Can't see local computers in network neighborhood anymore

boxterduke

Gawd
Hello,

I bought a WRT610N on Friday to replace my WRT54G and while it is running great I have a small issue.

If I go to browse my local network, I don't see a list of computers like I used to with the WRT54G

If I type \\computername then I can access the shares on each computer as well as be able to \\computername\c$

I can ping all of them and yes all of them are on the same workgroup as well as the router itself.

What setting I need disabled in the router so I can "see" my computers in network neighborhood

Thanks

I am betting that the router is not seeing the actual computer names. They should be listed under something called "attached devices" or similiar.

The easiest way to fix this is to change the workgroup the computers are on and then change it back. You will need to do this on every single computer to make sure it works.

Change the workgroup, reboot, change it back, then reboot again.

If the above doesn't fix everything, there may also be something wacked out with TCP/IP or Winsock on one or more of the machines.

You can run these commands from the command prompt or from a batch file (run as administrator) in order to reset the TCP/IP stack and Winsock.

-----------------------------------

netsh winsock reset

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset c:\reset.txt

------------------------------------

MS also has a fix that may help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903267

Last edited:
If your router is like linksys routers of old there's a setting somewhere that allows the router to allow network sharing for windows computers....

What Cyclone 3d said. Usually when I swap out routers for clients I have to go and set the workgroup up again.

Back