Anyone have pics of Westinghouse 37" LCD??

DouglasteR said:
And notice any ghosting ?!

Identical to yours 2405FPW ?! This is good or bad ? :confused:
Had a family emergency last night so I wasn't able to do much with it yet. I played CSS for a few mintues and did not notice any ghosting. I'm sure if I stand facing a wall and strafe back and forth there might be some motion blur but I haven't confirmed that yet.

The black levels are right on par with my 2405FPW. Pretty good as far as most desktop LCDs go but totally inferior compared to some of the other television sets at BB with 3000:1 contrast ratios. But you get what you pay for and for the $$... it seems fine to me.

BTW this is confusing. This monitor does true 1080p but from what I can see in the manual it upscales 1080i to 1080p when using a tuner. So the only time you'll see true 1080p is having it hooked up to a computer. This is my understanding on it, if I'm wrong someone correct me.

Also I'm looking around trying to find the best settings for the catalyst driver and the display itself. There's an 80 page thread on avs forums that I'm combing through ATM.

Riptide_NVN said:
Had a family emergency last night so I wasn't able to do much with it yet. I played CSS for a few mintues and did not notice any ghosting. I'm sure if I stand facing a wall and strafe back and forth there might be some motion blur but I haven't confirmed that yet.

The black levels are right on par with my 2405FPW. Pretty good as far as most desktop LCDs go but totally inferior compared to some of the other television sets at BB with 3000:1 contrast ratios. But you get what you pay for and for the $$... it seems fine to me.

BTW this is confusing. This monitor does true 1080p but from what I can see in the manual it upscales 1080i to 1080p when using a tuner. So the only time you'll see true 1080p is having it hooked up to a computer. This is my understanding on it, if I'm wrong someone correct me.

Also I'm looking around trying to find the best settings for the catalyst driver and the display itself. There's an 80 page thread on avs forums that I'm combing through ATM.

well when you find the optimal settings, be sure to post up the Brightness contrast and gamma...Digital vibrance on/off? any image sharpening?? etc...thanks

You can adjust contrast, brightness, and also turn the backlight down. Color temp has 3 settings. I'm still reading through the 80 page thread on avsforums so there may even be some codes that will let you unlock RGB settings as well so you can adjust individual colors.

Since I have no professional equipment, and I'm very new to this sort of thing, I'm kinda waiting to see what one of the regulars over there settled on for his settings.

That ATI OCUR thing looked great..... except, the only way people will actually want it is in a DUAL tuner config, so you can implement TIVOlike functionality. Mediacenter does multituners already. If ATI had a barin for usefullness they'd make that modular to allow 1-2-3 tuners with one cablecard/cable connection.

What is the difference between rev1 and rev2 of the Westy 37"? Someone mentioned the rev2 is not as good?

What DVI cables are you guys using>??? HDMI DVI, DVI digital, DVI analog.... DVI male to male, DVI male digital/ DVI male digital dual link etc....????????

I'm using the DVI cable that came with my 2405FPW.

BTW, this is from page 8 of the thread at avsforums. Will try these tonight along with any others I find in that thread.

Brightness 46
Contrast 56
Saturation 46
Hue -6
Sharpness (autoset)
Color Temp Color 2
Aspect Ratio Fill
Backlight 40

Huggles said:
Riptide_NVN said:

Try turning your backlight to 0

I did and blacks are much better

Here are my settings:

Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Saturation: 50
Hue: -5
Color Temp: 3
Sharpness: N/A (DVI)
Aspect Ratio: Standard
Backlight: 20

Then calibrated using Adobe Gamma.

The black levels are not as good as I'd like, but for the price I can't complain.

Crap this monitor needs adjustment out of the box. Major eyeball bake when you first turn it on. Are they trying to fry chicken with it or what? :p

Will using an ATI All in Wonder X800 XT allow me to run games on the Westy at 1920 X 1080? The specs on the card say it will support that resolution but do you think it will run games smooth? Not really an expert on video cards.

