bestbuy.com has the 4870x2 for $469.99 now

True. 2GB DDR3 vs 4GB DDR5, lol.

I'm using my two single slot 3870 Toxic cards in crossfire.
Maybe I upgrade when they get single slot 4870s.

Buy a 4870X2? After what happened to the price of a GTX280 from release to now? HELL NO!

I may be living in dream land, but after what happened to GTX280 buyers, I will never buy a video card release week.

Nvidia under estimated the ATI 4800 series (which they confessed to in their earnings report) and came out with bloated prices that had to be severely cut to compete with the 4800 series.

I can't imagine anything creating a price crash with the 4870 X2. Not like Nvidia has the GTX280 X2 coming out in a month for $500. :)

$470 for a dual RV770 card with 2GB GDDR5 is already a helluva deal, unlike the GTX280 at $650 was.

Ah, now I see. I supposed I was just paranoid Nvidia had something around the corner. And dang...Thinking about it. Isn't the 4870X2 better performing then 2x 4870, and for less money now?

Could the 4870X2 really be the bang for buck card? o_O

Ah, now I see. I supposed I was just paranoid Nvidia had something around the corner. And dang...Thinking about it. Isn't the 4870X2 better performing then 2x 4870, and for less money now?

and 2 4870X2's will blow your mind! :)

Couldn't you buy two 3870x2s for the same price?

The reviews I've seen have shown the 4870X2 beating 2x 3870X2... which is why I ordered my 4870X2 this morning (damn you best buy).

But umm.. you can buy both of my 3870x2 for the same price ;)

Yeah, $499 after shipping and tax. Good but not that great. If I were going for an X2, the $50 diff would likely mean nothing to me compared to the wait to get my hands on one.

Yeah, $499 after shipping and tax. Good but not that great. If I were going for an X2, the $50 diff would likely mean nothing to me compared to the wait to get my hands on one.

Well its actually $70+ difference if you buy it from newegg..

unreal.... but it could happen... a $500 bang for the buck card... who wouldda thunk it?;)

no it will only blow. adding a second 4870x2 does basically NOTHING except burn a whole in your wallet. dont worry though because there will be plenty of idiots with 20inch monitors running that setup by the end of the week. :rolleyes:

Man you really don't have anything other to do than to criticize what people want to do?

You defended people w/ GTX280 users and now the same arguments are out there and you don't now?

Man you really don't have anything other to do than to criticize what people want to do?

You defended people w/ GTX280 users and now the same arguments are out there and you don't now?
I posted a link to benchmarks showing that running two 4870x2 cards does basically nothing over just running one 4870x2 so how the hell is that criticizing anyone? he was wrong.

I have no idea what the fuck are you talking about in second part of your reply?

no it will only blow. adding a second 4870x2 does basically NOTHING except burn a hole in your wallet. dont worry though because there will be plenty of idiots with 20inch monitors running that setup by the end of the week. :rolleyes:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1541/9/sapphire_radeon_hd_4870_x2_in_crossfirex/index.html

yes, but im the idiot who will wait a couple months till developers start to use the power, im not an idiot who will just buy for no reason. im even putting off my new build for Nehalem :)

and ive see all the reviews and benchmarks, i know 2 4870x2 are bad right now, while in some games they do, do outstanding, but in the next couple of months, 2 4870x2's will blow your mind!

Well its actually $70+ difference if you buy it from newegg..

Haha, OK OK, my point was just that if I really wanted one of these, I wouldn't care who was selling cheapest, I'd care who could get it in my hands first. I paid $664 for an 8800GTX overnighted on launch day in Nov. 2006, so I don't really have a lot of room to criticize people for paying NewEgg's auto-inflated prices ;)

Though comparitively, ~20 or 30 bucks over MSRP on a $550 card isn't really THAT big of a ripoff.

Haha, OK OK, my point was just that if I really wanted one of these, I wouldn't care who was selling cheapest, I'd care who could get it in my hands first. I paid $664 for an 8800GTX overnighted on launch day in Nov. 2006, so I don't really have a lot of room to criticize people for paying NewEgg's auto-inflated prices ;)

i feel ya, im currently sitting next to my $715 bfg 8800 gtx, and im going to go talk to best buy to get my $85 back from pre-ordering my visiontek yesterday. For warranty ill wait a couple of days :)

yes, but im the idiot who will wait a couple months till developers start to use the power, im not an idiot who will just buy for no reason. im even putting off my new build for Nehalem :)

and ive see all the reviews and benchmarks, i know 2 4870x2 are bad right now, while in some games they do, do outstanding, but in the next couple of months, 2 4870x2's will blow your mind!
well at no point will having two of these on a 20inch monitor help anything and thats the part I said was idiotic. only on a 30inch monitor will having two of these cards do anything and even right now it offers NO advantage over having just one 4870x2. by the time a game comes out that can tax a properly working 4870x2 two card setup there will be newer cards that will blow it away.

well at no point will having two of these on a 20inch monitor help anything and thats the part I said was idiotic. only on a 30inch monitor will having two of these cards do anything and even right now it offers NO advantage over having just one 4870x2. by the time a game comes out that can tax a properly working 4870x2 two card setup there will be newer cards that will blow it away.

