ASUS Policy on Cougar Point based MBs? (Intel Recall)

I don't believe the first part of this and I also have not seen Intel say "this will not lead to data loss". Anytime I have encountered HDs failing to show up in randomly, data loss or rebuilding RAID arrays would soon follow. Not all data transfers are reliable if they get cut off mid stream, especially when this type of stuff happens while the system is powered on and using the drive.
Apparently this is the problem is on the clock tree of the 3GB SATA controller.
Technical details can be found here http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug.
But you may be right that to be on the safe side it is better not to use the faulty SATA ports.
By the way Intel has updated information on http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm but stays relatively vague on the chance to loose data!

It won't happen, I moved to the 6G ports and all will be fine, as per Intel. And Intel claim a slowdown, not a loss of data. Get your facts straight.

Those are the facts and I experienced them first hand. Never had that problem on any other platform.

I agree this is really getting out of hand. Many people don't even take time to read the technical information correctly. Here are some facts.
- The data on the HDD will not be lost
- The manifestation of the problem could be by a loss of performance (hard to detect), but more likely your HDD will disappear from your configuration and coming back.
- However it is not correct to say that you have 5% chance to see the problem and only in the future. This number is a probabilistic computation based on tests done by Intel frying overvoltaged chips. But you have to remember that Intel do zillion of tests before releasing their chip and this problem was not found before release. This means that the problem has been reported by customers and reproduced by Intel. This also implies that some people already have the problem (I know one guy in France that was loosing his HDD each time he was performing heavy operations on it). If you do not have currently the problem chances are high that you will not see it before the exchange of the board.

You can read all the technical data you want...I'm telling you I lost 8 hdd's in a row. I have never had this happen before on any other platform. That tells me there is something wrong here. Do as you want and believe what you will.

Link is http://forum.pcinpact.com/topic/153...p8p67-deluxe/page__view__findpost__p__2555968
But you will have to read French or use Google translate:

Symptoms HDD disappear when decompressing a large rar file
LOL.

Next you'll be quoting from wikipedia.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm
In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives.
Impact to functionality of a device is an extremely broad phrase and definitely doesn't discount the possibility of data loss, after all the functionality of a hard drive is to store data.

Skyrocket I did on my Asus WS Revolution...I lost every hdd/ssd OS install (8 total) before the news became public. The ports are now unusable. Of course I was benching constantly at 5.3GHz tho...:p

Seems this was glossed over. For the majority all will be fine I believe, but don't buy into the rumor that there is no possibility of data loss...I have lost big time and can think of no other reason for this. I have been clocking different platforms at and above those frequencies for years without any prior failures such as this. Take what you will from it.

As an example of an edge case what if you were messing with the partition tables when the interface failed.

As a non edge case of which I don't know the answer, Windows does a lot of background reads and writes with existing data to optimise drive performance, what if the interface fails while this is going on.

I've asked people to link where Intel state there is no risk of data loss, I've also searched fairly thoroughly myself and so far I can find nothing definitive.

You're working overtime on this. The boards are going to be replaced. What's the point of trying to dream up failure modes? You're not going to prove it one way or the other.

LOL.

Impact to functionality of a device is an extremely broad phrase and definitely doesn't discount the possibility of data loss, after all the functionality of a hard drive is to store data.

The ports start acting up initially then without warning you lose the harddrive. At that point you can swap ports but it is too late...you will not recover the OS.

Or purchasing an SATA II adapter as a temporary fix ( assuming you have a free slot ).

Definitely one of the options I'm considering, which is why I wish Intel would make a definitive statement on the risks of data loss so I'll know if I'd be wasting my money or not on such a purchase.

My supplier is pretty bullish about the lack of risks, but the fact that they plan to continue selling SB gear no matter what and their reps are flaming anyone that even brings up the idea of data loss makes me question their objectivity.

What kind of definitive statement are you looking for regarding add-on sata ports that aren't on the mobo chipset that are are known to be flawed?

His supplier should not be putting those motherboards out to consumers to begin with. Having to purchase an additional sata controller with a new motherboard is just foolish to boot.

LOL.

Enough degradation of the ports will mean read/writes will be so slow as to make the system non-functional.

But yeah, at that point it's likely you'd start to lose data, as if you can't save the data or read it it's gone.

