test I would be more than happy to do so.

Picture attached to kind of give an idea of the temporary setup right now.

Attachments

• Mons1.jpg
    Mons1.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 1
Wow this thing is insane. Not sure if its from the jump from VA or the switch to 240HZ over 144, but the motion clarity is substantially better than anything I have ever used before.
It's not the refresh rate, it is the OLED technology. It is one of the things that it is really, really good at because of the fast transitions. Not saying that 240Hz doesn't help as well, but it is pretty minor. You can notice the difference between 120-240, but it is more subtle than you might think depending on the content. But the high speed transitions OLED offers make for much clearer motion.

As far as negatives go, it feels dim, and this might be a me problem, for a few different reasons. I do not use HDR ever, and that is the case with all of my displays, it just never looks right to me, so that may be affecting the peak luminescence and brightness coming from the display. This might also be slightly particular to me because i run a 75 inch mini LED TV above my computer monitors for youtube all the time, so im sure in terms of my eyes its competing with the mini LED in terms of brightness, but this thing cannot compete.
That is the downside of OLED at the moment is it just can't get that bright. They can do pretty big peak brightness but they just can't sustain it over the whole screen because of power and heat limits.

It's not the refresh rate, it is the OLED technology. It is one of the things that it is really, really good at because of the fast transitions. Not saying that 240Hz doesn't help as well, but it is pretty minor. You can notice the difference between 120-240, but it is more subtle than you might think depending on the content. But the high speed transitions OLED offers make for much clearer motion.
I think it must be a combination, as I was running one of the 55CX models when it first came out to play Cyberpunk and i just dont remember it being this clear. Perhaps my eyes aren't really happy with things until the frame rate is cranked above a certain level or maybe its just the fact its on a smaller display and I can take in more information, but I do not remember the CX blowing me away like this one does.

If you don't use HDR at all then this monitor should be plenty bright. SDR is mastered to 100 nits and the Alienware is capable of 250 nits fullscreen. If you're trying to view SDR content and find yourself needing 400+ nits fullscreen then your room lighting must be pretty bright which sorta defeats the purpose of an OLED in the first place as they are meant to be viewed in a dark room.

I think it must be a combination, as I was running one of the 55CX models when it first came out to play Cyberpunk and i just dont remember it being this clear. Perhaps my eyes aren't really happy with things until the frame rate is cranked above a certain level or maybe its just the fact its on a smaller display and I can take in more information, but I do not remember the CX blowing me away like this one does.

I have a c177....the AW32 240hz blows it away.

120hz is to slow for oled and doesn't look as good vs 120hz lcd because the lcd blur actually helps 120hz look better.

I have a c177....the AW32 240hz blows it away.

120hz is to slow for oled and doesn't look as good vs 120hz lcd because the lcd blur actually helps 120hz look better.
I am inclined to think this is true after using this monitor in person. Its pretty wild how instantaneous everything feels in motion compared to every other monitor I have ever used.

I'm able to run AW32 4k240 and Innocn 4k160 simultaneously just fine....and switch off each and renable each with zero issues.

Then today I added a second 4k160 and all hell broke loose. Apparently 4090s can't hack 3 high refresh 4k displays at the same time and I could only run 2 displays simultaneously. Worse the 240hz option for the aw32 was GONE and no matter what I tried I could not get 240hz back until I unplugged third display 😞

I am inclined to think this is true after using this monitor in person. Its pretty wild how instantaneous everything feels in motion compared to every other monitor I have ever used.

The aw32 has made mediocre games like Halo Infinite multiplayer incredible... and Helldivers 2 looks and plays incredible. Older games that hit constant 240hz are perfection.

It's truly a much better gaming experience than the fw900 ever was....only took 22 years!

"The first rule of Ravenholm is we don't talk about Ravenholm..."

"The second rule of Ravenholm is WE DON'T TALK ABOUT RAVENHOLM."

~ Abraham Lincoln

I'm able to run AW32 4k240 and Innocn 4k160 simultaneously just fine....and switch off each and renable each with zero issues.

Then today I added a second 4k160 and all hell broke loose. Apparently 4090s can't hack 3 high refresh 4k displays at the same time and I could only run 2 displays simultaneously. Worse the 240hz option for the aw32 was GONE and no matter what I tried I could not get 240hz back until I unplugged third display 😞

Most of this is from a reddit user's reply , and a tweaktown review
. . .

