Case, TJ09?

brownkk

Weaksauce
Hey, So I need a good case that will keep my components cools, first of all here are the specs of the computer:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
8800 Ultra
2GB Corsair Twinx
2 Barracuda HD's

I think thats all thats important so i was thinking for air cooling a TJ-09 would be my bets bet but if i went water cooling would this case work or would i need a different case. Basically all im asking is what case should i get for air cooling and what case should i get for water cooling.

Thank You.

I actually bought a TJ09 last month and returned it. It's a very nice case so don't get me wrong. It's just not worth $300 to me . . . and if you look at my components, you'll see that I don't mind paying a decent price for something if the price is warranted.

The main turn-off for me was the paper thin side panels on the TJ09. The Lian-Li's (and even Coolermaster Stackers) have a nice, thick side panel that is sturdy and can hold up over time.

The Silverstone, much to my surprise, is really, really flimsy to the touch so I didn't know how well it would hold up over the long run. I never got around to install my components into it so I can speak to how well it functions and cools relative to other cases so I can truly answer your question.

Just wanted to chime in and say that Silverstone should be pricing that case at the $200 price point and I think it would be more justified. At $300 (after tax), I think there are better cases.

Hey, So I need a good case that will keep my components cools, first of all here are the specs of the computer:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
8800 Ultra
2GB Corsair Twinx
2 Barracuda HD's

I think thats all thats important so i was thinking for air cooling a TJ-09 would be my bets bet but if i went water cooling would this case work or would i need a different case. Basically all im asking is what case should i get for air cooling and what case should i get for water cooling.

The TJ09 is a great air-cooler, and also has holes in the back to run water-cooling tubes. It's large enough to work with both types of cooling systems.

That said, in looking at your specs I don't see that you really need a water cooling system (unless you will be going for a very extreme OC).

You can put a ton of fans into the TJ09 case: Two exhaust fans in the top, one exhaust fan in the rear (this is built in), one built-in fan that blows across your video card, and you can also put one fan blowing through the hard drive case. Plus, of course the fan that you'll be using on your CPU cooler.

So, air or water cooling depends on exactly what you want to do, but this case will do very well with an air-cooling system.

Steve

You just need to shop around, I paid 200 shipped for my windowed TJ09. It's a great case, I just wish it held more hard drives. Looking at getting a Lian-Li V2000/2100 as well just so I can throw a bunch of hard drive in it. I have a Bad Axe 2, E6600, 2 HD2900XTs and a Strider 1000 in mine, keeps things nice and cool with all the 120mm fans. Shouldn't have any problem water cooling it either, put the rad on the top.

You just need to shop around, I paid 200 shipped for my windowed TJ09. It's a great case, I just wish it held more hard drives. Looking at getting a Lian-Li V2000/2100 as well just so I can throw a bunch of hard drive in it. I have a Bad Axe 2, E6600, 2 HD2900XTs and a Strider 1000 in mine, keeps things nice and cool with all the 120mm fans. Shouldn't have any problem water cooling it either, put the rad on the top.

Well, of course, you can say that about anything. If you look at the specs in my signature, you can bet that I didn't pay full price for a single item in that list. A lot of the items in my system I got for about half of the going rate . . . but the problem with the nicer Silverstone cases is that very few people who have them want to sell them so it's not real easy to find a good deal on one.

Where did you get yours for $200? Had to be an individual seller, right? I don't know of any retailer where you could pick up a TJ09 for $200 shipped.

Well, of course, you can say that about anything. If you look at the specs in my signature, you can bet that I didn't pay full price for a single item in that list. A lot of the items in my system I got for about half of the going rate . . . but the problem with the nicer Silverstone cases is that very few people who have them want to sell them so it's not real easy to find a good deal on one.

Where did you get yours for $200? Had to be an individual seller, right? I don't know of any retailer where you could pick up a TJ09 for $200 shipped.

