Another Vista Victim

Well my psc 2510 prints wirelessly using the Vista supplied drivers. But it won't scan or read memory cards. Apparently those only work if you plug the printer into a USB port (haven't tried it), which kind of defeats the whole point of getting a wireless printer to start with. For now I have to scan from my XP laptop then copy the files to my Vista machine. I don't use those features enough for this to be a major issue, but it would be nice to have working drivers.

I've been through enough Windows launches that I didn't expect a lot of driver support. But Vista really seems to be the worst so far. Half my hardware devices are using limited generic drivers and the other half are using beta drivers.

Does the PSC2510 have an embedded web server at all? I have the Officejet 7310 on my network at home and have the same issue - Vista natively supports printing but not scanning. However, I can still scan from the PC using the embedded web server (browse to the IP address of the machine on the network and scan from IE/Firefox that way...) It's a pain, but at least a short-term workaround until HP gets around to updating their full featured drivers, and if you don't use it much, should be better than having to get the laptop out...

Top feed mechanism+fixed print head=Junk

best quality photo pictures with PIM+better ink system=my R2400 and r220 for the win

quality? top loader? I dont care when the prints come out like they do. When the heads die, replace the printer there dirt cheap anyway... HP heads get replaced with each ink change, but the printer itself has plenty of other things that are gonna break resulting in a replacement. All home printer are junk that you should expect to replace every year if its used alot.

Neither my OfficeJet T45 (all in one), nor my DeskJet 3620 have drivers.

..|.. HP

best quality photo pictures with PIM+better ink system=my R2400 and r220 for the win

quality? top loader? I dont care when the prints come out like they do. When the heads die, replace the printer there dirt cheap anyway... HP heads get replaced with each ink change, but the printer itself has plenty of other things that are gonna break resulting in a replacement. All home printer are junk that you should expect to replace every year if its used alot.

As a service technician, I've seen plenty more failures that were non-print head oriented on Canon and Epson printers than I have HP printers. In every way shape and form the HP printers are mechanically superior. Of this I have no doubt.

As far as print quality, Epson is most often ahead of HP in that area. I don't deny that. That isn't as important to me as reliability. If a product is unreliable then what good is it? The Epson printers have print head issues all the time. When nozzels stop firing, just what do you think your prints look like?

I do agree that all printers marketed for use in the home are junk and that yearly replacement is realistic given the quality of the printers in question.

There is NOT one PhotoSmart model on there list, why is that I wonder?
A lot of those modles are not that old.

Who knows? I just hope for their sake that they get some drivers created for their Photosmart series quickly. Hopefully this is a situation where they didn't get the drivers ready in time for Microsoft to include them in the Vista release. All we can hope for is that there will be downloadable versions of those drivers soon.

ran into the same BS with my scanjet 220C. in vista x32, the xp drivers work.

no xp 64 drivers for my scanner that i can use with vista x64, real piss off. look on planet x64, some people have gotten the xp 64 and xp 32 drivers to work on vista rtm.

you have to love HP, i guess they want us to NEVER buy another HP product... stupid @#@$% backwards company. next scanner I am going cannon, no support problems there.

Printer wise, waiting for x64 drivers for my hp 1020, running it off a 2nd pentium 3 comp over the network via generic hp drivers off my vista box.

Funny you mention canon, since my canon printer will not have a x64 xp or vista driver release... so lame..

XP drivers shouldn't work. The driver model is different.

I bought a crappy HP Deskjet D1320 printer at Wally World a few months back, $23.96 out the door (no tax here in Las Vegas).

Got it home, fired it up with Vista, no support obviously. The 32 bit versions of Vista worked just fine with the D1320 with no issues.

The 64 bit side was a bit more complicated, but, since I don't give up easily, I located the 64 bit XP x64 drivers for the printer at HP's site, ran the installer (which of course craps out) but copied the temp directory where the drivers were extracted and then closed the installer.

Went to install a new printer, pointed it to that copied temp directory, wham. No issues, works great.

