Bulldozer: Stores are stocked!

Koolvin

n00b
Fry's hardware of Wilsonville has bulldozers in stock to go on sale on the 11th. The price has still not been released the computers here at Fry's still have the price listed as '???'. They FOR SURE are being released this Tuesday!

I was actually wishing bulldozer would be good. It'd give me an excuse to build another rig.

my Fry's already has bulldozer

fryu.jpg

Ahhhh... IS it me, or the prices listed here are a bit more than what AMD said two months ago...??

2n9cg4.png

close, but disappointing. i was hoping the leaks were right with the 8150 around $245. i would like to upgrade the htpc with one but for around $279 a 2600 is pretty close.

maybe 245 for bulk retailer costs, no way was that going to be consumer prices.

close, but disappointing. i was hoping the leaks were right with the 8150 around $245. i would like to upgrade the htpc with one but for around $279 a 2600 is pretty close.

yeah, it is pretty close.

i'd rather pay the extra $10 per year over 4 years for the 2600k, since most of the (lightly threaded) shit I use will benefit more from the higher ipc.
Or I could wait for the 2600k to go on sale for $280, like it did a number of times this past year.
I'll probably even make back the difference in price from power consumption savings of the 95w vs 125w.

Unless you're encoding movies all day, the arguments for buying the FX are pretty weak.

yeah, it is pretty close.

i'd rather pay the extra $10 per year over 4 years for the 2600k, since most of the (lightly threaded) shit I use will benefit more from the higher ipc.

So tired of this argument. IPC alone is meaningless. A chip can be clocked higher, use less power and have a higher performance.

AMD's Video cards are clocked higher than nVidia's (Evergreen vs Fermi for instance) and yet they have better efficiency/performance.

Not saying this will be the case with BD, but we just don't know yet.

So tired of this argument. IPC alone is meaningless. A chip can be clocked higher, use less power and have a higher performance.

tired? it's as valid as ever. Each intel core just does work faster.

so, clock the AMD higher then, you say ?
ok, let's jack it up to 5ghz.
NOW amd can keep up with a stock 2600k in each single threaded task.

but wait, we can jack up the 2600k to 4.6ghz too.
welp, so much for OCing the amd. It's eating dust again.
now you'll need to squeeze 6ghz out of that amd, and I doubt BD will go that high.

so you see why I'd spend an extra $40 on a 2600k.

and as for efficiency, the 2600k is a pretty damned efficient 95watt package.
Just look at the power consumption charts of a loaded 2600k vs a 125w phenom2.
FX will probably need a nuclear power plant when OC'd.

Last edited:
tired? it's as valid as ever. Each intel core just does work faster.

so, clock the AMD higher then, you say ?
ok, let's jack it up to 5ghz.
NOW amd can keep up with a stock 2600k in each single threaded task.

but wait, we can jack up the 2600k to 4.6ghz too.
welp, so much for OCing the amd. It's eating dust again.
now you'll need to squeeze 6ghz out of that amd, and I doubt BD will go that high.

so you see why I'd spend an extra $40 on a 2600k.

and as for efficiency, the 2600k is a pretty damned efficient 95watt package.
Just look at the power consumption charts of a loaded 2600k vs a 125w phenom2.
FX will probably need a nuclear power plant when OC'd.

The thing is it's NOT just the processor you are buying -- you are buying the platform!

If you already have a BD capable board and amd setup invested, it's a lot more than $40 difference to go to 1155.

Thank god. I'm sick of all the damned wrangling and "leaked reviews". I just want the price on an x6 to drop.

So...They will go on sale tomorrow and there are no reviews/benchmarks from a 100%, without a doubt, totally credible source?

Not until release date, which is probably when the NDA ends ...

So...They will go on sale tomorrow and there are no reviews/benchmarks from a 100%, without a doubt, totally credible source?

Almost all costs ever posted for CPU's from any manufacturers are the 1k bulk price. Though till the retailers and wholesalers see what the market bares, and what production and availability looks like, for the first two weeks expect it at that price.

Don't you all love how these two companies "bulldoze" the $$$ away from you just so to purchase their latest and greatest?:D

Many of you would most likely be fine with what you already have and paid for.

Unless of course you go to work just to support AMD and Intel.:p

Sometimes I think it all gets out of hand like who has the latest and greatest or "fastest" (very subjective at times IMHO) computer.:)

Don't you all love how these two companies "bulldoze" the $$$ away from you just so to purchase their latest and greatest?:D

Sometimes I think it all gets out of hand like who has the latest and greatest or "fastest" (very subjective at times IMHO) computer.:)

this aint called hard ocp for nothin.

People have all sorts of hobbies man. Id's say this one is pretty cheap, you gotta have a computer. And I donate all my old computers to people in need, so it's not a bad thing.

People have all sorts of hobbies man. Id's say this one is pretty cheap, you gotta have a computer. And I donate all my old computers to people in need, so it's not a bad thing.

Especially if they don't have a wife/gf (if they're a man) which is a good thing actually IMO.:D

You're a good person to donate your old computers to people in need.;):)

Computers are actually a really inexpensive hobby compared to cars, boats, old homes, gas-powered RC, sailing, planes, women, and a whole host of other things!

The fry's sales guys have told me several tikes now when they were expecting stock, and, yeah...

Definitely! I'm big into car audio SQ competitions and that shit get REALLY expensive! You can drop $1000 just on a such woofer amp. The tweeters I use are $250 a pair and you'll need a spare in case one pops during judging. You have to have a processor and that'll run you $700-1000. Then you'll need all the stuff for installation. You can drop $5000 on a competition level system without batting an eye. Hell world finals is this weekend. $165 for entry fee plus motel, food and gas and Ill blow enough this weekend to buy a i7 and high end motherboard!

Most people buying an CPU will look at the reviews the morning before they go buy ;) atleast I know i have in the past

That's a pretty crap NDA since only the impulse buyers will buy them. Sales guys and informed buyers can't make a good recommendation either way.:eek:

Definitely! I'm big into car audio SQ competitions and that shit get REALLY expensive! You can drop $1000 just on a such woofer amp. The tweeters I use are $250 a pair and you'll need a spare in case one pops during judging. You have to have a processor and that'll run you $700-1000. Then you'll need all the stuff for installation. You can drop $5000 on a competition level system without batting an eye. Hell world finals is this weekend. $165 for entry fee plus motel, food and gas and Ill blow enough this weekend to buy a i7 and high end motherboard!

Try to do that with most wife of gf who'll balk at that and want you to save the $$$ for them.:D

Now you do with with your monies what you want.

Audio equipment = $10K can be spent quite easily, but if it "floats ones boat" all the power to them.;)

I'm just saying with computers that one may spend $$$ on upgrading their system and a few months later almost redo it all over again.:cool:

If I see one more idiot talk about how IPC is unimportant... Good grief. You can only clock things so high on affordable cooling, IPC is important. Deal with it.

Try to do that with most wife of gf who'll balk at that and want you to save the $$$ for them.:D

Now you do with with your monies what you want.

Audio equipment = $10K can be spent quite easily, but if it "floats ones boat" all the power to them.;)

I'm just saying with computers that one may spend $$$ on upgrading their system and a few months later almost redo it all over again.:cool:

I competed for years with a wife but she didn't mind cause it kept me out of her hair. Now we've got a kid and money is much tighter even with 2 jobs and her working fulltime so my retirement from the competition scene is quickly approaching.

Back