BenQ G2400W

Hi all please forgive my ignorance but since you don't get 1:1 through 360 vga cant you just set it to 1920x1080 and then manually adjust it to look like 1:1? Or is that not possible? Thanks.

Nope. Tried that too. Did nothing. Played with clock phases and other adjustments 'till my fingers hurt.

Nothing worked.

Regards,

10e

The PS3 plays almost ALL games at 720p.

This will put the monitor into really tiny tiny mode, where the screen is about half full. The Prologue demo is in 1080p and it looks fantastic.

To fix:

Go into the OSD > Advanced Picture > Display Mode > Aspect

Tearing without Vsync will always exist. The panel is fast and shows off all these issues very well. If an LCD panel doesn't show some tearing without Vsync it's probably not that responsive, or uses a fair bit of post processing.

Regards,

10e

i just downloaded the prologue and it looks like a clean image except there are terrible stair stepping jaggies? is there something im missing or are you playing from so far back that you do not notice?

like the same way games like bf2 look before applying anti aliasing?

it is so bad for me with all these ps3 games and the jaggies that i cannot play them on this monitor.

Hey Damac,

I hear ya.

I find that between the PS3 and the 360, the 360 looks better at high resolutions, whereas the PS3 plays all games (except the Prologue GT) in 720P. I found that the Prologue demo looks great, but there is a bit of aliasing, whereas with the 360, it seems to have a better scaler chip that provides some anti aliasing, reducing the jaggies.

Mind you, only a PC with a sufficiently powerful vid card combo can play most modern games (except for Crysis) with anti aliasing at 1920x1200 or 1080.

I sit fairly close and I notice the jaggies (which are really bad in PS3 NHL 08) but I can live with them.

Regards,

10e

Hey 10e just got the monitor myself thanks for the heads-up on the 360 resolution. Any image settings to share or suggest especially for color? Thanks.

MSRP: 449

You can get it for 365 now and now just waiting for it to go on sale great value :D

Here's what I am doing for the PC, but your mileage may vary. I have a window behind me so during the day I run a bit on the bright side.

I'm running in Aspect (in advanced) with the 360 over VGA and the PS3, and 1:1 for the DVI (PC)

For the colour settings I am using the "User colour mode" with R: 98, G: 96, B: 84. I find this monitor leans a bit towards the green shades, especially when viewed from slightly lower angles.

Brightness at 90, Contrast at 50. I find with the contrast turned up it makes lighter colours almost white very quickly. This seems to be a bit brighter for the PS3, so for HDMI I tried lower brightness at 75 and it worked well for me.

Hope that helps,

10e

Hey 10e just got the monitor myself thanks for the heads-up on the 360 resolution. Any image settings to share or suggest especially for color? Thanks.

I'm noticing a problem with my G2400W,

When I have the video card put the monitor to sleep via power saving, it refuses to turn back on. The power light stays orange and I have to physically shut 'er off. Anyone else experiencing this?

I've tried it with different computers, different ports on the vid card, and a dual link, and single link cable, and nothing seems to fix it.

Hmmmm.

10e

I have just received my G2400W and my initial impressions are quite favorable. I will post a more thorough review in a day or two of use.

I have been debating about this monitor or the Westy L2410NM.

My LCD monitor is used exclusively for PC gaming. I have a 42" LCD tv for all my console gaming. Hence 1:1 mapping, any kind of issues like that don't concern me all that much.

I basically need the best value for PC gaming, lots of FPS games. Viewing angles are not much of a concern, again because I pretty much sit right in front of it gaming as I use the TV for other things. So low response time, no input lag are key.

I would like to stay at $500 or less too.

Have any of you used both of these, or would this cover the bases for my needs?

I'm noticing a problem with my G2400W,

When I have the video card put the monitor to sleep via power saving, it refuses to turn back on. The power light stays orange and I have to physically shut 'er off. Anyone else experiencing this?

I've tried it with different computers, different ports on the vid card, and a dual link, and single link cable, and nothing seems to fix it.

Hmmmm.

10e

Mine turned back on. I set power saving to turn it off after one minute and the power button went orange as you described, but went right back to being green and turning on properly.

mine turns back on from low power mode just fine, there will be a second or two of the purple benq energy star screen is all.

how come when i hook something up to the monitor via hdmi, there is no sound coming from the monitors speakers?

i was just messing around with bf2, native rez, all graphics/sound turned up, 16x aa, vsync, and its running awesome :) i have my mouse sensitivity turned up in game and in the control panel, and i can throw it around and have the screen react instantly without a hint of ghosting.

i tried out ps3 blu ray movie and transformers on hdvd and ugh in movie mode on the monitor they look like grainy washed out colored crap.

im totally cool with the monitor on the pc side, but before i bought it i did think i possibly was getting the best all in one choice for the game machines, etc.

i really dont understand the technologies and tech talk, but i will leave the movie playing and game playing from consoles up to the big theatre tvs. its still hard for me to understand why i see no difference in supposed high quality high def movie titles, and dvd transfers on this monitor. you can get way higher quality picture by using it with the windows pc.

