Apple Trying To Patent RF in Everything

HardOCP News

[H] News
RF modules in your house? In your purse or backpack? Wallet? In your t-shirt? In your brain? Apple is trying to patent them. There is even a nifty tech drawing listed as part of the patent application. Beware, the drawing is rather technical and may be hard for some PC users to comprehend on their own:

There is even a nifty tech drawing listed as part of the patent application. Beware, the drawing is rather technical and may be hard for some PC users to comprehend on their own:

It's true! I tried to view them and Quicktime crashed Firefox!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Yay for more garbage from this steaming pile of a company.

If only dingleberries had RFID tags I could tell how many were hanging on at any given moment.

so how would this affect RFID in credit cards and passports or just about anything that has already been produced with RFID in it? I would have thought that RFID had already been patented by one of the originators of the tech.

so how would this affect RFID in credit cards and passports or just about anything that has already been produced with RFID in it? I would have thought that RFID had already been patented by one of the originators of the tech.

But those ones don't have Apple's name on them and they wanted to be the ones that patient them. So its ok. Just look at the iPhone name.

The primary patent claim is: "using the host device to initiate a communications event, the host device comprising locally stored communications event data;wirelessly accessing the long-range communications device; andallowing [sic] the user to communicate by directly interacting with the host device. "

Am I missing something? Consider a cell phone using AIM to send a message. the cellular phone initiates a communications event (the message sending), the cell phone holds the "communications even data" (the message), wirelessly accesses the cell phone tower, and then allows the user to communicate by interacting with the cell phone.

Oh wait, they spell it out for you 25: they are specifically trying to patent a text message. This isn't limited to RFID, this would patent a telephone call. Which is why I rather doubt it would ever be issued (issues of obviousness, here).

See this is what is wrong with the patent industry... RFID, oh hell yeah who ever made it patent it... various places to stick RFID? Give me a fucking break.

What a bunch of crap, are Apple lawyers trying set the record for the dumbest legal team since Marvel got weird about City of Heroes?

Not that I'm against railing at Apple for idiotic things like this, but I'm not quite getting how Apple is connected. Does Ropes & Gray LLP represent Apple, or does Michael Rosenblatt work for Apple?

Regardless, I certainly hope the patent office grows some balls and rejects the application.

Yeah, ignore that last.... Somehow, after reading the info twice, I missed the whole "Apple, Inc." thing...

Hey, if Microsoft can patent arrow keys, what the hell...

They're doing this to cover their asses from Texas based businesses that make a living out of patenting useless crap and suing big companies despite prior use and everything.

Now if only apple could put wifi on their regular ipods and rename their macs itards.

I just patented putting your laptop on: desk, lap, bed, car, house, floor, and anything solid. Pay up bitches.

That would sum up apples legal team. iTurds.

QFT

nah, they'd be iSue or perhaps iPatent :p

rofl

...or perhaps iWish (iheld all the patents already so 'i' wouldnt have to try and patent
everything that hasnt been thought of yet).

Oh wait, they spell it out for you 25: they are specifically trying to patent a text message. This isn't limited to RFID, this would patent a telephone call. Which is why I rather doubt it would ever be issued (issues of obviousness, here).

Obvious you say??? Who EVER said the patent office (as it's currently operated) would have even HALF a clue as to what's "obvious"??!?!! :rolleyes: <lmao> :D

The primary patent claim is: "using the host device to initiate a communications event, the host device comprising locally stored communications event data;wirelessly accessing the long-range communications device; andallowing [sic] the user to communicate by directly interacting with the host device. "

I find this interesting because this patent claim sounds almost identical to NTP's (aka Thomas Capona?) who sued blackberry a couple years ago and.... won. His RF patent states the following:

" a message originating in an electronic mail system may be transmitted not only by wireline but also via RF, in which case it is received by the user and stored on his or her mobile RF receiver. The user can view the message on the RF receiver and, at some later point, connect the RF receiver to a fixed destination processor, i.e., his or her personal desktop computer, and transfer the stored message."

I only remembered this because I used to work for T-mobile during that lawsuit and we had many blackberry users impacted by this.

Back