I guess if not I will have to upgrade because my Westinghouse 37 is on the way from Crutchfield. Don't know if anyone has ordered from them before but so far they have been awesome. They called about 5 min after I ordered to confirm it. I also have gotten an email eveyday telling me where it is in the shipping process. I ordered Monday night and they say 5 to 7 business days but it looks like it will be here friday. Not bad for cross country.

Thanks.

Games running smooth depend somewhat on your CPU as well. The XT will be able to handle 1920x1080 OK - but I wouldn't think about turning on AA. Turning that up, especially to 4x, will cause major frame rate issues.

Even my X1800XT isn't able to handle high levels of AA with certain games in that resolution. Call Of Duty 2, a performance piggie, is one example. FarCry on the other hand runs alright and looks gorgeous. Odd that, since it looks as good as CoD2 IMO (but I digress..).

The 1000:1 version is what BB had on the tag when I bought it but the box says 800:1. I'm not to concerned, especially after reading some of the things I have on avsforums about the different revisions.

There seem to be a few issues. Dead/stuck pixels and vertical banding are a problem for some people. Also some of them make a slight hum/buzzing noise.

Mine makes a light humming noise, but it's inaudible unless you are in a completely silent environment.

1920x1080 with 4x AA looks stunning on the majority of recent FPS games CoD2, Swat 4, Battlefield2, etc etc...

Here's a quick picture of mine.

I think there may actually be less motion blur with this thing than my 2405FPW. It's subtle so tough to say for certain but definitely no worse. Black levels are identical, especially after fussing with the controls.

Speaking of that, here are the settings I've settled on for the moment.

Brightness 45
Contrast 56
Saturation 46
Hue -6
Color Temp 2
Backlight 33

It still seems rather bright but I think part of that is the fact the display is so much larger - it naturally puts out more lumens than a smaller display like my previous 2405FPW. Warning though, this thing will destroy your retinas out of the box. lol

Still have some tweaking to do I think but it's coming along well.

I like how you removed the stock speaker. Too bad you dont have a Klipsch center channel to put under there now =)

Well so far I'm pretty happy with mine. Out of the box this device is so bright it practically blinds you when you open up a white window. I turned the backlight down to 33 and experimented with some of the settings people posted on avsforum and it seems much more reasonable now. Looks really good at the 2D desktop and of the games I've tried so far all of them look pretty good. The only exception being X3: Reunion which looks to dark, I can't even hardly see the outline of my ship. I don't understand why when the gamma is at default in the game and no other game on the machine seems to have significant problems there. I don't know, I'll have to keep toying with it I suppose.

Movies look good, at least the 1080i/720p .MPG files I have. You can see the compression artifacts moreso than when I played them on my "small" 2405FPW. But they still blow DVD away quality wise. Finding Nemo in 720p looks excellent.

Riptide_NVN said:
Well so far I'm pretty happy with mine. Out of the box this device is so bright it practically blinds you when you open up a white window. I turned the backlight down to 33 and experimented with some of the settings people posted on avsforum and it seems much more reasonable now. Looks really good at the 2D desktop and of the games I've tried so far all of them look pretty good. The only exception being X3: Reunion which looks to dark, I can't even hardly see the outline of my ship. I don't understand why when the gamma is at default in the game and no other game on the machine seems to have significant problems there. I don't know, I'll have to keep toying with it I suppose.

Movies look good, at least the 1080i/720p .MPG files I have. You can see the compression artifacts moreso than when I played them on my "small" 2405FPW. But they still blow DVD away quality wise. Finding Nemo in 720p looks excellent.

Ghosting ? Sharpness ( 2d e 3d ) ? Quality ? Where you buy ? Compression Artifacts ?!?! Thats because of the lack of 1080p ? Black Levels ?

Thanks for the help :p

I am using the DVI cable that was included with my previous display (2405FPW).

