Antec NEO HE Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
_Korruption_ said:
Sounds like the right combo, Warrior.
so your saying: i can order one of the 550s from newegg right now (it should be a new A3), and it will wok with my board (already have new BIOS on) like it should all along?

cause i dont want any more issues.. i just got out of a 6800 + NF3 problem... and i really dont want to get back into problem land...

Thanks for the information AntecRep. Looks like both comapnies worked together well to find a solution. :)

Warrior - From what I read, as long as you have version 1.02 of the ASUS board and a version A3 power supply you should be fine. Do you have a 1.02 board?

Hello all.. I just bought an Antec p-180 case from pagecomputers.com. Got it for 84.74 plus shipping of $24 and some change.. This is the best deal on the internet for this case I've found by far. How can anyone afford not to buy one at that price??

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.pagecomputers.com/store/search.asp
Then type in p180 for the search criteria..

Anyway, I understand that you need to get a power supply with long cables so it will reach the top of the motherboard. Which power supplies do you recommend? I am leaning heavily against the Neo HE series considering this discussion. :( I find the way Antec has treated their customers by not simply refunding their cash after several months is not behavior I'm going to reward. I'm also leaning toward an ASUS SLI-Premium motherboard so I dont want to take any chances.

I hear the Enermax Liberty series is a good pick, but from what I've read all the cables contain extra connectors that make wiring messy.

I'd like to get the an 80% efficient PSU with modular cables if possible and at least 500W. However, I'll overlook the modular option as long as the cables are long enough to reach all areas appropriately.

Any input is appreciated - thanks very much

Yes, the Liberty is a nice unit, but it does have extra connectors which also makes the cabling thicker. One thing nice about the NeoHe's are the cables are fairly thin so it's a bit easier to route in the P180. I've got the same setup. The cables on the NeoHe's are a bit stiff though. Anyway, I'm happy I got the NeoHe 550 that works. I needed more power and it's very quite and efficent.

Well, the Antec Neo HE550 I returned was replaced with a brand new unit in the retail box very quickly by Antec. I did not have any further problems with the replacement unit. In fact, I got to keep the extra cables from the original power supply :D

I still wonder however if the original unit fried the motherboard or the other way around :confused:

Hi all.

AntecRep:

I just purchased a Neo 550 and it doesn't seem to work with my ASRock K7S8XE motherboard. The CPU fan will spin for a second and the unit shutsdown. Do the ASRock mobo's have the same issue as with the ASUS? Might it have to do with the lack of a -5V supply on the Antec? Is so, is there any way to jump the PSU or mobo to get this to work? Thanks in advance.

spicatc50 said:
Hi all.

AntecRep:

I just purchased a Neo 550 and it doesn't seem to work with my ASRock K7S8XE motherboard. The CPU fan will spin for a second and the unit shutsdown. Do the ASRock mobo's have the same issue as with the ASUS? Might it have to do with the lack of a -5V supply on the Antec? Is so, is there any way to jump the PSU or mobo to get this to work? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like the Asrock C.O.P. may be shutting down your Asrock board... may not be related to power supply. Another thing that just kills the Asrock board is IRQ conflicts, [font=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]are you running Creative SB Live Value card? if you are, pull it...
[/font]

MD: The mobo works with my original PSU otherwise I wouldn't be typing this. ;}

What is COP? Overvoltage protection?

No, no SB card. Besides, I'm using ACPI which provides 24 IRQs. As a test, maybe I'll try pulling the -5V pin from my present PSU's 20-pin molex and insert it in the Antec's 20-pin molex (the -5V connector is unused on the Antec.), and power up both PSU's.

I wish Antec would warn you in their literature about the -5V. They make it sound like it will work in any system. Does anyone know which Antec supplies a -5V source?

Thanks for your reply.

spicatc50 said:
No, no SB card. Besides, I'm using ACPI which provides 24 IRQs. As a test, maybe I'll try pulling the -5V pin from my present PSU's 20-pin molex and insert it in the Antec's 20-pin molex (the -5V connector is unused on the Antec.), and power up both PSU's.

I wish Antec would warn you in their literature about the -5V. They make it sound like it will work in any system. Does anyone know which Antec supplies a -5V source?

Thanks for your reply.

