AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition Overclocking @ [H]

Welcome to the [H] forums. I'm not entirely certain what you mean by suppressing the fix, but I believe it's a BIOS setting. I could be wrong so I'll see what others who actually had practical Phenom experience reply, but I don't think the fix is enabled by default. I believe Manny has had practical experience with a few systems already.

In the new bios releases the TLB fix automaiticaly turned on, you need to download AMD overdrive (Version 2.0.12 or newer and click the green butoon at the top to disable the fix

>>Using the latest versions of AOD (which will work with Vista X64 with driver signing turned off),you can disable the TLB 'fix' I have built three Phenom systems for friends,but none using his mobo.All used new 790FX motherboards.AMD has told mobo partners such as Asus,etc,to force the fix on.Only the AOD soft can get around this currently.Well,that and theoretically runniing an older board without the fix in the bios.<<

Is there a vista 32 version? If so where do I download it? I dont feel like dealing with old bios revisions. I am set up wo dual boot vista 32/64. My 64 partition is very new. Only WOW and Bioshock installed. I could fully migrate as my primary OS if needed but had hoped to do that slowly. (so much installing)

Another note... I have tried several locals stores including Frys. The Web (price watch, new egg) and havnt found the black edition. Can someone point me towords a reliable merchant?

I really apreciate all the help guys.

What I am curious to know....

Will this work with my asus m2n32 sli delux? Will it work with vista 32 or 64? The only versions I can find for download are XP/7xx chipset only.

Is there a way to supress the TLB "fix" otherwise?

The nvida tool, while not perhaps as spiffy is still certainly nice I would be happy to use it.

Thanks

(my first post here)

Most boards allow you to turn off the TLB fix in the BIOS.

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index....id=1503858&pagenumber=1&msgcount=27&subpage=1

You seem to be in luck. :)

BIOS 1503 and up will do,it would seem.

Using the latest versions of AOD (which will work with Vista X64 with driver signing turned off),you can disable the TLB 'fix' I have built three Phenom systems for friends,but none using his mobo.All used new 790FX motherboards.AMD has told mobo partners such as Asus,etc,to force the fix on.Only the AOD soft can get around this currently.Well,that and theoretically runniing an older board without the fix in the bios.

No. BIOS F3E for the Gigabyte MA790FX-DQ6 will allow you to turn off the fix in the BIOS. I'd check the MSI K9A2 and let you know but it died on me the other day so I can't look. I'm pretty sure version 10 of the BIOS doesn't, but 11 might.

Feast your eyes :D :
black2qa9.jpg

black3qf9.jpg

black1sl3.jpg

Please do get back to us with your overclocking results; I'll be interested to see just how difficult 3ghz is, or if it's something closer to what we have with the F3s (3Ghz minimum).

The CPU is not mine, it is for a friend's build and he didn't buy any aftermarket cooler yet. However I will try to reach a max OC with the stock cooler and stock voltage. I could use my Ultra 120 eXtreme but too lazy to pull it out from my system.

All the Phenoms I've ever seen don't usually pass 3GHz. 2.8GHz or so seems to be the norm. And as I've stated before forget FSB overclocking. That's why the Black Editions exist.

The cooler looks quite good:
p1010386largenv8.jpg

Copper plate at the bottom:
p1010388largehs3.jpg

4 heat pipes, 2 on each side:
p1010391largebf3.jpg

p1010389largerw3.jpg

Only thin and small copper base plate:
p1010396largepa9.jpg

Others are aluminium fins, you can see through it:
p1010394largewu6.jpg

p1010400largeij8.jpg

Should I clean this and replace it with AS5?:
p1010402largetn8.jpg

I was hoping for a different case sticker for the BE, this one is the same as a normal Phenom:
p1010406largepx0.jpg

It's probably adequate for a mild OC, but since these processors aren't the best OC chips I don't believe anything extravagant like the 120 Extreme would have made all that much more of a difference.

i hope this thing is under $300 cause it's gonna be a steal!
i think i found my new replacement for my X2 :cool:

It's probably adequate for a mild OC, but since these processors aren't the best OC chips I don't believe anything extravagant like the 120 Extreme would have made all that much more of a difference.

