Can this build hit 3.6 with q6600? Plz comment

Copy: How do I insert images into this forum? Do I have to upload it to imageshack first or can I post directly into this message (which is the ideal). Thanks!

Cycle: All the articles I've read show the TRUE to be the best, hence I bought it, it was $50 and all others cost the same (here in Canada).

What cooler are you using right now? Your specs only state the vcore, I'd like the other voltages you used as well (so I can replicate hopefully).

I haven't been totally sold on lapping (personally), it seems to risk to destroy my warranties and possibly physically damange things.Isn't it a pain to take out our your board and do all of this? I dunno, just not sold on that concept (from what I've read) so far. :)

Other voltages:

RAM 2.1
VTT FSB 1.25
NB 1.35
SB I/O 1.6
SB Core Power 1.15

Edit: in case it isn't showing up on your end, my heatsink is a modded Thermaltake Big Typhoon with a Big Typhoon VX fan - very poor static pressure. /edit

As for the lapping, I really need to do it as two of my cores load at a significantly higher temp - at least 5-6c. And yes, my heatsink is mounted correctly as well as being lapped. I am hoping to get past 3.7 by just lapping. Only 1 core fails orthos at 3.7+. The others will just keep on going.

This is the same exact heatsink I used for my Opty 175 build (worst batch) and was able to run it at 2.75Ghz 24x7 after I had de-capped the sucker as well as lapped the heatsink. It brought my load temps down ~17c vs. not lapped or de-capped. Lapping originally only gave me 3-4c.

Also.. if you do decide to lap a processor, an orbital sander works much better and way faster than hand lapping. You just have to wet the sandpaper and rinse it off when it gets clogged. 400 grit is fine for the whole job. When the sandpaper starts to wear, the effective grit increases, ending up somewhere between 600-800 grit from what I could tell.

Other voltages:

RAM 2.1
VTT FSB 1.25
NB 1.35
SB I/O 1.6
SB Core Power 1.15

Edit: in case it isn't showing up on your end, my heatsink is a modded Thermaltake Big Typhoon with a Big Typhoon VX fan - very poor static pressure. /edit

As for the lapping, I really need to do it as two of my cores load at a significantly higher temp - at least 5-6c. And yes, my heatsink is mounted correctly as well as being lapped. I am hoping to get past 3.7 by just lapping. Only 1 core fails orthos at 3.7+. The others will just keep on going.

This is the same exact heatsink I used for my Opty 175 build (worst batch) and was able to run it at 2.75Ghz 24x7 after I had de-capped the sucker as well as lapped the heatsink. It brought my load temps down ~17c vs. not lapped or de-capped. Lapping originally only gave me 3-4c.

Also.. if you do decide to lap a processor, an orbital sander works much better and way faster than hand lapping. You just have to wet the sandpaper and rinse it off when it gets clogged. 400 grit is fine for the whole job. When the sandpaper starts to wear, the effective grit increases, ending up somewhere between 600-800 grit from what I could tell.

I wouldn't consider using an orbital sander. The base of the sander is usually a soft material that gives creating a non-flat surface. The whole point is to sand it on a "flat" surface. I duck taped sand paper to glass and used that. When I was done I checked my surface with a razorblade to make sure its flat.

Guys,
This lapping thing is definately not in my league, I'm not going anywhere near my computer with a machine sander...LOL..I'll destroy my computer!

I think I figured out what has been holding me back from going over 3.2. My baseline vcore (vid) is high, this is reported by coretemp as 1.325. From ppl I've spoken to, their vids were much less in the 1.25 or less range, leaving more OC headroom. I haven't tried going over 1.5 since that's the upper limit and maybe that's the issue?

Cyclone: I've used voltages even higher than what you've posted there at 400x9 (1:1 ram ratio) and it hangs every time. 450x8 is the only way I can get into windows, but again, I only see two cores!

Maybe it's time to let it go and just oc my gpu and call it a day.

I bought quake wars last night and I'm playing at everything maxxed out on my 1080i 42" tv and it looks awesome and runs very smooth. So it's not a total loss :)

Good news. I got into windows at 3.6 (400x9) using the settings by doing the following (someone suggested this to me).

I set my bios vcore at 1.5, win idle/load vcore is 1.47. The NB is 1.55 and the PLL is 1.6, I also set the fsb voltage to 1.4 with LLC enabled. The only cpu settings enabled were peci and and execute disable bit (oc guides say to leave them on).