I don't hear anyone saying keep using those ports though (I plan to leave my opticals on them, but they are mostly used for reading - so I'm not worried about losing data). The plan is to get off of them, get a new mobo, or get an add-on card to replace those ports.

Perhaps pictures are better than words...
WSRevolution001-1.jpg

These are but a sampling of the drives rendered useless from my WS Revolution.

rickss69,

Too much overclocking is dangerous, man!

What is that pic supposed to say? Are those drives bricked or did you just lose the OS on them?

What kind of definitive statement are you looking for regarding add-on sata ports that aren't on the mobo chipset that are are known to be flawed?
Was talking about the Intel based 3Gb ports.

Given the vagueness of their statements and the dodgy way they've used the 5% statistic it's pretty hard to know how much Intel are trying to cover themselves if thing go wrong while down playing the issue to protect their share prices.

Obviously before spending on an additional SATA controller I'd appreciate it if Intel provided some information that was aimed at helping their customers instead of themselves.

Given the vagueness of their statements and the dodgy way they've used the 5% statistic it's pretty hard to know how much Intel are trying to cover themselves if thing go wrong while down playing the issue to protect their share prices.

Obviously before spending on an additional SATA controller I'd appreciate it if Intel provided some information that was aimed at helping their customers instead of themselves.

Dont you this is a bit unfair remark. Intel will be spending 1 billion dollars to help their customers ;)

Here's to hoping Asus lets us trade up and pay the difference to go to Z68 *fingers crossed*

++++++++++++1

Hopefully Asus is keeping watch of this thread and will seriously consider this. Or perhaps my etailer, ++++.

I had the same problem but mine wasn't SATA related. Windows 7's power management default settings have hard drives turn off every 20minutes of non-use. I changed the setting to "0" (which turns that feature off) and the problem went away. Try that and let us know if it fixed your issue. :3

I hope Asus just does an advanced RMA- they send us the replacement mb and we send back the old one. I got mine from Microcenter and it seems they will just give refunds at this time. I'd rather just deal with Asus. The reason I went back to Intel is the ability to do SLI or Crossfire on the same mb. I'm hoping Asus just comes out with an exact equivalent to the Pro and we can do an even swap.

I did try using a pci-e sata card and it didn't work out real well. I just moved all my hard drives to the good controllers and moved my dvd burners to the bad ones.

They thought the problem was enough to halt production, call back products in the field and, etc. That alone should suggest that it might be a good idea to consider getting a new board if you eventually want to use those ports.

The other issue is it is better for them to deal with this now than have people upset years from now because their mobos have good bad. I usually keep a mobo in service for 5+ years (putting it in a second or third system or handing it off to someone who is not interested the latest and greatest). By then, the issues start to fade from memory, but the problem is still there.

Your last comment is kind a funny. Do you really expect them to say stuff that's going to put their sales in the toilet? Too much info is not so good either. People here are already freaked out enough.

Yes, I do expect companies to be honest when it comes to risks to my data. It's not kind of funny, but glad to know Intel can't be trusted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY&feature=player_embedded#

Well done to Newegg then, they specifically state there are risks of data loss if you use those ports.

Finally I have a concrete answer from someone, pity I don't live in the US as they would become my sole source of IT equipment.

rickss69,

Too much overclocking is dangerous, man!

What is that pic supposed to say? Are those drives bricked or did you just lose the OS on them?

All the drives were rendered inoperable...hence all data was lost.

Yes, I do expect companies to be honest when it comes to risks to my data. It's not kind of funny, but glad to know Intel can't be trusted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY&feature=player_embedded#

Well done to Newegg then, they specifically state there are risks of data loss if you use those ports.

Finally I have a concrete answer from someone, pity I don't live in the US as they would become my sole source of IT equipment.

Did you not see any of my posts? Your question was answered many times by a real user, not some tech sheet distributed by Intel...

If you buy cutting edge hardware you always have to expect problems like this. Assuming it has been tested enough by the time it hits the market is foolish. I'm very pissed as well but i couldn't resist to buy the latest tech and this is what i got - too late now and i'm trying to make the best out of it, after all sandy bridge is still awesome.

What? Are you serious? How did you lose the data?

I would say the effect of the sata ports was accelerated by my benching in the 5.2/5.3GHz range. Probably not a factor for most users, but a heads up for those that bought them for that purpose.

