AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz - Time for a new Proc?

dualcore

n00b
All,

I have an AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz @ 1.48v (flucuates from 1.44 to 1.50 in Windows).
Yeah I got a pretty $hitty chip... unlucky me.. It SHOULD go higher, but doesn't.

My question is, should I breath new life into my old socket 939 one last time?

I'd like to go the C2D route, but that entails not only upgrading the CPU, but also the Motherboard, and getting 2GB of new PC6400 Ram too... ($650+??)

Should I try to find an Opty170 and shoot for 2.8Ghz? Will I see any improvements over my X2 3800+? In other words does the cost (about $200) justify 2.4Ghz to potentially 2.8Ghz?

The problem is, I can't find any decent Opty170's that will do 2.8Ghz out of the box anymore. I'm reading that the ones Newegg have are just rebadged X2's, and that obviously has me nervous to spend $200, only to get possibly 2.4-2.5 out of it... that's a wasted $200 right there! Anyone selling their Opty170? Uggg.. what to do!!

The extra 400MHz isn't worth $200, even if it were guaranteed. I would just wait and save money for the quad stuff later this year. I overclocked my 4600+ from 2.4 to 2.8 and while I got a little boost of 5-15% in games, I wouldn't have paid money for it.

Hmm... 8800gts and an X2 at only 2.4
If it were me id shoot for X2 3600 AM2 when its price goes into the 70 something bracket and a good clocking mobo with some decentish ram.

The extra 400MHz isn't worth $200, even if it were guaranteed. I would just wait and save money for the quad stuff later this year. I overclocked my 4600+ from 2.4 to 2.8 and while I got a little boost of 5-15% in games, I wouldn't have paid money for it.

Thanks for the info... I think you're right the cost of $200 might be best saved for an upgrade to C2D or even Quad Core come Xmas time this year.
What stinks is the fact the upgrade is 3 parts, not just 1.
It burns my a$$ I need to buy new memory + CPU + MB, but that's what happens when your hobby is computers... always upgrading!

I would say wait till processors get cheaper and you really start to see your cpu lag behind, I got an amd opteron 170 and I still have no problems with any piece of current software and games.

When the AM2's get cheaper and as the other guy said, teh quads get cheaper and readily available,then thats the time to move.

Unless of course you love overclocking and you wanna break some boundries :p

Intel is allegedly releasing a Q6600, a quad-core proc with 8MB L2, for $250 later this year. Save your money.

If you can find a 165CD they usually hit 2.6+ don't they? either way I don't think your cpu is slow I'd say stick with it and wait for barcelona or the C2 Quads to drop in price ^^

Thanks for the advice guys.
I'm going to hold off.. and continue to use this X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz.

Yeah the volts are pretty high to run @ 2.4Ghz, but it is stable, and temps (even though volts are high) run pretty cool (as low as 31c idle, 55c max underload).

If Intel releases an inexpensive QuadCore, I might go that route in Q4 of this year, but for now, I'll stick with what I have...

Thanks again... I love these forums... such an excellent source of very helpful information! :D

If you are looking to upgrade, get a new case:p But yea IMO sit tight with what you have. You should be good for a little while longer till AM2 and Quads or cheap Quads from Intel.

If you are brave enough to remove the IHS on your processor.. you can probably ghet it up to 2.6-ish... you might have to rasie the voltage evn more.. but temps shouldn't go any higher.

I dropped about 18C on my Opty 175 (2.75Ghz @ 1.7v) and can now run it at 2.8Ghz @ 1.675v.

If you are brave enough to remove the IHS on your processor.. you can probably ghet it up to 2.6-ish... you might have to rasie the voltage evn more.. but temps shouldn't go any higher.

I dropped about 18C on my Opty 175 (2.75Ghz @ 1.7v) and can now run it at 2.8Ghz @ 1.675v.

