BenQ V2400 Eco - New LED Backlit Display

p4gs

Limp Gawd
V2400 and V2200 are 24" and 22" displays.

http://www.benq.com/press/news.cfm?id=2471&cat=1&year=2009

With Samsung's XL2370 looking like it won't be released in America as soon as we thought it would (not an unexpected turn of events), this is good news.

Presumably TN. For those who loathe TNs, it's not really any great news other than the fact that more and more manufacturers are looking towards producing their new displays with LED backlights. This could mean a new e-IPS display with LED backlights in the near future.

TN is a safe assumption.
BenQ hasn't done anything nicer since they discontinued the FP241 displays AFAIK =/

I read some time ago that LED displays aren't necessarily full LED (LED on the outer border), is this history now? Are there any specs on the LED count/density on these monitors?

I read some time ago that LED displays aren't necessarily full LED (LED on the outer border), is this history now? Are there any specs on the LED count/density on these monitors?
Typically it means LED backlit vs. CCFL backlit.

Density, or being just on the outer border is fairly irrelevant to worry about as long as the lighting is spread in a uniform fashion.

Last edited:

Typically it means LED backlit vs. CCFL backlit.

Density, or being just on the outer border is fairly irrelevant to worry about as long as the lighting is spread in a uniform fashion.

Yeah, this isn't history yet. I think some of Samsung's new PAVV LCD TVs have local dimming technology, but everything else is typically edge-lit LEDs.

Also, I heard that some older monitors that use a matrix of LED backlights had uniformity issues which were sometimes a lot worse than CCFL edge lit displays. So LED matrix backlighting also has downsides I suppose.

probably nothing that is very noticeable other than the screen brightness not taking awhile to reach its set peak after being turned on

I have the BenQ V2400 will this LED version be much better?

I don't think so. The V2400W has a 1920x1200 resolution, the V2400 Eco is 1920x1080 so you'd be losing resolution. The V2400W has DVI, HDMI, and VGA inputs. The V2400 Eco has just HDMI and VGA. So if you have your PC and a gaming console (PS3 or X-Box 360) hooked up to your monitor, you'd have to buy an additional HDMI switch if you get the Eco. On top of that, I've seen no indication that this thing supports 1:1 pixel mapping like the V2400W did.

What I really want is 1920x1200 LED backlit in a 22" model.
Now that would be perfect.

last days i was wondering to replace my E2200HD (with one little red subpixel) with V2200 Eco. i have both for few days and i was comparing them.
in my opinion E2200HD is still much better.
for the first in V2200 you have some issue with led backlight on black screen. the center of screen is much brigher. ofcourse LCDs have some brighter backlighted edges but in my opinion E2200HD looks great and only on the bottom edge have some brighter part of the black screen. from my observation E2200 is in the high class in classic backlighted TN panels. V2200 looks worse with his center issue. V2200 have some presets like Eco, Standard, sRGB, Picture, Film and Game. in E2200HD you'll find only Standard, sRGB, Picture, Film and Dynamic. i said only because only in Standard mode you can modify some parameters like sharpness. it's important because E2200HD have very efective sharpness setting. in presets (except Standard mode where you have value 3 - great for text) you have hard setted value 1 of sharpness. great for films, games, pictures but not for text because letters are oversharped (you can check it in Firefox window menu where letters have bright halo edges). It would be nice to have two presets where you can change sharpness because its much usefull. and V2200 have Standard and Eco mode where you can modify that - great! but sharpness in V2200 is much worse. you cannot set it that much that letters have halos (pictres, games and films look better on that setting in E2200). so scale of sharpness in E2200 is bigger and much effective.
presets in V2200 are also worse factory setted in others parameters. Eco, Standard and sRGB could be accepted but Picture mode is huge oversaturated and its going to warm yellow too much. Problems are with details especially with contrast colours like for exp. red. Picture mode in E2200 is also oversaturated for me but the difrence is huge and comparing to V2200 is looking really great. others presets in E2200 like Film and Dynamic are also better setted. they have deeper black, and good saturated colors - in games or film its usefull. but in V2200 Benq set color much brighter and pastel - why?!! in those presets monitor goes too bright and colors in game or film looks ugly. Standard and sRGB modes also looks more natural in E2200. maybe if you are looking from some distance, i mean few metters or on photos from distance presented in internet the colours in Standard, sRGB or Picture in V2200 looks better but if you'll seat and work with this monitor there is huge advantage of E2200 which looks much natural, smooth, deeper and better callibrated. i was really disappointed.
i was looking for some led benefits in http://www.lagom.nl/ lcd test screens but...
in black level test i was trying many settings to find first four squares - no way. maybe it's my amatour fault but after few hours i gived up. in E2200 i haven't any problem to do that. strange is that if you click auto button V2200 goes bright for a moment and you'll see all squares for a few secnds - but i can't set that manual. maybe i'm going wrong or something. but in white saturation test E2200 was also about two squares better than V2200 - another zonk for me :eek: Gradient (banding) test - E2200 have much smoother than V2200 :O - now i'm shocked! in contrast test the same - V2200 is over contrasted so colors near high key are burned. you can chack that with your pictures - you have to set contrast to about 70% if you wanna have more details in high key places. of course V2200 is brighter so you'll find always brighter shadows with details like... some artifacts or oversaturated plams, noise. really i dont find this bright as advantage comparing to E2200 which has enough details in shadows. you have to also know that when you are adjusting down contrast to improve high key colours the low keys are going dark - worse comparing to E2200. so for me dynamic range in E2200 is also better then in new V2200 Eco. when you go down in http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php you'll find some dithering test. in E2200 you'll find solid dark but in V2200 i found efect like in Temporal dithering picture on lagom.nl - really ugly. the point is that this temporal dithering is visible not only in dark levels but also in much higher colours. but in this point i must say that i was using d-sub because of lack of DVI port and HDMI cable. for me its really stupid marketing because for Benq this cable is not much valuable so the difrence from lack of it in price is little. but if you wanna buy cable only its much valuable - shop price for accessories are much higher cost for client and monitor with cable in pocket win the price comparission i think. also guys who designed navigation keys are idiots. why? try to navigate with OSD and you'll understand me ;) but navigation in E2200 is the same, shame. i didn't test V2200 for this issue http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1404483 but last day when i was moving (by hlding mouse cursor) little bright window on my Vista desktop i was shocked again. it was little window from Firefox (about 1/8 of screen) and when i was slowly moving it...it was always static breaking for some horizontal halfparts. not some edges or shadows artifacts - whole window some milimeters break! first part was going faster and then the second was moving after to join halfsecond later. i test also my E2200 and haven't seen something like that - everything was ok. i was comparing horizontal angle of looking and haven't found advantage of V2200, any.

