BenQ G2400W

So I came upon this monitor on Newegg and thankfully this thread on here. I play RTS games on my PC, but the rest of my uses are programming, office, internet, and some other basic stuff. Will occasionally hook a 360 to it, so that HDMI 1:1 solution is nice.

My only worry now is I have a 6800GT (might be the GTS...I forget, whichever was faster) 256MB nvidia AGP card. Is it going to be able to push this thing at 19x12 for general desktop use? I know the card won't push gaming at that resolution by any means.

I am officially reinterseted in this monitor, after having a lot of trouble finding a store with the fhd2400 in stock, i think I may take a chance on this one. heres a vid on youtube, if its the right monitor than it does have the 1:1 which is essential to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XASe7IA6760

Someone tell me more about this one.

Does any store sell this thing. I live in california, orange county. I would like to see it before I buy.

Try going to BenQ.com and looking for stores there I believe you can enter your zip and they will give you a list of stores. I tried with Ohio but I didn't have any luck. Also, most likely in the stores they will hook it up via VGA and splice the pic 1 million times thus making the pic miserable...

Just my $0.02.

I am probably going to get one from newegg.com this week. I will post my impressions once I get it either this weekend or Monday.

Madwacker, I wouldn't worry about your video card hitting 1920x1200 for desktop, it's fine :)

Oldboy, from everything I've seen, 1:1 works fine on the monitor--would you believe they actually advertise the feature! Personally I'd have gotten an FHD2400 by now, but for the rampant massive backlight bleeding...
UPDATE. 1:1 pixel mapping may not work on VGA at 1920x1080 (1080p), see later in this thread (pg. 4)

wowcro said:
Try going to BenQ.com and looking for stores there I believe you can enter your zip and they will give you a list of stores. I tried with Ohio but I didn't have any luck. Also, most likely in the stores they will hook it up via VGA and splice the pic 1 million times thus making the pic miserable...
Nice tip (but only 1 shady "reseller" shows up for me).

I'm thinking of ordering online as well--I'm just waiting for someone to test the G2400W's input lag, or find a link to a 2nd test (but I've been looking with no luck).

I'm looking at this BENQ and the NEC ASLCD24WMCX-BK , I'm losing my mind playing PS3 on my 10 year old 32 inch tv and I dont bother turning on my new Gamming PC I just finished it blows using A 19inch 4:3 LCD after you've used A 24inch for over A month

how do i test for ghosting?

i play wow and it looks fine. it also is fine for playing mass effect on 360.

played 720p, 1080p anime mkv files (ghost in the shell innocence, origin spirit of the past, dennou coil and paprika) look fantastic as does 720p stardust.

If u have FPS game like Call of duty. Play that and tell if theres ghosting or input lag. How about viewing angles are those problem in gaming?
More picture all want to see if possible :=)

Play something with fast motion action. COD4 for example or watch some nba basketball videos.

http://displayblog.wordpress.com/2007/10/18/benq-g2400w-24-lcd-monitor-with-hdmi/

This guy says that lcd's like this don't have the technology to play fast motion video without blurring. He then suggests its in need of 120hz, but most tv's don't have that feature so Im wondering if he means there is other technology that most tv's have to reduce motion blur? What would that be?

TN panels are supposed to have BETTER response but WORSE colour reproduction and viewing angles I thought?

i just got this and dont know what to think at the moment. windows reinstall seemed to go ok, battlefild 2 seemed to work just as i remember on my older hyundai l90d+

i hooked up the ps3 via hdmi to it though and selected 1:1 and noticed allot of what i have to play is a small resolution so that stinks.

but i am noticing jaggy/tearing on all the games i have played thus far like this. i am not sure if that is the source game and normal or not?

as far as ghosting i have not actually been able to pickup on it. at the desktop the games i have tried seem responsive at the mouse and no trails with vsync on.

anything specific i can do to help others make a decision let me know and i will try it out. i do not have access to a camera.

24" LCD's coming in a massive box usually. Dramatically larger than 22" LCD's. That's probably why the heavy shipping fee.