No it doesn't. Temperatures don't seem to be the issue holding them back but rather poor scalability of clock speed on an architectural level. 2.8GHz to about 3.0GHz or so seems to be their upper limit.

kyle, could you get some liquid nitrogen and go for some extreme over clocking ;)

Not true Manny: Gigabyte's BIOS F3 includes the ON/OFF toggle in the BIOS. Just go in and set it as you please, though it does default to TLB Patch Enabled. I leave it off and have had no problems. Also, AOD 2.0.14Beta (available from TechpowerUp!) runs in Vista64 without disabling driver signing.

No. BIOS F3E for the Gigabyte MA790FX-DQ6 will allow you to turn off the fix in the BIOS. I'd check the MSI K9A2 and let you know but it died on me the other day so I can't look. I'm pretty sure version 10 of the BIOS doesn't, but 11 might.

I sit corrected again now,but in all honesty I cant keep track of every BIOS revision and its individual quirks and follies. :p Nor do I think can you ennis,but thank you for the heads up,and to you Dan.I would rather be corrected then give out false information.Still I helped him with his main and most important question. :)

i hope this thing is under $300 cause it's gonna be a steal!
i think i found my new replacement for my X2 :cool:

Pricing I have seen places it more expensive then the regular 9600 at NCIX as of a few hours ago.This is not good.I pre ordered mine for 247.99 locally.

This is what they are asking now !

I am curious where the 9600 black box was purchased? The local Frys is starting to look at me funny when I go in and ask them if they have it yet. (none of them have heard of it).

I have looked around and cant find the AMD software for vista 32... not on the AMD web site does it exist?

Thanks

I am curious where the 9600 black box was purchased? The local Frys is starting to look at me funny when I go in and ask them if they have it yet. (none of them have heard of it).

I have looked around and cant find the AMD software for vista 32... not on the AMD web site does it exist?

Thanks

In Germany :D

I have been wanting to visit Berlin or Bonn (when many local cities) for many years.

Unlocked 9600 cpu's
Unlocked Iphones

You guys have it all.

I am in cali not so far from silicon valley.

You'd think I could get a darn chip. :)

with any luck, the phenom may turn out to be what the P4 was. anyone remember when the P4 was launched? we had something like 3 or 4 different speeds and they were slower than the lower clocked P3's at the time. it was a joke to begin with just like amd is right now. hopefully they can improve it a great deal more and soon - we may see some competitive phenoms within the year. i hope.

I was thinking about that as well. The Pentium 4 started out as a joke then ramped up to something that I'm using today. :)

Long time reader, first post! I ordered my Phenom 9600 Black Edition on Newegg this morning for $239 and free shipping. I also saw that Zipzoomfly has them, but they were $258 last time I looked. Hooray!!

Long time reader, first post! I ordered my Phenom 9600 Black Edition on Newegg this morning for $239 and free shipping. I also saw that Zipzoomfly has them, but they were $258 last time I looked. Hooray!!

Be sure to report back with overclocking results!

I was thinking about that as well. The Pentium 4 started out as a joke then ramped up to something that I'm using today. :)

Problem is that AMD doesn't have the marketing prowess or cash to push it. E.g. Intel managed to spin clueless millions into buying the Williamettes (which were just absolute shit), while they gradually progressed into the far better "Northwoods".

But AMD doesn't have the clocking advantage either. Where P4's were crap simply b/c they relied on clockspeed, what the heck is Phenom gonna rely on? It clocks lower and with lower IPC than C2D. Unless AMD has a major trump card, they cannot successfully "pull a P4" the way Intel did.

