Anand re-examines Conroe benchmarks

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
I'd agree if Intel had just released a bunch of numbers. But they didn't. They allowed a plethora of sites to come in and bench a clean system with Conroe installed, and next to it was a clean AMD system overclocked to represent the offerings AMD will have in six months. While there is definitely room for the exact percentage to change, I think that it is a fair conclusion to make that Conroe will beat whatever AMD has out by a significant percentage. Things can only change so much in six months.

Think of who they're addressing here. Conroe benchies aren't ending up on CNN, they're showing up on enthusiast sites like AnandTech. The enthusiast audience will be much less forgiving than the general public if when Conroe comes out it's the second coming of Prescott. Making this stuff up would be just plain dumb.

It wouldn't be the first time... Marketing spin is a big part of the Intel advertising machine... Or any advertising machine, for that matter. Most of the sites complained that they weren't allowed enough time to run multiple benchmarks and get an average result.

I'm not saying that Conroe isn't going to be good, quite the opposite. I'm saying HOW good it will be remains to be seen, and that won't change due to a few pre-production reviews.

"things can only change so much in 6 months"? LOL look at the video card industry. AMD hasn't had a reason to really push new innovations out into the market because the P4 was lousy competition. Now they do. AMD just tends to keep their yap shut, good or bad, about what's coming until they have it ready to ship, because they can't afford to screw up on the massive scale that Intel gets away with because of their larger capital and market base.

Intel has the luxury to say "we're the best!" 6 months ahead of release, because they want people to wait that 6 months before buying a new system, rather than buy an AMD one now.

I'm still in a "wait and see" mode. I probably will be upgrading to a Opteron 165/170 shortly, which is still going to be cheaper than buying a new board, ram, power supply, cpu AND video card all at once. Once Conroe comes out, IF the performance is on par with the initial numbers AND if the price is right, AND if it'll overclock like crazy, I'll buy one. Until then, I'm not getting excited about something that is still effectively non-existant.

if id have to ditch my pcp&c 510 i just got... well, ill just go ahead and say no.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Think of who they're addressing here. Conroe benchies aren't ending up on CNN, they're showing up on enthusiast sites like AnandTech. The enthusiast audience will be much less forgiving than the general public if when Conroe comes out it's the second coming of Prescott. Making this stuff up would be just plain dumb.

Best thing I read all day! Hell, all week. Many folks are just having a hard time accepting Intel *might have beaten AMD with a slower clocked processor that used less power and gave off less heat while doing so. I honestly hope K-10 pulls off the same feat. Sorry, I don't have much confidence in AM2/K8L or anything prior to K-10.

New Architectures should kick this much ass. If Conroe sucked, Intel would be doing the same thing AMD is doing now IMHO, not saying a phucking word. There is NO WAY in hell Intel wants [H], Anandtech, PC Perspective, Tom's, Extremetech and the others trashing them for trying to pull a fast one.

No matter how much Intel is faster than AMD, there's enough loyalist to keep AMD doing well IMHO. AMD might drop back down to 16 to 18% of the market but they sure as hell aren't going bankrupt any time soon. Besides, the Germans and the EU have wayyyyyy too much money tied up in AMD to let that happen.

empoy might want to see AMD crushed, he's an Intel employee, do you blame him? As a consumer I want to see both Intel and AMD deal from strenght, not weakness. It sucked when AMD's X2 was doing the nasty to the P4's like that. It didn't suck because I loved Intel and didn't want them slapping the snot out of Intel. It sucked because I didn't want to pay that much for the X2. I took offense when AMD Fa-n-bo-i-s called the prices fair, I don't think they were and are now. Tons of AMDroids online swore AMD would NEVER do such a thing if given the chance aren't you guys who said that pissed?

Here's how it seems to me. We have AMD leaning folks very badly wanting AMD to remain on top, so they can keep prices high and etc...If you guys were AMD employees/stockholdesr/VARs, I'd respect you for this, if not then......

