Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see him answering. I am going to guess this is going to be a 'lets pretend this never happened.'

He thought he had an accurate source within Newegg and didn't double check elsewhere, he trusted his source. Turned out to be wrong. These sorts of things are grey area between journalistic freedom/initiative versus the kind of things that bring on libel suits. Most other sites play it safe and don't name the vendor until things have cleared up more.

D&H has every right to be upset. They were falsely named as the distributor of the counterfeit CPUs.

I was going to write a long post about this but I will summarise,"was simply reporting the information that we believed to be accurate" is irrelavant, be thankful D&H is'nt persuing this further. I love Hardocp, but that was not the best thing to post about. Also it was speculation, if it cannot be proven.

As I see it, Newegg is the main point. I think any of us on this forum will be dealing with Newegg, the retailer, and not their suppliers or distributors they buy from. Next, this situation, on the face of it, is pretty near ridiculous, that these "mock ups" got, so far, as being delivered to customers, as a Genuine Intel CPU from Newegg, which customers, like you and me, were charged for. .

you need realize that newegg, like any other retailer, get a pallet of stuff, the pallet gets scanned, it sits there until the product needs to be replenished, and then it taken off a shelf and slapped in a box.

the only time that single product is touched is to move it from the shelf to the box. I suspect it is never scanned as there is a product place in the shelving with a bar code.

You can't expect them to rattle the box around and decide if it is fake or not, the worked just grab, scan, box, grab, scan, box.....

Newegg was very quick to start getting correct products out to those who got fake ones, so they did the correct thing. After that what else do they need to say?They said they got fake parts from the supplier and we are not using said supplier anymore.

Wow, got a real kick out of reading that "cease and desist" by D&H, hey we all know they can do a fucking thing, freedom of speech and the fact there is concrete evidence to back up fact rather then what they claim to be allegations, they would be laughed out of any claims court for pulling a stunt like this if they decided to push the issue....they cannot prove slander, all they can prove is that they fucked up.....THEY are responsible for making themselves look bad, THEY failed to insure they were sending Egg a legitimate product, wtf was Egg supposed to do open each and every product to insure authenticity.
They need to worry about the fact that this even happened and concentrate on that from happening again.....thank for not being a pussy and backing down Kyle/[H]!

Wow, got a real kick out of reading that "cease and desist" by D&H, hey we all know they can do a fucking thing, freedom of speech and the fact there is concrete evidence to back up fact rather then what they claim to be allegations, they would be laughed out of any claims court for pulling a stunt like this if they decided to push the issue....they cannot prove slander, all they can prove is that they fucked up.....THEY are responsible for making themselves look bad, THEY failed to insure they were sending Egg a legitimate product, wtf was Egg supposed to do open each and every product to insure authenticity.
They need to worry about the fact that this even happened and concentrate on that from happening again.....thank for not being a pussy and backing down Kyle/[H]!

It looks like you don't realize that D&H was falsely accused? This whole debacle makes me giggle. [H] has built their reputation on being dickheads for the sake of publicity I mean trying to save users some hard earned cash while holding companies accountable. It finally bit them in the ass.

Obviously you didn't read all the post in this thread.

This was going to happen sooner or later. Just so happened it was Egg, and [H]. Counterfeit CPUs and RAM have been around for a decade or more. Just build a bridge and move on. Supplier IPEX (www.ipexinfo.com) is closed out and cashed in. Egg has almost certainly lost $60k+ and have a damaged reputation. I kinda feel sorry for them. At least they made it right by giving the people real CPUs.

What really chaps my hide is WHERE IS THE FBI They can investigate people for political reasons but when the public interest is at stake, they disappear.

I guess Newegg didn't donate enough to Obama.

He thought he had an accurate source within Newegg and didn't double check elsewhere, he trusted his source. Turned out to be wrong. These sorts of things are grey area between journalistic freedom/initiative versus the kind of things that bring on libel suits. Most other sites play it safe and don't name the vendor until things have cleared up more.

LOL.