The ATX12v2.0 spec eliminates the -5v. It is not Antec's fault this was eliminated from the spec and their product is clearly labeled as being ATX12v2.0 compliant. Any PSU of ATX revision previous to ATX12v2.0 will have a -5v.

Pulling the -5v pin won't get you anywhere as the -5v circuitry is not present in the PSU......and there is no wire run to where the -5v pin would be.

This issue simply is not Antec's fault.

Nor should it be a concern.

I'm not familiar with any Asrock board that requires -5V. Care to enlighten us why this is such a concern for you?

when you say " spins up for a second".. do you actually mean a second?... or like actually 5 secs ( enough for a post?).. or a flash?..

Spectre: You're right, I shouldn't have questioned Antec's literature as now I think it might just be a DOA PSU. After reading up on it, I found that the -5V supply of legacy PSU's apparently was relegated exclusively to ISA card operation so I no longer think it's an issue in my case. MD is probably correct that the U-COP is sensing a fault and forcing a shutdown.

Warrior: No time to get to a post test as the CPU fan spins and the unit shuts down, all probably in less than a second. I tried this with a fully loaded mobo and tried it with just a video card. Same symptom.

Thank you all for your input. I'll RMA the unit back to EWIZ and request a replacement. I'll let you know how it turns out. In the meantime, I might check into some N-Vidia based Socket A7 mobo's. Any recommendations before A7 becomes a dinosaur?

does this issue affect A8N32-SLI mobo users as well?...because there is no Revision 1.02 for this board...is the Antec NeoHE 550/A8N32-SLI combo OK?

Has anyone been able to run a neoHE revA3 with a Asus A8N-Sli Premium rev. 1.02 successfully?

Hi Guys,

I've recently purchased an antec neohe 550w A3 rev. combo with an asus a8n premium rev 1.02
Unfortunately this shutdown issue still occuring..Seemed that the voltages for vcore, +3.3v, +5v and +12v were fluctuating constantly from pc probe 2). Whenever there was alot of load on my box, it would experience the random shutdown. Either through playing games or prime tests.

Since then ive taken it back for a refund and am using a no name 400W that came with the case. I am yet to experience any issues and voltages dont even fluctuate as much as they did with the neo. Maybe it was a faulty p/s... or this issue still occuring...

DeepGrey---
As I posted in the original thread last fall, I've got the NeoHe 550 that must be the original model and it has run every day all day since last October with an Asus A8N SLI premium with nary a blip. I guess this may not necessarily be a direct answer to your querry, but I thought I'd send it in anyway, just for the info value.

Edit: The A8N SLI premium is a rev. 1.02.

Okay, I read about this after I had already put my order in. I have an A8N-SLI Premium rev 1.02. And I bought the NEO HE 550. DUHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I opened the Antec and it doesn't have an A3 on it. (and here we are in late April, still on the shelf Huh?) Should I continue putting my computer together and see if it works or just go ahead and send it for another one.

Thermaltake Shark Case
Antec PowerSupply
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 4400+ X2
2 Gigs of OCZ Platinum
ATI 1800XT
WD 150 GB Raptor
Benq LightScribe Drive

I can't wait to get this up and going but I want my computer to stay up
Thanks Antec ;)

Karama said:
Okay, I read about this after I had already put my order in. I have an A8N-SLI Premium rev 1.02. And I bought the NEO HE 550. DUHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I opened the Antec and it doesn't have an A3 on it. (and here we are in late April, still on the shelf Huh?) Should I continue putting my computer together and see if it works or just go ahead and send it for another one.

Where did you get the power supply? Can anyone confirm an online vendor that is shipping the new P150 cases with the fixed power supply?

Robert

Mine wasn't bought online, but BB still has the older version, though it works ok in my system. They may have the newer ones by now, but I was a bit suprised. Maybe they didn't participate in the replacements for some reason.

For what it is worth - bought my Antec Neo HE 550 at Best Buy yesterday - it was an A3 variety - to replace an Antec SL400 - only because i hope to get a Gainward 7800 GS 512 plus (really a 7900GT on an AGP base) and it has a PCI-E connector..