Got mine for $230 a case. Ordered mine and one for a friend who wanted the same case. was $30 per case for shipping. Its since off sale, but was Sundialmicro.com

I love the case, It's only real major flaw is that you need some longer SATA cables to reach the HDD cages... than and it collects dust like a mother.. but thats just my house.

silverstone and $300 is ok for u and thinking of WC, why not TJ07 :rolleyes:

The TJ-09 is one of the nicest cases available, no doubt, but it really does lend itself better to air cooling than water. If you know you're going to water cool in the future, and you know that you want all components to reside inside the case (including the radiator,) and if you absolutely will not consider cutting or modding the case in any way, then the TJ-09 is not the way to go. If you are okay with mounting the radiator on the back of the case, or are okay with a little bit of mod-work, then by all means consider the TJ-09. Otherwise, the TJ-07 or a Lian Li would be better choice.

Cooler Master is also releasing an all-aluminum version of the Cosmos with the ability to supposedly hold a 120x3 rad without modification. This case, when it comes out in March, will likely prove to be a very compelling alternative.

Get a TJ07..awesome cases for either water or air. On air you can expect all of your drives to run at just about ambient temp, on water expect massive room to place your rads....the tj07 is worlds ahead of the tj09/10 :) imo.

I'm using the TJ09 for my current build and it is fantastic. I opted for the black version with no windows since I'm not into showing off my "bits and pieces" ;) ha. My one complaint would be that the GPU cooling fan kinda gets in the way for HD cable management but so far my build is looking sweet. I can't wait till that sucker is up and running. P.S. I filled that bad boy with some Noctura 120mm fans.

To each his own, IMO paper thin does not describe the side walls on my TJ09 and I have a LL. I don't really plan on drag racing mine but I'm sure it will stand up to the "test if time" just fine. I also got mine for 230 + 15 dollars shipping, brand new. I think if you actually installed some parts actually used the case and shopped around alittle better you might have different observations......:rolleyes: But like I said everyone has their own cup of tea, I just know that I try the cups I say I don't like

I actually bought a TJ09 last month and returned it. It's a very nice case so don't get me wrong. It's just not worth $300 to me . . . and if you look at my components, you'll see that I don't mind paying a decent price for something if the price is warranted.

The main turn-off for me was the paper thin side panels on the TJ09. The Lian-Li's (and even Coolermaster Stackers) have a nice, thick side panel that is sturdy and can hold up over time.

The Silverstone, much to my surprise, is really, really flimsy to the touch so I didn't know how well it would hold up over the long run. I never got around to install my components into it so I can speak to how well it functions and cools relative to other cases so I can truly answer your question.

Just wanted to chime in and say that Silverstone should be pricing that case at the $200 price point and I think it would be more justified. At $300 (after tax), I think there are better cases.

I got mine for $215 and I'm pretty sure it will "hold up over time". I'll bet you that in 5 years that case will still be standing tall and would have not decinigrated into dust. TJ09 is rock solid!

Hey guys . . . don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a crappy case as that's not the case at all. In fact, I'm still trying to find one at a reasonable price so I can truly try it out and put my components in there and see how the case functions. Buying one locally here, it came out to almost $300, which I feel is unreasonable . . . I could justify around $200 for it and I have been searching high and low and have not found any yet.

What I'm saying about the sides is that, upon reading all these raving reviews about the case, I expected different (more solid construction) all the way around and the first time I touched the side panels, they feel pretty flimsy - compared to, say, a Lian-Li that I have on hand.

I have two little kids running around the house and they love to hang out and watch Dad play around with his computer. That said, it's easier for me to imagine them mangling the Silverstone panels than the Lian-Li.

Anyhow, bottom line is, I WILL buy the TJ09 ultimately because I know how I am and I can't rest until my curiosity is satisfied. I'll update my findings if and when I get a TJ09 in hand to build a system in.