Journalistic freedom/initiative allows you do not verify sources/get confirmation? LOL.

kinda funny he posted before he had all his facts straight. I'm talking about Tobasco.

uMMM Yeah I did not feel like reading 400+ posts....maybe you have the luxury of having that much time but I do not.

What about the 3 small 'news' articles that clearly would have informed you of what has happened?

Would have been nice if he attempted, at the very least, to read the updates from the main page....

Sure would have,jumping to conclusions is what started this mess in the first place..But I should have worded it better for sure:)

uMMM Yeah I did not feel like reading 400+ posts....maybe you have the luxury of having that much time but I do not.

If you don't have time to read all the posts like the rest of us, then how do you have time to comment?

Looks to me like some had way too much time on their hands and made a mountain out of a molehill.

I read the first thread when it all started on all the computer forums and the Egg took care of it immediately.

After that the people that can't read, men going menopause, and other NewEgg haters crawling out of the woodwork took over.

Unbelieveable.

LOL.

Journalistic freedom/initiative allows you do not verify sources/get confirmation? LOL.

Yep! it allows you to do so. Then you get slapped with libel/defamation suits for not vetting your sources afterward if you turn out to be wrong.

Now the question is...where is IPEX getting their CPUs and are they knowingly in on this scheme?

My best guess is someone in China that they can do little about.

But like I said... someone at Ipex had their head up their ass to assume they could get gray market RETAIL CPU's.

Will Intel do something about Ipex selling gray market? Of course not. There's nothing "illegal" about gray market. Like I said in my other post, "gray market" is just the resale of someone else's overages. The CPU's are (typically) legit. But Intel, AMD, etc. typically won't support them (with warranty, etc.) The bad part about gray market is that you're not buying from authorized channels, so things like Chinese factories cranking out fake processors is entirely possible.

What will Intel do?

Well, certainly they're going to get as much information from Ipex as possible about where the fake CPU's came from. They're probably going to audit Newegg and make sure that the number of CPU's they've sold + have in inventory is not greater than what was reported to them from the authorized distributors (ASI, D&H, Ingram, Tech Data, etc.) in order to get back end rebates, MDF, etc.

If Newegg had a single shipment that contained 300 counterfeits, I can imagine there being thousands and thousands worldwide.

Somewhere in China there are some poor guys in a sweat shop getting paid almost nothing at all to make fake CPU slugs, stick green (simulated PCB) stickers on them, put a staple through a blank notebook, and gluing fake pictures onto plastifoam fake HSFs wondering what the heck they are making!

Well, despite what HardOCP's front page headline says -- "Counterfeit Intel CPU Saga Comes to a Close" -- this case is anything but over, because the plot just thickened.

IPEX is now denying that it was the original source of the chips received by NewEgg. This comes after NewEgg fingered them as the culprit.

Now this makes things VERY INTERESTING. When D&H was implicated in this phony chip scandal, the company immediately drafted a C&S letter and attempted to clear its name. IPEX on the other hand has waited almost two days since NewEgg named them as the source of the bad chips,

To make matters more interesting, ASI Corp. says it does NOT own IPEX or have any affiliation with the company.

And to further muddy the waters, Intel said it is NOT PURSUING LEGAL ACTION against NewEgg or any other company at this time and is letting NewEgg handle the investigation as part of an internal company matter, I find this to be incredibly odd. I know that in the long run, 300 phony chips (not counterfeit, but completely phony) are not THAT big of a deal, but it seems like everyone just wants to sweep this thing under the rug.

Again, I know Kyle considers the saga closed, but I think Kyle and HardOCP owe it to readers to continue working on this story

Last edited:
To make matters more interesting, ASI Corp. says it does NOT own IPEX or have any affiliation with the company.

