AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition Overclocking @ [H]

seem alot of them on the "egg" are not using 790fx boards, and also are trying to OC the same old way. the phenom doesnt work the same old way as any other chip.

here is a link that expalins in detail the why and how of the differences and how to properly OC a phenom. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-phenom9600-be_8.html#sect0

i am about to build a new system. but think im gona use a opteron 1222 AM2. i know others go with the 6400+ x2. this opty should clock up just as good if not better than the 6400+. getting the asus 790fx board. so i can upgrade latter when the B3's come out.

2x2gb pc8000 mushkin. and 2x3870's crossfired.

what do you all think of that set up.

hard to find any reviews on the opterons. but i have seen a few that got the 1220 to 3.4.

so i think the 1222 should goto 3.6 easy. we will see.

long time reader first time poster.

great site.

seem alot of them on the "egg" are not using 790fx boards, and also are trying to OC the same old way. the phenom doesnt work the same old way as any other chip.

here is a link that expalins in detail the why and how of the differences and how to properly OC a phenom. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-phenom9600-be_8.html#sect0

i am about to build a new system. but think im gona use a opteron 1222 AM2. i know others go with the 6400+ x2. this opty should clock up just as good if not better than the 6400+. getting the asus 790fx board. so i can upgrade latter when the B3's come out.

2x4gb pc8000 mushkin. and 2x3870's crossfired.

what do you all think of that set up.

hard to find any reviews on the opterons. but i have seen a few that got the 1220 to 3.4.

so i think the 1222 should goto 3.6 easy. we will see.

long time reader first time poster.

great site.
8GB RAM? What do you do that require so much RAM? What OS will you be using?

Welcome to the forum :)

i will be installing vista 64. oh woops sorry thats a typo on the ram. ill go edit it. should be 2x2gb

Got my 9850BE working at 3ghz on a M3N-HT motherboard without too much fuss. Passed 8 hours of orthos testing no problem and ran folding@home all night without a hitch. Big thing is not to run the northbridge speed too high, much over 2 ghz and it will be unstable. I see all those newegg reviews and I think many just dont understand how to overclock these chips or are using stock heatsinks. I had to use a Tuniq Tower and 1.45V max temp under load is 54C.

Heat is just the biggest problem for this processor and until the die shrink it will continue to be the big problem. However based on what I have seen, getting 3ghz shouldnt be too hard, just need a big heatsink and a board with lots of options for tweaking settings. I must say this system is pretty fast too which is somewhat impressive to me since I had a fx-60 running at 3.2ghz. My 8800gt sli is reporting higher frames in my games as well. Overall Im quite happy with the upgrade.

In case you want to know why I upgraded the motherboard gave up the ghost after years of overclocking and its just too much money to get a replacement board. So I decided to give the Phenom a shot and I'm glad I did.

So is the 790fx chipset best for 9600be overclocking? I'm getting a 9600be + ram of the egg because of their insane combo deal and just trying to catch up and figure out what board to get to max out the overclock.

Turn off C&Q or disable power savings in Windows. With it on, it only changes between the stock of 2.3 and low power mode of 1.15 GHZ. If you turn off power savings, you'll be able to use different clocks.

That was at least the issue on my board.

I was checking CPU-Z and its showing that my 9600BE is only running at 1100 mhz :(

dude that's the amd cool and quiet thing my x2 does the same thing. but no sweat this is only for 2d and or most of the desktop enviorment.;)

Back