ARGH!!...Is it 4th Quarter yet? :( new 30inchers?

Something of this nature you likely want to do "right" the first time around. It's definitely not something you want to get and then think "I should have waited". I'd probably be more gung ho, except that I have a 24" already, so I've fed the beast and I have enough to make sure that the 30 is the right one.

But you are right, in any tech item, if some people don't leap, the product can die early on. In this case with Benq, Samsung, and HP coming with 30" models. While the market isn't huge, given the cost, there is a recognition that the market is there. And it can support more than 1-2 vendors. The HP would be superb save that I prefer a brighter value than the 300 it is going to be capable of. It hits every other nail right though so if they improve the brightness I might go there. We'll see.

:)

I agree on the "new tech" item view but its not a new gadget. To the eyes of most its just a bigger version of an existing gadget.
The biggest monitors are always in the niche/bleeding edge category. 21",22" CRTs took awhile to go from very expensive to very competitive throughout all the big CRT brands. Sony and NEC had a hold on the >19" for awhile IIRC. I'd bet dimes to dollars 30" LCDs will be the same. There has been a fairly quick ramp up in terms of LCD size and quality in the past year because of all the R&D the big names have been doing. The jump from 20" -> 24" -> 30" was pretty fast.
For computer monitors 30" sure looks like the biggest we'll see in awhile. I highly doubt these products will die if the demand isn't great or even slacks off. Because of the flood of good <1k$ 20-24" LCDs it will just take awhile for the demand for anything bigger to rise.
Ontop of a small demand LG is the only one actually providing a 30" panel. We all know Samsung has a great one on paper but all the products that use it have been delayed.
HP coming out with their LP3065 is good news and LG making a newer panel is also good news. Prices for the Dell and Apple will obviously drop and hopefully brands like Viewsonic, Gateway, and NEC will feel the need to jump into the game.

Those looking for HDMI swtiching, rather than choosing a monitor based on the number of inputs (or waiting) you could always buy the monitor that best meets your needs and then add something like this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jIBez1X6Jft/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=15270&I=035VSHD31 (can be found cheaper) - an HDMI switcher for $150-180. Manufacturers would probably add close to that amount for a monitor that supported 3 HDMI inputs.

You could do something similar for component or VGA inputs etc, in fact those would be cheaper.

sethk said:
Those looking for HDMI swtiching, rather than choosing a monitor based on the number of inputs (or waiting) you could always buy the monitor that best meets your needs and then add something like this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jIBez1X6Jft/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=15270&I=035VSHD31 (can be found cheaper) - an HDMI switcher for $150-180. Manufacturers would probably add close to that amount for a monitor that supported 3 HDMI inputs.

You could do something similar for component or VGA inputs etc, in fact those would be cheaper.

Not following you? Only HDMI Type-B or rev 1.3 Type-A(maybe) can handle the 2560x1600 resolution but there are no Type-B devices and 1.3 was just announced in June. :confused:

strikeout said:
i hate to say it,but you guys talk about holding, thats what companies will do. You ppl,(ppl in the market for 30" with the money to afford them), are the bleeding edge of the enthusiast market. Now if you guys hold, who is there to follow? who is gonna create the market? I know $1500 displays arent nothing to buy on impulse but imagine if alot of people just went and bought 3007s. Alot more competetion would be trying to get a piece of that pie, improving on competetors, reducing prices etc. Right now i think the hot market is the 20-22 range(16x10). Soon as more ppl adopt widescreen and go bigger with better gpus of dx10, will see more bigger and better displays.

Trust me. I'll be buying a 30 incher real soon. But I want to get the most for my money. Its a crying shame that BenQ has decided not to release the monitor this year. And that might very well cause me to get another competitor's monitor and forget BenQ and their multiple inputs.
But I don't think it will effect the market if the fellas at this forum buys them sooner or not. Its just that we are the elite of the elite of high end buyers. :p
And we really target our purchases specifically and strategically to get the most bang for the buck. :cool:

Benq is the first to offer multiple inputs and multiple input types.

HP is the first to offer 92% gamut - if it's moderately accurate, it's really nice for photo editing

Dell will probably stealth upgrade the 3007 to a Samsung panel. It's sad, because they could actually do well selling a A ver and B ver one being LG and one being Samsung. Preferences range on both types, and I'm sure both would sell.

They all need 2 dual link dvi inputs, and Benq clearly offers more than even that at what is planned to be a competitive price.

92% color gamut should be on all of their to do lists at this price level. The lamps exist to do it, and they aren't even a bump on the radar in terms of price increase over a regular lamp.

Next wave will be LED backlit and then likely OLED after a few more step ups on LCD picture quality. (future years)

Back