We have S939 club, S754 club, and etc why don't someone make a Black Edition club? I can't make one because I don't own one myself :D

Well what the hell, while we're at it, let's all go buy some blood diamonds; after all, they most certainly are the best bang for the buck. Apparantley, the means to the end is irrelevant. There are hundreds of similar analogies that one could use to compare Intel's prior/current actions. I guess the focus needs to shift to whether or not Intel should continue to be rewarded for it's practices. I can't believe anyone would condone these illegal actions, as has been proven so in a number of countries. It seems the good ol' USA is it's last strong hold.

This argument of buying whatever is best for me right now is so short sighted and painful to read, and wreaks of marketing, to be honest. Yeah, let's all condone illegal activity to get what we want. Unbelievable.:rolleyes:

Fight the good fight:D I don't feel bad running my first intel rig..actually has been the best rig I have owned in the last 15 years.

maybe a dumb question, but was this test done with the same mobo as the original, the Gigabyte MA790FX-DQ6?

I cannot seem to find this board on newegg, best I have found is a DS5...which seems a little sparse on extra stuff thrown in (not even an additional USB port back plate?). I'm not planning on buying or building the system until may-June time, but I am trying to find a good stable board before I do, and the only brand I have used and trusted every time has been Giga-Byte.

The DFI would give me a migraine while building it with the hideous green and yellow on brown colour, and the Asus boards...well I have known too many people that have had these just foul up time after time.

Are there any newer boards on the horizon, maybe a deluxe Giga-Byte board?

I cannot seem to find this board on newegg, best I have found is a DS5...which seems a little sparse on extra stuff thrown in (not even an additional USB port back plate?). I'm not planning on buying or building the system until may-June time, but I am trying to find a good stable board before I do, and the only brand I have used and trusted every time has been Giga-Byte.

The DFI would give me a migraine while building it with the hideous green and yellow on brown colour, and the Asus boards...well I have known too many people that have had these just foul up time after time.

Are there any newer boards on the horizon, maybe a deluxe Giga-Byte board?

You can find the Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DQ6 here: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA24354 So far the GA-MA790FX-DQ6 is the best 790FX board I've used. Now to be fair that's the first of two boards I've used extensively. The board wasn't perfect but since I wrote my article several BIOS improvements have been made. They've added CPU multiplier control (down for regular processors and bi-directional for Black Editions.) as well as adding the TLB Fix and the ability to disable it.

I've had problems with the DFI boards in the past. They weren't DOA or crap or anything they just required a lot of tuning to be stable. This is something that many enthusiasts expect but I feel quite differently on the subject. I think enthusiast boards should be stable out of the box with common components. For the most part, the bulk of them are.

As far as people having problems with ASUS motherboards I'll say this. ASUS sells a lot more boards than any other company does. As a result you are going to here about more problems out of their boards than you will about problems with any other manufacturer that doesn't sell as many. Additionally I've not only owned a ton of ASUS boards but I've reviewed a ton of them as well. None of them have ever given me any significant issues. I haven't had any overvoltage issues out of the Striker Extreme or the Maximus Formula both of which have a reputation for doing that. In some cases I'd wager that they got a defective board but generally speaking. Most of the time I don't think you can go wrong with ASUS. At least in the OEM, desktop or enthusiast markets. I tend to dislike many of their server boards due to the layouts and lack of features compared to Supermicro or Intel boards.

Fight the good fight:D I don't feel bad running my first intel rig..actually has been the best rig I have owned in the last 15 years.

Don't have to fight too hard really, when Intel continues to shoot themselves in the foot with cowardly acts like this.

http://www.siliconvalleysleuth.com/2007/01/olpc_blog_draws.html

Just built a couple new AMD machines for family, and they seem to think it was the best rig they've owned in the last 15 years also. :D

Two days ago i grabbed a 9600Black @EGG for $238.00 they are also going up in price @ the Egg and every where else as of yesterday!....They are also getting 3.0ghz stable now too...It seems that they like 1.5+vcore for the cores...im still doing lots of research with bioses and settings and will be testing my 9600Black Over the weekend..I shall soon see.