My temps are under 62 as well! Only prob is I'm not stable with prime 95 at all (like 2 mins only). Here's the screenshot:

36oclupisettingsnotstable.jpg

I'm not that familiar with these settings,but they seemed to help greatly, I wasn't even able to get into windows before.Which of those settings above (or any other) do you think any should/code be raised to get stability? I know my vcore is high (1.5) right now, I'll work on tuning that down on the next step once I get a stable oc!

Thanks, this is awesome !

Hey,
This is 3.6, it's not stable *yet* but before yesterday I couldn't even get to the loading screen of windows, in fact, it wouldn't POST at 3.6 at all. So there is some progress. I just wanted some suggestions from you OC experts, I'm still fairly new at this.

I did try 3.5 late last night, and it was stable for 20 mins (3.6 failed after 1 minute). Hoping to hit 3.6 stable here, any ideas?

Hey,
This is 3.6, it's not stable *yet* but before yesterday I couldn't even get to the loading screen of windows, in fact, it wouldn't POST at 3.6 at all. So there is some progress. I just wanted some suggestions from you OC experts, I'm still fairly new at this.

I did try 3.5 late last night, and it was stable for 20 mins (3.6 failed after 1 minute). Hoping to hit 3.6 stable here, any ideas?

Sounds like your on the right track and your discovering the limits of your chip. Honestly id aim for a 3.4ghz stable OC. I can boot into windows @ 1.4V , 3.6ghz and @ 1.48V im only stable for ~20min. I'm sure I could get it stable but nearing the peak voltage for air cooling on a box that runs 24/7 would worry me a bit. My Vid is a bit lower then yours and there has been some relation to lower VID chips overclocking better. Keep us posted on your progress.

i can't hit 400x9 for some reason, i think i have a 400 mhz fsb hole like many, but i'm happy with 380x9. specs in sig

my idle temps are kinda high (48,48,44,47), i should check my fan and make sure it's blowing at the heatsink and not away. does anyone know for the scythe, on the side, does the arrow mean it's blowing in that direction?

Fans blow toward the grating on the fan, and yes in the direction of the arrow.
Idle temps depend heavily on your ambient temps, too. So if you're in a hot room then your temps will be worse than others...

i can't hit 400x9 for some reason, i think i have a 400 mhz fsb hole like many, but i'm happy with 380x9. specs in sig

my idle temps are kinda high (48,48,44,47), i should check my fan and make sure it's blowing at the heatsink and not away. does anyone know for the scythe, on the side, does the arrow mean it's blowing in that direction?

Fairly warm for idle temps. What is your ambient? Also the TRUE is known for not haveing a very flat base. Lapping the TRUE would probably help your temps. Also the heatsink compound and application method can effect temps.

Sounds like your on the right track and your discovering the limits of your chip. Honestly id aim for a 3.4ghz stable OC. I can boot into windows @ 1.4V , 3.6ghz and @ 1.48V im only stable for ~20min. I'm sure I could get it stable but nearing the peak voltage for air cooling on a box that runs 24/7 would worry me a bit. My Vid is a bit lower then yours and there has been some relation to lower VID chips overclocking better. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hey Copy, I am actually stable for 20+ minutes (have to test longer) at 3.5. The only issue is that I'm running at peak voltage as you said. I haven't tweaked vcore at all yet though. I might be able to get this down to 1.4 (hopefully). I've seen reports of lower vid's requiring less peak voltage to reach high OC's as well. I can totally live with 3.5/3.4 ( as u suggested) if it means my bios vcore is max 1.4. I don't want to burn out this chip!

For try Scythe sflex fan, the side of the sticker is where the fan blows (makes sense), you can always put the fan in front of your face, whichever side blows more air tells u how to place the fan (layman's test).

Fans blow toward the grating on the fan, and yes in the direction of the arrow.
Idle temps depend heavily on your ambient temps, too. So if you're in a hot room then your temps will be worse than others...

Yep, my temps are very low at 3.5/3.6, I haven't done any sort of lapping and they are b/w 55-60ish.

Cheers!

Looks like one of my roomies killed the A/C again, core temps went from 33/33 to 42/42 and I haven't even changed anything...
:(

Back