Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: nvm, not going to reply to trolls.

Last edited:
After reading all this, I was shocked to see this happened, Now i am worried about buying computers part's online at all. i was going to spend $1,700-2,000 at newegg but i am thinking differnet now, I am going to micro center to get my core i7 920.

First Qestion. Is it safe to buy other parts beside's cpu from newegg?

2nd, Should i just buy all the parts from micro center and be done with it?

3rd. or who other other online seller's who are good service?

Thanks for answering these qestions for me

There is nothing wrong with NewEgg,the problem was dealt with swiftly and the customers got REAL CPUs.
I just ordered a new H50 and I will continue to buy from them,you will not find a better place online to do business with.

where did the post go that linked to the ebay listing where the seller "dupethismediasolutions" had these same processors (supposedly real ones) listed on ebay for $79.99 shipped free each..???

and in the Q&A section when asked why the price was so low they responded saying it was "because they have so many of them".....LOL

i want to see where that goes....it was either a guy trying to flog some more counterfeits or a really stupid individual who actually got their hands on a bunch of the hot cpu's and thought they could get away with selling them on ebay....funny how they had so many and now the listing has ended hours later....either a bunch of people got good deals or the guy is "under investigation"

doing a little digging it shows he sold only quantity of 1 for $79.99 even though the listing was good for many days yet and had "more then 10 available" when i looked hours ago.....hrmmmm

1. Selling Grey Market Processors.
2. Censoring Customer Reviews in light of scandal.

3. There is no 3. Notice I didn't even have to mention selling cheese processors.

What planet are you living on if selling Grey Market Processors isn't a foul?

Again someone who has no idea what he is talking about,lets see your PROOF of censoring customer reviews?

you can't.

ok i will buy the rest of my parts from newegg but i am going to buy the $199 core i7 920 from MC and save $70 :D

After reading all this, I was shocked to see this happened, Now i am worried about buying computers part's online at all. i was going to spend $1,700-2,000 at newegg but i am thinking differnet now, I am going to micro center to get my core i7 920.

First Qestion. Is it safe to buy other parts beside's cpu from newegg?

2nd, Should i just buy all the parts from micro center and be done with it?

3rd. or who other other online seller's who are good service?

Thanks for answering these qestions for me

When you are Micro Center, make sure that you get what you pay for. Open all the boxes of items you bought onsite with one of the sales guys right there. Make sure you are getting the real deal.

Your initial statement about inspecting every pallet as it comes into inventory was profoundly ignorant, but you say you fully understand the certified supplier process. Then you stated that everything should be inspected before it ships, another profoundly ignorant statement. The next time you want to say someone does not have a clue, you should be looking in the mirror.

I never said every pallet should be inspected, but I did say that product should be checked before it gets shipped. Why is it ignorant to state that every product should be checked before it ships? That's what I would like to see, there are way to do it. You don't have to like it, but it doesn't make it an ignorant statement.

The news that the CPU's came from Ipex rather than D&H makes a heck of a lot more sense.

I just want to clear up something Paul keeps bringing up in this thread: Ipex is a division of ASI. Ipex isn't ASI.

Full disclosure: I worked for ASI for some time back in the 90's (God, I feel old).

ASI is a legit Intel distributor (one of only a small handful) and is one of Newegg's biggest sources for Intel CPU's. Ipex, on the other hand, is the division that deals in gray market CPU's, RAM, etc. The divisions are really kept quite separate. In fact, when working for ASI, if I needed inventory from Ipex or had to return something to Ipex on an RMA, I had Ipex invoices I had to pull up and Ipex RMA forms to fill out. And if a tray CPU was mroe than 30 days old, Ipex would deny ASI the RMA, believe it or not.

Now, Ipex isn't necessarily the "evil twin" of ASI. I personally see nothing wrong with gray market IF the source is legit. A lot of times, the situation will be something like HP buying a few hundred trays of procs and then unloading a couple trays because they over bought. 99.9% of the time, the CPU's are legit, but Intel doesn't support them because Intel didn't sell them to the gray market. They sold them to a company that sold them to another company that sells them to end users.