Strictly for FPS gaming the BenQ is hands down a better monitor.

I am using both the G2400W and the L2410NM as we speak, but I'm typing on the Westy.

For FPS games the BenQ is a better choice. I've done input lag tests and the BenQ is showing 1 to 5ms lag, and the Westinghouse is showing 16 to 33ms, making the BenQ a faster twitch panel.

I use the Westy for Xbox 360 over VGA, and PC use, and the G2400W for PC use (second port for gaming) and PS3.

Funny enough the G2400W is the monitor with the 1:1 pixel mapping and overscan options built in.

Regards,

10e

I have been debating about this monitor or the Westy L2410NM.

My LCD monitor is used exclusively for PC gaming. I have a 42" LCD tv for all my console gaming. Hence 1:1 mapping, any kind of issues like that don't concern me all that much.

I basically need the best value for PC gaming, lots of FPS games. Viewing angles are not much of a concern, again because I pretty much sit right in front of it gaming as I use the TV for other things. So low response time, no input lag are key.

I would like to stay at $500 or less too.

Have any of you used both of these, or would this cover the bases for my needs?

You were the perfect man for my dilemma, you own both of my choices. Glad to hear from someone with first hand experience on both. Guess my mind is made up.

Hey,

I would suggest you play with the settings.

Try the different settings with the < button (third from the left) when you watch movies and if you don't like what you see, check out the colour menu and contrast/brightness settings and see if you can find a happy medium. None of the basic settings were very good in my mind (dark and washed out) until I messed with it and it's better now. It's a far cry from a S-IPS or M-VA panel but it can be pretty good, and no eye searing brightness like we get from those other panels.

Computer monitors do NO post processing, so whatever the PS3 gives, they take and display, which also is why input lag is so low on the BenQ. Same with the 360. My Westinghouse L2410NM smooths out lower resolutions nicely, but it's a bit of a different beast.

There are no speakers by the way, just a headphone jack, and a volume control in the menus. The headphone jack seems to work pretty well.

how come when i hook something up to the monitor via hdmi, there is no sound coming from the monitors speakers?

i was just messing around with bf2, native rez, all graphics/sound turned up, 16x aa, vsync, and its running awesome :) i have my mouse sensitivity turned up in game and in the control panel, and i can throw it around and have the screen react instantly without a hint of ghosting.

i tried out ps3 blu ray movie and transformers on hdvd and ugh in movie mode on the monitor they look like grainy washed out colored crap.

im totally cool with the monitor on the pc side, but before i bought it i did think i possibly was getting the best all in one choice for the game machines, etc.

i really dont understand the technologies and tech talk, but i will leave the movie playing and game playing from consoles up to the big theatre tvs. its still hard for me to understand why i see no difference in supposed high quality high def movie titles, and dvd transfers on this monitor. you can get way higher quality picture by using it with the windows pc.

Speakers? You might want to check your vision. :D

My Spyder 3 Elite color calibrator has arrived. I am just now waiting for a BluRay disc to arrive before I post a full review. So far thing's are looking good.

Brightness 250 cd/&#13217;
Contrast Ratio 1000:1

dont think this is possible. contrast ratio cant be more than double the brightness cd/m on an LCD

Brightness 250 cd/&#13217;
Contrast Ratio 1000:1

dont think this is possible. contrast ratio cant be more than double the brightness cd/m on an LCD

Sure it can. You just need a lower black level. Almost every monitor has black less than 1 and several make it under 0.3.

250/.25 = 1000.

Can someone please explain the different presets on the monitor especially the sRGB one? Thanks.

The sRGB colour mode is a preset that covers the sRGB colour space, mostly for digital photography.

I don't use it, as it seems to turn everything yellowish.

Regards,

10e

just ordered this off newegg. Can't wait till it gets here. Sure hope it doesn't have any pixel issues!

Hello all, I used this thread to help convince me to buy this monitor. Well i ordered Wednesday off newegg and received it Friday. Thought I'd go ahead and register and answer any questions anyone might have about the monitor.

For the record i am going from a Dell 2407 A02 to this monitor. So far the only "complaint" I could say i have is that the stand has no height adjustment, but i did know that before hand.

I have the monitor hooked up as follows PC -DVI, Xbox360 - VGA, Ps3 - HDMI. The IQ on all the inputs is very good, unlike the Dell which looked good on some and horrible on others.( Component )

BTW - No dead or stuck pixels.

So if anyone wants to know anything just ask.

I still have time to cancel my order...should I...lol?

What games or movies have you played on it if any? Any ghosting, tearing, lag, etc?