I've got a LL PC-60 and a TJ-09 and I think the side comment is BS. Calling LL sturdy and the TJs "paper thin" is a flat out lie. I'd say the sides are about the same and the front panel on the TJ is actually a lot MORE sturdy/thicker. Calling the Silverstone "really really flimsy" is more BS. You're either using hyperbole to try and reinforce your opinion or you're a silverstone hater/LL fanboy, in either case your comments aren't needed here (or anywhere).

Both sides will hold up fine for normal use, neither side will hold up to being kicked across the room. Period.

I've got a LL PC-60 and a TJ-09 and I think the side comment is BS. Calling LL sturdy and the TJs "paper thin" is a flat out lie. I'd say the sides are about the same and the front panel on the TJ is actually a lot MORE sturdy/thicker. Calling the Silverstone "really really flimsy" is more BS. You're either using hyperbole to try and reinforce your opinion or you're a silverstone hater/LL fanboy, in either case your comments aren't needed here (or anywhere).

Both sides will hold up fine for normal use, neither side will hold up to being kicked across the room. Period.

Dude, you're pretty high strung there, huh, buddy? Did you read what I just wrote in the post above yours? I'm neither a Lian Li fanboy nor a Silverstone hater and I'm open to choosing whichever case suits my needs best. And did I not say that it was only a matter of time before I acquired an TJ09?

I did have a V1000B Plus II side panel and the TJ09 side panel next to each other at one point and if you can call those two the same thickness, then you need to have your eyes checked. And I did agree with you in saying that the front of the TJ09 is VERY nice - I had absolutely zero complaints about that, only the side panels. But bottom line is, your LL is different than my LL so we're not comparing the same case.

And who's really the "fanboy" if you're the one getting all worked up and bent out shape over someone expressing their opinion, one that just happens to differ from yours. You can't handle someone else not agreeing with you? Get a grip or take your medication or whatever but what's the purpose of a forum if people can't post their views?

Wow . . . some people . . .

Who's bent out of shape? It's no skin off my ass that you're wrong, I'm just making sure you know it.

And did I not say that it was only a matter of time before I acquired an TJ09?

Yes, which makes no sense if it's as crappy as you say it is, which proves that you're full of it. Why on earth would you be planning on buying a "really really flimsy" 300 dollar case with "paper thin" side panels? Are you an idiot? Or are those maybe exaggerations? From where I'm standing those are really the only two possibilities. You have another explanation?

Who's bent out of shape? It's no skin off my ass that you're wrong, I'm just making sure you know it.

Yes, which makes no sense if it's as crappy as you say it is, which proves that you're full of it. Why on earth would you be planning on buying a "really really flimsy" 300 dollar case with "paper thin" side panels? Are you an idiot? Or are those maybe exaggerations? From where I'm standing those are really the only two possibilities. You have another explanation?

Dude, if it's really no skin off your ass, why did you get all worked up and say stupid things like my comments aren't welcomed on a MESSAGE BOARD?!?!?! Hello, what else do you do on a message board BUT post your comments?

You're missing the point Silverstone fanboy.

I'm saying that given all the hype this case has gotten, my expectations were very high for this case and it did not live up to the hype or the $300 price tag. I'm looking to buy one because I feel it's still a good case at about $200 or less, which is what I'll pay for it. I never said it was a crappy case, to the contrary, I said it was a very nice case with surprisingly thin side panels. But apparently, you can't sleep at night if anyone says anything that is slightly negative about Silverstone.

So I'll tell you what, since you're so disturbed by this . . . can we be BFF's if I just go with the flow and praise Silverstone to no end and worship their every move like you seem to want to do?

"Silverstone is the best company in the world. They make the best cases in the world, bar none. There is nothing that Silverstone can do that is wrong; they and their cases are perfect."

Cool?

Wanna go to the mall and hang out now?

Well, I can see your point about the side panels. In my book they no way deter from the glory that is the TJ09, but they probably are the least impressive element of the case (in terms of build quality/thickness. I just can't wait to get my build done, that thing is going to be a friggn windtunnel.

