Best Buy Dynex Case Fugly? Nah...

Staypuft

Gawd
From fugly to bland in 5 minutes

casety2.jpg
case2iy9.jpg

Simple paint job makes it all better. Front vent and floppy drive coated with Flat Black Rustoleum Pro and buffed with a cloth. OK, so I was bored this weekend. This case is the worth every cent of $20.

Got a before pic? Curious to see a before and after view. :)

Thats not true, it depends on the store what the price will be. Its a clearance price. Those vary by store. Also, they don't have to do a price match for you since it is a clearance item.

I stand corrected.

Today i went to BB look for the shelf where the case would be and it was empty.
I spoke to an associate and ask to see if they had it on stock. He checked and no they didnt but he told he could check to see if the warehouse has it, i told him go ahead as long as i could get it for the price (which mark 19.99 in the shelf label).
So the associate comes back and tell me that they got 2 on their warehouse and they could order them if i pay up front at customer service.
So i went to customer service and request to order the cases they went ahead and order them told me if i wanted them delivered to my house for free, I said hell yeah.
When i was about to pay they said its $172 and i was wait a second the label marks 19.99 and the associate said i could have it for the price.
The associate who took care of me had only 2 days working there so they said this guy didnt know what was going on but they will honor the deal so they went ahead and charge me $43 dollars for 2 cases ship to my house which will arrive on 04/07/08.
All this took at least 30min of talking to different people they were all cool but it took some time.
So if anybody still want to take a chance go ahead you might get lucky.

mine still in the box.. still waiting for someone here to sell me a cheap c2d for like 50-60 bux shipped *hint! hint!* :D but anyway that case don't look that bad for 20 bux with psu too.

How did you get the grill out? Mine is attached with plastic clips that are MELTED in an upward position over the plasic rivits made to hold it. Unless they are re-melted upwards there is clearly no way to remove this thing without breaking the clips.

The fugly silver sides to the bezel are also removable. I think they could use a paint job as well.

The grille is made of metal, so I just used needle nosed pliers and bent them all up straight. Had to wiggle it out carefully, then back in carefully. One is blocked by a flexible plastic piece of the power button. Just gently hold that out of the way and bend the tab straight.

Was planning to do the sides next.

Here ya go

Pull straight up and filter pops out
screenwb0.jpg

Bend tabs up and straight so they fit thru slots
tabsjf2.jpg

Inside with spare parts in the case to test
insidedi4.jpg

Power Supply
psupq6.jpg

You should really paint them teal tabs there pretty fugly lol other than that it looks good.

I would personally replace the psu tho i woulnt really trust that one.

the $50 Rocketfish (lian-li) tower is a WAY better deal.
It all depends on what you are looking for.

Both that case and this one are clearance items that you have to be LUCKY to find at a local BB. The Rocketfish also varies alot more in clearance price. To find one at BB is lucky, to get it for $50 is even more lucky.

After buying a PSU the Rocketfish is gonna run you a minimum of $100.

Yeah it looks cooler. Yeah its easier to work in.

I bet my current rig would perform just the same with $70 taped to the front of it as it would in the Rocketfish w/ a fancy PSU.

Here ya go

Pull straight up and filter pops out
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/5186/screenwb0.jpg

Bend tabs up and straight so they fit thru slots
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2869/tabsjf2.jpg

Inside with spare parts in the case to test
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1821/insidedi4.jpg

Power Supply
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/5450/psupq6.jpg

I'll be dizamned, it is indeed metal. It felt alot like plastic. I think Im going to paint mine black too in the next few days.

Both that case and this one are clearance items that you have to be LUCKY to find at a local BB. The Rocketfish also varies alot more in clearance price. To find one at BB is lucky, to get it for $50 is even more lucky.

After buying a PSU the Rocketfish is gonna run you a minimum of $100.

Yeah it looks cooler. Yeah its easier to work in.

I bet my current rig would perform just the same with $70 taped to the front of it as it would in the Rocketfish w/ a fancy PSU.

