Bioshock 2 Fixes

An image that is stretched 11 inches vertically will look differently than an image stretched 13 inches vertically on a screen placed same distance from viewer. The screen dimensions and it's distance from the viewer determines the ideal FOV. The fact you don't know this is why you are saying ignorant things about FOV.

Sure, your position to the screen and the physical screen size does matter, we all sit at different distances from our screens and we all have different sized screens, so the problem is basically impossible to completely solve in any kind of reasonable way.

The next best thing is to approximate a fixed FOV in the game which is a good average for the platform you're on, with consoles thats smaller because people sit way back from the screen and with PCs it should be much higher because you sit right next to your screen.

If you assume what I've just said to be true then what Phide says does make a lot of sense, while you want to fix a FOV for the user you also want that FOV to change dynamically as the aspect ratio changes to make sure that you're not cropping (this ensures the whole screen is used) and you also want to provide a relatively wider FOV for those people with wider aspect ratios.

The easiest way to do that for the user is simply fix the vFOV and have the hFOV change with the same ratio as the aspect ratio, this means it doesnt matter what flavour of widescreen you're using it's going to auto correct to the right hFOV, this behaviour we typically call Horz+

But you're 100% right the problem is more complex than that.

Ugh...Guys...Enough! If you want to continue to argue about what is and isn't FOV please do it in PMs or in another topic. You are cluttering up my topic with this shit and ruining the actual purpose of it.

PS: 2K just confirmed that the patch will NOT change the FOV from 75.

Tech Kris said:
Please note the FOV will not change from 75, and we do not plan to change it.
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=654354&postcount=6

Last edited:
So I take it 16:9 will be staying the same then, now to the detriment of those running at 16:10, 4:3 and 5:4 (who will now see less than they did before). That's brilliant.

Ugh...Guys...Enough! If you want to continue to argue about what is and isn't FOV please do it in PMs or in another topic. You are cluttering up my topic with this shit and ruining the actual purpose of it.

PS: 2K just confirmed that the patch will NOT change the FOV from 75.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=654354&postcount=6

Oh man. I seriously wonder why these game devs refuse to implement FoV customization, even for the single-player mode. Anything less than 90 on a widescreen monitor is an invitation to a headache.

So I take it 16:9 will be staying the same then, now to the detriment of those running at 16:10, 4:3 and 5:4 (who will now see less than they did before). That's brilliant.

It's funny cuz I went to such great pains to suggest this is what they suggest they'll do.

But I didn't believe they'd do that, myself. Looks like is 16:9 is the baseline and it's exactly how they want it. Surprising.

Well I don't care what anybody here says, for me, going into the .ini file and switching the FOV to 120 made the game look way cooler. I just like it like that.

That fix, and the walk-toggle fix (being forced to run everywhere was literally making me feel nauseated), have been humongous changes, and have made the game not only playable, but enjoyable as well. I now like the look and the feel of this game.

So nice thread, Derangel. :)

Well I don't care what anybody here says, for me, going into the .ini file and switching the FOV to 120 made the game look way cooler. I just like it like that.

That fix, and the walk-toggle fix (being forced to run everywhere was literally making me feel nauseated), have been humongous changes, and have made the game not only playable, but enjoyable as well. I now like the look and the feel of this game.

So nice thread, Derangel. :)

You mean the bind to key FOV fix?

So they're not fixing it? That's great.
It's a semi-fix for landscape Eyefinity users, at least. It resolves the "you get to play the game as if you're looking through a mail slot!" issue, but not in the best way possible. And, of course, those guys running of 4:3 displays (for whatever reason) are going to be very displeased with how this fix is going to affect them. So, one step forward, one step back.

They did step one. Step two is to address the FOV-lock issue in some way, which we can hack with now, but it's not a good, solid built-in fix as it should be.

i tried this game because of the reviews and they all said "one of the best looking games out there"......what a load of horse shit. i even did the manual fov change so it looked half decent. this looks like the old microsoft underwater game from like 15 yrs ago. not impressed at all. even switching to single monitor and playing 1900x1200.....not even. what a damn waste. add this to the recent fail list with COD MW2. any game that doesnt support native fov calibration, or the ability to choose your own, just isnt going to make it. having to hack a game just shows how short sighted developers are. wake up people. widescreen has been the NORM for many years now.

The FOV fix in the .ini file isn't a bad solution, and only takes about 1 minute to do - but I agree that the default FOV makes the game almost unplayable.

I am so done with this game until they get these god damned keys fixed. I bind F to strafe but that fubars my little sister picking up. How the hell does this crap get past the beta phase. Not all of use are WASD retards 2K Games!

The controls often had me frustrated in this game. Fortunately I never patched the game, so the FOV worked throughout. Unfortunately I had to save constantly since the game would CTD and freeze often. One play through was enough for me anyway.

BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow

The next patch for BioShock 2 will be released in the wee hours tomorrow at 2:00 am PST, which is 5:00 am EST. The update will fix the field of view on widescreen monitors so 16:9 resolutions will no longer be letterboxed versions of 4:3 resolutions, also fixing an issue where holding the M1 button would not register in multiplayer play

Bioshock 2 Patch List

- Fixed an issue where 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions were letterboxed versions of 4:3 resolutions, thereby properly fixing the FOV by expanding the horizontal player view as intended.
- Fixed an issue where holding the M1 button would not register in Multiplayer gameplay

http://2kgames.com/cultofrapture/article/bioshock2pcpatchnumbertwo

BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow

The next patch for BioShock 2 will be released in the wee hours tomorrow at 2:00 am PST, which is 5:00 am EST. The update will fix the field of view on widescreen monitors so 16:9 resolutions will no longer be letterboxed versions of 4:3 resolutions, also fixing an issue where holding the M1 button would not register in multiplayer play

Bioshock 2 Patch List

- Fixed an issue where 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions were letterboxed versions of 4:3 resolutions, thereby properly fixing the FOV by expanding the horizontal player view as intended.
- Fixed an issue where holding the M1 button would not register in Multiplayer gameplay

http://2kgames.com/cultofrapture/article/bioshock2pcpatchnumbertwo

Does anyone know if this came out and where I can get it? I can only find the first patch. I just got the game today, and I don't want to play it until I'm sure that it's working. Thanks.

I launched Bioshock 2 tonight for the first time in quite a while, and GFWL patched it to version 1.4, and now my walk toggle and FOV fixes are no longer functioning.

Can anybody else here confirm this? I bought the Steam version.

Back