I'm fairly certain that Ipex didn't knowingly sell fake CPU's to Newegg, but here's where you have to ask the buyer at Ipex "what the f*** were you thinking?!?" There's no such thing as gray market retail CPU's. Gray market CPU's are tray for a reason... they're bought in bulk in trays and what's on the gray market is overage. No system builder that buys CPU's in any kind of qunatity is buying retail box, so how are retail box CPU's going to end up in the gray market? Umm... they're not. So some guy calls up Ipex from China and says "do I have a deal for you?" If Ipex was the source of those CPU's, then the buyer that pulled the trigger on that deal needs to be canned.

Of course, that's assuming that Ipex was where Newegg got those CPU's from. Who knows... maybe tomorrow someone will call Kyle up and tell him that the CPU's actually came from MA Labs. *shrug*

I've heard of ASI, but never IPEX. No wonder. What a mess.

I guess that's the next question. I mean NewEgg obviously set up our editor. I wish he hadn't of fallen for that. (Kyle that was too easy, say something)

But the real question is who set up NewEgg? Those fakes aren't supposed to get out. Not here anyway. That's some serious business. Intel and the Feds don't take it lightly. Someone's going to get to the bottom of this, if they haven't already. ;)

Hey someone go count my posts. And then say "I think the troll has like 20 of the last 25 posts in this thread.

lol"

I think you meant >9000

Fellation follows.

Do you really think someone set somebody else up? For what? I can speculate on ideas and theories for something like that to happen, but what would be the premise for it? Makes no sense.

Methadras I didn't direct the following post at you, but for the guy quoted at the bottom. And in answer I think it's possible that several entities were set up. And again it could have all been mistake or coincidence. But I'll follow that in the next post after this, ok?

This is for Dave65.

Don't pretend to be so 'intellectually challenged'. Of course it's difficult to prove a negative. Prove there's not a tiny invisible spaghetti monster living in your bladder.

And of course you don't want to believe me that yesterday the posts on the customer review board at newegg for the 920 were missing from March 6, 7, and 8. Then magically appeared today. I don't have any reason to lie about that, but for whatever reason you want to doubt my veracity either from the herd-mentality, the possibility you're a newegg shill, or you're just a mistrustful individual in general. Whatever, I'm telling you what I saw, and you can believe it or not, and you can profess to believe it or not. I don't care.

But if you want to try to get me or anyone else to believe that no one who received a counterfeit, especially if they were promptly and courteously given a replacement, would have commented on the customer review, then you make me doubt either your intelligence or sincerity.

If it happened to me, I would go to customer review site right away and shower praise on NewEgg for rectifying the problem. Or if I was a hater I would hate about it.

It happened to the OP, and I found a thread on another forum by a different OP with different pictures of the same problem. So there were at least several people it happened to, and they took the time and energy to make a thread on this and the other forum, complete with pictures about their misadventure.

It is reasonable to assume that perhaps they or others posted reviews on the NewEgg site. I'm not going out on a limb here. You can try to pretend otherwise, but it seems quite likely that is what happened.

Even if they lavished praise on New Egg for their handling of the matter, for whatever reason, New Egg felt it would be better not to have those posts in the reviews section. Not whatever reason, probably good reason. They are in the center of something ugly, and they are trying to control the negative press.

Now to clarify things, and I'm sure a lot of people already know, but some don't, A totally fake piece of junk, like the Cheese-proc is not 'grey market'. There are various shades of grey market ranging from mispackaging and misrepresenting functional chips. Misgrading and changing the speed ratings. And also obtaining things through non-legit channels for whatever reasons, tax-breaks, customs, regional price differences. All these are considered grey.

You have seen the approved Intel vendor list and D&H is on it. But IPEX is not. Now dealing through IPEX and not D&H is a shade of the grey market already. They got caught because the cheese-proc was in the shipment. I would guess that normally IPEX was supplying NewEgg with fully functional Intel Processors that were discounted by bypassing either tax or tarriff. This is purely speculation on my part. There could have been another reason for the discount such as they were intended to be sold overseas by Intel at a different price.