Well ASI should probably stop registering Ipex's domain then:

Registrant: Make this info private
Asia Source Inc.
48289 Fremont Blvd
Fremont, CA 94538
US

Domain Name: IPEXINFO.COM

Promote your business to millions of viewers for only $1 a month!
Learn how you can get an Enhanced Business Listing here for your domain name. Learn More

Administrative Contact , Technical Contact :
Asia Source Inc.
[email protected]
48289 Fremont Blvd
Fremont, CA 94538
US
Phone: 999 999 9999
Fax: 999 999 9999

Record expires on 29-Jul-2012
Record created on 29-Jul-2004
Database last updated on 17-Jun-2009

Domain servers in listed order: Manage DNS

NS43.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.190.22
NS44.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.144.22

Show underlying registry data for this record

Current Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
IP Address: 205.209.188.141 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-TEXAS-GARLAND
Record Type: Domain Name
Server Type: IIS 6
Lock Status: clientTransferProhibited
WebSite Status: Active
DMOZ no listings
Y! Directory: see listings
Secure: No
Ecommerce: No
Traffic Ranking: Not available
Data as of: 22-Apr-2008

And Marcel Liang should probably not be president of both companies:

http://www.hoovers.com/company/ASI_Computer_Technologies_Inc/cfjrji-1.html
http://www.hoovers.com/company/Ipex_Infotech_Inc/sjrxhkryy-1.html

Otherwise people might think...that they were somehow related ;)

Let me get this straight, Kyle is the bad guy for reporting information that he got right from the horses mouth? He called newegg and they named D&H. Newegg should be the ones apologizing to D&H.

IF the white house called a press conference and gave out information they thought was correct but it wasn't....would the media be at fault for reporting it? (not like this hasn't happened a million times)

The fact is Kyle has pissed many people off over the years but not because he is a 'dick' to people. It is because he sticks up for the consumer, he is not swayed by $$ and he is not afraid to call a spade a spade which is why I continue to read the content of this site.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight, Kyle is the bad guy for reporting information that he got right from the horses mouth? He called newegg and they named D&H. Newegg should be the ones apologizing to D&H.

IF the white house called a press conference and gave out information they thought was correct but it wasn't....would the media be at fault for reporting it? (not like this hasn't happened a million times)

The fact is Kyle has pissed many people off over the years but not because he is a 'dick' to people. It is because he sticks up for the consumer. He is not swayed by $$ and he is not afraid to call a spade a spade which is why I continue to read the content of this site.

I think the problem is that Newegg never officially said D&H was where the bad processors came from. Kyle's 'source' is the one who said this.

The fact is Kyle has pissed many people off over the years but not because he is a 'dick' to people. It is because he sticks up for the consumer. He is not swayed by $$ and he is not afraid to call a spade a spade which is why I continue to read the content of this site.

No, Kyle is not a bad guy. However, at least in this case, Kyle is a bad reporter/editor/site manager because he didn't call D&H to get its side of the story after an anonymous source implicated D&H. Even if you believe that trusted source, which he apparently did, you have to call the accused party and get their take before dragging D&H's name through the mud. D&H could have cleared this matter up for Kyle before any of this shitstorm started.

But obviously that didn't happen. Kyle ran with the story before checking his source and calling D&H for their side of the story, which is Journalism 101. And if you've been following this thread at all then you know there are STILL forum members bashing D&H because they think D&H is responsible and they haven't yet read the updated version of the story and Kyle's tepid apology to D&H. And as a result, D&H's reputation has been harmed. To what degree, I can't say. But when a company's reputation is harmed by a media outlet, well, that's when libel and defamation suits get filed. And Kyle should thank his lucky F-ing starts that D&H isn't going that route -- at least not yet.

Ok let's say you're right :). So what does NewEgg do now that IPEX is denying that they were the original of the counterfeit products. I guess NewEgg is good on this but damn look at these guys. At this point it seems all parties are just seeking to sweep it under the rug and pretend it didn't happen and IPEX was left holding the bag. Which is fine I suppose. I feel bad for IPEX now. Wonder who else got shafted :).

In these economic times it could be the kiss of death for them. I know if I had a corporation I wouldn't renew a contract with them after reading all this bad press. What if they sent the counterfeits to a smaller mom and pop operation without the deep pockets of NewEgg. No way smaller companies can risk their core business for a small savings on product.

I mean why ever give them another chance?

Cageymaru

See this is the difference... you are dealing with what we call common sense... in the world of LAW, common sense often doesn't always apply to the way that YOU think it should.

