Bit-tech 5770 Preview

This thing will likely sell well under $200. How many people who can afford a high res monitor will skimp on the video card?

The take away is that this card has the highest bandwidth 128b memory bus ever. This will bring unprecedented performance to its price point. This card will instantly obsolesce the 4850 and 4770 and deliver better features. It might not be a good upgrade for 4870/4890 owners (the review will tell) but until DX11 games are available 4870/4890 owners have nothing to complain about.

If you want to game in high res and/or use Eyefinity you can afford the 5850. Quit whining.

This thing will likely sell well under $200. How many people who can afford a high res monitor will skimp on the video card?

The take away is that this card has the highest bandwidth 128b memory bus ever. This will bring unprecedented performance to its price point. This card will instantly obsolesce the 4850 and 4770 and deliver better features. It might not be a good upgrade for 4870/4890 owners (the review will tell) but until DX11 games are available 4870/4890 owners have nothing to complain about.

If you want to game in high res and/or use Eyefinity you can afford the 5850. Quit whining.

Of course it will sell under $200, it says its going to sell for $159 lol....

All I know is how the cards perform in games, and I'm impressed with the results. It was better than I thought it would be. Can't really say anymore than that until the launch next week. Stay tuned to [H] for all your gaming hardware goodness, I've got a lot of neat things planned to test this month.

can't wait :D

/facepalm

:confused:

49713153.png

56265936.png

HD5770 bencmarked:

Pretty sure I'm getting one of these. About the same punch as my HD4870 ... but with DX11 support, uses less power.

What's with the poor performance in Vantage? I know that Nvidia cards get a bullshit bump from the Physx test, but the 4890 and 5770 should be on-par, instead of like night and day.

Could it be the memory bandwidth holding it back?

Is it too early to say "I told you so?" :)

If that vantage number is a fluke, and the thing really can keep-up with a 4890 at higher resolutions/AA, then the $160 price tag will upend the entire industry. But otherwise, gamers will pass it over for the real deal with enough memory bandwidth to get things done.

But I still have to laugh at the people who kept saying the 5770 would have more than 800 cores. Perhaps, on a future 5830 part, but not today.

Last edited:
What's with the poor performance in Vantage? I know that Nvidia cards get a bullshit bump from the Physx test, but the 4890 and 5770 should be on-par, instead of like night and day.

If that vantage number is a fluke, and the thing really can keep-up with a 4890 at higher resolutions/AA, then the $160 price tag will upend the entire industry. But otherwise, gamers will pass it over for the real deal with enough memory bandwidth to get things done.

But I still have to laugh at the people who kept saying the 5770 would have more than 800 cores. Perhaps, on a future 5830 part, but not today.

Way too early.

If the 5770 can be overclocked to 5850 speeds, then I'd want to know really well what separates the 5850 from the 5770 before deciding which to recommend in any given case.

If the 5770 can be overclocked to 5850 speeds, then I'd want to know really well what separates the 5850 from the 5770 before deciding which to recommend in any given case.

Uh, the 5850 has 640 more shaders to start with...

Don't even bother man, people will sit here and speculate all of their opinions of the performance they have no idea about. Won't stop until you release the review, and that I'm sure won't even stop it :D

Of course it won't stop, we have noobs like sonda5 and his gay love for the 770 series card and how they are soooo great at 3dmarks lol.

Of course it won't stop, we have noobs like sonda5 and his gay love for the 770 series card and how they are soooo great at 3dmarks lol.

Hahahaha I actually lol'd at that. But wait, why his his love gay love, don't most graphics card's have sexy hawt ladies with dreads? :D

Does this person know who Brent_Justice is? LOL.

Geez, forget bandwidth. Forget 3DMark. The card has already been tested. It is "impressive". That's all we need to know.

Geez, forget bandwidth. Forget 3DMark. The card has already been tested. It is "impressive". That's all we need to know.

THANK YOU... thought I was going crazy for listening to what freaking Video card reviewer for [H]ardocp says... glad I'm not alone! :D

How can you "forget bandwidth," when it's the most important component of a card using a paltry 128-bit bus?

Let me lay my concerns out for you:

It has been proven that the 4850 is already slightly bandwidth-starved at higher resolutions and AA/AF levels. Yes, it's not much, but it is proof that the 4850 is hitting the memory bandwidth wall.

The move to 1.2G clock on GDDR5 (76.8GB/s) only raises theoretical bandwidth by %20 over a 4850 (63.5GB/s). And that ignores any bandwidth overhead lost moving to the higher-latency GDDR5.

Since the performance increase going from 625MHz to 850MHz clock (%36) is much higher than the memory bandwidth increase, you can understand my concerns. Unless AMD waved a magic wand and created some new higher efficiency memory compression (unlikely, things are already strapped as it is in the compression market), this card is going to fall-off at higher resolutions/AF/AA.

