BFGTech GeForce 9600 GT OC @ [H]

I disagree...preliminary tests done on the 9600gt showed that the cards in SLI were faster than a 8800 ultra. For $360, that would be impressive.

Link please.

Edit: Saw the ones you offered up, and was not impressed. We will take a look at it. I think we have about 10 9600 GT now.

lol should've asked this in my previous post but I was rushing to class, but what is quieter this or the 8800gt. as you can tell acoustics is very important to me

I would say 8800 GT is "louder", by that I mean more wind noise cause it spins faster cause its smaller.

Dual slot, dual dvi + HDMI connection, etc.. (see below)

These look very cool:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261001 (Palit brand)
Gainward is also going to have on like that.

looks nice. it seems to be shorter too. wow. in your face ATI /w onboard sound! haha. 2 hdmi ports, 2 dvi ports, and an spdif.... wow. amazing! incredible! i'm sold! 700mhz too! too bad the evga ssc is same price /w 740mhz... hmm... higher OC seperate sound cable to receiver, or lower OC /w lots more options. decisions decisions.
if only an sli matx board came out. that would rock! that really is the only reason holding me back from buying nvidia. super pricey sli mobos, other than that, i love my two 8800gt's even though these have taken them for price/performance ratio.

what in the world are all the extra shaders for anyhow? medium to high on shader option in game? that's it?! i'm stumped as to how technology can be so amazingly cool, and at the same time dumb. well not really, i'm just hoping the new gen rocks.

scramble ATI! scramble! the 9600gt just kicked your 3850 out of best bang for your buck.

Wow, say what you will about the crappy new high-end cards, but the low and mid-range segment performance sky-rocketted over the last 6 months!

Honestly, playing NEW games with HIGH settings at 1600x1200 or even higher on a sub-200 dollar card was just never possible. I'm very impressed by this and I honestly think that making low-end cards much faster helps PC gaming a lot more than making high-end cards a little faster.

It's a win/win situation both for NVIDIA/AMD because mid-range is where the money's at and also for consumers, since most people don't buy high-end cards, so now a LOT more people will be able to play good, new games with a pretty cheap PC. I'm gonna recommend this card to a friend who just realised she can't even play TF2 in DX9 with everything on low, hehe.

thanks for the great review kyle. got this baby on order should come tomorrow.:D

wonder what i should do with my 7900gtx:confused:

I'd love to see 9600GT SLI benchies [H] style.

I've seen a few benchies elsewhere and it says that the 3870 is faster than the 9600GT, but that site is known to use in game gpu test. I'm starting to learn to only trust this site. I wish you guys did more cpu reviews though :(

*update*

Seems that sites that use real custom time demos rather than the one that ships are showing the 9600GT equal or faster than the 3870. Guess those boxed gpu test are for real, no good. Also, according to the stats on gpureview, a SLI 9600 setup should beat a single 8800gts (g92) setup.

I've been looking around at other review sites to see the performance comparison/temps between brands and the Palit 9600 GT Sonic seems to have some awesome low temps. I'd like to see how these do overclocked and in SLI! You guys should definately get your hands on these to review!

For those of you who have used your own thermal compounds such as AS5, with stock heatsinks, does it make a solid difference on GPUs like it does with CPUs?

If it does, I bet you could pick up a pair of those badboys for a nice price, throw on the AS5 for even better cooling, and oc them a ton, and get sweet performance.

Ordered the BFG from new egg just now. I'll post picks and benchmarks when I get them.

Have been waiting to buy a 8800gt glade I did. This card will be 70 bucks in no time and I'll have a sweet sli rig for cheap.

I really hope you guys have the Palit 9600gt that thing seems to run really cool and quiet compared to the others. i think that'll be the one I'll be getting. don't mind the two slot solution.

Computerbase (German site) has a really comprehensive review with scores for the 9600 GT SLI. 9600GT SLI is easily the best $350 solution out there now, beating the 8800 GTX and Ultra.

FWIW, AnandTech and TomsHardware have both done "reviews" (as opposed to this "evaluation") of the NVidia 9600 GT video card.

and again, AT showed different results from [H]. i mean that between 9600gt and 3870. is that solely because of AA? i don't see AT turning on AA on their 'test', but...

according to [H] review, does it means : with 9600GT, now i can get 1280x1024 gaming res, maxed out all settings and 4AA + 18AF with almost every game?

yup, I forgot to mention that, BTW you never elaborated on the compression technology, I'm curious on how it works.