NewEgg wasn't causing INTEL any distress directly at all. They were relaying information given to them by their distributor which how many times do I have to say can actually trump, Intel walking into NewEgg and just Saying that these are fake. NewEgg WOULD STILL have to report 'Demo Boxs" until INTEL walked in with some type of Cease and Desist to get NewEgg to say what Intel wanted and second to protect NewEgg from breaking said agreement with IPEX"

What you are is a classic, I think I know law because law is for the most part commone sense... let me tell you something VERY quickly.... I.P. law, and situations like this do not follow basic common sense on how things are handled. Thats why we need lawyers to deal with shit like this. I mean how many times will I have to say this. To us, its cut and dry.... but to the parties involved and the contracts between NewEgg and IPEX and who knows if IPEX had any contracts preceeding their deals... this was a complex situation that moved VERY fast....

NewEgg did all that it could.... which was 'Report as Demo Boxes as relayed by IPEX" until contract with IPEX cancelled or broken, or Intel stepping in with a Cease and Desist, allowing NewEgg to say the truth without opening NewEgg up to litigation from IPEX.

But you would never know that now would you.... Like I said I went to Yale law for a few years, but hated it.... loved Law and Order... hated Law.... I'm just relaying what my wife has been telling me about this based on what she knows about I.P. law... and if you measure success by what you own in this world, then well she probably has 99.9% of everyone on these forums beat.... I don't count myself with her cuz of the prenup... but thats a different story......

Just because it seems so cut and dry, or because the puzzle from a distance looks like its an easy one, doesn't mean that once you get up close things change or become a lot less easy.

It would have sucked to have NewEgg lose 80,000 grand in procs... plus legal fees for litigation from IPEX resulting in who knows what going in what direction after months of fact finding and such.... It could have worked in NewEgg's favor, or cost them 100x their inital loss or more...

Law isn't black and white like common sense... thats what we need lawyers.

Last edited:
Having read the three articles and then the discussion, I find it a bit odd that people are up in arms over the reporting. In fact, it seems like the sensationalism is being created by everyone but Kyle.

I understood that NewEgg has taken every measure to ensure the customer gets taken care of, and Kyle acknowledged that. The point of contention wasn't about poor service after the discovery, it was about how information was handled after that.

If there was a cases of food poisoning at McDonalds, it would be reported and if a particular product was noted, then supplier would named. This would be done in order to inform consumers and help them either avoid that product or mitigate the risk by knowing where to look. This isn't a act to smear the supplier. This is consumer protection. If it was reported that they initially believe it to be the eggs but then find it to be the ham, neither company is going is going to send out Cease and Desist letters to the reporters.

I have seen this as a public service to readers of [H]ard Forum. Furthermore, even if D&H is the wrong supplier, this misinformation could have been easily corrected had they made public efforts to resolve the issue instead of the opposite. I find Kyle's behaviour to be in line with a consumer advocate and I am thankful for his efforts to provide relevant details.

As stated before, D&H has cause to be concerned, but their actions were not those of a company concerned for the consumer, but only for themselves. I find the apology to be more than sufficient given D&H has not offered anything more than a C&D. This could have been their chance to gain publicity and show their ability to react to adversity, instead no one is impressed by their actions.

Intel is probably laying low and letting Newegg handle their own investigation into their supply chain and dealing with their own customers because that is a retail and customer service issue. Regarding the rest, they probably know if federal authorities are investigating the counterfeiting case already and this is all merely a small drop in the bucket for Intel even though it's a very interesting story for you and I.

Which is why I always buy my computer parts from small computer shops in Ottawa. Their prices might be a little bit higher than online stores but at least, you have a peace of mind that you will not wait weeks to return the product and get a refund (If ever)

Having read the three articles and then the discussion, I find it a bit odd that people are up in arms over the reporting. In fact, it seems like the sensationalism is being created by everyone but Kyle.

I understood that NewEgg has taken every measure to ensure the customer gets taken care of, and Kyle acknowledged that. The point of contention wasn't about poor service after the discovery, it was about how information was handled after that.

