AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition Overclocking @ [H]

If i recall correctly, single channel is with regards to "ganged" or "unganged" The memory still runs dual channel, but there's a new option with the Phenom's memory controller. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

i was thinking the same thing but i wanted to know for sure too.

I thought so too but needed positive verification before plunking down the dough to get one of these.

if you run unganged mode(2x64bit) it shows up as single, even though its dual, and ganged mode(1x128bit) it shows up as dual :p

Why are they selling both locked and unlocked versions at the same price? It seems like a rather unnecessary division, since anyone who knows what they're buying will want the unlocked version, and AMD don't make any savings if others purchase the locked version anyway. It would seem like it would make matters easier to sell all 9600s unlocked, since there's no chance of having tons of locked ones in the market which no-one's buying.

I begged AMD to sell the BE CPU and I explained to them that they very much needed to extend an olive branch to their fan base of enthusiasts by not charging them a premium for the BE. The BE is for the overclocker and the locked chips are for system builders, it is that simple.

If i recall correctly, single channel is with regards to "ganged" or "unganged" The memory still runs dual channel, but there's a new option with the Phenom's memory controller. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, I was running in unganged mode, so it shows it as single channel. If you switch to ganged mode, it will show dual.

The 128-bit DDR2 memory controller is actually two 64-bit controllers in the Phenom. Ganged / single controller at 128-bit is said to give better single threaded performance, while Unganged / dual controllers at 64-bit each are said to give better multi-threaded performance. I have not seen any night and day numbers yet to prop that up. We have done almost all our public testing in Unganged mode, which makes sense to me seeing that we are running four cores. YMMV.

So in the pictures you are seeing a SINGLE 128-bit DDR2 channel of DUAL 64-bit DDR channels to put it simply. Kinda confusing, I know....

BIOS Shot of Ganged setting with "Dual" shown in AOD.

GangedPhenom.jpg

DualChannelGangedPhenom.gif

Kyle,

I really appreciate your perspective of the Phenom, especially since its a lot more objective than the other reviews I've come across. Now mind you I'm ignorant to the intricate details of how processors work etc. But I want to know why doesn't the TLB erratum effect desktop consumers? I've been really tempted to pick a Phenom up because of the price but the TLB erratum scares me away. I've read that it happens often when you use Photoshop CS3, though I'm not sure how accurate that statement is. If you have the time, do you think you could enlighten me about it?

Thanks

I would like to know why anyone would think the TLB issue does impact desktop consumers? Maybe some websites have not really represented this correctly to enthusiasts because they have other agendas? First I would like to know where you read that about PS because I would like to look into that more. Sort of hard to prove a negative, so where are the websites proving it is an issue that have harped on it?

The problem cropped up in some very specialized virtualization applications under full load. To my knowledge no one has ever seen this issue manifest on the desktop. That said, we moved away from Adobe application testing as they are simply a pain in the ass to use because of licensing hoops that have to be jumped through.

Nice Black Ops test there.
I agree, the BE is a needed amd cpu.
Might build a 2 system using amd.

Well, my previous response was removed and I guess thats fair enough. There was one bit in there that I think can be safely brought back again without risking taking the thread OT:

Anybody have anything better than a WAG (wild assed guess) about where the Phenom 9600 BE price will go in the near future?

Kyle

I have a question, and it might be stupid. But have you tried the AMD OverDrive tool with older and other boards? Like NF, and Crossfire boards?

I believe the motherboards have to specifically support AMD Overdrive. I have heard there are some 7xx series boards that don't even support AOD, so I would hazard a guess that an older board will not.

AMD Overdrive seems like a sweet idea, all i would like to see incorporated is a temperature monitor. Imagine being able to stability test, over clock, and temp monitor your rig in ONE app? Mmmmmm....

On a different note, does anyone know anything real about the hs/fan combo that these guys come with? The Intel hs/fan is pretty decent (core 2's), and seems to handle light OC'ing relatively well. AMD has, in the past, given parts plenty good for stock settings, but not all that hot for oc'ing....

