Apple 24" LED-backlit IPS Cinema Display with DisplayPort ($899)?

I went to the Apple Store and played around with this new display.

Image Quality: Superb. Perfectly uniform backlighting, colors, sharpness. CRT-grade, I'd say. I tested it with some gray gradient patterns and saw zero banding. Backlighting I tested with solid blues and blacks fullscreen - it's all uniform, none of the "brighter lower half" problems that most LCDs have. I'm absolutely certain that it's an IPS panel.

Gloss: Unfortunately, it's highly reflective. Mirror-like. I wonder if any antiglare shields would alleviate this?

$900. Expensive, but not a bad deal for an IPS and LED in one screen. If only they offered a matte finish!

Thanks for this. I'm too far from an Apple store to justify driving to see it when it can't be bought yet. Did you happen to notice if it appeared to be displaying wide gamut?

BTW, like their previous displays, this monitor is only $799 if you order from the education store (there's no verification). On the surface, at least, this appears to be an incredible deal.

what features? the ridiculous lack of ports?

LED, camera, microphone, 2.1 sound, and thin aluminum enclosure are pretty good features. As far as connectivity, if you read up on DisplayPort you'd understand why there's no DVI or analog inputs. As previously mentioned in this thread it would require a lot more circuitry and expense.

http://www.displayport.org/simpler-setup/Direct-Drive.htm

This display is obviously designed to drive sales of their new notebooks (and vice-versa). Since they are likely going to exceed 10% computer market share for the 2nd quarter in a row, this display is going to do quite well.

Anyone else with IPS experience seen this monitor in person?

I'm not sure about the gamut, but what I can tell you is that I'm *extremely* picky when it comes to image quality, and I would be very satisfied with this monitor.

I'm not sure about the gamut, but what I can tell you is that I'm *extremely* picky when it comes to image quality, and I would be very satisfied with this monitor.

Nice. I too am picky and the old ACDs (especially the 23") were quite grainy with the aggressive anti-glare coating, even worse than the NEC's. At least with going pure glass that will not be an issue this time around. Maybe these really will be the most CRT-like to date, complete with the return of good ole' glare. ; )

if it's led then it's ips?

LED just refers to the backlight element. No bearing on the actual LCD panel type.

I went to an Apple store today...i'm 99.9% sure its IPS...its dirt simple to tell just by going on these forums...TN gets dark at the top...VA has a weird silvery 3d effect on the sides...IPS is more or less perfect. Also, it appeared to by standard gamut, too. I can tell the difference in a non color managed environment, but I was testing by browsing on Safari, which is color managed iirc, so I could be wrong on that.

If this thing had a matte finish (and if it is, in fact, standard gamut) I probably would buy one (mini-displayport and all). Also there are no other *IPS LED-backlit 24" monitors at all (are there?). $900 for an LED backlit *IPS is cheap and hopefully we'll see some more *IPS choices from other manufacturers soon (probably won't happen though...since the future seems to be 16:9 and TN...*barf*)

Apple already has miniDP to DVI adapters (for hooking up a new Macbook to their older DVI displays), but those are the wrong gender for what you would want.

If Apple doesn't come out with their own male DVI to female miniDP adapter, someone else will in short order.

From what I can tell it's an IPS, or some other high quality panel. All of Apple's other displays have been IPS, so I don't see why they would change it here. It's definitely not a TN panel.

No grainy antiglare coating on this monitor. Crystal-clear image. The reflectiveness of the glass surface is unfortunate but with the proper setup it won't be much of a problem.

The only thing holding me back on this monitor is the high price.

IPS with LED backlighting at $900 seems like a pretty good deal if you ask me. I dont understand why some people think all 24 in monitor should cost about the same. Different quality, different price, as all other products in this world. But mini dv only is definitely a bummer

so can you or can you not use a normal dvi video card with this monitor? wouldn't you just need an adapter?

VA panel is kind of like a TN panel turned 90 degree. imagine one eye seeing a slightly brighter image compared to the other one. its uncomfortable to eyes but the funny thing is, you get used to it eventually

VA panel is kind of like a TN panel turned 90 degree. imagine one eye seeing a slightly brighter image and compared to the other one. its uncomfortable to eyes but the funny thing is, you get used to it eventually

Yea, exactly what I was talking about. however, I couldn't get used to it...I bought and returned 2 MVA panels and used them both for a few weeks (I was DEAD SET against TN at first) before returning it and getting a a TN panel, which also annoys me but it's definitely easier on my eyes (no more headaches!). My next lcd will hopefully be IPS.

VA panel is kind of like a TN panel turned 90 degree. imagine one eye seeing a slightly brighter image compared to the other one. its uncomfortable to eyes but the funny thing is, you get used to it eventually

Early VAs or the cheap ones put in cellphones do it bad, but all the more recent P-MVA or and S-PVA 24" I've used are very very subtle in comparison. Its easy to forget its there, if you even notice it at all. There are still bad examples though as I've seen from a friends Asus 20"

However this Cinema display is IPS for sure, AUO has stopped their A-MVA line and Samsungs S-PVAs cost enough that Apple would surely stay with LG IPS because the savings would not be worth it.