Donnie27 said:
Best thing I read all day! Hell, all week. Many folks are just having a hard time accepting Intel *might have beaten AMD with a slower clocked processor that used less power and gave off less heat while doing so. I honestly hope K-10 pulls off the same feat. Sorry, I don't have much confidence in AM2/K8L or anything prior to K-10.

New Architectures should kick this much ass. If Conroe sucked, Intel would be doing the same thing AMD is doing now IMHO, not saying phucking word. There is NO WAY in hell Intel wants [H], Anandtech, PC Perspective, Tom's, Extremetech and the others trashing them for trying to pull a fast one.

No matter how much Intel is faster than AMD, there's enough loyalist to keep AMD doing well IMHO. AMD might drop back down to 16 to 18% of the market but they sure as hell aren't going bankrupt any time soon. Besides, the Germans and the EU have wayyyyyy too much money tied up in AMD to let that happen.

empoy might want to see AMD crushed, he's an Intel employee, do you blame him? As a consumer I want to see both Intel and AMD deal from strenght, not weakness. It sucked when AMD's X2 was doing the nasty to the P4's like that. It didn't suck because I loved Intel and didn't want them slapping the snot out of Intel. It sucked because I didn't want to pay that much for the X2. I took offense when AMD Fa-n-bo-i-s called the prices fair, I don't think they were and are now. Tons of AMDroids online swore AMD would NEVER do such a thing if given the chance aren't you guys who said that pissed?

Here's how it seems to me. We have AMD leaning folks very badly wanting AMD to remain on top, so they can keep prices high and etc...If you guys were AMD employees/stockholdesr/VARs, I'd respect you for this, if not then......

Wow, possibly the first decent post I've ever seen donnie contribute to any forum, EVER. Right now all I have been recommending to freinds building systems are the p4 805's. Dual core for $130, you can't beat that. And considering they hit around 3.5-4GHz they're no slouch especially considering in multithreaded games the pd 820 (2.8GHz) beats the 2.8GHz fx57, that's a feat in itself and a testament to how important dual core is. AMD's cheapest dual core is like $280? What the hell is up with the prices amd....

sabrewolf732 said:
Wow, possibly the first decent post I've ever seen donnie contribute to any forum, EVER. Right now all I have been recommending to freinds building systems are the p4 805's. Dual core for $130, you can't beat that. And considering they hit around 3.5-4GHz they're no slouch especially considering in multithreaded games the pd 820 (2.8GHz) beats the 2.8GHz fx57, that's a feat in itself and a testament to how important dual core is. AMD's cheapest dual core is like $280? What the hell is up with the prices amd....

Hehehe! :D

Best thing I read all day! Hell, all week. Many folks are just having a hard time accepting Intel *might have beaten AMD with a slower clocked processor that used less power and gave off less heat while doing so.

sigh :(

Nowhere, did anyone mention heat. Not a single one.

in any regards, if intels new (well, its sorta new ;)) arch wasnt faster... something would be seriously wrong.

empoy said:
wow everyone's in a good mood :)

Yeah, seriously. Can I get you a coffee while I'm at 7-11?

This argument is way too intellectual for me (the whole amd fan boys suck/empoy is an intel goon)

we don't have that here :p

Jason we're already at peace here hahahaha you're too late.

empoy said:
we don't have that here :p

Jason we're already at peace here hahahaha you're too late.

You're missing out. It's the home of the Slurpee (which should be the codename for Conroe's successor)

I probably won't ever get Conroe, but Merom I think should be discussed more for overclocking.

I dont have one in my erea, but when I was a kid I grew up in michigan... I remember those big aaassssss big gulps

duby229 said:
I dont have one in my erea, but when I was a kid I grew up in michigan... I remember those big aaassssss big gulps

Double gulp is the best. 64oz drink :cool:
It's the dual core of soda

robberbaron said:
You're missing out. It's the home of the Slurpee (which should be the codename for Conroe's successor)

HA! I live in MN, and we don't have many 7-11s here either. Mostly BP, Holiday Marathon/Super America, and none of those places has a decent Slurpee alternative.