AMD Overdrive seems like a sweet idea, all i would like to see incorporated is a temperature monitor. Imagine being able to stability test, over clock, and temp monitor your rig in ONE app? Mmmmmm....

On a different note, does anyone know anything real about the hs/fan combo that these guys come with? The Intel hs/fan is pretty decent (core 2's), and seems to handle light OC'ing relatively well. AMD has, in the past, given parts plenty good for stock settings, but not all that hot for oc'ing....

Yes i would agree with you on this... Monitoring the WHOLE machines in one app.. Just makes me think naughty thoughts heheh

I hope and i'm just hoping AOD can be used on other mobo's... but we will see.. i have a feeling it won't, but i donno...

[RIP]Zeus;1031824822 said:
Kyle

I have a question, and it might be stupid. But have you tried the AMD OverDrive tool with older and other boards? Like NF, and Crossfire boards?

AMD Overdrive only supports 790,780,770 chipsets. It will install on non AMD chipsets but it wont start up, tried it on a P35 mobo.

I wouldn't expect AMD overdrive to work on Nvidia chipsets. But I would like
to know how well the new Phenom BE overclocks on Nvidia chipsets like the 590i.

Kyle, could you confirm that the BE cpu will come with a hsf? I would like to know because I spoke to a person from an online retailer and he said that he thinks the CPU doesn't come with a hsf. I want to know whether I need to buy a cheap hsf first to get the CPU working before jumping to a much better cooling.

[RIP]Zeus;1031824822 said:
Kyle

AMD Overdrive only supports 790,780,770 chipsets. It will install on non AMD chipsets but it wont start up, tried it on a P35 mobo.
I will go ahead and confirm that AMD Overdrive will start on my older ATI (AMD) 580 chipset motherboard (XP Pro 32bit). I tried it out a week ago.
The overclocking functions do not work. I haven't tried the memory settings yet, but my rig is currently in a box right now because I'm moving.
The stability test part DOES FUNCTION (according to task manager both cores at 100%). The rest of the program is relegated to displaying current settings, similiar to what CPU-Z does. Even though it is not compatible with my older chipset, it still displays mem timings, vCore, vMem, etc. correctly. This is on an Abit AT8-32X (580 chipset).

Anyone else with a 480 or 580 chipset board want to confirm my findings? Or did I just luck out with this Abit?

Why are they selling both locked and unlocked versions at the same price? It seems like a rather unnecessary division, since anyone who knows what they're buying will want the unlocked version, and AMD don't make any savings if others purchase the locked version anyway. It would seem like it would make matters easier to sell all 9600s unlocked, since there's no chance of having tons of locked ones in the market which no-one's buying.

A few on XS suggested that AMD sell all Phenoms with a unlocked multi !

I dont know about that,but I have already ordered one BE through a friend.My Asus 790FX mobo has been sitting here in the box,for ages,and I am dying to play around with it. :p

Come the new year,I am switching over to the Phenom,IF,I can get 3.0 stable out of it 24/7

Running this retail processor on air cooling, we could achieve a stable 2.8GHz as well and even get it to run at 3GHz

On air cooling ? Exactly what kind of air cooling Kyle did you use ? Thanks ! :)

According to the Overdrive SS, you needed 1.5V for 3GHz?

That's quite a high voltage...

According to the Overdrive SS, you needed 1.5V for 3GHz?

That's quite a high voltage...

It's a brand new architecture, so that is not really that surprising to me.

Hopefully newer revisions will help with that.

Kyle,
I'd like to know where you got that F3E BIOS. I haven't seen it on the Gigabyte websites. Anyway, thanks for keeping up with the Phenom news and adding some balanced, level-headed perspective to it. That Chicken Little 'Sky's Falling!' crap was getting annoying, as I've yet to have anything happen that sounds like it could be related to TLB. :)

It's a brand new architecture, so that is not really that surprising to me.

Hopefully newer revisions will help with that.