It's easy to imagine all kinds of intrigue. It would be really funny if Intel was pissed off about it and planted the Cheese-procs in the shipment so that NewEgg would stop the grey-market activity which obviously is neither approved or desired by Intel. Intel wants merchants in the U.S. to buy through their approved channels.

Again much of this is speculation, and if you have a better scenario please do share.

But don't insult me by trying to say that you don't think anyone affected would leave no kind of feedback either positive or negative on the customer reviews.

Please.

Again someone who has no idea what he is talking about,lets see your PROOF of censoring customer reviews?

you can't.

Last edited:
Having a BA in Journalism and never having worked in the field, because a Journalism BA and $3.79 will get you a cheap cup of coffee at Starbucks. To Kyle, remember Watergate and the Washington Post Editor, demanding the Watergate reporters must get more than one source to make something printable. I would advise the same for any story or point of.
But the important thing is that the story must be made public, be it Toyota's current issues or Newegg's, because companies will not correct themselves otherwise. The duty of news media. It's pretty certain, Newegg has gone over this incident internally and, hopefully, found the cause(s) for this incident and made the corrections to keep it from happening again. Why, you ask? Because, Newegg had egg on its face, media wise from this incident, that has made customers question how well Newegg conducts its business, public embarrassment, that Newegg will probably keep in mind for some time. Until the next mess up.

Do you really think someone set somebody else up? For what? I can speculate on ideas and theories for something like that to happen, but what would be the premise for it? Makes no sense.

Well, maybe the whole thing was just a big 'accident' or 'coincidence' or that parts of it were.

Someone could have set up NewEgg and or IPEX. Anyone from a disgruntled employee to an Intel corporate agent trying to put a stop to what they perceive as non authorized activity. It could have been an agent of one of the actual 'Intel Authorized Distributors'. To cut into the non-authorized competition.

What's the alternative? And I'm not saying there isn't one. That some individual or small group of criminals developed the following plan?

1.Take time and effort to make some (At least two that I know of) fakes.
2. Place them in IPEX's stock.
3.?
4 Profit!

It's step 3 that's the problem. It would have to be someone who had access to the 'semi-legit' 'grey-market' proc channel but didn't want to just outright steal them. Perhaps someone working in the supply chain? Like even a truck driver I guess. Someone who knew they had access to the boxes, and knew they could substitute them without getting caught. But if they just stole them they would be implicated on inventory. So then they sold them on ebay for $77? LOL

Actualy, maybe that is more plausible.

Who else got set up? Well our editor just might have gotten played. New Egg is smart and big. They knew what was going on when HardOCP's editor started calling them. They read the thread. (They're still reading the thread) They 'could' have given him some misinformation and let him jump on the wrong guy and get in a little hot water. To make him back off. Simple 9th grade tactic.

Or it could have just been an 'innocent mistake' giving Kyle the wrong name. I hope Kyle can let us know what happened. Who gave him the bogus info. Need to find out if it was deliberate or 'just' a mistake.

:cool:

Methadras I didn't direct the following post at you, but for the guy quoted at the bottom. And in answer I think it's possible that several entities were set up. And again it could have all been mistake or coincidence. But I'll follow that in the next post after this, ok?

This is for Dave65.

Don't pretend to be so 'intellectually challenged'. Of course it's difficult to prove a negative. Prove there's not a tiny invisible spaghetti monster living in your bladder.

And of course you don't want to believe me that yesterday the posts on the customer review board at newegg for the 920 were missing from March 6, 7, and 8. Then magically appeared today. I don't have any reason to lie about that, but for whatever reason you want to doubt my veracity either from the herd-mentality, the possibility you're a newegg shill, or you're just a mistrustful individual in general. Whatever, I'm telling you what I saw, and you can believe it or not, and you can profess to believe it or not. I don't care.

But if you want to try to get me or anyone else to believe that no one who received a counterfeit, especially if they were promptly and courteously given a replacement, would have commented on the customer review, then you make me doubt either your intelligence or sincerity.

If it happened to me, I would go to customer review site right away and shower praise on NewEgg for rectifying the problem. Or if I was a hater I would hate about it.

