Best Way Clone/Migrate To 840 EVO?

msny

2[H]4U
Been out of hardware scene for a couple of years and need advice.
I'm sort of techie but old school.

Have a small Intel 120gb SSD I want to Clone/Migrate to a 500 gb
Samsung 840 EVO SSD. Only thing on the Intel drive is Windows 7
Home Premium 64 bit and a few apps.

Should I use the Migration Software on Samsung's website or is there
a better solution?

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Any tips or ticks appreciated, thank you

The drive should have come with migration software, most of them do. Samsung comes with it's own, Crucials come with Acronis, etc.

I've used both of the above on HDD->SSD and SSD->SSD and they've always worked perfectly for me.

It's usually just install, click next next next, reboot, install new drive, and done.

There's a free one called macrium that i've had good luck with.

Clone the drive and extend the partition since the evo is larger.

I'd try the samsung first.

Samsung's Software has been pretty solid over the 50+ clones that I've done in the last few months.

Agreed. Just cloned my OS, apps, and games with the software that came with my Evo last week. Worked perfectly...even renamed my drives for me.

There's a free one called macrium that i've had good luck with.

Clone the drive and extend the partition since the evo is larger.

I'd try the samsung first.

Another vote for Macrium Reflect. Clean UI, very intuitive to use.

I always use Paragon Migrate OS to SSD. It kicks ass every time.

I've probably cloned over 200 computers to 840 evo's and have yet to use their bundled software, so i couldn't say how well it works.

Thanks everybody.

I will make note of everything, looks like there are options
which is always good.

Agreed. Just cloned my OS, apps, and games with the software that came with my Evo last week. Worked perfectly...even renamed my drives for me.

Is it true that you don't get the full SSD read/write speeds when you clone?

Is it true that you don't get the full SSD read/write speeds when you clone?

If you don't align the sectors properly, this would be true. A good clone software should be aware of the destination alignment requirements and handle this for you.

You'd think i have a vested interest in the company (i don't), but Paragon's software does handle this automatically. And there is also Paragon Alignment Tool to check any drive, ssd or hdd, and optimize it's alignment.

Just use Samsung's software.
Did it last night......HDD > 850 Pro.

Samsung software was effortless, took about 15 minutes.

I used the Samsung migration program.
Two small issues.

After cloning I left the original Intel SSD with the system still on it.
My BIOS seemed confused as to which drive to boot from in Windows 7.
Windows just said choose "Windows 7".black screen. After several reboots
and finessing the BIOS settings I disconnected the old Intel drive and its all fine.
I have several other HDD data drives also.

My strategy was to leave the old drive in the box until I'm sure the
Samsung is working ok, then format.

Second, backup services were totally disabled after the clone.

Other then these two issue, all works well so far.

All coming software is the same, minus the few extra options that come with the software itself.

I've always used clonezilla and works like a charm. then go into windows and expand the partition.

Samsung Migration did the partition, format and cloning in one step.

Yup, it works pretty well.

My only problem is that UPlay and Origin can't find my game files.
I have the games stored and D/L to a mechanical HDD.
The only thing on my SSD is the OS and a few random apps, plus UPlay launcher and Origin Launcher.
If I use the launcher (client) it can't find the games even though I've redirected the client to the proper drive location in the settings menu.

If I make a shortcut directly from the game menu, I can play the game just fine, but it won't download any patches......because the client thinks the game isn't installed.

Maybe I need to delete the client and reinstall?

No problem at all with Steam, same setup.

Yup, it works pretty well.

My only problem is that UPlay and Origin can't find my game files.
I have the games stored and D/L to a mechanical HDD.
The only thing on my SSD is the OS and a few random apps, plus UPlay launcher and Origin Launcher.
If I use the launcher (client) it can't find the games even though I've redirected the client to the proper drive location in the settings menu.

If I make a shortcut directly from the game menu, I can play the game just fine, but it won't download any patches......because the client thinks the game isn't installed.

Maybe I need to delete the client and reinstall?

No problem at all with Steam, same setup.

Is there a config file that's pointing to a different drive letter as suggested?
Maybe all you need do is delete it and let your programs recreate it on next run.

Also, if you don't manually set the all drive letters to what they were before
migrating then files can be orphaned on other drives from there shortcuts.

Is there a config file that's pointing to a different drive letter as suggested?
Maybe all you need do is delete it and let your programs recreate it on next run.

Also, if you don't manually set the all drive letters to what they were before
migrating then files can be orphaned on other drives from there shortcuts.

I can only assume it had something to do with the clone changing the drive letters.....which it did.
I think you are correct....

I'm going to delete the UPlay Launcher and re-D/L it.
I would guess it will then find my drive with the games stored on it and all will be well.:D

The Samsung software clearly states to remove the old drive after the cloning process is done.

Of course it had trouble figuring out which drive to boot from. Both were set to active and had the same drive letter assigned.

The Samsung software clearly states to remove the old drive after the cloning process is done.

Of course it had trouble figuring out which drive to boot from. Both were set to active and had the same drive letter assigned.

Yep, as I already stated, I figured that out.

Back