I would get it but it is glossy, so I have to skip. I had an iMac I recently just sold and do not like the glossy displays on them much, so I doubt I'll like it here.

Yeah really, it's not like us former CRTers don't make enough tradeoffs already that we should get yet another grainy matte LCD....especially since if you like matte so much you can just get one of the 390247830 other models that don't come glossy.

Yeah really, it's not like us former CRTers don't make enough tradeoffs already that we should get yet another grainy matte LCD....especially since if you like matte so much you can just get one of the 390247830 other models that don't come glossy.

exactly.
Might be me but all matte LCD's I have encountered have suffered bad from the screen door effect. Especially the HP lp2475w... Never seen a glossy suffer from this...
Now lets find a cheap DVI -> miniDP adapter

exactly.
Might be me but all matte LCD's I have encountered have suffered bad from the screen door effect. Especially the HP lp2475w... Never seen a glossy suffer from this...

Again, you don't know what Screen Door Effect is.

Screen door effect has nothing to do with what is being described. Screen Door effect is usually discussed for LCD projectors and refers to the black space between rows of pixels creating an effect like looking through a screen door. Rows of dark lines in the image. Basically you can see all the pixels. It affects all types of LCDs equally and has nothing to do with IPS or glossy/matte. The bigger the pixels the bigger the effect. But generally not that much of an issue on LCD screens, more on projectors:

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/video/screendoor.htm
http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectorLCDvsDLP.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_door_effect

What effects some IPS screens is strong anti glare coating that makes white screen look dusty or sparkly. THIS IS NOT SCREEN DOOR EFFECT.

What effects some IPS screens is strong anti glare coating that makes white screen look dusty or sparkly.

s/IPS/LCD/. I haven't come across a matte LCD, be it IPS or PVA or TN, that hasn't had a terrible sparkling anti-glare coating.

s/IPS/LCD/. I haven't come across a matte LCD, be it IPS or PVA or TN, that hasn't had a terrible sparkling anti-glare coating.

Well you are on the sensitive side. I have owned 5 screens, all matte, 2 PVA, 2 IPS and one TN.

The only screen I found it objectionable on was the 30" IPS screen. The effect is stronger on these screens. I can still see it if I look for it on others, but it doesn't bother me.

But my main point was. This is not Screen Door effect. Does it look like a screen door to anyone? Why the heck call it SDE. Especially when that is the name of an entirely different issue related to displays.

Well you are on the sensitive side. I have owned 5 screens, all matte, 2 PVA, 2 IPS and one TN.

The only screen I found it objectionable on was the 30" IPS screen. The effect is stronger on these screens. I can still see it if I look for it on others, but it doesn't bother me.

But my main point was. This is not Screen Door effect. Does it look like a screen door to anyone? Why the heck call it SDE. Especially when that is the name of an entirely different issue related to displays.

Ok then. I thought that was the official term for the effect.
I would call it "dirty screen effect" ;)

Both my Westy 24" and 42" TV have antiglare coatings that work very well, no "sparkly" whatever.

My brother's 52" Samsung with no coating is glare city, drives me nutz.

saw 1 today at the apple store
nice tilt good price. was trying to get cs3 to do a plain black full screen to look at the edge bleeding but the app wasn't cooperating

only bad thing imo is the glossy screen i could never use it
major sheen in the store

thumbs down glossy screen

btw i'm in the market for a 1920 currently using a vp2030b with i think a pva panel. wouldn't upgrade to the apple.

plus there's that slight hair of metal on the sides make the consistency of the black surround pointless.

the 212W is "while charging MacBook Pro" There's no way in hell it uses anywhere near that much power, especially since LEDs are more efficient than CCFLs. I'm fairly sure max actual power consumption will be <100W...and probably more like <50W at humane brightness levels (my Samsung 245BW is around 37W or less at my preferred brightness).

This is almost exactly what I'm looking for: a relatively cheap 24 in. LED-backlit display. I've been really impressed with the Mac laptops that have LED displays and wish there were more standalone monitor options.

I've had a Dell 2001FP for the past five years and am looking for something a bit larger for my next upgrade cycle. The only turnoff is the lack of inputs -- I have several systems and would like at least DVI, Displayport, and HDMI so I can use it with everything without having to swap plugs.

Apple Store let me hook up my Macbook Pro and test it out. I can't say enough how gorgeous the image quality is on this display.

Also, I tested for output lag by playing some Quake 3. I could detect none whatsoever (and I'm very picky and sensitive to such things) - so this display passes that test as well.

The only potential problem may be that the connector cables are very short. It seems like Apple intends for the laptop to be on your desk along with this display. Anyone (like me) wanting to put the computer elsewhere may need extension cables.

Back