BFGTech GeForce 9600 GT OC @ [H]

I personally have gone w/eVGA for my last three purchases, but I have heard great things about XFX tech support. eVGA has just happened to have the prices and models I've been looking for, so it's nothing against XFX that I have gone eVGA (luckily, I haven't had a need to utilize eVGA tech support so I can't comment on it, xD).

i think i might be getting the evga one, i noticed that on their specs, its 25mhz faster than the rest, and ive seen alot of people do the upgrade program they have...so i think i might use a lil bit of a my tax return to finally upgrade my gpu

XFX, BFG and EVGA all offer lifetime warranty. EVGA and XFX also allow you to mod the card (install 3rd party coolers, etc) w/o voiding the warranty. While you might be able to get away with replacing the cooler and not having the company notice with other brands, you also might get caught and end up SOL.

EVGA also has step-up, which gives you full price for the card if a better one comes out and you want to get it instead. This lasts 90 days. You must register w/in 30 days.

XFX has lifetime warranty for the 2nd owner as well, which makes it great for re-selling as the next person also gets the warranty.

BFG doesn't seem to care about if the card has been resold, but they could always change their lax policy about this, so be warned.

In general, I take it that the difference from the "7" series to the "8" series was a far bigger leap than going from the "8" series to the "9" series. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In general, I take it that the difference from the "7" series to the "8" series was a far bigger leap than going from the "8" series to the "9" series. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Definitely seems like it at this point.

7 series to 8 series was a leap between architectures. 8 series to 9 series is just an improvement of an existing architecture.

9600GT SLI seems to really shine in DX10!

I was very close to buying 2 8800GTS (g92) for my new system but with the performance of these in SLI, it doesn't seem like it's really worth the extra $200 for the GTS's. I'd be better off waiting for some benchies on GX2.

Speaking of which, I'd assume that really good 9600GT SLI performance is a really good sign for the 9800GX2?

Definitely seems like it at this point.

7 series to 8 series was a leap between architectures. 8 series to 9 series is just an improvement of an existing architecture.

It sure seems that way. Just as how the 7 series was an improved version of the 6 series architecture.

If I add all those jumps together, then going from my 6800 GT to an 8800 GT or 9600 GT would be like going from a Ford Focus to a Ford GT (trying to stay with the "GT" theme)! :eek:

It sure seems that way. Just as how the 7 series was an improved version of the 6 series architecture.

Exactly and still brought a boost of 60-70% in performance. And that's why I think people should wait and see what the 9800 GTX really is. I really don't believe the rumors that say the new 9800 GTX is only an overclocked 8800 GTS 512. It makes no sense.

True, But I think the Improvements from the 6-7 series seemed to be more significant than what is instore for the 8-9 series.

Going from a 6800 to a 7900 was a pretty hefty leap in performance.

Exactly and still brought a boost of 60-70% in performance. And that's why I think people should wait and see what the 9800 GTX really is. I really don't believe the rumors that say the new 9800 GTX is only an overclocked 8800 GTS 512. It makes no sense.

Yep, considering how well the 9600gt holds up the improved compression / whatever else NV did to the 9 series should give the GTX / top end a nice boost over the 8800gtx.

Yep, considering how well the 9600gt holds up the improved compression / whatever else NV did to the 9 series should give the GTX / top end a nice boost over the 8800gtx.

I hear nVidia paid Chuck Norris a hefty sum of money to piss in every vat of silicon used to make the wafers for the 9 series.

I'm waiting for Mass Effect for PC before I buy a card I guess, don't need it until then (saves me buying a 360 for now). Whatever prices 8800/9600 are showing will dictate my purchase. If 9600Gt is low enough it might be very compelling.

A few selling points of the 9600 GT compared to the 8800 GT is that the former is quieter, cooler, and less of a power hog than the latter. But if the 9600 GT costs almost as much as the 8800 GT, then the fact that the former is slower might outweigh its benefits.

Just shy of 6 years to a repeat, seems this card is to this generation what the gf4 ti4200 was to the Q1 2002 generation of cards.

Just shy of 6 years to a repeat, seems this card is to this generation what the gf4 ti4200 was to the Q1 2002 generation of cards.

Amen to that brutha... Still got my Leadtek Ti4200 kicking in my T-Bird Setup, Nforce2 FTW!
I just pulled the trigger on the 8800GT from microcenter for $232 shipped. Was a real tough call I wanted the 9600GT really bad but the 8800GT has those extra SP's that my 21" needs to crunch on. Either way their awesome cards and I cant wait till Friday! :D

So should I be waiting for another 9700Pro? :D

To do what?

1920x1200 on card below $200!! I am in Awe. When I built my new computer in August I went with a $500 GTX. I am happy all of those who cannot afford the GTX can now atleast play at decent resolutions without breaking the bank.

What is the purpose of a 9800gGTX gonna be? Maybe Crysis at 2560x1600 with16xhqaa, 16xaf? Show me one game that even makes the GTX sweat (Except Crysis).