No don't cancel it, I've played Uncharted, Mlb 08 the show, and Army of Two (360), looks great on both systems. Watched spiderman 3 on bluray on the screen and it looked great. It does take a little work to get it to look great but not overly difficult. No Ghosting or lag and i haven't noticed any tearing.

I'm really confused as to how I will be able to use an hdmi upconverting dvd player to watch normal dvd's at 1080p.

If I buy a dvd player with 1080p upconversion and hook it up to this monitor via HDMI, can I still use my 5.1 computer speakers for sound which run off of my onboard sound? Or is there an easier way to use my lite-on dvd-rw drive with software to upconvert regular dvd's to 1080p? I'm so confused

I'm not 100% sure about your's but my dvd player allows for Hdmi video with using the normal red and white composit cables with a adapter to the Line in port on my x-fi.

What type of DVD Player is it and what type of speakers do you have?

Theoretically you can do all of this by pushing sound out of the dvd player via optical to your 5.1 speaker system (or coax if need be), or pushing sound out of HDMI and then putting a cable on the headphones jack of the G2400W. With my PS3 I push sound out optical to my 5.1 receiver and let HDMI display video only.

But if you want 5.1 surround sound, best not use the monitor for this.

10e

I'm really confused as to how I will be able to use an hdmi upconverting dvd player to watch normal dvd's at 1080p.

If I buy a dvd player with 1080p upconversion and hook it up to this monitor via HDMI, can I still use my 5.1 computer speakers for sound which run off of my onboard sound? Or is there an easier way to use my lite-on dvd-rw drive with software to upconvert regular dvd's to 1080p? I'm so confused

Hey there,

Have you tried the 360 over 1920*1080 over VGA to the monitor and chosen 1:1 for picture on the monitor's OSD? I did and it stretched it vertically, filling the screen. Just curious. My build date is September 2007 (listed on the box and the back sticker). 1360*768 and most other resolutions worked properly.

I bought a monitor arm to defeat the non-height adjustable stand.

Otherwise how do you like it?

Regards,

10e

Hello all, I used this thread to help convince me to buy this monitor. Well i ordered Wednesday off newegg and received it Friday. Thought I'd go ahead and register and answer any questions anyone might have about the monitor.

For the record i am going from a Dell 2407 A02 to this monitor. So far the only "complaint" I could say i have is that the stand has no height adjustment, but i did know that before hand.

I have the monitor hooked up as follows PC -DVI, Xbox360 - VGA, Ps3 - HDMI. The IQ on all the inputs is very good, unlike the Dell which looked good on some and horrible on others.( Component )

BTW - No dead or stuck pixels.

So if anyone wants to know anything just ask.

I wish i could buy a monitor arm but i am unable to hang this monitor off the wall. As far as the xbox 360 vga 1:1 i'm unable to change it. Display Mode is unselectable in anything but HDMI. Maybe i'm not adjusting it correctly?

Xr7,

I have the same issue. If I switch the 360 to 1360x768 and then enter the OSD, the monitor will allow me to select 1:1, aspect, fill etc.... but when I switch the 360 to 1920x1080 in VGA the monitor gives no options and greys out the control.

Just wanted to see if you had the problem too.

BTW, my monitor arm is an Ergotron that connects/clamps to my desk. I also HATE putting holes in the walls at home.

Regards,

10e

I set it to 1:1 under hdmi then went back to vga and mine behaves the same way. It does overscan at 1920x1080 and go 1:1 for other resolutions.

Hey 10e, I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure you ever got it, so here it is: Just wanted to thank you for all the useful information you've given in my threads. It's been extremely helpful, and I appreciate the help! If you had to pick between the G2400W and the L2410NM for a gaming, Photoshop, TV, and text reading, which one would it be? I have it narrowed down to these two. Thanks again for the help!

Can't beat the price for $39.99. I paid more than that, but mine is a clamp type stand.

This will work perfectly for the G2400W. It really is a very light monitor. I remember taking it out of the box and thinking that it was only about 10 lbs.

I'd get it. Looks good, and portrait mode for a 24" is a bit big and tall.

Regards

10e

I'm thinking of trying this stand: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824994001

It does say 22" and 16lbs limit. The benq is bigger but lighter than that and i don't really care about ever rotating the monitor i just want to be able to lift it up a little.

Or is there an easier way to use my lite-on dvd-rw drive with software to upconvert regular dvd's to 1080p?

It's possible, but it's very complicated and I don't recommend it. Just get a standalone dvd player with 1080p upconversion. Remember, just because an HDMI cable CAN transport audio, doesn't mean you have to use it to transport your audio. You can connect your speakers the same way you would with any old non-HDMI dvd player if you wish.

I just got a G2400W today. Can I ask you guys what settings you're using? I love the monitor, btw.

Back