Apple 30" Cinema display on PC :cool:

sdclassic said:
Is the T221 suitable for web browsing? The text looks kind of small at such a high res on that 22" screen

XP has a dpi setting and it works okay. Portrait Display has a couple of utilities that can help. Like I said above, OSes are moving towards better support of resolution-independency.

And WHERE can I get that Apple wallpaper?

The 5120x2048 one? I don't remember exactly where it came from. Here's a site with lots of high res wallpapers:

http://www.xxlwallpapers.com/

wjchan said:
XP has a dpi setting and it works okay. Portrait Display has a couple of utilities that can help. Like I said above, OSes are moving towards better support of resolution-independency.

The 5120x2048 one? I don't remember exactly where it came from. Here's a site with lots of high res wallpapers:

http://www.xxlwallpapers.com/

That's like the most killerest thing ever.

Sorry, I meant the mountain wallpaper that mac puts on their ACD page, seen here http://images.apple.com/displays/images/indexcompdisplay06282004.jpg

All I can say is WOW! :eek:

Do you have to pan your eyes a lot with the Apple display being so wide and large?
It looks like with the IBM having a smaller physical area you could see stuff in the immediate vision, but the Apple looks like you might need to use your peripheral vision?!?! :D

Blethrow said:
Apple Cinema Display. :)

Hey Happy,

Since you're holding off on this panel until you can get an HP, are you also going to wait for a good SLI capable motherboard? I think I probably would, in your position as I understand it. I'm dying to drop in a second card. ;)

I can't. I only uses Compaq/HP. And I don't see any SLI MB any time soon. My spec. is the XW4200 w/ FX3400 w/ HP 30" with Smart UPS 1400VA. And to make things more interesting, my 19" trinitron just died on Sunday, so I made stuck w/ a 19" curved screen.

I have a way to buy all of the above cheaper except the video card. So the overall budget shouldn't be that bad.

Comparing price on the 23", Apple costs $1999, HP costs $1599. Based on that ratio, if 30" Apple is $3299, the HP only costs $2638, quite a difference than the Apple.

Martin64 said:
I ordered this monitor myself yesterday. :)

I'll have to upgrade my whole system since I don't have PCI-X on this motherboard (it's time for an upgrade anyway, I haven't upgraded since last summer), and I don't want to go with a FX 3000 because I've read mostly bad reports of it in combination with the ACD 30".

I just work out my budget also, only $5900 to $6800 for the whole sys. But I only go w/ HP Workstation, because I only rely on brand name w/ true R&D (unlike Dell or other clone). I am just waitng for the HP 30". Yesterday talking to "Internal HP consulting", I should get an answer next week when the 30" will be out.

make sure you have a SUA1500 from APC. Guarantee it will save you a lot of problems in the future, and you only buy it once in every 10+ years or so.

So I think I'll go with a Shuttle SB83G5 Barebone, P4 3.6 Ghz, PNY Quadro FX 3400 and some nice watercooling for the CPU and GPU. Any recommendations for quiet and effective watercooling for the items above? The Zalman Reserator looks pretty nice, but will it do the job?

If I don't overclock my GPU, can I use the existing cooling fan that comes with the PNY or why does you and Blethrow both decide to add cooling system?

Oh I'm sure that the regular FX 3400 cooling is sufficient, but I'm looking for a quiet computer though and from what I've heard, the FX 3400 is anything but quiet. :)

So you are thinking of liquid cooling? I don't do liquid cooling. What other options do I have?

Happy Hopping said:
So you are thinking of liquid cooling? I don't do liquid cooling. What other options do I have?

I suppose there aren't any other options if you want a quiet PC and an FX 3400 in it, really. But I've not tested this graphics card so I don't know how loud it is, you might not find it annoying.

I went with the water because the combination of the CPU fan running at 5K RPM and the Quadro fan was just too much. Too much like a 727 under your desk would be too much. I put in a Koolance Exos Al system and it is dead quite and cooling nicely.

That Shuttle case looks quite nice, but I am not a fan of the tiny form factor myself. In fact I'm wishing I'd got a larger Lian Li than I did. But then, I have three HDs with two more down the road and a bunch of cards.

I would hold out for the SLI. There will undoubtedly be Dual-Link DVI non-workstation cards a little down the road, at which time you could get two for the price of one 3400 now.

Blethrow, can the FX4400 support 2 x 30" Apple? If so, why don't you plan ahead and buy the fX4400 instead?

AS I am looking at nvidia spec. on the 4400

http://www.nvidia.com/page/qfx_uhe.html

there is a contradiction:

- dual DVI o/p--drives 2 indepedent digital display at 1600x1200, or one at 3840x2400

then just below that, it says:

- dual link TMDS -- drives up to two digital display at 3840x2400 @ 24Hz simultnaeously

it doesn't make sense

Happy Hopping said:
Blethrow, can the FX4400 support 2 x 30" Apple? If so, why don't you plan ahead and buy the fX4400 instead?