"
According to the tweaktown article below:

NVIDIA's specs for the GeForce RTX 4090 list the maximum capabilities as "4 independent displays at 4K 120Hz using DP or HDMI, 2 independent displays at 4K 240Hz or 8K 60Hz with DSC using DP or HDMI." Could support be added as part of a driver update? That remains to be seen."

"

Reddit user reply from a g95nc thread

I want to clarify how DSC works since I have yet to see anyone actually understand what is going on.
DSC uses display pipelines within the GPU silicon itself to compress the the image down. Ever notice how one or more display output ports will be disabled when using DSC at X resolution and Y frequency? That is because the GPU stealing those display lanes to process and compress the image.
So what does this mean? It means if the configuration, in silicon, does not allow for enough display output pipelines to to be used by a single output port, THAT is where the bottleneck occurs."

Nividia's own spec notes that only 8k 60hz is feasible using DSC over HDMI 2.1 on their cards by disabling at least one port (it will just disable the one that isn't plugged in), so it's clear all the display pipelines are interconnected for use together. I suppose it may be possible to forcibly disable 2 ports to achieve a high enough internal bandwidth to deal with 240hz at 1/2 8k resolution, but again, that is also determined by the slicing and compression capabilities."

Could be display stream compression enabled for 240hz and not necessary for 120hz ?

Some of this below might be dated, idk. Maybe something in here applies to your question.

Sounds like setting 240Hz applies DSC and that makes the nvidia gpus fail and default back to 60hz, at least when at 10bit setting. I'd suspect the 120hz setting is for consoles and other 120hz devices, non DSC compatibility.

I'm trying to follow along on this issue out of curiosity about the G95NC and nvidia tech but also because the nvidia limitations might also impact me if I ever do an 8k gaming tv setup. For example, the ports and hardware on the upcoming samsung 900D 8k tv on the TV end of the equation can do 8k 120hz and 4k 240hz (upscaled to 8k using their new and improved AI upscaling chip).

. . . . . . . . . .

From the reddit user referenced in the TweakTown Article below:

You cannot run G9 57' even with 4090 (reddit link)

"The 4090's (and all 3000 and 4000 series for that matter) support full 48Gbps bandwidth over HDMI 2.1
I want to clarify how DSC works since I have yet to see anyone actually understand what is going on.
DSC uses display pipelines within the GPU silicon itself to compress the the image down. Ever notice how one or more display output ports will be disabled when using DSC at X resolution and Y frequency? That is because the GPU stealing those display lanes to process and compress the image.
So what does this mean? It means if the configuration, in silicon, does not allow for enough display output pipelines to to be used by a single output port, THAT is where the bottleneck occurs.
But there are deeper things with DSC than bandwidth. There is also how the compression is done, both ratio wise and slice wise. DSC will happily allow a 3.75:1 ratio for 10 bit inputs so long as the driver/firmware of the GPU allows for it (as it is part of DSC spec). Nvidia's VR API tools for developers only allow for a max of 3:1 it should be noted.
The allowable slice dimensions and count (how the screen is divided for compression) also determines how much throughput can be achieved (by way of increasing parallelism during compression). This is a silicon/hardware limitation, though again, could be limited by firmware.
So there are two possible things that will happen with Nvidia cards:

• Silicon supports enough bandwidth sharing/slices/compression and a driver update can allow for 240hz
  • Silicon does not support enough bandwidth sharing/slices/compression and no driver can fix it
Nividia's own spec notes that only 8k 60hz is feasible using DSC over HDMI 2.1 on their cards by disabling at least one port (it will just disable the one that isn't plugged in), so it's clear all the display pipelines are interconnected for use together. I suppose it may be possible to forcibly disable 2 ports to achieve a high enough internal bandwidth to deal with 240hz at 1/2 8k resolution, but again, that is also determined by the slicing and compression capabilities."

According to the tweaktown article below:

NVIDIA's specs for the GeForce RTX 4090 list the maximum capabilities as "4 independent displays at 4K 120Hz using DP or HDMI, 2 independent displays at 4K 240Hz or 8K 60Hz with DSC using DP or HDMI." Could support be added as part of a driver update? That remains to be seen.

. . . . . . . . . .

From Rtings review of the G95NC (Nov 20, 2023) :

. . .