I'm not looking for excuses on why it's a poor overclocker. I was merely stating the voltage (0.3V over default) seemed excessive for a relatively modest overclock.

is it possible to overclock northbridge too?
because only 1.8 GHZ for northbridge and L3 cache seems to be way to low for a 3 GHZ CPU. Pleasy try with 2.2 and 2.4 GHZ too.

MY amd 790 FX Board supports AOD 100% NO ISSUES,

Just as that is said, and the amd overdrive works much better than the shitty gigabyte bios, i can only say, there is no bios that is good except DFI's ones, i dont even like asus maximus formula bios, it just aint giving me what the DFI Lanparty-ut NF4 sli-dr Expert gave me, and thats kinda sloppy, considering the dfi board is now about 3 years old.

Well, i got alot of features on my gigabyte board as it is a DQ6 Board, but hey, do i use them ?, clear NO, i will use quad CF yes. but ESATA, no,

6 sata on board, wtf is that ?, i was expecting like over 8 or so, who needs 6 ESATA ? not me.

So, the AOD gives me more settings than my bios gave me, so amd, you lied! it doesnt contain settings that my bios has, it have more !.

hehe, great work amd, like the desing, owns nvidia ntune though.

well, question though, is the 9600 BE affected by the errata issue, kinda hard to read on a lcd tv though, but after what ive read it seems to be like it, but dont see like any text saying, it is.

want a phenom BE, see them in stock in 3 shops over here in norway already =) so just need a answer, is it a gogo, i use a good watercooling so can push them to their limit most likely.

Kyle really does need to do a front page article on why the AMD TLB issue wont effect normal users, maybe have some nice pictures and everything. Then maybe people will stop talking about it as if it is a major issue for not buying a Phenom.

I am wondering when the Phenom BE is being released with more availability in U.S.? Also, by air cooling I assume you mean a higher-end aftermarket cooler.

I like to add some people like me do use virtualization on a desktop so I do have concerns using VMWare and Virtual PC with this chip.

I am wondering when the Phenom BE is being released with more availability in U.S.? Also, by air cooling I assume you mean a higher-end aftermarket cooler.

I like to add some people like me do use virtualization on a desktop so I do have concerns using VMWare and Virtual PC with this chip.

Same here. So while the average person probably doesn't need to worry about the TLB issue there are some of us that would..

Xbit labs has benchmarks of the Phenom @ 3.0 Ghz as well as 9500 through 9900 vs. Core 2 Quads using Windows Vista (32-bit).

Same here. So while the average person probably doesn't need to worry about the TLB issue there are some of us that would..

Me too. My poor X2 5200+ at work usually has two or three virtual machines running simultaneously while the host desktop has a bunch of other crap running as well (under Vista 64bit). A quad core CPU is definately in my future to handle this load a little better... would be a good test to show whether this errata rears it's head with users that plan on using the Phenom for more than just MS Office and gaming. Kyle, send me your BE review sample and I'll be glad to test this out for you :D :D

Well, i got alot of features on my gigabyte board as it is a DQ6 Board, but hey, do i use them ?, clear NO, i will use quad CF yes. but ESATA, no,

6 sata on board, wtf is that ?, i was expecting like over 8 or so, who needs 6 ESATA ? not me.

Umm... OT I know, but I looked at the only 790 DQ9 Gigabyte board, and it has 2 eSATA, not 6... :/

IT does have like 6 ESTA, 2 on mobo standard, 46usb, wtf is that, 4 usb ????, and it doesnt have a rear panel addon so i can have more, and i dont have any front panel, so i get more there either, and 2x ESATA adapter from normal sata as an addon back, so that makes me have 4 sata 6 ESATA or 6 sata and 4 ESATA.
I took wrong yes, 2 of the usb doesnt want to have usb in them easy, my mic nor keyboard doesnt go into them, so i though ESATA, well.
Still few sata/usb, 6 usb, and no bracket for more usb, i use like 9 usb units, NO external hdds.

Well the phenom black is maybe a gogo i think cheap and oc good enough

Back