Lucky? I doubt it. There seem to be plenty floating around.
buying a PSU...why? Most people here have a psu they would be moving into it. The psu argument is bunk.

yes..it looks cooler and is nicer to work with, thats the point.

again: $50 for something nice or $20 for crap.

I'll take something nice.

You should really paint them teal tabs there pretty fugly lol other than that it looks good.

I would personally replace the psu tho i woulnt really trust that one.

The teal crap is only inside and this thing has no window. Some of it is rubber and paint hates rubber. Besides, these are going to someone else for a cheap LAN gaming setup where cost was a concern. He is full aware the risk of the power supply. I had fun with this particular case mod and may keep one with my own PSU and gaming setup.

The case is far from crap for $20, maybe not so worthy at full BB retail tho.
the $50 Rocketfish (lian-li) tower is a WAY better deal.
These were all ordered online, free ship, no gas, no searching, enough to build 3 cheap gamers for $10+ the price of an empty metal shell. Woohoo. Comparison to the Rocketfish easter egg hunt deal makes no sense. Aren't you in the wrong thread? Here let me help you....link and link2
Or, you could comment on this mod... up to you

Lucky? I doubt it. There seem to be plenty floating around.
buying a PSU...why? Most people here have a psu they would be moving into it. The psu argument is bunk.

yes..it looks cooler and is nicer to work with, thats the point.

again: $50 for something nice or $20 for crap.

I'll take something nice.

The PSU argument is not bunk, in fact its the whole point.

If you had a nice PSU to move into a nice case, why would one even consider this dynex case? The point is you cant really do better for <$24 out the door.

Again, it all depends on what you are looking for.

My current rig would be considered 'garbage' by some people. I have a good job, I make good money. I could easily afford prime components. The fact that I run what I do for the price I pay is the pleasure that I receive from my builds.

The teal crap is only inside and this thing has no window. Some of it is rubber and paint hates rubber. Besides, these are going to someone else for a cheap LAN gaming setup where cost was a concern. He is full aware the risk of the power supply. I had fun with this particular case mod and may keep one with my own PSU and gaming setup.

The case is far from crap for $20, maybe not so worthy at full BB retail tho.

These were all ordered online, free ship, no gas, no searching, enough to build 3 cheap gamers for $10+ the price of an empty metal shell. Woohoo. Comparison to the Rocketfish easter egg hunt deal makes no sense. Aren't you in the wrong thread? Here let me help you....link
Couldnt put it better my self. I have 2 of these cases, they will both likely end up with friends and/or as side systems.

nice work Staypuft.. mine still in the box waiting for some more funds to complete it..

Taking off the silver sides of the bezel..

You will need to brute force pry some things, but be careful not to break clips. If you've ever taken apart a notebook things should feel familiar.

Start with the top area where the optical drives go:
2ic4f3a.jpg

Right side (when facing case) partly removed:
286zvoi.jpg

The worst part... left side (when facing case) I managed to get each of the clips of the silver panels unclipped and unscaled excluding this clip... its hidden very well under a clip used for snapping the bezel into the case and is very hard to access.
r7n96d.jpg

Heres a pic of my guts in the case: (sorry to minorly threadcrap)
6yfm04.jpg

i finally put this to use for htpc intel e2200 and a cheap arse ECS combo for 80 bux at fry's and the rest are ATI HD3450 2 gig of crucial and vista ultimate 32 bit thanks to MS. my only issue is with the psu, is when i turn off the comp the psu still runs or the fan. not really sure if it's running or not all i know the fan still running. anyone knows what's wrong here. i know it wasn't lilke the the first few days i had it running. it just started doing this yesterday. thanks for any help.

i wouldnt use the dynex psu anyway. rocketfish ftw

:rolleyes:, glad you chimed in...

As for the fan, how long does it run after shutdown. Could be the system isn't signaling the PSU to stand by. Could be faulty PSU circuitry as well. Have you unplugged the supply from the wall?

Back