The chart below doesn't show 8 bit vs 10bit.

september 2023
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9342...240-samsung-odyssey-g9-neo-monitor/index.html

So... my question about Super Mario World was legitimate. Speedrunners currently still use CRT for clarity and input lag reasons.

Grand Poo World 3 was #1 on Twitch for like a week when it came out in November.

So... my question about Super Mario World was legitimate. Speedrunners currently still use CRT for clarity and input lag reasons.

Grand Poo World 3 was #1 on Twitch for like a week when it came out in November.
There will never be a lag free digital display. The digital image data needs to be processed in some way before being output on the screen, and there will always be latency in that process.

Agreed. I compared the C2/C3 to the 57" and although the LCD seems to be really responsive for an LCD and running at double the refresh rate, the C2/C3 image just felt smoother/cleaner when comparing them.

I don't always buy high end, high resolution, high refresh displays.....but when I do its to play 40 year old NES ROMS!

Does this look like the Mario you remember?

There's a huge community around these hacks. It's an extra selling point if the lag is close enough to CRT, many of the inputs need to be frame-perfect timing.

View: https://youtu.be/GY0HnqnYMO8?t=43

Last edited:
Does this look like the Mario you remember?

There's a huge community around these hacks. It's an extra selling point if the lag is close enough to CRT.

View: https://youtu.be/LJGa5oy_4jA?t=46

Neat. Being #1 on twitch as a spotlight "game of the moment" doesn't necessarily mean everyone wants to play it though, or even owns it or has it installed.

You can like watching someone be tortured without wanting to be be the victim yourself.

Like watching a fighter without wanting to get your head pummeled for al living yourself, watch someone juggle running chainsaws without giving it a try, etc. That or watching people finish elden ring, etc using a dance pad or whatever lol. Can be entertaining to watch but most of the people watching aren't doing it.

12k views on that vid isn't exactly a huge community either, on that specific video at least.

I'd argue most people are using a 240hz *4k* HDR powerhouse of a screen with 3080, 3090, or 4000 series or 4090 gpus if they can get them, and in order to be able to play very high detail games at over 120fpsHz, including often those games that need to use DLSS + frame generation in order to get well over 120fpsHz in the first place. That AND, that they can get higher PPD and larger desktop/app real-estate. Not playing a bitmapped american ninja in a blender game on a crt. But to each their own.

. . . . . . .

At least from RTings review of the alienware aw3225qf, these are the input lag results they got:

Native Resolution @ Max Hz

2.9 ms

Native Resolution @ 120Hz

6.3 ms

Native Resolution @ 60Hz

13.5 ms

Backlight Strobing (BFI)

N/A

The Dell AW3225QF has low input lag for a responsive feel. Although the 240Hz and 60Hz results are with Console Mode off, the 120Hz result is with Console Mode set to 'Legacy Mode' as it's the only way to get 120Hz from a PC over HDMI. That said, the input lag remains the same whether you enable Console Mode or not or even if you use a DisplayPort connection.

Response time results:

Recommended Overdrive Setting: No Overdrive

Rise / Fall Time: 0.3 ms

Total Response Time: 1.3 ms

Overshoot Error: 0.3%

Worst 3 Rise / Fall Time: 0.4 ms

Worst 3 Total Response Time: 6.9 ms

Worst 3 Overshoot Error: 2.4%

tables-max-large.jpg

The Dell AW3225QF has a near-instantaneous response time at its max refresh rate of 240Hz. Motion looks incredible without any blur trail or inverse ghosting behind fast-moving objects. That said, because of the sample-and-hold method that OLEDs use, there's still some persistence blur, and it doesn't have a black frame insertion feature to reduce this.

==============================================

240FpsHz maxed at 240fps minimum on easy to render games should have 1/2 the blur of 120fpsHz but it will still blur. Maybe more commonly of a "vibration blur" than a "smearing blur" at high speed movement (as ufo test can show), especially in 1st person games where you are moving the whole viewport around constantly. For me, 120fps or higher in HDR and at high rez realized as fairly high 60+ PPD, (+ VRR) on a fairly large gaming display trump the cons of BFI or small screen and age issue susceptible bulky old CRTs in the overall game presentation by a landslide.

I did run fw900 next to a LCD for a number of years though, but that was years ago. I went through two fw900s at that time. For me, running two different screens to get the best of tradeoffs is the better way to do it. I've done two (or more) different screens since at least 2006, but I'm long done with crts.