I've heard many people tell me they discovered the same procedure not only for just the printers, but other devices as well. I don't know about the entire driver "model" being different, but I've had no issues with using 32 bit XP drivers for 32 bit Vista editions, nor with using 64 bit XP x64 drivers for 64 bit Vista editions, so far, across 12 machines I've worked with of late.

Printers, media card readers, they've all worked across both the XP and Vista platforms so far.

maybe its a ploy to get you to buy a new printer...

lol, first we need dual cores, and more ram, and now new printers lol..

all that aside, I love vista so far, its what XP should have been from day one.

Just to chime in here, I've got an HP Photosmart 7850 and there are no drivers for it yet but there's a basic driver built into Vista...

Who knows? I just hope for their sake that they get some drivers created for their Photosmart series quickly. Hopefully this is a situation where they didn't get the drivers ready in time for Microsoft to include them in the Vista release. All we can hope for is that there will be downloadable versions of those drivers soon.

I sure hope you are right Dan. But if this is the case, why not come out and say "we do not have drivers yet for your printer"? Instead, the message they convey is quite succinct in declaring no support at all for Vista.

While inkjet/consumer/prosumer printers may be junk, the Photosmart series were always touted as good printers (albiet slow printing) for home photo reproduction. My wife does scrapbooking and can set up an assortment of photos she wants for a page layout. I kept telling her that the new drivers were coming (according to the HP support web page before Vista launched), and then yesterday had to tell her its time for a new printer.

If, according to the other posters I've read correctly, it seems the Photosmart series in general got the whiff from HP. If that is the case, there are going to be some pissed off people that will shy away from HP's consumer line of printers in the future.

-E

I also wanted to note, that the link with the message from HP has been taken down. instead, when you click the link for Vista support, you get a blank page with a dialog box asking "didn't find what you are looking for"? So, either they are updating the drivers, or, they ended up with enough consumer backlash that they will cave in and give us a driver.
Who knows.

-E

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=58158&dlc=en&lang=en

OK, I've been running Vista Ultimate since RTM, and for the most part everything works except for my printer. HP said that they would have Vista drivers come Vista launch. They had every indication that this was happening and so I waited for the Retail release. So, its launched, I saunter over to HP's website, where, I do a search for an HP Photosmart P1100 printer. Lo and behold, what do I read?

Dammit, these guys are too lazy to write a new driver for their product? So fine, I said, I need a driver for my HP Scanjet USB scanner I have. Same @#%$#% message! Yea, I got kicked in the balls by HP not once, but twice.

Point to this rant? Just and FYI to all those thinking about upgrading. Check your hardware out before the upgrade. Let us mascocists go first. :)

-E

Link to the HP Message.

I have the same problem with my HP Laserjet 1012. It's their cheap consumer laser, but they haven't created any vista drivers yet. Fortunately I was able to use the XP driver to get it to work.

I installed Vista Business 64-bit yesterday and both of my printers (Brother MFC-420CN and Samsung ML-2010) are supported. :D The only 2 drivers I had to install were the RealTek sound drivers (via device manager) and the Samsung printer drivers (native Vista installer). *Everything* else was detected.

maybe its a ploy to get you to buy a new printer...

lol, first we need dual cores, and more ram, and now new printers lol..

all that aside, I love vista so far, its what XP should have been from day one.

Not mabye, definitely. I work with another brand of printers/copiers/line production priters and will say that from my standpoint that any device you people grouped as consumers buy that costs less than 3 ink/toner refills is considered disposable.

My company recieves dell personal printers for free. When they break, or do not print correctly, they are disposed of and another free dell printer replaces that.

Dan_D made a reference to postscript. I suggest everyone looking into a new printer buy one with postscript capabilities. It will cost more, but moves the technology from being something directly derived from your OS into its own language. Your printer then will process a standard print file.

The HP4 from 1992 is still an office workhorse. For the general user of this forum I would suggest going to a local used office supply company and looking for a working model with under 250,000 impressions (prints). It should cost less than $200. Plug it into your network and not concern yourselves with driver compatabilities.