It happened to the OP, and I found a thread on another forum by a different OP with different pictures of the same problem. So there were at least several people it happened to, and they took the time and energy to make a thread on this and the other forum, complete with pictures about their misadventure.

It is reasonable to assume that perhaps they or others posted reviews on the NewEgg site. I'm not going out on a limb here. You can try to pretend otherwise, but it seems quite likely that is what happened.

Even if they lavished praise on New Egg for their handling of the matter, for whatever reason, New Egg felt it would be better not to have those posts in the reviews section. Not whatever reason, probably good reason. They are in the center of something ugly, and they are trying to control the negative press.

Now to clarify things, and I'm sure a lot of people already know, but some don't, A totally fake piece of junk, like the Cheese-proc is not 'grey market'. There are various shades of grey market ranging from mispackaging and misrepresenting functional chips. Misgrading and changing the speed ratings. And also obtaining things through non-legit channels for whatever reasons, tax-breaks, customs, regional price differences. All these are considered grey.

You have seen the approved Intel vendor list and D&H is on it. But IPEX is not. Now dealing through IPEX and not D&H is a shade of the grey market already. They got caught because the cheese-proc was in the shipment. I would guess that normally IPEX was supplying NewEgg with fully functional Intel Processors that were discounted by bypassing either tax or tarriff. This is purely speculation on my part. There could have been another reason for the discount such as they were intended to be sold overseas by Intel at a different price.

It's easy to imagine all kinds of intrigue. It would be really funny if Intel was pissed off about it and planted the Cheese-procs in the shipment so that NewEgg would stop the grey-market activity which obviously is neither approved or desired by Intel. Intel wants merchants in the U.S. to buy through their approved channels.

Again much of this is speculation, and if you have a better scenario please do share.

But don't insult me by trying to say that you don't think anyone affected would leave no kind of feedback either positive or negative on the customer reviews.

Please.

I have to agree that NewEgg should be using authorized dist. not some fly by night operation..
If so I bet they learned a valuable lesson..
and im not saying nobody would not leave feedback,I know I would too,but just because there is a gap from one day to the next is not proof.

What I am going to say here is going to make more than a few people annoyed, Kyle included.

Kyle, I have watched you over many years, both as an occasional, and then a regular reader and a subscriber (7.1 years now as far as the forums track it). Please take this to heart: TAKE A GOD DAMN VACATION!

You have gone from objective journalist into a Don Quixote-esqe persona in your 'reporting' of the issue, especially how you have treated other websites in the reporting of all this. In particular, your snotty attitude towards overclockers.com after they happened to report something that they heard of first and you, *gasp* took offense to, acting as if you should have total domain over any all all information, was bordering on- sickening.

You really need to take a step back and not only evaluate, but also separate, whether other issues in your personal life are affecting and tainting your previously-objective coverage of industry issues. Your 'nyah-nyah!' attitude is unbecoming of the legacy you have set down over the past several years.

This post might just get deleted. Hell, I'll probably get my account banned for it. You know what? I don't care, because this has to be said: Take a step back and re-learn how to be a JOURNALIST instead of the mindless-mudslinger who spits on anyone who happens to get a piece of the story before you.

Take a god damned vacation already, and go back to the Kyle people USED to know.

A soon-to-probably-be-ex member speaking with complete sincerity,

Polarhound

Last edited:
Hey Kyle, don't you feel like an ass now since D&H wasn't at fault for this? Perhaps wait till you have all the facts before you make yourself and HardOCP look like nothing more then a bunch of nerd whistle blowers? Just saying....

Well, maybe the whole thing was just a big 'accident' or 'coincidence' or that parts of it were.

Someone could have set up NewEgg and or IPEX. Anyone from a disgruntled employee to an Intel corporate agent trying to put a stop to what they perceive as non authorized activity. It could have been an agent of one of the actual 'Intel Authorized Distributors'. To cut into the non-authorized competition.

What's the alternative? And I'm not saying there isn't one. That some individual or small group of criminals developed the following plan?

1.Take time and effort to make some (At least two that I know of) fakes.
2. Place them in IPEX's stock.
3.?
4 Profit!