I have owned a TJ09 for sometime now..I was so happy when I got it..Then there was no case screws with the shipment. Had to wait about 10 days on that one..The side panels could be thicker and the hard drive placement makes things difficult to do a clean wiring. 5 X 120mm fans makes for good airflow..That being said wait till you try and change out the center fan.
I have put 5 different systems in my case and after awhile things get easy. Did I say the center fan is very hard to change out.
I am sure will will enjoy this case..so congrats..Did I say the center fan is a FREEKIN nightmare to change..:)

Well, I can see your point about the side panels. In my book they no way deter from the glory that is the TJ09, but they probably are the least impressive element of the case (in terms of build quality/thickness. I just can't wait to get my build done, that thing is going to be a friggn windtunnel.

LOL . . . Jesuswept and sdgserv, you better watch what you say about the TJ-09 (or ANY Silverstone cases for that matter) . . . b/c you don't want nicolaskl trudge his red-ass in here calling you a Silverstone hater and petitioning for Kyle to ban you from the forum b/c you're not a charter member in his Silverstone fan club!!!

I'm glad you understand what I'm talking about. Given the way they made the front so nice (I think it's like 5mm aluminum), I don't understand why they basically skimped on the side panels . . . which, in comparison to the front bezel, IS essentially paper thin. I'm sure they did it for weight issues but it doesn't take away from the fact that they are much thinner than I think they should be. (Let me qualify that last statement to reiterate very clearly that this is MY OPINION, lest my BFF nicolas gets his panties in a bunch again!!!)

As for the center fan, I've also read that it is a big pain to change - but there are detailed instructions in a another thread dedicated to the TJ-09 in the Case Modding sub-forum.

Anyhow, I should know by this time tomorrow whether or not I have a deal lined up for one so we'll see how it goes. I do have one last question, though: along with the warranty card - does it also come with a registration card for The Silverstone Fan Club? If not, does anyone know where I can get one pronto? ;)

yeah, Once you buy a TJ09 you are bound to it 4life. You have to take a blood oath before you even open the box ;)

I'm still on the side that its the best case I've ever had the pleasure to work with. The middle fan does pose a challenge. I would hate to try and change it. I've been wiring that bastard on and off for the past week and it can get complicated due to the hard drive cage being behind that middle fan. I will post my finish build once I have everything hooked up. I would like to see how other people delt with wiring that bad boy.

P.S I just kissed my side panel, haha

Let me say I don't own one...

But I been thinking about it for a while. It seems like a nice case but it has two turn offs for me..

1) I never seen a good wiring job on that case. it has no wire management.

2) I don't like the hard drives so close to the front cooling duct. People say it makes the drives noisy and I buy into that.

I think I will play it safe and just get a cheap 182b instead... Its much uglier sure - but it will save me 200 bucks and will run quieter to boot.

Pete

Yeah, it is tough to wire manage, a modular PSU does help out alot, at least in my case (heh literally and figuratively) it did. Its a challenge that IMO can be overcome in any case. As for the HD noise issue, I don't really have it. There is mesh where the HDD's are in the front, but I don't notice any excess noise because of it, It runs noise wise just as much as my A05b (my A05 does have 2 120's in the top that doesn't come stock) As for the front duct placement in relation to the HDD's, the HDD's are in their own chamber, the front duct or VGA duct as its called drawls cool air from the sides, not from the HDD chamber because thats sealed, also the HDD fan blows top to bottom, where there is mesh for an exhaust. If anything, uncontrolled top fans, and depending on the fan brand as well, are the most noisy part of the case IMO.

I have a TJ09 coming in tomorrow and I looking to get my components in there over the weekend. One quick question, what direction should the HD fan be blowing. Should it be drawing air in through the mesh side or expelling air through the side?

To me it would make sense to have it draw air in compared to having it push the hot air out which would be drawn in again by the VGA fan.