I'll believe Brent when he shows me the numbers. And Brent: if you want this argument to go away, all you have to do is an apples-to-apples comparison with the 4890 at high res/AF/AA on each game you test. Since you usually only test 3-4 games, and you already have the card in your hands, that should not be too much work between now and Tuesday.

Last edited:
How can you "forget bandwidth," when it's the most important component of a card using a paltry 128-bit bus?

Based on technology of the past it would be logical to come to your conclusions but the HD5770 is using a totally new 40nm GPU and with that comes a modern architecture for GPU processing. Add fast GDDR5 memory and the HD5770 is a totally new technology that cannot be compared to video cards of the past.

If that vantage number is a fluke, and the thing really can keep-up with a 4890 at higher resolutions/AA, then the $160 price tag will upend the entire industry.

No it won't

People expect newer cards to be cheaper or faster (or both sometimes) than older cards. It keeping up with a $200 msrp card would not "upend" the entire industry.

Why are your posts so dramatic?

Based on technology of the past it would be logical to come to your conclusions but the HD5770 is using a totally new 40nm GPU and with that comes a modern architecture for GPU processing. Add fast GDDR5 memory and the HD5770 is a totally new technology that cannot be compared to video cards of the past.

Honestly, wtf are you talking about???

No shit sherlock.
What customer segment do you imagine buys a 30" screen and a budget graphics card and expects to game at 2560x1600/8xAA?

WOW +1000000000000000, thank you! I want this card because I game at 1680x1050 and it is going to be perfect for it!

All I know is how the cards perform in games, and I'm impressed with the results. It was better than I thought it would be. Can't really say anymore than that until the launch next week. Stay tuned to [H] for all your gaming hardware goodness, I've got a lot of neat things planned to test this month.

Dood, you're awesome! I can't wait to get my hands on your review!

There's nothing revolutionary about the 5000 series; it's mainly just a slight evolution of the 4000 series with more SPs. There is no reason why it cannot be compared to previous generations of GPUs.

There's nothing revolutionary about the 5000 series; it's mainly just a slight evolution of the 4000 series with more SPs. There is no reason why it cannot be compared to previous generations of GPUs.

How can you state that there is nothing revolutionary about the 5000 series? :confused:

So if not a 40nm or 32nm ATI GPU which brand and model of GPU should we be looking to buy?
I didn't say that the 5000 series doesn't perform very well. And there are no 32nm ATI GPUs, so I don't know what you are trying to infer with that statement.

How can you state that there is nothing revolutionary about the 5000 series? :confused:
there is nothing overly special about it. its mainly just a tweaked and tuned 4000 series. the 5870 performs the same as 4870x2 because they carry basically the same overall performance specs. you can draw the same conclusions that in situations where the extra bandwidth of the 4890 doesn't help it, the 5770 will perform the same since it has the same specs otherwise. you need to get over this magical 40nm nonsense you keep saying from time to time. its no more special than any other process we have had. yes power consumption at idle is great now but that should/could have been fixed with the 4000 series. game performance wise though the 5000 series bring nothing revolutionary to the table. given the same specs the 5000 series perform no better clock for clock than the 4000 series.

Last edited:

The 5000 series is an evolutionary upgrade from the 4000 series. My article states this, the TeraScale 2 Architecture is an evolutionary upgrade from the TeraScale Architecture. Several DX11 functions were already supported in the 4000 series, supporting DX10.1 already put them closer than anyone to DX11 features.

The 5000 series is an evolutionary upgrade from the 4000 series. My article states this, the TeraScale 2 Architecture is an evolutionary upgrade from the TeraScale Architecture. Several DX11 functions were already supported in the 4000 series, supporting DX10.1 already put them closer than anyone to DX11 features.

Ok. Not revolutionary but evolutionary for sure. I'll settle with that. :cool:

Ok. Not revolutionary but evolutionary for sure. I'll settle with that. :cool:

And that's why I'm saying bandwidth matters. The 4890 is a very capable card for gaming at 1920x1200 (or even 2560x1600!), and that's a resolution where memory bandwidth becomes key, especially with 8xAA and 16xAF. [H]ardOCP's own review paints the 4890 as an excellent 1920x1200 and up card!

The 5770 has similar horsepower to the 4890, but it may not be as popular a card if the memory bandwidth holds it back at these resolutions. People may opt for the good-old 4890 instead (it's not going anywhere for the foreseeable future, and should be at a competitive price).

All I know is - I swear to gods, after the Radeon 4770 HSF irritation - if this thing isn't single-slot with that power envelope and that heat generation, I'm going to FLIP THE FUCK OUT.

Just so ya know. Us SFF owners need some love, too! And there is no reason, as efficient as these beasties are, to need that ginormous HSF on them!

All I know is - I swear to gods, after the Radeon 4770 HSF irritation - if this thing isn't single-slot with that power envelope and that heat generation, I'm going to FLIP THE FUCK OUT.

Just so ya know. Us SFF owners need some love, too! And there is no reason, as efficient as these beasties are, to need that ginormous HSF on them!
dont taze me bro

Back