It's step 3 that's the problem. It would have to be someone who had access to the 'semi-legit' 'grey-market' proc channel but didn't want to just outright steal them. Perhaps someone working in the supply chain? Like even a truck driver I guess. Someone who knew they had access to the boxes, and knew they could substitute them without getting caught. But if they just stole them they would be implicated on inventory. So then they sold them on ebay for $77? LOL

Actualy, maybe that is more plausible.

Who else got set up? Well our editor just might have gotten played. New Egg is smart and big. They knew what was going on when HardOCP's editor started calling them. They read the thread. (They're still reading the thread) They 'could' have given him some misinformation and let him jump on the wrong guy and get in a little hot water. To make him back off. Simple 9th grade tactic.

Or it could have just been an 'innocent mistake' giving Kyle the wrong name. I hope Kyle can let us know what happened. Who gave him the bogus info. Need to find out if it was deliberate or 'just' a mistake.

:cool:

Hey, I jumped on D&H myself because I knew when I saw that Newegg talked about 'Demo' boxes, they could only been have talking about Intel and I know that Intel doesn't do direct business with Newegg, so I thought, and erroneously so, that it was D&H. Clearly, I was wrong, but I've known that they were one of their biggest suppliers of CPU's so it had to come from there? I thought it was dumb for them to implicate Intel. I said as much and that got proved out. However, my insertion of D&H was in reference to the fact as being one of their biggest CPU 'suppliers'. I made the assumption. It was wrong. I'd never heard of IPEX up until yesterday. Then I found out that they dealt in grey market gear on top of that.

So, do this imply that IPEX as a vendor to Newegg has been selling them grey market products? I know who ASI is too, but I never knew IPEX was one of their holdings either. So what am I to assume at this point? However, do I think this is a large setup? I don't think so, but then again, I can't say. If the information came from IPEX about the 'Demo' boxes coming from them, then that leads me to think that what other gray market products are floating out there from these guys. If not Newegg, then who else?

So now that IPEX is on the hook, is Intel going to go after them? If I were Intel and saw that 'Demo' boxes came from their side of the house, I'd go after them to see who supplied them. If there was a switch from their distributor and they didn't know it, then there is an even bigger problem at hand.

Hey Kyle, don't you feel like an ass now since D&H wasn't at fault for this? Perhaps wait till you have all the facts before you make yourself and HardOCP look like nothing more then a bunch of nerd whistle blowers? Just saying....

He was quoting what he felt was a reliable source so its not like he made it up himself and really, if you are that upset with Kyle, maybe you should close your browser and stop posting here.

Nevermind I think I found it..

www.ipexinfo.com

The web site is down, but Google has a cache.. Looks like they claim to be sole suppliers of MAG monitors in the USA. And carry MS products also.

He was quoting what he felt was a reliable source so its not like he made it up himself and really, if you are that upset with Kyle, maybe you should close your browser and stop posting here.

You better be 100% sure before you make any accusation that could possibly cause any kind of harm to a company, Kyle was reckless plain and simple. With the recent Don't Buy Global Agenda and this false accusation his reputation is sinking imo, but im sure page hits are through the roof.

You better be 100% sure before you make any accusation that could possibly cause any kind of harm to a company, Kyle was reckless plain and simple. With the recent Don't Buy Global Agenda and this false accusation his reputation is sinking imo, but im sure page hits are through the roof.

What was the accusation? I don't recall Kyle accusing anyone of anything. He reported what occurred on his website and then relayed information from a source and posted it. That isn't an accusation.

I generally find finger-pointing annoying, but this is hilarious. H still isn't accepting that they were at fault for putting something in print.

The headline says "We cover where we were right and where we were misinformed."

When a news outlet says "An undisclosed source" then the reader has no choice but to trust that said news outlet is checking their sources. Had they said "Jane Smith said..." then it becomes the responsibility of the reader.

I'm not going to stop reading H, I just wish they had the balls to say "You know what? We fucked up. We printed information that was not true and had no backing. Going forward, we'll fact-check our statements before printing."

Bad reporting happens all the time, but throwing a company under a bus isn't always the outcome. When someone's name is on the line then you better take extreme care with the details.