To those worried about color reproduction and viewing angle? Why are you buying a TN then?? Oh wait, because it's $369 :p . Well, quit complaining about it being TN then. You get what you pay for.

Bestbuy here over in Western Canada routinely have the 24" Westinghouse on sale for $399. Might wanna look into that if you are worried about TN. More inputs that also.

This LCD here is for those that need 24" for the absolute lowest price and a better looking TN than other TN's.

It IS relatively dark compared to my 2007WFP. I have to run it at 80-90% brightness. The Benq's is 250 vs 300 for the Dell.

I run my FP241W at 19% brightness. It's a matter of preference imo.

My monitor came in today!

First impressions:

First of all I was kinda disappointed when I saw the box. The protection on it seemed inadequate. Newegg just slapped on a ups shipping tag on it and threw it in the mail. The box came quite dirty and the seal on it was broken probably due to the dirt during shipping.

THE LOOK:
The monitor itself looks a bit cheap. I am not sure what it is but the plastic is just looks like lower quality than my Viewsonic vg2230wm. It is also more susceptible to smudges and finger prints.

THE PICTURE:
It looks real nice. Also to note I am not color deficient or blind. The only deficiency I noted is that the yellows looked a bit on the green side.

THE GAMING:
So far I played about an hour of CoD 4 and EVE Online. Both with I was really happy. I didn't notice anything unusual.

THE BAD:
It came with one stuck pixel. Now I have a small red dot staring at me. This is the only bad thing I can really figure out from the first impressions. I am trying a variety of different things to get the pixel unstuck but I think it is a lost cause. I guess I was playing the odds by now (this is my 4th LCD and first with a stuck pixel).

Please let me know if you want me to run some special tests or let me know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
wowcro

Anybody have best settings for xbox 360 through hdmi , contrast colours etc
at the moment it looks a bit dull on 90 brightness.

Cheers.

Hi all,

I only purchased it today and initial impressions are fairly positive.

I'm not enthused with the controls on the front, but I'm slowly getting used to them. It only has 5 buttons > Auto > Menu > Left > Right > Enter but I've never been a fan of BenQ's control scheme from the FP241W/VW.

The plastic is a bit spartan and the stand only pivots back and forth, it does not go up and down.

So I connected it to my PC via DVI and the PS3 via HDMI. Xbox 360 over VGA will be tried tonight.

There is ZERO input lag on this thing. I briefly ran an input lag test using DVI cloning with my Dell 2005FPW and the BenQ was actually about 6 to 10 milliseconds faster, and the 2005FPW is no slouch in this regard. Both at native resolution (1680x1050 for the Dell, 1920x1200/1080 on the BenQ). Not sure how much interpolation will add, but I'll try that tonight.

Motion blur in gaming was well controlled. Rotating in Gears of War PC and GT Prologue on the PS3 didn't blur much, and pixel resolution seemed pretty intact. Text is sharp and clear with Clear type and without. I have XP 32-bit and Vista 64, so I will try with Vista and clear type and report back.

Viewing angles are decent, but, in actuality very good for a TN display. I saw no banding or weird dithering in color gradations and it is fairly good covering the whole color range that I checked out. It did not come in eye blazing brightness, but I will try and calibrate better over time.

The 1:1 pixel mapping works as advertised. The PC at 1920x1080 worked properly, the PS3 over HDMI had black borders top and bottom, and the "overscan" control in the Advanced picture settings had an effect over HDMI.

No dead pixels. No dead sub pixels. I checked with Pixel Buddy. No buzzing noises, very little heat.

So if nothing changes, and it works well with my 360 over VGA I will definitely keep it and likely be happy. I am a S-IPS snob, but this display is making TN look pretty decent. This monitor seems to do what the FP241W did (when the final firmware came) and looks pretty good doing it. I am not as enthused about the TN panel as I was with the MVA panel in the FP241W, but it's close enough, and for the price (around $400 Canadian) it's a steal IMHO.

Regards,

10e

I did notice a bit of backlight bleed last night. Again this wasn't anything that would bother me too much. I would really recommend this model. I think I was just unlucky with my dead pixel. Who knows maybe it will wake up.