Keep in mind that I have never owned an LCD TV, let alone one of this size and resolution. So with that in mind...

Ghosting is minimal. I run a test for this that works every time. In CSS I stand facing a wall and strafe back and forth. From what I can tell this display has less motion blur than the 2405FPW. Not night/day difference but noticeably a bit better. So I think motion blur/ghosting is not an issue with this thing. At least to me.

Regarding black levels. They are on par with my 2405FPW. Blacks are not true black if you view the display in a dark room. With lights on it's fine. Keep in mind plasma displays are going to be superior here with their much higher (3000:1) contrast ratios. But as far as LCDs go this thing does just fine in my estimation.

2D quality in Windows took some adjusting because the monitor is unbelievably bright on out of the box settings. Seriously. Luckily you can control the backlight with this device and I was able to turn that down and get it a bit more comfortable. It still seems a bit bright to me but turning it down any further causes bigtime loss of detail in dark areas on games. Part of this, as I mentioned earlier, is that this display is so much larger that it naturally will put out more light than the smaller displays I'm used to. So to a degree it's to be expected.

3D quality in FarCry was good, same w/CSS. I need to do some more testing and adjusting though because there was a lack of detail in dark areas. However I believe my gamma was out of whack at the time so the jury is still out on this. X3 The Reunion looked not very good to me - way to dark. But again I need to play some more. ;)

I got mine from the local BB and bought the 4 year service plan.

The compression artifacts I am seeing in 1080i and 720p mpeg files are due to the compression of the files themselves. Lossless video is not possible right now so even with a 20gig movie file there will be visible compression artifacts. Slight banding and some noise in the picture. Nothing you can do but sit back a ways from it. I am pretty sure that if you were watching a HDTV feed from a tuner and it was realtime programming you would not see that problem. Even with the compression artifacts the mpeg movies I've played still look fantastic vs. a regular DVD.

Does that help? :)

Riptide_NVN said:
I am using the DVI cable that was included with my previous display (2405FPW).

Keep in mind that I have never owned an LCD TV, let alone one of this size and resolution. So with that in mind...

Ghosting is minimal. I run a test for this that works every time. In CSS I stand facing a wall and strafe back and forth. From what I can tell this display has less motion blur than the 2405FPW. Not night/day difference but noticeably a bit better. So I think motion blur/ghosting is not an issue with this thing. At least to me.

Regarding black levels. They are on par with my 2405FPW. Blacks are not true black if you view the display in a dark room. With lights on it's fine. Keep in mind plasma displays are going to be superior here with their much higher (3000:1) contrast ratios. But as far as LCDs go this thing does just fine in my estimation.

2D quality in Windows took some adjusting because the monitor is unbelievably bright on out of the box settings. Seriously. Luckily you can control the backlight with this device and I was able to turn that down and get it a bit more comfortable. It still seems a bit bright to me but turning it down any further causes bigtime loss of detail in dark areas on games. Part of this, as I mentioned earlier, is that this display is so much larger that it naturally will put out more light than the smaller displays I'm used to. So to a degree it's to be expected.

3D quality in FarCry was good, same w/CSS. I need to do some more testing and adjusting though because there was a lack of detail in dark areas. However I believe my gamma was out of whack at the time so the jury is still out on this. X3 The Reunion looked not very good to me - way to dark. But again I need to play some more. ;)

I got mine from the local BB and bought the 4 year service plan.

The compression artifacts I am seeing in 1080i and 720p mpeg files are due to the compression of the files themselves. Lossless video is not possible right now so even with a 20gig movie file there will be visible compression artifacts. Slight banding and some noise in the picture. Nothing you can do but sit back a ways from it. I am pretty sure that if you were watching a HDTV feed from a tuner and it was realtime programming you would not see that problem. Even with the compression artifacts the mpeg movies I've played still look fantastic vs. a regular DVD.

Does that help? :)

I think i love you =*********
:p Thanks for the help :D

Any pics ?

shes here...