I currently have a A7N8X deluxe board - and, execpt that i cannot track the PSU fan speed - my board would need a 3 pin connector - everything is AOK.....

i plan to use this powersupply when i upgrade to the A8N32-SLI

has anyone reported any problems with the A8N32-SLI??...

i plan to go to an SLI set-up :)

UPDATE:

I finally received a replacement PSU. It's a rev 3.1A ( and the warranty tag, which is a more robust plastic, wasn't cracked this time), and it performs just fine. In fact, the voltage readings in the bios are spot on which is a first in my experience. Usually all the measured voltages are at least a few millivolts off + or -. That's pretty impressive if you think about it.

Now I can plan how I want to upgrade my system around it. Would it be smart to go BTX when I buy a new case?

I have a question (hopefully AntecRep is still watching this thread)

I got a 550w NeoHE yesterday that has serial# S0602****
But the revision (to the left or barcode) is A2.2

So will my PSU have the Asus fix or not?
I pick up the A8N SLI Premium board tonight and I have been assured it is 1.02

Well, bought a HE 550 at Best Buy, old rev, no letters at all left of SN. Returned it, bought one at NewEgg, old rev, no letters next to SN. This is pathetic, if Antec was shipping the new rev back in December, they need to get on their retailers to switch them out, they are giving Antec a horrible rep.

yeah, i bought the 500 from BB a while back. needless to say... it sucks.

Asembled my system on the weekend and while I haven't stress tested it yet, it seems OK.
Certainly hasn't done anything weird at all.

I'd still like to know if Rev 2.2 has the fix, or not.

I had a Antec 500W NeoHE that was not a fixed version, so I did a little swap at Best Buy for the 550W version lol. The one I have now has the A3 near the serial number. I have the A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard now and my +12v rating is like 11.71-11.78 which seems a bit low to me. I know on my abit board the 500W ran it extrememy close to 12.00. Any ideas why it is so low?

Thank you,
Jared

_Korruption_ said:
Software/BIOS voltage readings are known to be inaccurate. Don't sweat it.

Yeah true enough, but with Asus/Antec NeoHE issues...it is hard to let it go haha.

Thanks,
Jared

bogus69 said:
Asembled my system on the weekend and while I haven't stress tested it yet, it seems OK.
Certainly hasn't done anything weird at all.

I'd still like to know if Rev 2.2 has the fix, or not.

Thought I replied to your PM on Friday. Anyway it does include the fix.

Anyone have any idea on how long it will take to get an RMA number after faxing in my form, and then how long it will take to get the replacement PS after Antec receives the old one?

There still seems to be some lingering questions or doubts about Antec’s NeoHE line of power supplies. Let us be clear:

Antec’s NeoHE are the quietest, most stable and most reliable line of power supplies that Antec has ever released. They have also received more positive reviews and awards in their first six months of release than even our classic TruePower series , so it’s not just us saying it. http://www.antec.com/NeoHEawards.html

Have there been some problems? Yes. But the problems are extremely limited in scope. The power of the Internet has certainly left a different impression with many but happy customers generally don’t post their problems in chat rooms and forums. Here are the facts: As of May 1, we have sold nearly 70,000 NeoHE power supplies (either individually or installed in our P150 case). We have replaced free of charge some 1200 units due to the incompatibility with some versions of Asus A8N or P5 family. While we are sorry that some people had problems—both Antec and Asus have worked together behind the scenes, made minor changes to both company’s products and resolved this issue—the fact is that thousands of users have used this combination and not experienced any problems.

Even many of the NeoHe reviewers were using this supposedly suspect combination and completely unaware that there was a “problem” because they didn’t have one. That is also the reason that our pre-release testing of this power supply and motherboard combination did not reveal any issues. Virtually 100% of the incompatible PSU’s would have worked fine with another motherboard. Actual out of box failures of NeoHE are almost non-existent and certainly happening at much lower rates than we have ever experienced with either our TruePower or SmartPower lines.

Lastly, there is the issue that some users are experiencing using any number of brands of higher efficiency power supplies, such as NeoHE, and reported in detail on silentpcreveiew.com (http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=30289). Again, good news; since Antec was one of the first companies to develop and sell higher efficiency designs such as NeoHE, we were among the first to discover and solve this potential issue. You can buy NeoHE with confidence.