Hi all,
There is ZERO input lag on this thing. I briefly ran an input lag test using DVI cloning with my Dell 2005FPW and the BenQ was actually about 6 to 10 milliseconds faster, and the 2005FPW is no slouch in this regard. Both at native resolution (1680x1050 for the Dell, 1920x1200/1080 on the BenQ). Not sure how much interpolation will add, but I'll try that tonight.
Sweet, someone tested input lag :D
You don't happen to have a CRT around do you? Or any data of 2005FPW vs CRT?

Thanks for posting your review.

Question: is there anyplace selling the G2400W that will refund a non-defective return, or at least give some store credit for a different monitor? I'd just like to see it and use it before committing all that money.

The PS3 plays almost ALL games at 720p.

This will put the monitor into really tiny tiny mode, where the screen is about half full. The Prologue demo is in 1080p and it looks fantastic.

To fix:

Go into the OSD > Advanced Picture > Display Mode > Aspect

Tearing without Vsync will always exist. The panel is fast and shows off all these issues very well. If an LCD panel doesn't show some tearing without Vsync it's probably not that responsive, or uses a fair bit of post processing.

Regards,

10e

i just got this and dont know what to think at the moment. windows reinstall seemed to go ok, battlefild 2 seemed to work just as i remember on my older hyundai l90d+

i hooked up the ps3 via hdmi to it though and selected 1:1 and noticed allot of what i have to play is a small resolution so that stinks.

but i am noticing jaggy/tearing on all the games i have played thus far like this. i am not sure if that is the source game and normal or not?

as far as ghosting i have not actually been able to pickup on it. at the desktop the games i have tried seem responsive at the mouse and no trails with vsync on.

anything specific i can do to help others make a decision let me know and i will try it out. i do not have access to a camera.

I agree Branana,

I missed the boat on the FP241W end-of-life lottery (as I ended up with one in August 2007 and took it back due to overscan) so I ended up with this monitor.

Knowing it's a TN is enough for me to know that vertical viewing angles are OK at best, and compared to the beautiful MVA panel on the FP241W it's a far cry, but the FP241W is gone, and I don't want to touch Westinghouse (U.S. friends had a lot of trouble with them), and the L246WP doesn't have as many useful inputs and the two I tried had dead subpixels :(

But the one thing the L246WP and FP241W (with the last firmware) was 1:1 pixel mapping with my 360 in VGA @ 1920x1080. This G2400W fills the entire screen stretching vertically. Here goes another support call. 1360x768 works perfectly so I'll use that for now, but I'm not gonna buy an Elite just for this.

I guess BenQ can never get it "quite right" on the first shot...

Regards,

10e

24" LCD's coming in a massive box usually. Dramatically larger than 22" LCD's. That's probably why the heavy shipping fee.

To those worried about color reproduction and viewing angle? Why are you buying a TN then?? Oh wait, because it's $369 :p . Well, quit complaining about it being TN then. You get what you pay for.

Bestbuy here over in Western Canada routinely have the 24" Westinghouse on sale for $399. Might wanna look into that if you are worried about TN. More inputs that also.

This LCD here is for those that need 24" for the absolute lowest price and a better looking TN than other TN's.

Wow, I'm certain I've read that 1:1 works perfectly for 360 at 1080p. That's pretty concerning that it stretches yours. Did you try aspect scaling (since it technically should result in 1:1)? I hope to hear you fix the problem!

Hi,

It may work over HDMI with the newer 360 units, but my old VGA version doesn't.

The strange thing is that the OSD reports 1920x1080, but the monitor stretches it.

I plan on contacting BenQ support and see if they are useful at all (doubt it).

I can live with it at 1360x768, as the monitor seems to interpolate nicely, but I'm a bit disappointed by this, considering the FP241W got this right with the last firmware level.

Propedor, I do have a 250lb Sony KV 34HS510 that I could test it against, but I have to bring my PC downstairs to do that, and I doubt there is a difference.