what i liked in V2200? the grey level are better calibrated then in E2200. i mean in E2200 you'll find greys going little yellow. in V2200 greys looking good without yellow tone. also design is great. soft and mate white plastic is really fantastic looking :) the green holder is placed well so if you are waiting for something, your fingers just go there to play rotate this funny thing. it's also very usefull for yellow paper sticks if you use it - so save the frame :))

so after W2286L which you'll find on http://www.digitalversus.com/ it's look like V2200 Eco is another poor TN led panel.
maybe it's because i'm real amatour an didn't use any callibrating professionall tool. maybe because it was on d-sub, don't know...but i'm near sure that my E2200 with little red sub is still better. sorry for poor english

Last edited:
another LED monitor from Benq - G2222HDL.
again TN but for internet or office applications, games or films it should be good choice.
you'll enjoy slight lag and above all very regular and deep black (havn't problems like in V2200) all of the screen. also with wide viewing you'll enjoy both games and movies.
you'll not find any characteristic for classic lit panels brighten areas at the edges - which is very annoying during movies or games play.
1920x1080 high resolution at this size will give the panel a very detailed and sharp image. scaling is done well so playing at lower resolutions are not a problem (if it became necessary).

advantage is that in addition to the classic factory profiles (Video, Photos, etc.) display also has two fully definable by the user (Standard and Eco).
it is very convenient because not all manufacturers allow up to two customizable settings, and mostly you just need two - a dynamic and cost effective for the eye.

monitor has DVI, d-sub and lack of HDMI.

this time i used my DVI E2200 against DVI G2222HDL and didn't found dithering test problem on lagom http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
so maybe I decided too quickly about V2200 Eco (only d-sub testing)

in black level test G2222 was better than V2200 but still E2200 looks the best about finding squares

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php scroling the mouse sometimes resulted in a color change to yellow (all screen) for a while - don't know why (E2200 was stable in clone mode at the same time)

I was also callibrating by this tool:
http://eat86.internetdsl.tpnet.pl/photo/books/calib/img/220.png
http://www.obiektywni.pl/czytelnia/artykul-204-2.php
you can use google translator to get the point

this monitor looks like could be very well calibrated according to AIM DTP target.
I liked that it has very clean gray - many LCDs has yellow banding in grays.
It is also positive that the red is not jumping from the screen. but reds and greens was a bit warmer - too much for me. But I did not have enough time to play with colors more accurately.
from calibrated profiles I liked sRGB mode (good for human skin tones) and film (here, green and red regains its cooler color).

simple black design with no silver fireworks for me also a considerable advantage.
drawback is the location of navigation buttons, which are traditionally for Benq designed by some idiot - they are completely illogic and deeper operations in the OSD you will repeatedly be ruined. also lack of DVI cable isn't good idea.

that's all

Last edited:
you'll not find any characteristic for classic lit panels brighten areas at the edges - which is very annoying during movies or games play.

By this do you mean the G2222HDL does NOT have any backlight bleed?

I'm looking at getting 3x of the G2222HDLs to run Eyefinity, as they are pretty cheap, similar price to a cheap non-LED 23" or 24".

No (or very little) backlight bleed is a must for me as I will be using it for movies, and dark scenes in movies look crap with backlight bleed.

Back