If there was a cases of food poisoning at McDonalds, it would be reported and if a particular product was noted, then supplier would named. This would be done in order to inform consumers and help them either avoid that product or mitigate the risk by knowing where to look. This isn't a act to smear the supplier. This is consumer protection. If it was reported that they initially believe it to be the eggs but then find it to be the ham, neither company is going is going to send out Cease and Desist letters to the reporters.

I have seen this as a public service to readers of [H]ard Forum. Furthermore, even if D&H is the wrong supplier, this misinformation could have been easily corrected had they made public efforts to resolve the issue instead of the opposite. I find Kyle's behaviour to be in line with a consumer advocate and I am thankful for his efforts to provide relevant details.

As stated before, D&H has cause to be concerned, but their actions were not those of a company concerned for the consumer, but only for themselves. I find the apology to be more than sufficient given D&H has not offered anything more than a C&D. This could have been their chance to gain publicity and show their ability to react to adversity, instead no one is impressed by their actions.

Are you serious? What should D&H have done, sir? They issued a letter immediately stating that Kyle's report was completely false -- WHICH IT WAS -- and demanded that the story be taken down. D&H also issued a statement to media members that bothered to call D&H to get the whole story -- which Kyle did not do. The statement -- which isn't found anywhere on HardOCP, reads as follows:

"Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question. D&H takes this issue very seriously, as does the entire online and IT community, and we are anxious to see it resolved to the satisfaction of everyone involved. D&H has never bought anything other than genuine Intel product, sourced directly from Intel, and were very concerned that our name was inadvertently involved. We are very proud of the integrity we've built over our 92 years, and we are glad to see that the D&H name has been vindicated."

The fact is, you're wrong -- D&H did more than just send out C&D letters. And Kyle never called D&H to get their take, so how on god's green earth can you blame D&H with a stright face? What exactly do you think D&H should have done instead? And how in the world can you claim they weren't concerned about consumers? This is a respected, family-owned distributor that's been around for nearly 100 years. They have a great reputation as a trusted source of IT products, and now their name has been tarnished by an erroneous Internet story.

And lastly -- sorry, you got me fired up, nothing personal -- how in the world can you claim that Kyle is acting as a consumer advocate here, when the last story HardOCP has on this ongoing situation is Kyle's updated article/correction/tepid apology to D&H, dated Monday? The story is STILL going on, sir. Where is Kyle now? Why isn't HardOCP trying to get to the bottom of this IPEX issue? Why aren't they holding NewEgg's feet to fire about ordering chips from an apparently sketchy source like IPEX? Why isn't D&H continuing to follow this story? Where is the supposed pro-consumer, no-BS, don't-back-down attitude now?

It's also not how the libel and defamation laws work on the balance of interests. What he brought up with the food poisoning is a public safety concern (where urgency and responsibility could be a defense) which is completely different from this corporate matter which could involve millions of dollars in lost business if a company recieves poor publicity from a media source. What if D&H was a large publically traded company and investors reading a website rushing for a scoop sees that it's implicated in a scandal (when the information came from one unverified and unvetted source) and stock value plunges and millions of investors lose their life savings? Oh wait, that happens all the time in the U.S. :p I'm guessing Kyle learns his lesson and in the future, holds back or checks his sources first like good journalists are supposed to do, unless they work for a tabloid. [H]ardOCP is getting slammed for this from all the other tech sites and forums. At least a [H]ard member was the first to discover the issue of counterfeit CPUs in the first place though.

Are you serious? What should D&H have done, sir? They issued a letter immediately stating that Kyle's report was completely false.

And lastly -- sorry, you got me fired up, nothing personal -- how in the world can you claim that Kyle is acting as a consumer advocate here, when the last story HardOCP has on this ongoing situation is Kyle's updated article/correction/tepid apology to D&H, dated Monday? The story is STILL going on, sir. Where is Kyle now? Why isn't HardOCP trying to get to the bottom of this IPEX issue? Why aren't they holding NewEgg's feet to fire about ordering chips from an apparently sketchy source like IPEX? Why isn't D&H continuing to follow this story? Where is the supposed pro-consumer, no-BS, don't-back-down attitude now?

