Antec NEO HE Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
MaStA819 said:
May want to try another video card. It seems like it is the video card, but then again the system should always at least turn on even if you don't see anything on the screen.

Jared

It will boot up, it just wont post....it will just stay on spinner with no video on screen.

I cant tell now if its the board, my PSU or my video card.

its probrably not the PSU...

try anouther video card.... and if that dosnt work its the board...most likly its the video card

Just to update....i have a A3.1 version of the Ne550 and the 1.02v of the A8N-SLI. Problems got better with a few adjustments but it just never passed a CPU test.

I got a BFG 650w in the mail today and plugged everything in. Everything now runs fine, can even overclock like a champ. However, im still getting a A8N32-SLI in the mail this week. So hopefully my NE550 will work with that...if not its going back and im going to use the BFG 650. Only thing, i dont belive the BFG has active PFC...anyone confirm this?

AntecRep said:
Customers who encounter this issue must take the following steps:
1. Contact Antec Customer Support by email at [email protected] or [email protected] to report this issue, the sooner the better. Include the model and unit serial number in the report.
2. Antec Customer Support will respond with an email listing that specific power supply by serial number and confirming that, barring other external or internal signs of tampering, Antec will honor the warranty for that reported unit.
3. It is the responsibility of the customer to keep the email from Antec Customer Support. Should an RMA ever be required, the customer will need to produce said email along with other warranty paperwork such as the purchase receipt, RMA form, etc. This is an additional special circumstances requirement for these cases, and no exceptions will be made.

I tried the email -- no response. So I went onto the support site and submitted an online request. Here's the response I got:

Please be advised that a comment has been added to your trouble ticket:
-------------------------------------------------------
Trouble Ticket ID: 51066
Description: NeoHE 550 & Asus A8N-SLI
Comment By: John Bowen
Comment: that ps will not work you will need to either take it back or buy 1 from the antec store as we only sell the revisions that dont conflict with the asus mb

To reply to this comment directly, please click on the link below:

http://www.exdesk.com/Antec/USA,Canada/index.cfm?addcomment=yes

Regards,
[email protected]

The store I bought it from won't take it back. So what, I'm out $120 because of an Antec problem? Who's going to want a power supply that is faulty? I tried adding a comment, but they closed the ticket already... this is not good. :mad:

EclipseGSX said:
The store I bought it from won't take it back. So what, I'm out $120 because of an Antec problem? Who's going to want a power supply that is faulty?
Someone who knows how to add load resistors inside the PSU to solve the problem? ;)

It could be time to file complaints at www.bbb.org (one against Antec, another against the merchant) or do a credit card chargeback.

The best sources of information about credit card problems are books by attorney Howard Strong. Each credit card bill has a summary of your legal rights, but it can be misleading. Basically, he says you should complain in writing and mail it to the special address reserved for billing problems. Call the problem a"billing error", say that you don't "accept" the product, and mention how you've tried to "work in good faith" with the merchant. The card company is obligated under the Fair Credit Billing Act to be your collection agent, and if you deserve a refund they're responsible for getting it for you, even if they can't collect from the merchant, something that they don't like to admit. Also the burden of proof is on the card company, not you, you don't necessarily need to file your complaint within 60 days, and credit card companies usually misinform customers about their chargeback rights.

If you have any old PSUs that work with your mobo, especially cheapos, you may want to keep them as proof that something is wrong with the NeoHE.

well I just got my Antec P150 and a NeoHE 430Watt, and with my A8N-SLI I've had no problems. The case was made on November 23, 2005, but I have no idea what rev. it is.

EclipseGSX said:
I tried the email -- no response. So I went onto the support site and submitted an online request. Here's the response I got:

The store I bought it from won't take it back. So what, I'm out $120 because of an Antec problem? Who's going to want a power supply that is faulty? I tried adding a comment, but they closed the ticket already... this is not good. :mad:

Did you contact the AntecRep here on the site?

Thanks for the info, larrymoencurly. I'll look into my credit card to see if I can refund it that way. The big thing with the merchant is that they allow for returns/exchanges within the first 30 days, after which they require you go to the manufacturer of the item (in this case, Antec).

Spectre -- would you recommend I go directly to that person? He seems understanding of the situation... or at least more so than the person I dealt with when I went through the online support at Antec. I just want a power supply that won't hose my new system. It sucks that places still hand out those old revisions.

EclipseGSX said:
Spectre -- would you recommend I go directly to that person? He seems understanding of the situation... or at least more so than the person I dealt with when I went through the online support at Antec. I just want a power supply that won't hose my new system. It sucks that places still hand out those old revisions.

It won't hurt to try. Be polite and see what he can do.

Cool, thank you. I've sent him a p/m and will see how that goes. The last piece of my new PC (Opteron 170) should be here on Thursday, so all that will be left is the power supply!

-Eclipse

I got impatient and took the advice of someone else in this thread -- headed down to my local Best Buy, paid an arm and a leg for a new NeoHE 550 (rev. A4!), and then returned my old one and got my money back.

Howdy Folks.

I just purchased an HP a1540n from Hewlett Packard, and I wanted to basically gut and upgrade it right away. Yep, after 14 years of putting my own PC's together, I got lazy...now I'm paying for it it seems....