When did i say anything about a 20" monitor? Im getting my 4870 x2 for a 30" :) lol. Anyway, how did you get 20"? :confused:

Or how about techreport, which doesnt just use canned benchmarks: http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15293/5

It simply crushes even Tri SLI in some games with a single card to begin with

FYI though most reviews show the cards are very CPU bottlenecked and that 4 GHz provides noticeable differences over 3GHz.... simply needs more CPU to feed it info to use

everyone laughs at reviews that dont show what they want to see. if there are reviews that actually show 2 4870x2 easily beating 1 4870x2 please link it.
haha yeah according to tweaktown 9800gt is better than 4850 lol i never said that 4870x2 cf can beat one 4870x2 cause current support for 4 gpus is joke may be in future but that sites reviews are crap

Or how about techreport, which doesnt just use canned benchmarks: http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15293/5

It simply crushes even Tri SLI in some games with a single card to begin with

FYI though most reviews show the cards are very CPU bottlenecked and that 4 GHz provides noticeable differences over 3GHz.... simply needs more CPU to feed it info to use
well my comments had nothing to with comparing the 4870x2 to the competition. I was only saying that having 1 4870x2 is enough and that in most games theres no improvement in adding another one for crossfire. techrport did show an improvement in HL2 Ep2 and GRID but thats about it. so IMO its still a waste to buy 2 of these cards even with a 30inch monitor. ;)

well my comments had nothing to with comparing the 4870x2 to the competition. I was only saying that having 1 4870x2 is enough and that in most games theres no improvement in adding another one for crossfire. techrport did show an improvement in HL2 Ep2 and GRID but thats about it. so IMO its still a waste to buy 2 of these cards even with a 30inch monitor. ;)

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. If that techreport.com review is even close to accurate, going from my 8800GTX to my 4870X2 is going to be more of a difference than going from my old 7950GT to my 8800GTX.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. If that techreport.com review is even close to accurate, going from my 8800GTX to my 4870X2 is going to be more of a difference than going from my old 7950GT to my 8800GTX.
not really sure why you quoted me but yes that is going to be one massive jump for you. ;)

so has anyone who pre-ordered from best buy have there card shipped yet? i pre-ordered on wednesday right when they opened the orders and i norder staus mine still says one item pre-ordered, release date 8/13/08. Anyone else getting this?

so has anyone who pre-ordered from best buy have there card shipped yet? i pre-ordered on wednesday right when they opened the orders and i norder staus mine still says one item pre-ordered, release date 8/13/08. Anyone else getting this?

Same here ordered right when the deal was announced. Worstbuy has crappy updates and crappy overall online service so expect it on the last day that is estimated. Can't wait to fire this up on my 17" monitor! I kid.

well if you ordered it on wed-- that was the 13th... So maybe You looking at the purchase date? Cause mine shows purchased the 14th and ship date should be the 15th with arrival date of the 19th.. But here is me not holding my breath...:rolleyes: ..

Checked my status this morning from Pre-Order, Now says 1 Item Backordered :(.

Customer service lady said that once a pre-ordered item sells out, all the orders say that. She said to call back for more info if I don't get a tracking number by noon. She sounded pretty confident, but didn't clearly explain it.

mine still says pre-order, but on wednesday when i called best buy they said it will stay on pre-order until they get a steady and full stream of stock because they don't want it to be you buy it and complain if it doesnt come in two days. they also said and the cards arrived at the warehouse they would most likely be shipped right away. i also called yesterday and the guy said its strange how it says pre-order and it also says release date 8/13. he said my card should arrive this afternoon or on monday since ups doesnt ship weekends. he also said if i dont get the card by monday afternoon to call and request for him so he can look into it! Still i want my card tonight or im gonna be really pissed

just checked best buy for the hell of it, i went to the 4870 x2's page and in bold it says "SOLD OUT ONLINE" lmao. hope my card comes soon :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm looking forward to this upgrade. I'm going from 2x 7900 GTO's to the 4870x2, that should be a pretty big jump :D

I'm guessing before installing the new card (when it gets here) that I should probably run driver cleaner right? Since I'm going from nVidia drivers to ATI

still says on pre-order with release of 8/13....im really considering canceling the order and ordering from somewhere else, but again, lifetime warranty > get it a week early :)

I see that it saying sold out a good sign, they didn't make the pre-orders unlimited like they have for past cards and totally screw themselves by selling 10X the amount they had available.

speedy---- you can call the customer service number and check the status of your order.. I did that and it told me my card should ship today... 15th and arrive by the 19th... Maybe you could get more info there.. Also did you get the express shipping? Cause you just ordered it on the 13th didnt you ? Figure even if they had the item in stock-- it would take a day to pack and ship... Then 2-4 days from then including the weekend for ups-- would put it to you around monday or so tuesday...

Back