Two days ago i grabbed a 9600Black @EGG for $238.00 they are also going up in price @ the Egg and every where else as of yesterday!....They are also getting 3.0ghz stable now too...It seems that they like 1.5+vcore for the cores...im still doing lots of research with bioses and settings and will be testing my 9600Black Over the weekend..I shall soon see.

Most Phenom's top out around 2.8GHz but that's probably because they suck at FSB overclocking. With the Black Edition the playing field is a little different but don't expect much of anything over 3.0GHz. The K10 architecture just doesn't scale that well at present.

Two days ago i grabbed a 9600Black @EGG for $238.00 .

First time poster and new member to [H]. I'm a long time OCer and I will get my 9600BE tomorrow. (I plan on being up very late!) Anyway, I also got one at Newegg for $238 and I have the components listed below. I'm hoping for a solid 3 GHz. If not, oh well.

But, I think I may have made a mistake on the board. I've seen a few horror stories about blown MOSFETs on the CF-F boards. (After I bought it of course! :( ) Does anyone have any success stories with this board? I hope it doesn't go that badly, if so I'll RMA and upgrade to a 790FX Platnium. In the mean time, I've got a quad AMD setup for around $650. Not to bad, eh? :cool:

You can download the OverDrive tool from the motherboard manufacturers&#8217; support websites. Although AMD has an info-website for its tool, there is no download link. There isn&#8217;t even any information regarding the latest version of the tool.

It is up to the motherboard makers to test new versions of the OverDrive tool for compatibility with their products and offer them for download on their website. The upshot is that there are many different versions of the tool floating around the internet. During the time we tested, we found various versions of the OverDrive utility on the support sites of ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte.

wtf ?!

We find ourselves rather disappointed by the way AMD is supporting this tool. On the one hand, the OverDrive tool is one of the advertised features of the Phenom CPU, but on the other hand, AMD does not offer the tool itself. Users have to dig through the motherboard makers&#8217; support sites. And even here, the versions differ from one company to the next &#8211; and it is hard to tell which is the most recent. In the end, it is up to the user to search and find the newest on

Again.... WTH ?? :eek:

We attempted to increase the CPU&#8217;s frequency from 2.60 GHz to 2.70 GHz while retaining the default core voltage of 1.250 V........Only after we had reached a core voltage of 1.400 V (+ 0.150 V) could we convince the system to complete the Prime 95 torture test without incident. Overclocking any further to 2.80 GHz proved completely impossible, despite further voltage increases.

hmmmnnnn :confused: Again it would seem the average oc on the BE Phenom is about 350Mhz.This after a fair amount of hassle to.I will be building another Phenom system tonight at a friends,using a MSI 790FX board and an eVGA 8800GT 512mb
plus Corsair ram,and few other odds and ends.

The AOD that came with my MSI 790x crashed it cold! BSOD city. Version 14 that I downloaded from the ASUS sight works great tho. Beware.

Thanks for the tip.It took me hours to get it up and running as it kept crashing during the windows install.Never got around to overclocking it.

The AOD that came with my MSI 790x crashed it cold! BSOD city. Version 14 that I downloaded from the ASUS sight works great tho. Beware.

I had a similar problem with an earlier version, but a later beta cleared it up and worked very well.

The NB runs nice and i have yet to set the stupib TLB....I hope B3 will let us use the chip fo rwhat its worth..I also hope AMD got the new code to Vendors in time so we wont have to use a Bios with stupid TLB ENABLED Patch crap..

But im still having fun.....Its definatly a challenge..

Im actually shocked that yall were able to get that much of an overclock even on the BE chip. Alot of folks on the egg and other places are reporting 200-300mhz at most and even then, its not completely stable.

Back