How come its running at 1280x1040?? Its showing that as the MAX resolution.... How come it wont let me run 1920x1080???

If i go to properties, it showing that 1280x1040 is the max resolution.. WTF :confused:

looks like absolute shit at this resolution..and is 100% a dealbreaker if i cant get it to run native..

any ideas??

To the person with the limited resolution above.
I think only one of the DVI ports supports 1920x1280. YOu might have plugged into the wrong port. I would try that first.

El Barto said:
To the person with the limited resolution above.
I think only one of the DVI ports supports 1920x1280. YOu might have plugged into the wrong port. I would try that first.

Its a monster DVI-D cable male to male.. Plugged into DVI-1 on the TV and plugged into DVI on the laptop.... This is shit.

PS: the WMP 1080p clips look fucking sick... Too bad the text im looking at is all stretched and pixelated... I NEED 1920x1080.. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHY MY MAX IS 1280x1040?

Try switching to the other dvi port. You must be in the limited one, there really isn't any other good explanation, to my mind. Once in DVI1, it took me straight to the right resolution after reboot. Also, I here that VGA can get you to 1920x1080 on this Westy.

Rhino

Try disable the notebook monitor, pehaps the display adapter dosent support 2 video whit that high resolution

DouglasteR said:
Try disable the notebook monitor, pehaps the display adapter dosent support 2 video whit that high resolution

As of right now i have it on SINGLE display with the Westy...Still wont let me go above 1280x1040....

FYI: When i had the 2005 hooked up the 2005 was @ 1680x1050 and the XPS2 LCD was @ 1920x1200.... So this is DEF not b/c the vid card cant handle it..

Ive tried both DVI ports, ive tried the VGA cable.. I even tried putting it on Single display (westy) and rebooting...

I thought for a second it was the LVM-37w2 not the LVM-37w1, but even the LVM-372 has 1366x768...

This is a huge turnoff.. Text and everything is strected to shit, and everything is pixelated.. Im not a happy camper atm....

I'm 99% sure you're looking at a software problem there dude.

If you have it in DVI-1 then the problem is that your system is not properly detecting that display or the modes it can support. If there is an INF file out there for the monitor you might want to try to find that... then load it and see if it helps.

In the case of my X1800 it picked it up right away and 1920x1080 was available without me even having to reboot. Just had to reopen CCC and it detected it. Also it knows the exact model # as well and it shows up properly there.

No dead or stuck pixels.. WMP HD looks unbeleivable.. But if i cant get the PC reso up to 1920x1080 its going back.... here are a few pics i took of WMP HD step into liquid..

The laptop is an XPS2 17" 1920x1080. behind the laptop is a 2005fpw, and the TV you see in the 2nd pic is a 27" mitsubishi (15 years old EASY) just to give you an idea how large this is...

some one please help with this shitty resolution.. lmao

Riptide_NVN said:
I'm 99% sure you're looking at a software problem there dude.

If you have it in DVI-1 then the problem is that your system is not properly detecting that display or the modes it can support. If there is an INF file out there for the monitor you might want to try to find that... then load it and see if it helps.

In the case of my X1800 it picked it up right away and 1920x1080 was available without me even having to reboot. Just had to reopen CCC and it detected it. Also it knows the exact model # as well and it shows up properly there.

I have no idea why, but now its letting me hit 1920x1080... BUAHAHAH... this LCD is great!

Quite a shock seeing your desktop on such a huge display isn't it? It took me a few minutes to get over the initial awe. Then I went to work on tweaking the settings. And I'm still at work on that because I'm having a few problems here or there. Mainly w/games that have dark areas in them - there is a total lack of detail there. But when I was testing it yesterday my gamma was turned down in the ATI driver. So that may have been having an effect. Gotta keep goofing around with it and see if I can get that taken care of.

So you guys gonna share your settings? Because I can't believe you could be happy with it out of the box. Unless you have a good pair of Oakleys nearby. :p

Back