I have removed the IHS, however, it the HSF doesn't seem to sit flush on the processor.
Do I need like a shim or something? I can put the IHS back on, and the processor works fine.. idles @ 37c right now with house temp @ 24c, but I'm not sure how to get the HSF to sit flush with the processor. Thoughts?

well, you didn't state what hsf you are using... the easiest way to alter the height of a heatsink is to just bend the clip-brackets if it mounts with them. If it makes use of the two standoff mounts on the motherboard instead, you can carefully cut 1/8" off the standoff mounts to snug the hsf closer to the cpu.

well, you didn't state what hsf you are using... the easiest way to alter the height of a heatsink is to just bend the clip-brackets if it mounts with them. If it makes use of the two standoff mounts on the motherboard instead, you can carefully cut 1/8" off the standoff mounts to snug the hsf closer to the cpu.

I have the retail HSF, and an MSI motherboard (K8N-SLI).

The HSF clips to a both sides of a mount and locks in with a spring lock.

Are their pix or a video on how to get this to work without the IHS?

Hmm... 8800gts and an X2 at only 2.4
The CPU bottleneck isn't that bad if you don't count 3DMark :p

My GeForce 7900GT is more of a bottleneck than my single-core Athlon 64 @ 2.7GHz. I know an 8800 series card would probably make me CPU limited, but the point is, even with a single core, there's room to move upwards from a 7900GT.

I have the retail HSF, and an MSI motherboard (K8N-SLI).

The HSF clips to a both sides of a mount and locks in with a spring lock.

Are their pix or a video on how to get this to work without the IHS?

Thats 1/2 of your problem there. The 3800x2 stock heat sink was crappy. Get a good aftermarket one and I bet you can get 2.6+

Well, I know I said I wasn't going to do it, but I spent $200, and bought an Opteron 170. (No, not new!!)

Yes, it's used, because I didnt want to buy one from Newegg, and get stuck with a stepping that doesn't OC very well. Most Opty 170's from there (lately) are LCB9E's, and if it's not, it's a crap-shoot on what I'm gunna get... (I'm not good at gambling with CPU's)

The $200 included the chip, and an included Zalman 9700 LED, plus I got an awesome stepping chip - CCBBE 0610DPMW. From what I'm reading, this should do quite well with just a little vcore, and with the 9700 HSF, it will keep the temps pretty low. I'm hoping to run it @ 2.8Ghz, maybe 2.9Ghz if I can run Prime stable for a few hours! Previous owner ran 2.75Ghz with standard vcore.

I think it's $200 well spent... the cost of a 9700 LED is $80 at Newegg, so $120 for a well known stepping (if not the best) Opty 170... I'll take it! :D

you're aware you could have spent less than 200$ for a socket 775 chip more or less guaranteed to do 3.0+ at stock and be faster clock per clock than even that opteron, right?

right....?

I feel your pain though, I'm stuck at 2603mhz at max volts on my board. I only run at 1280x1024 though, so its not time for a new vid card quite yet.

edit: it wasn't worth it. a few hundred mhz will get you a few hundred points in 3dm, nothing more. imo, should have saved your money for an intel setup.

I feel your pain though, I'm stuck at 2603mhz at max volts on my board. I only run at 1280x1024 though, so its not time for a new vid card quite yet.

you're aware you could have spent less than 200$ for a socket 775 chip more or less guaranteed to do 3.0+ at stock and be faster clock per clock than even that opteron, right?

right....?

Actually, I needed a new cooler (from previous info in this thread), as the AMD Stock cooler sux.

The cost of the proc was $120-$140, and while I'm sure I could have bought a new C2D for a bit more, that also requires me to buy a new Motherboard (another $150, $200), and some new memory, as this PC3200 BH-5 isn't going to work in that new MB. So a 2GB PC-6400 Kit would be another $200-$250. So, in the shortterm.. $200 will last me another year or so, vs spending $650+. I'll put that $450 away (not that I have it), and in 2008 look to upgrade.. yet again!

yeah, I remembered you were on ddr1 , hence my edit, but that doesn't change my opinion. Really, getting a few hundred mhz isn't a huge deal, unless you like staring at tenths of a second in superpi.

jesus you replied fast. I edited my post 35 seconds after posting it lol

Back