AMD Ready to Announce Six-Core Processor

HardOCP News

[H] News
DigiTimes, citing anonymous industry sources, claims that AMD is ready to launch its six-core processors.

AMD is preparing to launch its six-core Phenom II X6 1055T and 1090T Black Edition CPUs with prices of NT$6,300-6,500 (US$201-207) and NT$9,600-9,900, respectively, soon, according to sources from motherboard makers. AMD will launch three more six-core processors including the Phenom II X6 1035T at a later time.

I need to slow down when I'm reading. I was like WTF?? $6,300-$6,500?!? :-P

$200 sounds about right.

I can't wait to see what this thing will do with x264! Hope we finally have something that cuts 720 and 1080 timings close to an i7 or better. x264 scales so well, a 6 core this cheap would be awesome!

put it this way, there's people like me who never had a quad core, we WILL see an immediate benefit going to six core :D

I have a feeling Bad Company 2 will see a benefit

Doubt it, it doesnt even use all 4 cores on my system, 1 is normally around 90% the others around 20-30%. I could disable 2 cores and if i had nothing running in the background, there would be no difference in FPS.

6 Cores vs 4 with HT.. Wonder how that will go down?

My hunch is Intel 4 cores with HT will slaughter the AMD 6 cores. Take a look at i5 (2 cores with HT) compared to the Phenom II X4s. This makes sense since $200 is less than what the i7 goes for.

Don't think this will have much impact on the gaming market either since as others have stated, there aren't many multi-threaded games.

I will buy one when the price comes down as a final upgrade before the i9..Then a complete new system. Im saving away for the i9...

Hmmm....will I be able to use this 6-core processor with DDR2 memory? I might actually switch to AMD if I can do it for $300 to go to a 6-core processor.

I mean honestly stop with the, "Most app(s) don't use but one core or this game or that game only uses this many cores". Who cares. If poeple want to spend their money let them spend it. This tired argument about cores is really borish and overdone. If you're on this forum it's because you want the latest and greatest bleeding edge technology there is. If that's not why you're here turn your mancard in.

There I feel better.

Hmmm....will I be able to use this 6-core processor with DDR2 memory? I might actually switch to AMD if I can do it for $300 to go to a 6-core processor.

Well it is an AM3 chip so theoretically it should still work on AM2+ boards with DDR2 slots. There were articles confirming that it would work on AM2+ boards (hooray for socket longevity - go from low end athlon ii x2 to high end phenom ii x6 unlike stupid intel!), however the motherboard manufacturers will probably need to release BIOS updates for it to properly recognize the new CPUs.

It does make me think if maintaining both DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers on the AMD CPUs is any burden and perhaps taking up space that could otherwise be used better for other architectural benefits (yea I'm just babbling on beyond my knowledge here).

ASUS just updated a bunch of boards that will support 6 core.

Below are the list of ASUS M4 Series motherboards that are ready for the AMD Phenom II X6 processors.

Model Chipset BIOS Version
M4A89GTD PRO AMD 890GX/SB850 1104
M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 AMD 890GX/SB850 1104
Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX/SB750 1503
M4N72-E NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI 2005
M4N82 DELUXE NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI with
NVIDIA NVCC and ESA support 1803
M4N75TD NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI
Supports NVIDIA Clock Calibration
(NVCC) function 0903
M4N98TD EVO NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI
(NVCC) function 0603
M4A79 Deluxe AMD 790FX/SB750 3204
M4A79T Deluxe AMD 790FX/SB750 3004
M4A78T-E AMD 790GX/SB750 3204
M4A78-E AMD 790GX/SB750 2405
M4A78-E SE AMD 790GX/SB750 14

http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=16116&cid=4

ASUS just updated a bunch of boards that will support 6 core.

Below are the list of ASUS M4 Series motherboards that are ready for the AMD Phenom II X6 processors.

Model Chipset BIOS Version
M4A89GTD PRO AMD 890GX/SB850 1104
M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 AMD 890GX/SB850 1104
Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX/SB750 1503
M4N72-E NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI 2005
M4N82 DELUXE NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI with
NVIDIA NVCC and ESA support 1803
M4N75TD NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI
(NVCC) function 0903
M4N98TD EVO NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI
(NVCC) function 0603
M4A79 Deluxe AMD 790FX/SB750 3204
M4A79T Deluxe AMD 790FX/SB750 3004
M4A78T-E AMD 790GX/SB750 3204
M4A78-E AMD 790GX/SB750 2405
M4A78-E SE AMD 790GX/SB750 14

http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=16116&cid=4

Hmm my M3N-HD HDMI board isn't listed, but it has an nForce 750a chipset like the M4N series. I'm thinking it might work.

If I recall an article the 6 core AMD CPU's will be out April 26, 2010. 4 Days away. i am looking forward to reading bench marks. And see how they stack up against the Core I7's. In addition to whether I should buy a quad core I7 or a 6 core AMD CPU for around the same price. And what role does self overclocking and hyper-threading plays...

Those prices are really competitive for dual processor configurations (READ: PROCESSOR) when contrasted to a 980x (which I just got). However, I am unimpressed with the current AMD chipsets compared to the x58 offerings, so I am not interested in this in particular as the platform falls short in that realm.

I am waiting for AMD to come up with a proc that can handle 12 threads, but at that price you can very easily (and affordably) get one of their dual proc procs and set that up, and likely out perform a 6 core HT proc (ala 980x).

Nice AMD, but please catch up with your chipsets. :(

Those prices are really competitive for dual processor configurations (READ: PROCESSOR) when contrasted to a 980x (which I just got). However, I am unimpressed with the current AMD chipsets compared to the x58 offerings, so I am not interested in this in particular as the platform falls short in that realm.