The mobo in the system is an "A8M2N-LA (NodusM)" produced by Asus (a 'stripped down' M2NPV-VM/MX, it looks like. I the mobo has an NVidia 430 SB chip, at least).

I removed the BesTec 300w PS

I picked up an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500..No boot. The light in the ethernet port comes on in the back, but that's it.

I picked up an Antec NeoHE 550...Same result.

I put the original PS back in, booted fine. But 300w? I don't want explosions with my EVGA 7900GT KO except on the screen :p

I checked the HP site for an BIOS update, but nothing yet (the production date for the system indicated May of '06).

I suppose I could rip out the Enermax 460w PS from my other system to try, but it doesn't really have any SATA or PCI-E power connectors (I'm using a converter for the SATA/150 drive I have on that machine), and I wanted to leave that system intact for the bedroom's HTPC.

Do I need to wait for some sort of BIOS update from HP/ASUS, or should i just sadly 'let go' of my affection for Antec PS's...at least for this machine? :(

I just purchased a NeoHE 550 from CompUSA this morning. How can I tell what version it is and if it is the latest version or an older model?

I've installed 4 Neo HE 500/550 units in ASUS A8N-SLI boards now ... with varying results.
Both LIVE current boards are 1.02 A8N-SLI Deluxe.
Neo HE 500 v3.1 is on a board with 1 cheap grafx card, 4 Gigs ram, Athlon XP x2 4800+, 5 SATA 320GB HDDs, 2 DVD burners, and one PCI Slot with a USB 2.0 card in it.

VCore is jumping all over the place, both BIOS monitoring and ASUS Update are reporting spikes all over the place ...

I saw somewhere that someone mentioned putting power to the SLI Molex slot ... does that at all help?

I'm "supposedly" running the latest MoBo & PSU ... what gives?

i have a antec neo he 500w,and asus a8n sli premium,work good toogheder,its a good psu
i bought in june this year.i dont have problems with this psu.antec is the best and work quiet.

drosoph said:
VCore is jumping all over the place, both BIOS monitoring and ASUS Update are reporting spikes all over the place ...

What are you using to monitor this? Software monitoring is horribly unreliable.

I have had my neo he 550 going on about 3 months with no problems. I do have a problem with it though wich is unrelated, When i upgraded to this PSU my ambient temps jumped by almost 10 degrees. This thing runs hot without a second fan in it.

pfunkman said:

I have had my neo he 550 going on about 3 months with no problems. I do have a problem with it though wich is unrelated, When i upgraded to this PSU my ambient temps jumped by almost 10 degrees. This thing runs hot without a second fan in it.
As I stated in the previous post, the BIOS has a HW Monitoring function, and I also use ASUS Probe (v 1) to monitor. I can, with a doubt, say that the system locks when the probe report a spike or drop in VCore ... once is a coincidence ... 20 times isnt.

drosoph said:
As I stated in the previous post, the BIOS has a HW Monitoring function, and I also use ASUS Probe (v 1) to monitor. I can, with a doubt, say that the system locks when the probe report a spike or drop in VCore ... once is a coincidence ... 20 times isnt.

Have you tried a different PSU? Inspected the mobo for bad caps?

Spectre said:
Have you tried a different PSU? Inspected the mobo for bad caps?
Yes, I have used different PSU's. I'm just trying to add my information here. I'm a long-time Antec fan ... I've very familiar with their RMA process, I build PCs as a business. I use solely Antec PSUs, and every time I come across the Antec/Asus Combo, I cross my fingers ... 3 RMAs now and 2 PSU replacements with different brands ... about 5 good combos (when I built them, dont know how they are doing today).

I just want ANTEC to be more aware of the scope of this problem and it's affect on their customer base. I have had customers return machines, I replace the PSU, and end up with the same issue, and they decide to go with a diff manufacturer. It not only makes ME look bad as a reseller, but also ANTEC as a company.

Last time I bought they PSUs in bulk (which I will never do again, as they revise too often), I had to return 60% of the units for replacement, which they were glad to do, but it was a lot of pain/time involved.

drosoph said:

So does every other Bios out there. Does not change the fact that they are horribly unreliable. It does not matter what program you use they all read thier info from the same place. DO NOT TRUST BUILT IN MONITORS. Im not saying your problem isnt real im saying what your using to monitor your voltages is not correct.

If you are having lock up problems i would say RMA the PSU and check it out. However i would definately check your setup out with another PSU to be sure first.

pfunkman said:

I just put a NeoHE 550 in my machine and also experienced some temperature rise. However, I don't think it's that the PSU runs hot. In my case, I have a modded Antec P160 case (added a 120mm top blowhole) and replaced an Enermax Noisetaker 470w. The Enermax had two fans, and I think its 92mm interior fan was sucking some hot air away from the CPU area of the mainboard, providing additional cooling for my Athlon 64 X2 3800+.

My case ambient temperatures haven't gone up a whole lot, but my CPU temps are definitely up. Right now I'm looking into upgrading the rear 120mm fan to a model with a bit more airflow. As for the PSU, it's working fine with my MSI K8N Neo-4 Platinum board. I'll be using another one shortly for building a relatives system based on an Intel BadAxe board; I'll report on that one once the build is done if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back