Last edited:
12k views on that vid isn't exactly a huge community either, on that specific video at least.
Ya, I copied the wrong one. That was day 0 right when it released, so every mario streamer was playing it at the same time. The AGDQ vid I changed it to was the one I was going for, 2.5M views in 4 years.

The guy the hack is named after is a sponsored Red Bull athlete, and does national bar tour events with drinking and speedruns.

Looks great, I was just curious if anyone had tried it yet, but it looks super promising. The Asus is out on Friday, that's where I'm taking my chance I think or I might grab them both to compare.

Reactions: elvn
like this

If it helps any -

I have the AW3225QF connected to a 4090 via HDMI at 2160p240, then two PG279Qs via DP at 1440p144. All displays are coming up after reboots with the correct/intended resolution and refresh rates. Ensure the firmware and your GPU drivers are up-to-date (I have not tried their hotfix driver yet), but I guess failing that, try HDMI.

As far as my experiences go, it's been good, mostly. It's my first foray into HDR and I've struggled to know what is "correct" HDR output or not, given the lack of ideal target comparisons, a variety of available settings/standards, and that there's this Dolby Vision persistence/issue that's throwing things off, reportedly.
I suspect something is wrong since the reds/oranges in Modern Warfare 3 (in highlighting sights) are suspiciously red to the point of being detrimental, and Nvidia's overlay has green highlights that seem too bright to be sensible.

I also get momentary black screens occasionally, but more often sitting in the desktop while watching a video. I doubt it's the HDMI cable, as usually you can wiggle a cable to recreate such problems, and I haven't had that kind of luck yet. But maybe it's otherwise some other non-continuity issue, I guess.
That said, I also haven't tried swapping cables or protocols. Also unsure if it's tied to G-Sync (Compatible mode) or not. I run with G-Sync enabled for Windowed and Fullscreen Exclusive mode in the drivers.

As a note/idea and area of discussion for others with more monitors, would using a DisplayPort MST hub/dock (which supports DSC) be helpful? As we know, you're reasonably limited to two DSC-enabled displays on current Nvidia cards, but your second, third, and potentially fourth displays could instead run off an MST hub, with one DSC stream terminating there. So, acting as an interposer of sorts.
As for practical limits, I'm not certain if this helps everyone, though - for instance, would a second and third monitor on the MST hub even use DSC to run at maximum resolution and refresh rate in the first place? I dunno! My other monitors are all non-DSC.

Ya, I copied the wrong one. That was day 0 right when it released, so every mario streamer was playing it at the same time. The AGDQ vid I changed it to was the one I was going for, 2.5M views in 4 years.

The guy the hack is named after is a sponsored Red Bull athlete, and does national bar tour events with drinking and speedruns.

Looks great, I was just curious if anyone had tried it yet, but it looks super promising. The Asus is out on Friday, that's where I'm taking my chance I think or I might grab them both to compare.

edited my reply since I originally pasted only the response time, not the input lag #'s

At max 240fpsHz the input lag on the AW3225QF is 2.9ms (according to RTings results)

LG CX. 4k VRR 5.9 ms

LG C2. 4K 120 Hz. 5.9 ms

G95NC FALD LCD
240 Hz. 2.9 ms
120 Hz. 5.6 ms

Human gamer response time
~ 150ms to 180ms

Last edited:
That's unparalleled and kinda insane in every display segment, isnt it?

Its related to refresh rate, as you can see in the numbers in the full reply, both of the screen's that are at 2.9ms are only that at 240 Hz, and with vrr that means 240 fps rather than lower frame rates where the hz would be lower.

1000ms divided by 240fpsHz is 4.16 ms per frame draw compared to double ~ 8.3ms for 120fpsHz to just see new frames to begin with. Then you have 150 - 180ms of human "input lag" reaction time and your electronic's input lag on top of that.

Interestingly, along with the aw3225qf, the g95nc 57" 7680 x 2160 FALD which is also 240hz capable, is also rated at 2.9ms at 240 Hz by the RTings results.

At 120hz , the aw3225qf goes back up to 6.3ms and the G95nc goes back up to 5.6, the same as most of LG's 120hz OLED gaming tvs when at 120fpsHz. So just having a high hz monitor isn't enough, using VRR you'd need to be at 240fps *solid* not average to maintain those input lag numbers. Imo those are all pretty negligible amounts though even at 120.