Digital versus lists this monitor as having anywhere between 1 to 3 ms input lag. I believe it. Additionally, the input lag did not change any, if at all with interpolation. I scaled a 1360x768 image up to full res and tried that, and it was almost completely the same (ie. a few ms difference). Less than 1 frame in total.

Regards,

10e

thanks for the input 10e, works great on ps3 :D hmm should of grabbed the NCIX deal on it XD

Hi everyone, I recently bought a G2400W and I wanted to ask you guys to help me out with something.

I plugged in my PC through DVI and the overall first impression I got was very good; nice image quality, good color reproduction, no tearing/ghosting. Then I started playing with the osd settings, switching to sRGB and other display modes; and that's when I noticed something that made my blood boil.

I saw a weird horizontal band at the top of the panel, bout a quarter of the screen high, going all the way from left to right. The strange thing about this band was that it had a slightly different tint/hue than the rest of the screen. It wasn't clearly visible, but from the eyes of a 7-year-old-Hitachi-IPS-owner wasn't that hard to see from close-up. It was particularly noticeable when opening the Firefox bookmarks dropdown list; I could easily see the grey Windows background of the list going slowly from one hue to another when scanning it form top to bottom. After the initial panic, I got deeper into the color settings and finally managed to minimize the issue as far as I could, but I can still see a darker tint on the top.

So I just wanted to ask all the owners of this panel if they could possibly verify if they have the same problem; I absolutely need to know if its a TN panel generic problem or if my monitor is defecting somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

You have a defective monitor.

Mine shows no such defects. It has the typical contrast and color saturation shifts typical of vertical TN viewing angles, but none of what you describe.

It sounds like an electronics or panel issue to me.

Regards,

10e

Well I finally bought one.
Got it from Egg. No stuck or dead pixels...thank God

This has to be the best picture I have ever seen in an LCD.

The only thing is the controls....a little clunky will take some getting used to.

I have one on the way from Tiger direct and I will post a review when I get it.

10e,

Thanks for posting about the VGA 1080p problem. I never noticed in my prior Internet searches--but it looks like other people are having the same issue (see comments on http://www.drainweb.com/?p=95). I saw a review on NCIX mentioning the problem, but it turns out that was you too :)

In any case, until someone gets somewhere talking to BenQ about it, it looks like the G2400W will not display a 1920x1080 (i.e., 1080p) VGA signal without stretching vertically to 1200 lines. Time to look at other monitors some more.

Hmm? Really? No 1:1 on VGA? I have to try this out then since I have both an official VGA cable and an Xbox360 Falcon with HDMI.

Unless you have a special newer firmware (mine is a Dec '07 build) I think you will see the 1:1 problem in VGA.

You can see it even with a PC set up through VGA at 1920x1080. The OSD will show 1920x1080, but the "Aspect" and 1:1 options in "Advanced Picture" are grayed out and cannot be adjusted. In fact, the whole "display mode" item in Advanced picture is greyed out.

What's strange is the old FP241W had an issue with a 360 over VGA at 1920x1080, but not with a PC through VGA at that rez, whereas the G2400W does with both PC and 360.

Like I've said though, before, it's a very good monitor. I don't notice any TN tricks like FRC or dithering in bands of colour. On Lagom.nl on one gray gradient there is like ONE little band whereas my 2005WFP does not show it, but otherwise the screen is excellent for a TN panel.

Regards,

10e

Yeah that was me.

I spray post to make sure any issues are well known. I don't fanboy anything at all.

You might want to look at the NEC LCD24WMCX. It looks like a winner. Add component and also has all the bells and whistles. I think it's a TN panel, but there are doubts floating around as NEC lists it at 178/178 viewing angles, but other "insiders" have said it's TN.

I am trying a new BenQ FP241VW soon as well. Apparently the Dec 07 build has newer firmware that fixes all the issues (like the September 2007 firmware for the FP241W) and I'll let you know (in this thread) how that turns out.

Good luck,

10e

Hi all please forgive my ignorance but since you don't get 1:1 through 360 vga cant you just set it to 1920x1080 and then manually adjust it to look like 1:1? Or is that not possible? Thanks.

Back