Dan_D made a reference to postscript. I suggest everyone looking into a new printer buy one with postscript capabilities. It will cost more, but moves the technology from being something directly derived from your OS into its own language. Your printer then will process a standard print file.

The HP4 from 1992 is still an office workhorse. For the general user of this forum I would suggest going to a local used office supply company and looking for a working model with under 250,000 impressions (prints). It should cost less than $200. Plug it into your network and not concern yourselves with driver compatabilities.
Amen to that. My parents' LaserJet 4P still runs, although they just replaced it with a new, network-connected Samsung. We'll see how it goes. Postscript is also a must--I hate it when printing something hangs up my computer while it does all the processing.

Not mabye, definitely. I work with another brand of printers/copiers/line production priters and will say that from my standpoint that any device you people grouped as consumers buy that costs less than 3 ink/toner refills is considered disposable.

My company recieves dell personal printers for free. When they break, or do not print correctly, they are disposed of and another free dell printer replaces that.

I wasn't only referring to Postscript capabilities, but compatibility. Remember HP set the standards to begin with. All these other printer drivers emulate PCL5,PCL5e, PCL6 and so on. They do so and it generally works well. There are times and there are applications where this emulation falls short and a non-HP printer will print the job incorrectly or not at all.

Turn around and use that same file that won't print or prints incorrectly on an HP printer and it will work everytime. I've foud the same is true of Postscript. HP does it better. Period.

I've got an ancient 5si mx here at my shop - thats a workhorse HP. The page count on this one is well over 600,000 now. If you figure costs....

1200 reams of paper (figure the really cheap stuff at $5 a ream for fun) - $6000.00
Toner (figured at 15,000 pages and $150 each) - $6000.00
Maint (fuser) kits (figured at 100,000 pages and $250 each) $1500.00

$13,500 in supplies plus the cost of the printer in this ones life. I don't remember what these old 5si (and 8000) series originally sold for but figuring at a grand for fun that still leaves my total cost per page under 3 cents. I do also like my Epson Photo 320 though. Epson shows no drivers for Vista - get XP drivers, right click choose XP SP2 compatibility and install the drivers. Works just fine.

I've got an ancient 5si mx here at my shop - thats a workhorse HP. The page count on this one is well over 600,000 now. If you figure costs....

1200 reams of paper (figure the really cheap stuff at $5 a ream for fun) - $6000.00
Toner (figured at 15,000 pages and $150 each) - $6000.00
Maint (fuser) kits (figured at 100,000 pages and $250 each) $1500.00

$13,500 in supplies plus the cost of the printer in this ones life. I don't remember what these old 5si (and 8000) series originally sold for but figuring at a grand for fun that still leaves my total cost per page under 3 cents. I do also like my Epson Photo 320 though. Epson shows no drivers for Vista - get XP drivers, right click choose XP SP2 compatibility and install the drivers. Works just fine.

They sold for between $2500-$3000 originally if I remember correctly. Granted the $3000 model came with duplexer, stand, additional paper trays and so on.

They sold for between $2500-$3000 originally if I remember correctly. Granted the $3000 model came with duplexer, stand, additional paper trays and so on.

Thats the one I've got. It's about four feet tall. Does 2 sided, and the very bottom tray (which is the stand) holds and entire case of paper, not just a ream. It also has memory upgrades, jet direct, and a post script card of some sort.

I love how you guys have hijacked this thread.....over 2 pages of sheer brutality! Go make a "Printers" forums and share pictures of your beloved treasures or something. :p :p

Not sure but could the people that work on the projects for printer/scanner support for Linux somehow adapt their Linux drivers to be used on Vista?

Thats the one I've got. It's about four feet tall. Does 2 sided, and the very bottom tray (which is the stand) holds and entire case of paper, not just a ream. It also has memory upgrades, jet direct, and a post script card of some sort.

Yep, that's the expensive mother.

Here is the response I sent to HP regarding drivers for my 825c..

No driver for windows vista. That is a very arrogant attitude. Don't you know there are other printer manufactures?? Well, I do and that is where I will go if vista can't supply a driver for this printer.