AS I am looking at nvidia spec. on the 4400

http://www.nvidia.com/page/qfx_uhe.html

there is a contradiction:

- dual DVI o/p--drives 2 indepedent digital display at 1600x1200, or one at 3840x2400

then just below that, it says:

- dual link TMDS -- drives up to two digital display at 3840x2400 @ 24Hz simultnaeously

it doesn't make sense

The latest rev of the T221, the DG5 model, can run in several modes. The DG5's native refresh rate is 48Hz. At full res of 3840x2400, even a dual-link DVI port doesn't have the bandwidth to drive one at 48Hz. So you have a choice of using 1 dual-link and 1 single-link port simultaneously and with horizontal spanning turned on, you can get 3840x2400@48Hz. But if you want to drive 2 T221-DG5s with one card, you have to use 1 dual-link port for each monitor and drive it at 24Hz.

--wilson

just read the whole thread, btw that setup is sweet, oh and one more thing that cat is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute, i love charcoal coloured cats :D

Blethrow said:
I went with the water because the combination of the CPU fan running at 5K RPM and the Quadro fan was just too much. Too much like a 727 under your desk would be too much. I put in a Koolance Exos Al system and it is dead quite and cooling nicely.

That Shuttle case looks quite nice, but I am not a fan of the tiny form factor myself. In fact I'm wishing I'd got a larger Lian Li than I did. But then, I have three HDs with two more down the road and a bunch of cards.

I would hold out for the SLI. There will undoubtedly be Dual-Link DVI non-workstation cards a little down the road, at which time you could get two for the price of one 3400 now.

Yeah, I'm going with water cooling for sure. I read in one of your posts that the Exos was noisy, but now it's dead quiet you say? The Zalman Reserator looks interesting as well.

That Lian Li is nice, but I'd take off the wheels. I've been looking at that exact same case myself, or possibly the one that's a bit larger, I got quite a few harddrives I could stick in it. Can't quite decide if I should go with the Lian Li or that Shuttle. :)

As you say, I wouldn't recommend SLI 3400s either. I'll grab just one for now and replace it with a SLI solution when there are non-workstation cards out.

Can't wait until I get my 30" Apple. :) Unfortunately, like I said before, I'll be stuck on 1280x800 for a while though. :p

I have the Apple 23-Inch HD Display hooked up to both my G5 (Which looks AMAZING) as well as my PC (Duel 2.4GHZ w/ a BFG 6800GT) I play on my PC (UT2004, HL2, D3) They all look very smooth. On my apple the other hand, Hands down no comparison. But on my PC, the games play awesome. UT2004 @ native resolution loooks very smooth, all the goodies turned up.

I am running the 70.41 Nvidia Drivers.

Anthony

wjchan said:
The latest rev of the T221, the DG5 model, can run in several modes. The DG5's native refresh rate is 48Hz. At full res of 3840x2400, even a dual-link DVI port doesn't have the bandwidth to drive one at 48Hz. So you have a choice of using 1 dual-link and 1 single-link port simultaneously and with horizontal spanning turned on, you can get 3840x2400@48Hz. But if you want to drive 2 T221-DG5s with one card, you have to use 1 dual-link port for each monitor and drive it at 24Hz.
--wilson

but I don't need 3840x2400. As long as they can run dual Dual-link 2560x1600 on the 30" x 2, at 60Hz or higher, that's all the screen can support anyway.

The problem w/ that nvidia link is that it doesn't show the breakdown.

Man, that is one awesome cat .... but why did you post those other pictures without the cat? I wish my cat would perch like that ... the most he'll interact with my PC is to walk all over the keyboard.

Blethrow said:
This is being driven by a PNY Quadro FX 3400. Contrary to some speculation, the monitor is live from power on and will show you all relevant BIOS goodness.

I have a Samsung 213T (I thought I was hot shit until I saw you :D ) but I have this problem that I really have to turn on the monitor at exactly the right moment to see BIOS settings and such. And getting the monitor to turn on after an auto-off is quite a hassle also. Since you seem to be mentioning it, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows how to fix such a problem?

XMorbius said:
I have a Samsung 213T (I thought I was hot shit until I saw you :D ) but I have this problem that I really have to turn on the monitor at exactly the right moment to see BIOS settings and such. And getting the monitor to turn on after an auto-off is quite a hassle also. Since you seem to be mentioning it, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows how to fix such a problem?

tried setting a 3 to 6 second IDE delay on boot in your bios? might give your monitor a chance to catch up.
I have the 172w, and when i had both dvi and vga hooked up, it used to do that, now that the ati drivers really suport dvi right, i can stick with dvi only, and the monitor shows post messages just fine.

Hi,

has anyone ever tried of using one 30" Cinema display from Apple with a MAC and a PC simoultanously? How would you go about that?

I am currently using 2 screens with two inputs. I switch from PC to MAC on the screen sittch. Would I be able to do something similar with the 30"? I am aware of the fact that I will need some kind of external switch.

MAWPIX

Ugh, I won't receive the monitor until next week. :(

The new ATI X3-256 looks like an interesting card, but I've read at the Apple forums that there seems to be problems with it working in games. However, if it does work, it should be faster than FX 3400 and runs quieter. Has anyone around here tested it?

tk[421] said:
tried setting a 3 to 6 second IDE delay on boot in your bios? might give your monitor a chance to catch up.
I have the 172w, and when i had both dvi and vga hooked up, it used to do that, now that the ati drivers really suport dvi right, i can stick with dvi only, and the monitor shows post messages just fine.