First people scream because the High end Video cards started coming out at < $600 and now it seems they are screaming because they are not out soon enough.:p

To do what?

Play Crysis on Very High @ 1280x1024 - my needs are modest :)

That, and to play all those NEW games that are also going to be even more demanding, unless you want to forever be stuck at current graphics levels? :rolleyes:

What is the purpose of a 9800gGTX gonna be? Maybe Crysis at 2560x1600 with16xhqaa, 16xaf? Show me one game that even makes the GTX sweat (Except Crysis).

Ha, I'd be surprised if it can do Crysis @ Very High no aa, no af @ 1920x1200 - a feat that currently takes 3 8800 Ultras in Tri-SLI to accomplish.

That, and to play all those NEW games that are also going to be even more demanding, unless you want to forever be stuck at current graphics levels? :rolleyes:

Yep- it's already confirmed that Far Cry 2 is going to be taking measures to more fully utilize the superior graphical capabilities of the PC despite the fact that it's also coming out for the 360 and PS3, and it's likely just the first in a wave of games that will follow suit.

Hmm, sounds good for the money though. Eitherway no matter what we might say the card will get outdated by a new game in a couple of months a year at most. GTX's though will be phenomenal for now...later we will eventually need to upgrade to play at good frame rates as always.

One thing I would like to see in [H] reviews are results on older cards. I want to know if the performance delta is there to make it worth my while to upgrade. I have a 7900GTO @ GTX speeds. What's the difference going to be in UT? What's the difference in WoW ?

One thing I would like to see in [H] reviews are results on older cards. I want to know if the performance delta is there to make it worth my while to upgrade. I have a 7900GTO @ GTX speeds. What's the difference going to be in UT? What's the difference in WoW ?

You'll have to look at the original reviews for the 8800gts / gtx series cards for info like that. Because of the way [H] reviews, they spend a lot more time testing, so throwing more cards, especially old ones, into the mix is a waste of their time. People generally know how old cards perform, its seeing how new ones do that interests them.

scored 10023 at 675 uped it to 752 and got 10533.

10 K without a quad core and spending a ton I'm happy. and in a year these cards will be like 70 bucks and will a make a cheap sli.

You'll have to look at the original reviews for the 8800gts / gtx series cards for info like that. Because of the way [H] reviews, they spend a lot more time testing, so throwing more cards, especially old ones, into the mix is a waste of their time. People generally know how old cards perform, its seeing how new ones do that interests them.

I know I can look at the older reviews, but it's often two problems that come along with that:

1) Different games. There's not really any one baseline benchmark that stays the same. I know this is sort of a side consequence of how [H] focuses on real world gaming results, which is something I appreciate.

2) Different baseline hardware. A lot of GF7 reviews are on AMD hardware, which throws some doubt into the mix against my 3.2C2D

Remember, [H] doesn't review; it evaluates. :p

In future evaluations would it be possible to get a brief impression of the cards for use in a media/gaming PC since the newer cards feature an integrate S/PDIF input for an HDMI output that includes both video and sound. I think this may be am increasingly popular “real world” scenario for gamers in the near future. Also I became a bit concerned when I looked for a card on Newegg and read an evaluation where the user wasn’t able to get sound to work through the input.

I think I will buy the EVGA 9600gt first and then step up when the 9800 series cards come out to play! Just can't wait. :)

Something I have observed over the years, is that when a Quality Review Site tests a certain piece of Gear, ie: [H] and a few others, they do tend to use the Gear we'd all like to say we have in our Boxes. Sometimes, it makes people so envious that they are forced to upgrade just so they can see for themselves, or maybe it's that Uber feeling you get when you happen on a certain Combo of Price/Performance, that might or might not reach those lofty places, (Celeron 300a for one) so that only a few dare tread. In any Case I for one think we are on the CUSP of some really Great Times in the PC Industry, and those of us who are fortunate enough to witness these transformations in an Industry that I've been in since 1973 (Computer Repair Tech USAF 73/82) can only stand back and admire the Quality of Thought and attention to detail that goes in to these types of Evaluation Reviews.
KUDOS to Kyle and Brent (The Job that is the Adventure!)

One Point I would like to finish with is that an Awful Lot of Methodical Work has Preceded these Reviews which formed the Industry that we Cherish. So when you're at the Local "Brick & Mortar" Shop or the "Egg", and your looking at that New Piece of Hardware that would just be awesome in your setup, think about the Millions of Man Hours invested in bringing all this Graphical Prowess to our Desktops!

I dunno about you guys, but I picked up two of these BFG 9600GT Overclocked Edition cards this morning for just under $200 a piece @ my local Fry's. I've got more work to do before I get them installed and get my new rig running, but I liked these so much and now the only thing I need to pick up is a new processor. I can't wait to see how these cards run on a one card basis and in SLI.

I also opened up the package and examined the cards. I was very impressed by the construction and design. The heatsink and fan are both very large. The card is very heavy. I'm in love. Sure they are not bleeding edge, but they're the best my current budget will allow. I could not be happier.

Back