Case options for WHS build... (4 HDD minimum)

Joebar

Weaksauce
Looking to build a WHS box in as small a case as possible.. Will want the option to use at least 4 hdds and an optical... I have an ATX mobo and an e6600 that I can reuse, but if there's a better case, I have no problems buying a new mini/micro atx board..

Leaning toward the P180 mini as I already have a fullsize P180, but just wish the HDD cages were a little more, i dunno, something bothers me about them... A case with 4 external 5.25 bays is also an option as I can pick up one of those hdd cages to fit 4 or 5 drives in 3 bays..

Dont care about space for vid cards as I'll be using onboard video.
Any suggestions?

thx!

i have my WHS in a mini p180 and i really like the case, i added to hotswap trayless sata in the 2 bottom 5 1/4" bays.

its great but its not the smallest case. the fans could be quieter.....

Adidas, have any pics of your setup?

Pclark, I knew of the Qmicra -- didn't know it could fit 4 drives internally tho! Awesome, but I gotta really think it over for that price..

You can fit 8 (4 in 5.25" rack w/ hd expansion rack, duh) hard drives in a Qmicra, but price for a WHS box is out of line.

Unless you need a fancy rackmount something or other, even $100-150+ is pretty silly IMO

Think I may go with the Lian Li PC-A59
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=144&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=63

Not SFF by far, but one of the smallest ATX cases around with 3 easily accessible hdd rails inside and available 5.25 bays for future expandability (7 or 8 drives total). I'm aware of the CPU heatsink limitation with the way the PSU is mounted, but I dont think it should be an issue running my e6600 at stock 2.4ghz and no VGA card to add extra heat..

Looks like it' s around 14.75"h x 8.25"w x 19.25"d

or maybe the p180 mini...... :)

2 5.25" does NOT make 4 3.5". 3 5.25" = 4 3.5".
And the Lite's 5.25" cages are separated by steel.

Looking to build a WHS box in as small a case as possible.. Will want the option to use at least 4 hdds and an optical... I have an ATX mobo and an e6600 that I can reuse, but if there's a better case, I have no problems buying a new mini/micro atx board.
Hmm, I'd need a little more info before I could recomend something.

You see, generally speaking, "ATX"-sized motherboards are bigger than 244x244mm, which most small cases referred to aren't able to fit. Unless, of course, your name is Craig, but then we shouldn't be having this conversation in the first place, right? :D

Seriously, now. You have to tell us how small you can go. If you want to use a mini-ITX motherboard (17x17cm), there is a Chenbro NAS case which fits 4 3.5'' drives (on removable caddies!). You can't go smaller than that, AFAIK, with four drives, though you might need to do something about power consumption (200W max power supply, which can be a tight fit - power-wise - with anything more powerful than a VIA or Atom CPU and four power-hungry drives).

Then there are all sorts of uATX cube cases, which can handle at least 4 3.5'' drives, usually up to 6, if you get a 3-in-2 adapter (or make your own) for the two 5.25'' drive bays.

If you want a REALLY small enclosure with not much space to spare, for whatever reason you can't/won't use the Chenbro case, and/or want something more dedicated, I'd say you're probably better off building your own case.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Miguel

Antec 300? And just put it in a closet somewhere... Or you need to decide if you're going to go mATX or mITX first, and then choose a case that suits.

The "mini" p180 isn't really mini, it's basically the same size as a mid tower case, just only takes a mATX motherboard. Again, location of your WHS machine is what's important... will it be somewhere you will need to minimize noise and space, or does it not really matter? A bigger case gives you more room for expansion down the road too without having to rebuild later.

2 5.25" does NOT make 4 3.5". 3 5.25" = 4 3.5".
And the Lite's 5.25" cages are separated by steel.

Whoops should have explained that better.
Using the 2x internal, the one near the window and one in a 5.25 to 3.25 converter giving him the 4 HDD he wanted.

the lian li v350 can take 4 hdd's, 2 in the odd bays (with converters of course) and 2 in the hd bay.

the v350 is pretty expensive though (~105 at mwave) but its nice and matx.

Whoops should have explained that better.
Using the 2x internal, the one near the window and one in a 5.25 to 3.25 converter giving him the 4 HDD he wanted.

In that case the Lite will give 5 drives. There's the 3.5" external you missed that's part of the HD rack.

Antec 300 should be pretty awesome. 10 drives - 6 3.5" and a 3 bay 5.25" + converter (one of these.. http://www.coolerguys.com/840556087472.html) makes it 4.

The chenbro case is awesome, but 4 drives and an e6600 may be pushing the 120w power supply (and will definitely be pushing the heat envelope).

thermaltake wingma VI5000
http://www.thermaltake.com/product_info.aspx?PARENT_CID=C_00000231&id=C_00000232&name=WingMA&ovid=

Model VI5000BNS
Case Type Middle Tower
Dimension (H x W x D) 360.0 x 190.0 x 413.0 mm
(14.2 x 7.5 x 16.3 inch)
Net Weight 4.7 kg / 10.4 lb
Color Black
Material SECC
Cooling System Front (Intake) : 120 x 120 x 25 mm (optional)
Rear (Exhaust) : 120 x 120 x 25 mm TurboFan, 1300rpm, 17dBA
Drive Bays 5.25” Drive Bay - 3
3.5” Drive Bay - 2
3.5” Drive Bay (Hidden) - 4
Expansion Slots 4
Motherboards Micro ATX
I/O Ports USB 2.0 x 2, HD Audio

The chenbro case is awesome, but 4 drives and an e6600 may be pushing the 120w power supply (and will definitely be pushing the heat envelope).