Online gaming server code machinations (lower tick rates, internet lag and biased forms of interpolation-compensation) muddy all of that considerably away from a 1:1 relationship. Single player/lan is probably more meaningful but all of those input lag numbers are pretty low, and most people's frame rates are a roller coaster of varying frame rate in most games outside of extremely easy to render ones.

To me, the benefits of 240fpsHZ would be more about this, (when able to get the kind of frame rates to fill it) :

- still getting appreciable increase in motion articulation. "More dots per dotted line curve", "more unique animation cell pages in an animation flip book and flipping faster". There are probably diminishing returns on that somewhere after 200fpsHz or so but 240 is still getting gains here compared to 120 or 165 fpsHz.

- Increased motion clarity. Cutting the sample-and-hold blur aka image persistence by half at 240fpsHz vs 120fpsHz, or at least reducing blur a little more throughout a higher fpsHz graph using VRR than where you'd be capped at 120fpsHz on other screens.

Last edited:
Might not help since 240 worked on your other screen, but here are a couple things to try in case you haven't:

nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings > program settings > add GTA V > preferred refresh highest available

^ that is for refresh rate. On the other hand, are normally are capping the fps a few below the max refresh rate

Ensure that gta v is set to run full screen exclusive mode (re launch game after changing anything)

Research using launch options like

-freq 240 or -refresh 240

Different 8k cable, different gpu port (if possible port types vs features wise on gpu).

HDR off? (Restart game)

Vsync off in game settings

Check cfgs, ini, set resolution and refresh rate in those if possible

Bring gta v back to fresh install state with no mods. then retry some of the above as necessary.

Will give this a try but I haven't change the cfg settings for GTA V. The game is heavily modded (I have 3000 add on vehicles, using Realism Beyond, and a shit-ton of other mods) but nothing that messes with the refresh rate.

Is the AW connected via HDMI 2.1 or DP 1.4? If it's HDMI, then yes it should work. Also, which DP port are you using on the 4090 for the AW? I have mine connected to the 2nd DP connector (see pic):

Screenshot 2024-02-15 113725.png

Does it have to the be first DP connection? The PG32UQX is connected to the last DP port on the right.

If it helps any -

I have the AW3225QF connected to a 4090 via HDMI at 2160p240, then two PG279Qs via DP at 1440p144. All displays are coming up after reboots with the correct/intended resolution and refresh rates. Ensure the firmware and your GPU drivers are up-to-date (I have not tried their hotfix driver yet), but I guess failing that, try HDMI.

Yes, the HDMI port should work fine - I'm going to try a new DP "8K" cable and if that doesn't work, I'll just use the HDMI 2.1 connection. Now if THAT doesn't work either, the monitor is definitely going back but fingers crossed.

Will give this a try but I haven't change the cfg settings for GTA V. The game is heavily modded (I have 3000 add on vehicles, using Realism Beyond, and a shit-ton of other mods) but nothing that messes with the refresh rate.

Is the AW connected via HDMI 2.1 or DP 1.4? If it's HDMI, then yes it should work. Also, which DP port are you using on the 4090 for the AW? I have mine connected to the 2nd DP connector (see pic):

View attachment 635233

Does it have to the be first DP connection? The PG32UQX is connected to the last DP port on the right.

Yes, the HDMI port should work fine - I'm going to try a new DP "8K" cable and if that doesn't work, I'll just use the HDMI 2.1 connection. Now if THAT doesn't work either, the monitor is definitely going back but fingers crossed.

That is the same DP I was running my AW32 from...I have since moved it to the HDMI 2.1, but all that did was allow me to go full 12 bit on the color. I still can only run two high refresh 4k displays..... a quick reddit search shows others in the same boat and that 4090 incapable of handling three high refresh 4k displays.

I'm running old driver 546.17 because that is the last driver that did not bork the AW32 HDR 1000

So I had ordered this panel and the 57 inch samsung panel to replace three aging FV43U panels to compliment a newer and smaller desk setup.

Wow this thing is insane. Not sure if its from the jump from VA or the switch to 240HZ over 144, but the motion clarity is substantially better than anything I have ever used before. Panning from side to side in League of Legends is insanely crispy and clear. It is wild. I have it on a monitor arm and to compensate for switching to a dramatically smaller screen I have the thing kinda yolked right into my face and its quite nice. I appreciate the gloss, as my room is pretty dark with some dark paneling on alot of my setup/walls.

