Another Vista Victim

I'm screwed too, I have an old HP photosmart 1000 that's been good to me for years.

If you guys find a hardware device that doesnt have a Vista driver try using an XP driver (assuming you're not in x64 vista)

So far the ones I've found do work with Xp drivers at the very least for basic functionality.

I'm sorry to hear that people are having such problems gaining Vista drivers for their printers. We've been working with Microsoft for years to have as many print drivers ready upon launch as possible. Unfortunately, lines had to be drawn as to what could be developed with Vista and what couldn't.

As the Vice President of Marketing for the HP LaserJet division, I can say that we have as many print drivers ready for Vista as possible. If you have a LaserJet and are curious about Vista launch ramifications, please feel free to peruse my blog on HP LaserJets and the Vista launch [/URL] : http://h20325.www2.hp.com/blogs/laserjet/archive/2006/12/18/2097.html. If you have any questions/comments on LaserJets and Vista or Office '07, please leave them on my blog.

-Vince

I'm sorry to hear that people are having such problems gaining Vista drivers for their printers. We've been working with Microsoft for years to have as many print drivers ready upon launch as possible. Unfortunately, lines had to be drawn as to what could be developed with Vista and what couldn't.

As the Vice President of Marketing for the HP LaserJet division, I can say that we have as many print drivers ready for Vista as possible. If you have a LaserJet and are curious about Vista launch ramifications, please feel free to peruse my blog on HP LaserJets and the Vista launch [/url] : http://h20325.www2.hp.com/blogs/laserjet/archive/2006/12/18/2097.html. If you have any questions/comments on LaserJets and Vista or Office '07, please leave them on my blog.

-Vince

Well, thats great to hear Mr Ferraro. I am sure the Laserjet crowd will be pleased. With that said, folks with photosmart printers older than 1 year seem to be out of luck. The same is true for my HP Scanjet USB scanner, but I can sort of get it to function.

I can understand why HP would draw the line in the sand and say which products would not be supported, but would it not have been handled better if HP was forthcoming as to what the criteria for judging which printers didn't receive support? In the past, many OEM's released a chart outlining which model(s) would be supported for a particular OS. Instead, I waited almost 3 months (VIsta Ultimate RTM MSDN) for a printer driver only to find HP had known which printers it would no longer support.

Thanks for your input.

-E

Understood. Still, they've had a banner up for Vista support questions for over two months on the website. Plus, Vista is a 5+ year venture. Its not like Microsoft stealth'd Vista out the door to all the manufacturers by surprise. I think I'm more upset by my original post about how both my HP products weren't receiving Vista support. Not, "we don't have them ready at this time" but flat out "you aren't getting any. Think about upgrading to newer Vista supported HP products." It was the wrong message to send that HP has taken down as of last night.

-E

Agreed. There is a big difference between the two.

As the Vice President of Marketing for the HP LaserJet division, I can say that we have as many print drivers ready for Vista as possible. If you have a LaserJet and are curious about Vista launch ramifications, please feel free to peruse my blog on HP LaserJets and the Vista launch [/URL] : http://h20325.www2.hp.com/blogs/laserjet/archive/2006/12/18/2097.html. If you have any questions/comments on LaserJets and Vista or Office '07, please leave them on my blog.

-Vince

As a Laserjet certified technician, and printer technician of many years as well as someone who works in IT daily, I can safely say that the Laserjet support is never a problem. HP has always taken care of business in that regard. This thread is about HP Deskjet and Photosmart printer support. Support for those products, especially the latter mentioned Photosmart printer is non-existant with Vista. To many people, a two year old or even one year old printer without driver support in the new OS (considering development time.) is unacceptable.

Canon has had printer drivers for Vista on their website for some time now plus the software that came with the printer,even their $50.00 i350 which is an older model! Why is that HP do the same?

I'm both lucky and unlucky in this regard...

Vista Drivers Available
--------------------------------
Samsung ML-2151N
Canon i950
Canon Pixma i8500

Vista Drivers Not Available
--------------------------------------
Dell 3100CN Color Laser (Feb 2007 indicated on web site)
Dymo LaserWriter Duo (1st Quarter 2007 indicated on web site)

Good job Samsung and Canon. Not so much Dell and Dymo, but at least the Dell is close.

My LabelWriter Duo is indespensible to me. That's the one that bothers me the most.

This is exactly why Microsoft has Developer Programs. So products can be READY at launch. It's not like they didn't have years of warning on this.

BTW... particular hats-off to Canon. The i950 is an old (but wonderful) inkjet printer that hasn't been sold in 3 or 4 years, yet they went through the trouble of providing a Vista Update. Maybe it was just really easy, or maybe they care just a little more. Not sure which.

Brother is the bomb. Their printers rock.

I have a $59 all in one MFC-240C that has saved me sooooo much money and have had 0 problems. Point and click install even under fedora!!!

try useing XP drivers :rolleyes: my PSC 1410 works. and my hp laptop that didnt have vista drivers for a few things, i just downloaded XP drivers. and it works. give it a try ;)

Brother is the bomb. Their printers rock.

I have a $59 all in one MFC-240C that has saved me sooooo much money and have had 0 problems. Point and click install even under fedora!!!

They are fine until you get into Postscript use or using them with Terminal Services. In which case everything but HP and Xerox Phaser models suck ass.

I Don't use postscript or terminal servrices. it's much better than I expected for a $59 after MIR printer (Only $99 before)

I own a very expensive HP network printer, 7410 AIO, and no driver is available for vista yet...

GREAT:mad:

I Don't use postscript or terminal servrices. it's much better than I expected for a $59 after MIR printer (Only $99 before)

My only issues with printers this cheap is that the ink costs damn near as much as the printer.

Makes me want to use the printer until it runs out of ink then trash it only to by another.

My only issues with printers this cheap is that the ink costs damn near as much as the printer.
I got my Brother MFC-420CN for $75AR at Staples. Ink costs me around $2/cartidge on Amazon shipped if I buy 3 of each color ($16 for 12 + $6 shipping). :p

Back