Yeah, I have a core duo (not core2) mobile processor in mine and it runs fine. But the smallness makes it a bitch to work with, and it is a bit pricey. The cooling seems okay with four WD 6400AAKS drives in it, but as a trade off it is kinda loud. :(

Yes, you wouldn't want anything hotter/more power hungry than a 45nm Intel dual-core CPU in that case. AND you need to make sure your HDDs support staggered spin-up, or else you'll be limited to three HDDs and the motherboard.

At least that's what I read somewhere that case was tested (they used the DG45FC and an E7200, if I remember correctly, but I don't know where I read the review, sorry).

However, keep in mind that the PW-200 PSUs (both models) are also an option, and mini-box now makes a 150W Pico. Sure, extra expense, but it might just make sense sometimes...

Cheers.

Miguel

AND you need to make sure your HDDs support staggered spin-up, or else you'll be limited to three HDDs and the motherboard.

No staggered spinup for me, and it seems to work okay. Then again, I am using a mobile processor, so it probably uses less power. If anyone is interested, the thread about my build (old) is here.

Like I said, unless small is a big concern for you, it may not be the best case to use. But it does look pretty sharp when it is all done.

No staggered spinup for me, and it seems to work okay. Then again, I am using a mobile processor, so it probably uses less power.
Yes, that is likely to drop power consumption by a lot. Mobile CPUs have a maximum TDP of 35W (except quads, of course), desktop ones almost double it.

The review I talked about was with an LGA775 board, so even considering desktop CPUs don't even touch maximum TDP most of the time (same thing for mobile parts, of course), that can make a pretty tight squeeze, power-wise. Especially if you use high-power drives, like 1st-gen 1TB Barracudas (around 35W at startup, if memory serves me right), or something like that.

And yes, you're right about the "it's not the best case for you unless you want it to be very small". Integrated solutions tend to be that way most of the time. Though the PSU really is the only negative I see in it. Appart from acustics, perhaps, but I never heard one.

Cheers.

Miguel

Especially if you use high-power drives, like 1st-gen 1TB Barracudas (around 35W at startup, if memory serves me right), or something like that.

:eek: Wow, that's a lot of power for a hard drive. I assume it is a spinup transient, but still.

Though the PSU really is the only negative I see in it. Appart from acustics, perhaps, but I never heard one.

The acoustics aren't the best, but the worst part is, because of how small it is, things have to be put together in a very specific order, or else you can't get it all to fit. I had this problem several times when building with this case.

Sorry for the slight threadjack, I will shut up about this case now unless anyone has any questions. :p I just wanted to make sure you know all the facts in case you are seriously considering this case.

:eek: Wow, that's a lot of power for a hard drive. I assume it is a spinup transient, but still.
Yes, it's transient. Those HDDs are guzzlers, and I think they currently hold the record for highest idle temps on the 3.5'' form factor. Even idle power draw is about 10W, if I remember correctly.

As for the specific order to build with that case, that's not a problem. I'm a methodical guy :p Hehehe

Cheers.

Miguel

Meet the baddest Mini-ITX 4-Bay Chassis you'll ever see:

http://www.abee.co.jp/Product/CASE/acubic/T20/index.html

Obviously it's ridiculously expensive and totally not worth it, just something to drool over...

EDIT: Looks like it can actually hold 6 drives not including the 5.25 bays!

Man that is slick..... Exactly what I want but alas pretty expensive (around $250) and difficult to find anywhere to purchase it from.

Here's some guy's build with this case:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showpost.php?p=3509081&postcount=202

8HDD's, full atx, not exactly SFF but pretty small for a system that does a lot more than just file serving for me.

server005.jpg

I love those Japanese cases like Soldam, but they're almost impossible to find here without costing a fortune. If I ever get to travel to Akihabara, they're on my purchase list. Are there any US or even HK/Taiwan resellers at all?

That said, I'm much in the same place you are looking for a new case. Assuming you're not looking for mITX, this is what I've found. I've been thinking that the LianLi V351 is the best option for some time, but now I see that the Qv2 might very well be top of the line. Aside from those two, I also looked into the Silverstone SG04, but I think I'm liking the other two, better. LianLi also has a new, relatively cheap microtower, the PC-A03, which might serve our needs as well.

I think I've decided that the v351/PC-A03 are the best options for a budget build, and the Qv2 is top of the line but considerably more pricey.

8HDD's, full atx, not exactly SFF but pretty small for a system that does a lot more than just file serving for me.

server005.jpg

Mitch, is that the PC-A59? I was thinking about that case (see post #8). Looks pretty slick.. How's that HDD cage? Read a couple reviews that said it ran very hot.

Got any more pics of that rig?

Thanks

I am just finishing up my whs box and I have 5x 3.5 hds and 1 x 2.5 hd in a Sugo SG02-f. I have an external DVDRW USB drive so I didn't need one installed. I also used a Lian-Li 3into2 cage.

It all fits (snuggly) but it will be in my garage so I am going to put some more fans in it as noise is not a problem.

yeah thats a A59-B. I love it, gave me a chance to get a nice full sized atx gigabyte board i built around.

pics are up at

https://mullens.homeserver.com/servergallery/

temps are fine, my WHS disk managment shot is in there, 1 has a stuck thermal probe (58c), i've since added a 1 tb that runs around 35c or so. But for the most part between 35-45, not too bad, not to great, but worth the convience.

i love it.

Back