I pretty much only use my front and center monitor for reddit, and gaming, so I cant really comment on video content as i cannot imagine being really engrossed in a movie on a 32 inch monitor.

My gut feeling is that it is going to be very difficult for me to get this monitor off of the arm and throw on the 57 inch when it gets delivered on Wednesday, because of the VA panel and the fact that it only runs at 120HZ at native resolution on my 4090.

If anyone has any questions or particular use cases you would like my opinion on or specific things you would like me to test I would be more than happy to do so.

Picture attached to kind of give an idea of the temporary setup right now.

You were supposed to get the 57 by wednesday....it is now THURSDAY.....WHY DON'T WE HAVE FEEDBACK, OPINION AND REVIEW???

well-were-waiting-sarcastic.gif

You were supposed to get the 57 by wednesday....it is now THURSDAY.....WHY DON'T WE HAVE FEEDBACK, OPINION AND REVIEW???

View attachment 635315

It got delayed by a day (from north Vegas to Henderson, so about 15 miles away haha. Its currently sitting in its weird bent giga curved shape on my desk, waiting to be thrown on the bewiser arm. Hang tight and ill post some thoughts over the course of tonight. I don't work until I catch a plane on tuesday so plenty of time to compare and contrast the two.

I can tell you right now the size difference is absurd.

EDIT: If theres anything specific you want me to try between the two, hit me. I plan on goofing around with CRU and seeing if I can somehow magically make 240hz happen, though my hopes are low.

It got delayed by a day (from north Vegas to Henderson, so about 15 miles away haha. Its currently sitting in its weird bent giga curved shape on my desk, waiting to be thrown on the bewiser arm. Hang tight and ill post some thoughts over the course of tonight. I don't work until I catch a plane on tuesday so plenty of time to compare and contrast the two.

I can tell you right now the size difference is absurd.

EDIT: If theres anything specific you want me to try between the two, hit me. I plan on goofing around with CRU and seeing if I can somehow magically make 240hz happen, though my hopes are low.
The 57" will be back in the box Monday. I wager 3 pretzels.

The 57" will be back in the box Monday. I wager 3 pretzels.

Well I look at the 57 as being a productivity dream.... like 80% use productivity and 20% use gimmicky gaming. The 57's worth is it eleminates awkward multi-monitor productivity setups so you don't have bezels in your face.

The current crop of 32" 4k240 oled monitors are un-matched...nothing can touch them right now gaming wise....simply incredible experience.

Well I look at the 57 as being a productivity dream.... like 80% use productivity and 20% use gimmicky gaming. The 57's worth is it eleminates awkward multi-monitor productivity setups so you don't have bezels in your face.

The current crop of 32" 4k240 oled monitors are un-matched...nothing can touch them right now gaming wise....simply incredible experience.
So this is actually kind of true.

I have not been able to get it running as a 240HZ at all despite pushing it every which way inside of CRU. Disappointing but not unexpected.

However I was able to do PBP in a way that is really cool. I am running it effectively as two monitors are far as windows is concerned, one is 5120x2160 (21:9) and the other is on the right third of the screen and is 2560x2160. Which according to a calculator is a 32:27 resolution.

Both are running at 120HZ and excellent for gaming while watching youtube or streaming something on discord, both are things that I do alot with my friends when im sitting around.

First impressions are that it is MUCH brighter than the oled. This comes at the cost of an insane amount of heat being put out by the display, like this thing cook genuinely cook an egg on top of it. This is a big downside for me as my office is a tall sloping room and I live in Las Vegas. It gets hot here already. My cat seems to really like climbing on the monitor arm due to the heat from the display, so thats nifty.

The AG coating coming from the Alienware gloss of the 32 inch is absurd and ugly. Its almost like I need glasses or something in comparison, even with the brightness cranked, shit doesnt pop half as much.

I am currently in a bit of a mental toss up between the two panels right now. I guess i'm fortunate to have the choice between the two but its frustrating that Nvidia cant fix their halo cards to hit the full potential of this display and that Samsung isn't smart enough to cover this thing in gloss so it pops like it should.

Attachments

• Mons2.jpg
    Mons2.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back