I am waiting for AMD to come up with a proc that can handle 12 threads, but at that price you can very easily (and affordably) get one of their dual proc procs and set that up, and likely out perform a 6 core HT proc (ala 980x).

Term of the day: Dual socket

I had to read that a couple of times, because I have been running 6 core and 12 core AMD processors for a while now. I think I usually buy those for about a grand, so these had better be something spectacular. I have been thinking about building a new desktop, I am not sure how long I have been running this Q6600, but maybe I will build an AMD system this time. I got one of my employees and I7 980x and have been feeling a bit of processor envy. I am always happy with my system till I build someone something new and better.

"DigiTimes, citing anonymous industry sources, claims that AMD is ready to launch its six-core processors."

Intel points and laughs

the i7 will still clobber this i bet

so far, amd has had to use more cores and cheaper price to keep up with intel.
i don't see that changing anytime soon.

890FX is launching along side these cpu's, I think it's actually the 26th. It's going to offer SB850 (sata 3.0/usb 3.0), Quad+ Crossfire, and AMD's first gigabyte nic. The should be priced around the same as their 790FX counterparts, with the exception of the Crosshair IV Deluxe which will more than likely be $200+.

the i7 will still clobber this i bet

so far, amd has had to use more cores and cheaper price to keep up with intel.
i don't see that changing anytime soon.

From the looks of the early benchmarks I'd say that these chips will definitely be competitive with i7 and the two will exchange blows regularly. Competition in this market sector is good for all of us and it will hopefully drive down the price of the i7.

The 980x is going to be left all alone at the top of the pyramid.

From the looks of the early benchmarks I'd say that these chips will definitely be competitive with i7 and the two will exchange blows regularly. Competition in this market sector is good for all of us and it will hopefully drive down the price of the i7.

The 980x is going to be left all alone at the top of the pyramid.

These X6s appeared to be priced to compete with the i5s and as I've stated earlier, if you look at the i5 vs X4s reviews/benchmarks, the i5's 2 core 4 threads competes fine against the X4s. With this in mind i7 still has 2 extra threads compared to the X6s so I don't see much threat to the i7s.

These X6s appeared to be priced to compete with the i5s and as I've stated earlier, if you look at the i5 vs X4s reviews/benchmarks, the i5's 2 core 4 threads competes fine against the X4s. With this in mind i7 still has 2 extra threads compared to the X6s so I don't see much threat to the i7s.

The 1090t is priced at $300 which put's it in line with the 860 and the 930.
The 1050t is priced at $200 which put's it in line with the i5 Line.

It's all going to boil down to the benches, apps and games used and how they take to each architecture. I don't think there's gonna be a clear winner anymore other than the 980x. There are time's when the Phenom 2 arcitecture out performs the i5, and sometimes the i7. There are time's when the i5 leads them all with sheer clockspeed. (AMD's Turbo could show the same results). This all assuming stock speeds.

The competition is good and clean and now there's a choice in the higher end market, ~$500.

I don't think anyone could go wrong with any platform today, other than maybe longevity reason's. This is all speculation on my part and mainly for fun but I'm excited to see how AMD's new muscle compares to the i7.

Ah you're correct. I paid too much attention to the $200 USD and didn't think to check the exchange rate for the higher price. I remain skeptical but if they price it there, there has to be some justification so I look forward to the reviews/benchmarks.

I mean honestly stop with the, "Most app(s) don't use but one core or this game or that game only uses this many cores". Who cares. If poeple want to spend their money let them spend it. This tired argument about cores is really borish and overdone. If you're on this forum it's because you want the latest and greatest bleeding edge technology there is. If that's not why you're here turn your mancard in.

There I feel better.

Not everyone here have money to spend on the latest and greatest hardware.

If a person is looking into an AMD chip, its safe to assume this person is looking to maximize the most out of the money spent.

The latest and greatest is still i7 980 which is not what this thread is about.

If a person is looking into an AMD chip, its safe to assume this person is looking to maximize the most out of the money spent.

agreed 100 percent

AMD represents a compromise between performance and value

and AMD's are money well spent

agreed 100 percent

AMD represents a compromise between performance and value

and AMD's are money well spent

AMD would LOVE to have CPUs it could sell for more than $300 in the consumer space, they simply can't right now.

The last AMD desktop CPU I bought was the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ and that puppy set me back about $800 back at the 2005. Their Athlon FX line was much like Intel's EE line today and those chips were running around $1k.

Then in June 2006 something called the Core 2 came out and its more or less been AMD CPUs in the bargin bin since. But whenever AMD catches up to Intel again you'll be yearning for the old days again.

AMD would LOVE to have CPUs it could sell for more than $300 in the consumer space, they simply can't right now.

The last AMD desktop CPU I bought was the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ and that puppy set me back about $800 back at the 2005. Their Athlon FX line was much like Intel's EE line today and those chips were running around $1k.

Then in June 2006 something called the Core 2 came out and its more or less been AMD CPUs in the bargin bin since. But whenever AMD catches up to Intel again you'll be yearning for the old days again.

i paid $1,031 for a FX-60 chip in March or April 2006

never again

i paid $1,031 for a FX-60 chip in March or April 2006

never again

Ouch, just before the Core 2. Yeah, I was a little reluctant to buy the 4800+ at the time because the rumors were in full force at the end of 2005 that the Core 2 was going to be awesome but I went ahead anyway because 6 months for near top of the line was too bad, that 4800+ was a fair system.

Indeed, if people only wanted to read about and purchase the most powerful hardware, there'd be very little left for debate. Determining the best option for a particular sum of money is what interests people, because it's possible to make that personally relevant.

Back