As I see it, Newegg is the main point. I think any of us on this forum will be dealing with Newegg, the retailer, and not their suppliers or distributors they buy from. Next, this situation, on the face of it, is pretty near ridiculous, that these "mock ups" got, so far, as being delivered to customers, as a Genuine Intel CPU from Newegg, which customers, like you and me, were charged for. And that is the story.
But I am dismayed, that Newegg's response has been pretty poor, so far. they have not responded, that their procedures or job requirements or standards were not adhered to, and this has lead to causing the situation, which would not have happen, had they been followed. Or, that this situation has brought to light, that Newegg has to take action to make certain, it never happens again.
Fake products are not new in business and, if I was a distributor or retailer, every single piece of stock or inventory, I paid for, would certainly be checked to confirm it is what I expected and bought. Not doing this allows fakes to be sold and delivered to businesses and to wind up in customer's hands. And, that, is another main point.

Well I dont really want to get into this but.. I find this odd while reading this posting by Kyle.

"At no time did HardOCP speculate as to what company was supplying the counterfeit processors to Newegg. Our source that informed us of the supplier being D&H Distributing came from within Newegg's organization. We belived the information to be accurate and reported it to our readers. "

". We would NEVER "speculate" on something of this nature..."

I thought what they did WAS speculate.. I mean from everything I read, I thought geez maybe I dont understand the definition of speculate! So I googled "define speculate"

Speculate: To believe especially on uncertain or tentative grounds.

I dunno but this sounds alot like what hardocp did... but then again I maybe wrong. Just wondering what your guys onions are?

I mean I figured Hardocp made a posting... felt like they got attacked and then blew it out of proportion... I mean not like newegg could get away with selling those to anyone at most it be an inconvience.. and im sure it would have some ramifications with its vendor it purchases stuff from..

Way I figure it someone along the line stold X amount of processors and replaced them with these so no one noticed until way down the line.

Last edited:
What was the accusation? I don't recall Kyle accusing anyone of anything. He reported what occurred on his website and then relayed information from a source and posted it. That isn't an accusation.

I asked this in an earlier post and still haven't received an answer, from Kyle or anyone else. And it's a REALLY simple question.

Did Kyle call D&H after talking to his inside source to get D&H's side of the story?

It sure doesn't seem like it. If he did, apologies to Kyle. But if he didn't, then he really needs to rethink his earlier post about how, if he had this story to do over again, he would have done the same thing as before. Because that is just flat-out shitty reporting and it's why you can't trust what you read online these days.

Now the question is...where is IPEX getting their CPUs and are they knowingly in on this scheme?

Last edited:
Now the question is...where is IPEX getting their CPUs and are they knowingly in on this scheme?

I think a better question is - why was Newegg buying CPU's from IPEX in the first place? Whatever extra profit they made from dealing with a gray market supplier just went up in smoke. Was it worth the damage done to their reputation? Companies have to learn to balance the quest for profit with what's best for the consumer. Playing it cheap has a way of coming back to bite you in the ass.

I think a better question is - why was Newegg buying CPU's from IPEX in the first place? Whatever extra profit they made from dealing with a gray market supplier just went up in smoke. Was it worth the damage done to their reputation? Companies have to learn to balance the quest for profit with what's best for the consumer. Playing it cheap has a way of coming back to bite you in the ass.

Especially if this is true:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost...&postcount=132

Newegg could be screwed if they are operating outside their agreement with Intel or are marking down/crediting IPEX (and other grey market CPUs) as approved vendor CPUs for Intel kickbacks.

I asked this in an earlier post and still haven't received an answer, from Kyle or anyone else. And it's a REALLY simple question.

Did Kyle call D&H after talking to his inside source to get D&H's side of the story?

It sure doesn't seem like it. If he did, apologies to Kyle. But if he didn't, then he really needs to rethink his earlier post about how, if he had this story to do over again, he would have done the same thing as before. Because that is just flat-out shitty reporting and it's why you can't trust what you read online these days.

I don't see him answering. I am going to guess this is going to be a 'lets pretend this never happened.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back