Antec is the world leader in power supply design, innovation and sales. Over the past few years we have sold millions of power supplies around the world. That means we have millions of happy customers. It also, unfortunately but inevitably, means that some of our customers will experience problems, maybe even more people than have problems with other brands, simply because we sell so many more power supplies than the other guys. That’s why we introduced our industry leading AQ3 Warranty (http://www.antec.com/us/warranty.php?value=en&Submit=Submit) back in 2000. So customers can buy in confidence and know that if they do experience a problem, we stand behind our products and guarantee their satisfaction.

If you have any questions about Antec power supplies please send us an email at [email protected] .

AntecRep said:
Thought I replied to your PM on Friday. Anyway it does include the fix.

Indeed you did. (As I have just noticed now :S)
Sorry, I didn't notice the PM sitting there and I didn't have email notification of it arriving (Prolly some option somewhere. LOL)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. :)

AntecRep said:
Have there been some problems? Yes. But the problems are extremely limited in scope.

Perhaps, but the fact remains that a customer such as myself can walk into a retailer, like Best Buy ,at this late date, and purchase a power supply that doesn't function properly. I can then return said supply, order from an online retailer like NewEgg, and receive another of the unmodified units. Antec needs to have made a greater effort to get the modified units out into the market.

Last week after a month of stable use after initial build, the computer shut down unexpectedly. I powered it on and it stayed working over the next day or so, then shut down again. It will no longer power up completely. Turning it on just lights up the LEDs, drive lights and fans whir for a second after hitting the power button, then all turns off.

Initially, after research, I thought this was related to the incompatibility issue with Antec Neo PSUs and Asus boards, so I RMAed the PSU to Asus and received a "Rev 3.1" to replace my "Rev 3" NeoHE 550 (funny, Antec support told me to expect a "Rev 4). After install, same thing. In fact, I bought an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W today and same thing. I updated the BIOS to the latest from Asus during initial build as well.

Could my motherboard have been damaged by the original PSU? Help!!!

I have:
Asus A8N SLI Premium board
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) Platinum RAM
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Processor w/ stock CPU fan
Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 PSU
XFX Geforce 6800 XTreme video card
Western Digital Raptor 74GB x2 (RAID 0)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB
XG Quantum Case

Not to keep this thread alive, but FWIW....

....I've found that this PSU doesn't like certain surge protectors. Or vice-versa. The PC would not power up with a Trip-Lite or Panamax but will power up connected to some other generic no-name surge protectors. When the PC does power up, I noticed that my desk lamp literally goes black for a micro-second and it's plugged directly into a wall outlet (on the same circuit, of course). That's one helluva turn-on draw. Since then, I've decided to plug the PSU directly into a wall outlet.

Im having issues with my he550 and a8n-sli deluxe. I keep getting errors in 3dmark cpu tests and boot up issues. In 3dmark cpu tests, my screen colors go mad (with nothing overlocked). I tried everything i could think of...flashing bios to 1017. I also get problems in any 3d app, crashing shortly after starting. Games like Lineage2, CSS..Ive been experiencing boot up issues. This is a new build for me and have been doing alot of rebooting, turn off to plug something in etc etc. Today i came home and plug in my system, wouldnt start...i started to think that maybe its drawing to much power..so i unlugged everything but 1 stick of ram, 1 HD and video card. It booted up...i plugged everything back in again and it booted up. However the crazy colors still happen.

I cant even overlock which is awful... My board is 1.02 and my 550 has the A3 in the barcode.

Highlife said:
Im having issues with my he550 and a8n-sli deluxe. I keep getting errors in 3dmark cpu tests and boot up issues. In 3dmark cpu tests, my screen colors go mad (with nothing overlocked). I tried everything i could think of...flashing bios to 1017. I also get problems in any 3d app, crashing shortly after starting. Games like Lineage2, CSS..Ive been experiencing boot up issues. This is a new build for me and have been doing alot of rebooting, turn off to plug something in etc etc. Today i came home and plug in my system, wouldnt start...i started to think that maybe its drawing to much power..so i unlugged everything but 1 stick of ram, 1 HD and video card. It booted up...i plugged everything back in again and it booted up. However the crazy colors still happen.

I cant even overlock which is awful... My board is 1.02 and my 550 has the A3 in the barcode.

May want to try another video card. It seems like it is the video card, but then again the system should always at least turn on even if you don't see anything on the screen.

Jared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back