HA! I live in MN, and we don't have many 7-11s here either. Mostly BP, Holiday Marathon/Super America, and none of those places has a decent Slurpee alternative.

Wow! the only name I recognize there is BP. Hear we just have Shell, BP, Sheetz. Plus Giant Eagle just got done last year spinning off a new convenience store which I cant remember what the heck its called.

duby229 said:
straws...

Give us your view on heat? Conroe 2.66GHz has a TDP of 65W, FX-60 110W and FX -62 125W honestly what's the big deal? Intel makes the coolest running processor right now, Dothan for Single Core and Yonah for Dual. Maybe talking about heat would have seemed like pilin' on?

Conroe has Smart Power features that shut down unused parts of the Core and S-RAM (Cache) on-the-fly.

Donnie27 said:
Intel makes the coolest running processor right now, Dothan for Single Core and Yonah for Dual. Maybe talking about heat would have seemed like pilin' on?

Actually Via makes cooler running processors (The C7 and C3) and they have a dual C3 board out, 7.5W per CPU.

Via's cpus idle at 0.1W IIRC

robberbaron said:
Donnie27 said:
Intel makes the coolest running processor right now, Dothan for Single Core and Yonah for Dual. Maybe talking about heat would have seemed like pilin' on?

Actually Via makes cooler running processors (The C7 and C3) and they have a dual C3 board out, 7.5W per CPU.

True!

By the way, TDP on lab samples mean absolutely nothing. First they were not measured rates..... Or at the very least so far noone has verified them... I'd suspect that they arent too good, becouse why else would Intel prevent people from verifying themain selling point of this architecture?

Second the way that AMD and Intel measure TDP is very differant. Intel measures typical power, AMD measures maximum safe power....

Big differance....

This is a post that I made on page six. It still applies even now.

I dont know if resolution makes a differance in how many posts per page, but I'm running 1024x768

the POST NUMBER would have been nice. :p
also, you can change the number of posts per page in your CP. i like 40 the most ;)

Never mind there is an optionunder quick links that let you set the number of posts per page, I'm using the default of 40

edit its post 199, on page 5....

seems I'm a bit dyslexic too.

me too. i didn't realize the post you quoted was your own, i thought you were arguing against that point for whatever reason :p

but yeah, i agree... actually, i think i'd extend what you said about AMD's rating to something like this: "absolute maximum theoretically possible"

but yeah, it's usually like ~60-75% of that it seems, as the load TDP

duby229 said:
Never mind there is an optionunder quick links that let you set the number of posts per page, I'm using the default of 40

edit its post 199, on page 5....

seems I'm a bit dyslexic too.

Doesn't matter how they (AMD and Intel) tests. Reviewers tested Dothan and Yonah and said they run cooler and uses less power. Conroe uses Smarter Power Savings so folks aren't expecting it to be much hotter or use as much power.

Since you guys don't believe the Benchmark results, will you believe the heat output and power draw test results?

robberbaron said:

Huh ?! Dothan ULV 1GHz has 5w TDP and 1.2GHz model has 7w TDP while in idle it falls to something like 1w...

Which one is better ?

Since you guys don't believe the Benchmark results, will you believe the heat output and power draw test results?

What power results? Intel didnt let anybody look at the temps.

Huh ?! Dothan ULV 1GHz has 5w TDP and 1.2GHz model has 7w TDP while in idle it falls to something like 1w...

Which one is better ?

Your not gonna be able to use that Dothan very effectivly in an embedded device. That is the target for C3...

Dothan=mobile=great
C3=embedded=geat
Dothan=embedded=hot
C3=mobile=slow

Donnie27 said:

Sossaman just came out. Let's start a new thread and wank off ;)

empoy said:
not every poster here lives in the States.

Even so... They've got 7-11s in Japan even. Tho they're called "sebun erebun" :rolleyes: No slurpees in japanese 7-11s. Makes me sad. They have wicked bentos, or boxed lunches though... I'd never eat a packaged lunch at a 7-11 here in Canada. Scary, scary stuff.

Back