I believe there are two different views on Kyle's actions. You say he neither allowed D&H the ability to defend itself, nor has he followed up on the issue. From my perspective, I see Kyle posting the information he has been given, each time it was given. I do not feel he has withheld responses made to [H]ardOCP by D&H.

From what I can tell, Kyle has said that he hoped his last post would be the end of it, that the situation would resolve itself. However, people have discovered more information that again muddies the waters. In both situations I don't see how it is Kyle's responsibility to search the web for other companies attempting to defend themselves against an article that originated with him. I do not think Kyle has made himself unavailable to involved parties. I also don't think his current silence has anything to do with a supplier that may or may have been wrongly identified. The information that is out there has not been provided to him and he has no way of verifying any of the information out there.

And he has posted his regret that his NewEgg contact has given him potentially inaccurate information. And I would apply the same critical eye as he has to that bit of information.

Kyle posted comments directly from Intel and NewEgg. I have a hard time believe that the only thing he would post is a C&D if he was provided with additional information to shed light on a story that he broke.

Every party did what they had to in this case.

Newegg could only claim that they were demo units because they were under agreements with IPEX and that's what IPEX told them.

Kyle recieved wrong information from his source (and reported it prematurely) and D&H was forced to file a C&D (rightly)

Newegg terminated contract with IPEX and were free to explain the situation.

Kyle apologizes to D&H.

Hopefully nobody gets sued aside from whoever is responsible for all this and we can move on and figure out the real story behind these fake CPUs.

I believe there are two different views on Kyle's actions. You say he neither allowed D&H the ability to defend itself, nor has he followed up on the issue. From my perspective, I see Kyle posting the information he has been given, each time it was given. I do not feel he has withheld responses made to [H]ardOCP by D&H.

Problem is, from a legal standpoint you can't just print everything you hear. For example, I could tell Kyle that Newegg sold me a black market kidney. If he prints it, he could get sued for libel by Newegg. This is basically what he did by saying D&H sold counterfeit processors.

Problem is, from a legal standpoint you can't just print everything you hear. For example, I could tell Kyle that Newegg sold me a black market kidney. If he prints it, he could get sued for libel by Newegg. This is basically what he did by saying D&H sold counterfeit processors.

Problem is, you're point hinging on D&H not being the supplier. That has yet to be seen. And I find his apology to be in good faith that NewEgg has not continued to shift the blame.

From what I can tell, Kyle has said that he hoped his last post would be the end of it, that the situation would resolve itself. However, people have discovered more information that again muddies the waters. In both situations I don't see how it is Kyle's responsibility to search the web for other companies attempting to defend themselves against an article that originated with him. I do not think Kyle has made himself unavailable to involved parties. I also don't think his current silence has anything to do with a supplier that may or may have been wrongly identified. The information that is out there has not been provided to him and he has no way of verifying any of the information out there.

And he has posted his regret that his NewEgg contact has given him potentially inaccurate information. And I would apply the same critical eye as he has to that bit of information.

Kyle posted comments directly from Intel and NewEgg. I have a hard time believe that the only thing he would post is a C&D if he was provided with additional information to shed light on a story that he broke.

Don't take this the wrong way, MetalSmart, because again, this isn't personal and you may be a salt of the earth kinda guy that I'd gladly share a beer with, but...

You know literally nothing about the profession of journalism. What you called searching the Web for a company defending itself, I call basic fact-checking. And fact-checking is the foundation of good reporting. You claim it's not Kyle's responsibility to look for more information, yet Kyle is the editor of this news/review site. How can you possibly say it's not his responsibility to get all the facts, or at least make every effort to do so?

And it's ridiculous for you to claim he had no way to verify the information he received -- he could have simply picked up the phone, as other reporters did, and called D&H for a comment. He did not. Thus, he received a nasty and completely justified C&D letter. He was wrong. Case closed.

But he didn't say D&H sold counterfeit CPU's. He reported that his source told him that and he printed it that way. That's a huge distinction that is being missed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back