There are 3 kinds of compression in a GPU.
  • Texture compression: this is a lossy compression that dramatically reduces the amount of bandwidth required, at the expense of texture quality.
  • Z-compression: instead of having to fetch the Z value from memory for each pixel, you use way to reduce that. There are multiple techniques. Ati uses Hi-Z. Nvidia talks about Z-culling. One example would be to store a Z value for a rectangle of multiple pixels on-chip. In a lot of cases, this makes it possible to trivially accept or reject pixels without having to do a read from external memory. There seems to be other ways to reduce bandwidth, based on slope differences. Z bandwidth reduction is very important because, unlike color, it's one of the values for which a read-modify-write has to be used a lot. This is much less common for color, where you'll only need it when you're doing alpha blending.
  • Color compression: I believe this is only used for MSAA. When all color subsamples of a pixel have the same value, which happens when all subsamples of a pixel completely reside inside a non-transparent triangle, you can do a similar trick as Z-compression, but then on the pixel level: if you need a sample value, you just fetch the pixel value. In the best case (say 16x MSAA), you'll save 16x the bandwidth.
Both Z compression and color compression are lossless, so, unlike texture compression, they don't reduce the amount of memory storage. They just reduce the amount of bandwidth required over the external memory bus.

In this particular case, Nvidia seems to be talking about frame buffer compression. This hints at improved color or Z compression. Those algorithms are very much a trade secret, so don't expect to find more details. (You may find something with some patent searches though, but good luck deciphering that...)

Computerbase (German site) has a really comprehensive review with scores for the 9600 GT SLI. 9600GT SLI is easily the best $350 solution out there now, beating the 8800 GTX and Ultra.

Still going to run into AA limitations at high res with 9600 GT I would think. But if you don't AA, then it sounds good to me.

There are currently 9 different 9600GT cards in stock at Newegg for $179.99. Looks like there won't be a repeat of the 8800GT pricing mess.

There are currently 9 different 9600GT cards in stock at Newegg for $179.99. Looks like there won't be a repeat of the 8800GT pricing mess.

If demand is as high, as it was with the 8800 GT, you can bet prices will stay up.

Hello,

Does the gaming experience change at all with a fully overclocked card? IE can you change the shader quality to high?

Personally I really wasn't that impressed.

You can get a 3870 for $185 now and those prices will probably drop even more pretty soon.

Still waiting to upgrade as my 40% overclocked 7900GS still plays everything just fine at 1280x1024.

Personally I really wasn't that impressed.

You can get a 3870 for $185 now and those prices will probably drop even more pretty soon.

Still waiting to upgrade as my 40% overclocked 7900GS still plays everything just fine at 1280x1024.

So why are you not impressed? The 9600GT is faster than the 3870 AND cheaper. That is definitely a Win-Win for consumers...

So why are you not impressed? The 9600GT is faster than the 3870 AND cheaper. That is definitely a Win-Win for consumers...

Apparently it has to be $100 cheaper and needs to win by a landslide ;)

Anyways, interesting review, good to see some sub-$200 video cards coming out that can actually play new games, not just decode high-def DVD's :p

Because demand was too high...

Your Right. People were "Starved" for the 8800GT, The old 320/640 GTS were way over priced and created a vacume for midrange.

Since the 8800GT stocks have now settled and the 9600GT is so close in price/performance, I dont see a stock shortage on the 9600GT.

If the old 320/640 GTS's were say, $249, $349 at launch, The Demand for the 8800GT would have been fairly diminished and it would have probably launched at MSRP.

I really hope you guys have the Palit 9600gt that thing seems to run really cool and quiet compared to the others. i think that'll be the one I'll be getting. don't mind the two slot solution.

we do, evaluation is in progress

nösferatu;1032101200 said:
according to [H] review, does it means : with 9600GT, now i can get 1280x1024 gaming res, maxed out all settings and 4AA + 18AF with almost every game?

don't know about "every game", but certainly many current games, it is a powerful card for the money

we do, evaluation is in progress

This might be a bit farfetched to ask, but is there anyway you guys could, after testing stock, remove all thermal pads/compounds and see if Arctic Silver 5 helps out with lowering temparatures even further?

looks nice. it seems to be shorter too. wow. in your face ATI /w onboard sound! haha. 2 hdmi ports, 2 dvi ports, and an spdif.... wow. amazing!

I believe that's 1 HDMI /1 DisplayPort / 2 DVI / SPDIF-input for HDMI audio (on the PALiT card)...

If demand is as high, as it was with the 8800 GT, you can bet prices will stay up.

Unless AMD/ATI continues their aggressive pricing strategy, which will pressure NVidia to keep up w/ the price slashing (probably to a lesser degree, though).

on new cards/new launch, are there any signifigant(sp?) differences? i mean besides different HSF's, but ram type/speed, are usually the same, right? i ask this because looking @ newegg shows 9 different cards for 179.99

on new cards/new launch, are there any signifigant(sp?) differences? i mean besides different HSF's, but ram type/speed, are usually the same, right? i ask this because looking @ newegg shows 9 different cards for 179.99

Pretty much seems to be what manufacturer you prefer- though eVGA already has some decently OCed cards for $10-20 more out already.

thats the thing, last card i bought was a x800xl, and even then it was like 6 months after launch...ive always heard great things about xfx and since they were first on the list i was thinking about getting that

Back