Hope that makes sense.

edit one more thing

What orientation should the hard drives be in for optimal cooling? If I place them on their sides, does it matter which side?

I have a TJ09 coming in tomorrow and I looking to get my components in there over the weekend. One quick question, what direction should the HD fan be blowing. Should it be drawing air in through the mesh side or expelling air through the side?

To me it would make sense to have it draw air in compared to having it push the hot air out which would be drawn in again by the VGA fan.

If you look here you can see that the only way to orient the HD fan is to suck air from the bottom or blow it out towards the bottom mesh The HD fan will have no impact on the VGA fan. The compartments are totally separated. Orientation of the drives on one side of the other really wouldn't matter.

If you look here you can see that the only way to orient the HD fan is to suck air from the bottom or blow it out towards the bottom mesh The HD fan will have no impact on the VGA fan. The compartments are totally separated. Orientation of the drives on one side of the other really wouldn't matter.

What would be the best way to go?

pulling air in from the bottom mesh OR blowing out towards the bottom mesh.

THANKS JESUS!!!!!

while I am here, should the top two 120's be intake fresh air OR expelling hot air?

From what I read that fan in the drive bay is pretty insignificant. I did put on in a fan blowing towards the mesh. I'm kinda afraid to suck any air from a bottom mesh due to the extra dust and particles that could enter from my carpet.

Oh,the top is a differn't story. I would for sure go with two fans up top (I have them expelling the hot air). I replaced the stock Silverstone fan and put in a 120mm Noctua NF-S12. I also have 2 of those running up top and in the hard drive bay. I don't have a mobo or vid cads in yet but I did a test on arflow today. Wow , that thing is a friggn windtunnel and feels pretty chilly. With all those fans in I was surprised by how quiet it was. I highly reccomend you spend the extra case and get some 120mm Noctua NF-S12's. Trust me, you are going to love this case and its aircooling properties.

Get the TJ07 instead. The standoffs are tall enough that you can even run the main ATX 24pin under your motherboard :D Super clean wiring FTW. Cost is comparable. I don't know why people would get a TJ09 when the TJ07 is about. Room to mount 2 power supplies - twice as many 5.25 inch bays as the tj10, while retaining 6x3.5 bays... 4x120mm and 2x92mm fans.

Get the TJ07 instead. The standoffs are tall enough that you can even run the main ATX 24pin under your motherboard :D Super clean wiring FTW. Cost is comparable. I don't know why people would get a TJ09 when the TJ07 is about. Room to mount 2 power supplies - twice as many 5.25 inch bays as the tj10, while retaining 6x3.5 bays... 4x120mm and 2x92mm fans.

It's all personal preference I guess. Some people, myself included, may not like the looks of the TJ07 vs. the TJ09. It looks OK but just not crazy about the rounded edges. Inside does look roomy and seems better for water cooling. But I have no immediate interest in watercooling so I went for the TJ09 instead.

BTW, I did finally find a deal on a TJ09 . . . and I'm getting a "new, open-box" black non-windowed one for $144.20 delivered to my door. That's a great deal for this case!

wow, solid deal. That's exactly what I have (black non-windowed). It's a slick looking mamajamma. Windows are for jerks and glory hounds ;) ha that made no sense.

:D My ideal choice would've been a silver, windowed version . . . but for this price, I can't be too choosy. Heck, at this price, the side panels can be as thin as they want! ;) LOL

Recently did a build with the TJ-10 (same as TJ-09 but with the door). For now, I've got the two top fans blowing cool air in the case, and the rear exhausting air out the back. I was too lazy to reverse the flow on the back fan, but will give that a try later for comparisons.

Using this configuration, I was able to turn the fan completely off on the Nirvana 120 HSF (which I have set up to blow to the exhaust fan), with only a couple degrees change in temp and a much quieter system.

I have been 3 months trying to decide which Silverstone I would buy and I have finally decided on th TJ 07 This way if I ever do decide to water cool I will be all ready.:)

Back