Hey guys, just a little info on the HP PSC1315 AIO printers. They are supported in the Vista driver package. Mine is working fine, in fact the driver is very good. Only thing lacking from the standard HP driver seems to be the ink level indicator.

reswob posted on page one that the HP site does not list support, but Vista is using the 1310 series print driver and it works good.

I am running the Vista Beta RC1 so I hope the final has not changed this support...:)

This is old hat for HP. Every time a new Windows comes out, they pretend there will be no drivers for various printers, then a few months down the road, driver will "mysteriously" appear on their website, or they'll try and charge for them.

This is old hat for HP. Every time a new Windows comes out, they pretend there will be no drivers for various printers, then a few months down the road, driver will "mysteriously" appear on their website, or they'll try and charge for them.

They won't charge for them...but they'll make available (for a nominal shipping and handling fee) the full-featured drivers on a convenient CD. ;)

That being said, Vista has built-in support for what appear to be hundreds of HP printers across a variety of lines (DeskJets, OfficeJets, LaserJets, PhotoSmart, etc.) Just not every single make and model is listed.

However, from what I recall way back when with Windows XP...whatever DeskJet model I had worked, I just had to use a different built-in driver until HP got around to making one model-specific for me. (For example, it was something like using the 840 driver for an 842.) Not ideal, but worth a shot...

Same situation for me. HP releases drivers that work for a subset of whatever model you have: the 840 series covers 840, 842, etc. My D1320 Deskjet uses the D1300 series drivers just fine. It's been that way for many years now, especially with HP.

Also, even though Vista has a huge built-in database of drivers, Windows Update has even more as long as you can get to it, so there's always the possibility of getting some working driver between those two. If not, then off to the manufacturer's site you go...

That being said, Vista has built-in support for what appear to be hundreds of HP printers across a variety of lines (DeskJets, OfficeJets, LaserJets, PhotoSmart, etc.) Just not every single make and model is listed.

What photosmart printers are supported in Vista? I've been unable to get a clear answer to this one. I know I only paid $300 for this printer a little over 2 years ago, but damn it, I won't solicit any manufacturer that screws its customers out of support for its own products.

-E

What photosmart printers are supported in Vista? I've been unable to get a clear answer to this one. I know I only paid $300 for this printer a little over 2 years ago, but damn it, I won't solicit any manufacturer that screws its customers out of support for its own products.

-E

I'd relax. HP will most liklely come out with drivers for their currently unsupported printers. HP has done this in the past. It was this way when XP came out and if that was any indication how this will play out, then I'd sleep easy knowing that it will get done.

I didnt know it was a 2 years old pringer he was working with... that makes sence that its not first on the list to get drivers, expecially with the way printers has boomed in the last year

oh, and regarding the 1310 series.

printer.jpg

Well I just had a long chat with some people from HP and it seems that they are working on a whole fist full of printer drivers. But they said it is going to take them about 2 or 3 months for all the drivers in Vista 32 and 64. Yes even my old 1700 ps d drivers. So I guess we will wait and see like everyone else. Vista U 64. It's here time time time will tell.:eek: :p

Well I just had a long chat with some people from HP and it seems that they are working on a whole fist full of printer drivers. But they said it is going to take them about 2 or 3 months for all the drivers in Vista 32 and 64. Yes even my old 1700 ps d drivers. So I guess we will wait and see like everyone else. Vista U 64. It's here time time time will tell.:eek: :p

i am not surprised. I knew they would do it, it will just take time.

I'd relax. HP will most liklely come out with drivers for their currently unsupported printers. HP has done this in the past. It was this way when XP came out and if that was any indication how this will play out, then I'd sleep easy knowing that it will get done.

Understood. Still, they've had a banner up for Vista support questions for over two months on the website. Plus, Vista is a 5+ year venture. Its not like Microsoft stealth'd Vista out the door to all the manufacturers by surprise. I think I'm more upset by my original post about how both my HP products weren't receiving Vista support. Not, "we don't have them ready at this time" but flat out "you aren't getting any. Think about upgrading to newer Vista supported HP products." It was the wrong message to send that HP has taken down as of last night.

-E

Back