Thanks a bunch for the advise, I'll try it later tonight. Do you know if this would be related to the problem?

Yay, my monitor is on its way :)

Order Items
APPLE CIN HD DISPLAY 30" FLAT PANEL-ZML

Part No.
M9179ZM/A

Qty

Shipped
1 Shipped 03/12/2004

Carrier : TNT Nederland B.V.

So I guess it'll take a few days, my estimate is that I have it on Tuesday. :p

I also have this on my purchase list (below), any opinions? Anything you would exchange?

* Lian Li PC-V2000 Aluminium
* Lian Li Window Kit for V2000
* Zalman Reserator I - Sockel 478, 462, 754/940
* Zalman ZM-GWB1 VGA Cooler for Reserator
* Zalman ZM-NB47 J passive northbridge cooler
* Logitech MX 1000 Cordless Optical - Onyx Black
* SP Ultra Flat Metal Keyboard

it should be faster than FX 3400

FireGL X3: based on X800 Pro (12 pipeline design)
FX3400: based on 6800GT (16 pipeline design)

The FX3400 is faster. The problem is that people often get a little bit confused because nVidia also had a FX3000 in their product range.
But the FX3000 is not the AGP version of the FX3400. The FX3000 is based on the "old" 5900U consumer cards and of course slower than the X3. But the FX3400 is a complete different card.
Another problem: The Apple display has no scaler. ATI only offers two interpolation methods (1:1, fullscreen). nVidia has three options in their driver (1:1, fullscreen, fullscreen with correct aspect ratio => this is important if you want to drive 4:3 resolutions).

Denis

Sailor_Moon said:
FireGL X3: based on X800 Pro (12 pipeline design)
FX3400: based on 6800GT (16 pipeline design)

The FX3400 is faster. The problem is that people often get a little bit confused because nVidia also had a FX3000 in their product range.
But the FX3000 is not the AGP version of the FX3400. The FX3000 is based on the "old" 5900U consumer cards and of course slower than the X3. But the FX3400 is a complete different card.
Another problem: The Apple display has no scaler. ATI only offers two interpolation methods (1:1, fullscreen). nVidia has three options in their driver (1:1, fullscreen, fullscreen with correct aspect ratio => this is important if you want to drive 4:3 resolutions).

Denis

Thanks for that clarification, Denis, I just read on the Apple forums that the X3 was faster. :)

How about the FX 4000? I've decided to go with nVidia, and I'm going to pick up either a FX 3000 or FX 4000 today. I can't get hold of a FX 3400 at the moment so that's out of the question. How does a FX4000 compare to a FX 3400 and X3 in games? Should I wait until I can get a FX 3400?

The FX-4000 should be a little bit faster than the FX-3400 because it is based on the 6800 Ultra. But at least here in Germany there is a difference of about 500 Euro (~600 USD) between the FX-3400 PCI-E and the FX-4000 AGP, so I will go for the FX-3400 (when the PCI-E AMD boards are available).

Denis

Many thanks, I'll get the FX 4000 then. I'm getting a good deal on one so it's not that much more expensive than the FX 3400. :)

FX 4000 ordered. This system will be mad once I'm done with it. :p

wait a min., the FX4000 is AGP, whereas FX3400 is PCIE. What video card tech. does your sys. support? You can't have both.

------

On an unrelated matter, while we are sitting here waiting for the HP 30", I took the 1st step in getting my new sys. I got my HP Professional station XW4200 and ordered a new APC SMart up 1500VA UPS, both arriving next Wed.

Martin64 said:
Yay, my monitor is on its way :)

Order Items
APPLE CIN HD DISPLAY 30" FLAT PANEL-ZML

Part No.
M9179ZM/A

Qty

Shipped
1 Shipped 03/12/2004

Carrier : TNT Nederland B.V.

So I guess it'll take a few days, my estimate is that I have it on Tuesday. :p

I also have this on my purchase list (below), any opinions? Anything you would exchange?

* Lian Li PC-V2000 Aluminium
* Lian Li Window Kit for V2000
* Zalman Reserator I - Sockel 478, 462, 754/940
* Zalman ZM-GWB1 VGA Cooler for Reserator
* Zalman ZM-NB47 J passive northbridge cooler
* Logitech MX 1000 Cordless Optical - Onyx Black
* SP Ultra Flat Metal Keyboard

Looks uber leet. Do you have any experiences or pics of that keyboard IRL?

how about a link to where I can find one of those keyboards for sale?
do they come in black?

Happy Hopping: Yes, I know it's AGP, so that rules out nForce4. My current system has AGP, but I'm going to upgrade the lot to an AMD FX-55 system (with AGP, nForce3 I guess...) sometime soon.

sdclassic and novadude: I don't have any experience with those Keyboards, but that one looks awesome, it's all Aluminum. :) They do not come in black. The manufacturer is KeySonic (www.keysonic.de) and I've not looked elsewhere, but they can be purchased at www.caseking.de.

Back