Yes, every drive shown in that picture was rendered inoperable (would no longer boot into Windows or drive not recognized)...that pretty much constitutes data loss in my book lol. After that happens you can swap sata ports to no avail, it aint comin back bro. In my case all of the affected sata ports finally gave up the ghost. The 6 Gb/s ports are still operable tho.

If you buy cutting edge hardware you always have to expect problems like this. Assuming it has been tested enough by the time it hits the market is foolish. I'm very pissed as well but i couldn't resist to buy the latest tech and this is what i got - too late now and i'm trying to make the best out of it, after all sandy bridge is still awesome.

No, I would not expect something of this magnitude. The 1156 and 1366 platforms were cutting edge at one time and never had a problem as bad as this.

I would say the effect of the sata ports was accelerated by my benching in the 5.2/5.3GHz range. Probably not a factor for most users, but a heads up for those that bought them for that purpose.

Yes, every drive shown in that picture was rendered inoperable (would no longer boot into Windows or drive not recognized)...that pretty much constitutes data loss in my book lol. After that happens you can swap sata ports to no avail, it aint comin back bro. In my case all of the affected sata ports finally gave up the ghost. The 6 Gb/s ports are still operable tho.
"The 6 Gb/s ports are still operable"
Operable how? are you able to boot the above drives from those ports or access the data?

Did you not see any of my posts? Your question was answered many times by a real user, not some tech sheet distributed by Intel...
Yes I did and you have my utmost sympathies.

But as you have seen people in general tend to ignore individual tales of woe, but do take notice when a major retailer goes on the record and states the risks are real.

Update - We will have full details of our replacement program up in a couple of days along with a dedicated website for customer care.

Update - We will have full details of our replacement program up in a couple of days along with a dedicated website for customer care.

Does that mean I should hold off sending my WS Revolution back to NewEgg?

Thanks for the hard work Gary. Here is to hoping for a Z68 or a different P67 step-up program ( for an additional fee ) for faulty P67's. I'd <3 a Sabertooth.

All the drives were rendered inoperable...hence all data was lost.

So how do you know you didn't have a bad mobo and that this problem isn't related to something totally different than this chipset flaw? No one else has lost so many drives.

Except that you don't know what killed your drives. You're speculating now.

Answered by anecdotal evidence from a single user, you. No one else, that I've seen, has reported hard drive failures from this, which makes me wonder if there isn't something else at fault here.

I assume you've tested all of these drives in another system, right, using an older non-SB chipset?

How can it be a minor problem if it si going to cos Intel 1 billion dollars? I am happy it came out now so I return my SB to MC.

Enough degradation of the ports will mean read/writes will be so slow as to make the system non-functional.

But yeah, at that point it's likely you'd start to lose data, as if you can't save the data or read it it's gone.

I don't hear anyone saying keep using those ports though (I plan to leave my opticals on them, but they are mostly used for reading - so I'm not worried about losing data). The plan is to get off of them, get a new mobo, or get an add-on card to replace those ports.

No, how many times does it have to be said???? There's error checking on the information moving back and forth between a drive and a sata port. No error checking is absolutely 100% certain to catch every error I suppose, but the probability of that happening is low enough that you're far more likely to just have the drive die from some random issue than have something that get's past error checking screwing it up.

The ports might degrade, causing error checking to report a problem and the information to be resent. As the problem gets worse the port is essentially dead, since resending the data even thousands of times won't result in it getting through to the other side of the connection.

Obviously it's a good idea to move things off the 3gbs ports if you can. It sounds like that's what you've done or plan to do, which is what I've done and will do also.

No, how many times does it have to be said???? There's error checking on the information moving back and forth between a drive and a sata port. No error checking is absolutely 100% certain to catch every error I suppose, but the probability of that happening is low enough that you're far more likely to just have the drive die from some random issue than have something that get's past error checking screwing it up.

The ports might degrade, causing error checking to report a problem and the information to be resent. As the problem gets worse the port is essentially dead, since resending the data even thousands of times won't result in it getting through to the other side of the connection.

Obviously it's a good idea to move things off the 3gbs ports if you can. It sounds like that's what you've done or plan to do, which is what I've done and will do also.

So what if there is error checking if all there is are errors? At that point, you have failure. If you were trying to save something, it's gone. Why do you read what I wrote.

My stuff is already off the 3Gb/s ports. It's in the sig.

Back