Catalyst 10.7 Available Now

Are you installing from a previous version?

I uninstall my Nvidia and install my new ATI card last night and everything is working fine.

Are you installing from a previous version?

I uninstall my Nvidia and install my new ATI card last night and everything is working fine.
I'm currently running 10.3.
I've tried installing over 10.3 as well as trying to uninstall/driversweep before installing. No luck.

Just to see, I also tried installing 10.4, which didn't work either. I noticed that when I try to uninstall 10.3 the uninstaller seems to completely fail as games/CCC will still work until I run driversweeper :confused:

Try this.

Boot in F8 with Network. (safe mode)

Go to Control Panel/Device Maanger and Uninstall your Display.

Use Driversweep to clean out your ATI display. Dont reboot yet.

Use CCleaner and clean your Registry. Rescan and do again until no more registry to clean.

Now reboot and do custom install of CCC.

Is hardware acceleration of videos fixed? By that i mean the BSOD that you get in videos using DXVA, or youtube with flashes "hardware acceleration" turned on

Nope, not fixed. Memory clock still drops from 1000MHz to 900MHz when watching hardware accelerated flash video, DXVA accelerated video, or the new hardware accelerated VLC. This jump can cause a crash (at the very least, it causes all your monitors to flicker).

Last edited:
I see posting problems here and there about ATI and CCC. Is this a stable software?

I never have this problem with Nvidia and I been using that until yesterday.

The majority of the people claiming to have problems with ati software are the same people who continue to use the ridiculously antiquated process of driversweeper/safemode installations. I've personally experienced driver issues ONLY when I did this method. Do not use driver sweeper and know a little about maintaining an operating system / computer hardware and you should not experience any Ati/CCC issues.

5870 since January (catalyst 9.12 -> 10.8beta) having had no driver GSOD/BSOD or other weird problems.

I'm currently running 10.3. I've tried installing over 10.3 as well as trying to uninstall/driversweep before installing. No luck.
Try running the .NET 3.5 redistributable. This was one of the steps XFX detailed in my case and it may have played a part in the driver installing correctly.

Worth a shot, anyway.

I see posting problems here and there about ATI and CCC. Is this a stable software?
In my experiences, no.

at the very least, it causes all your monitors to flicker.

I don't even see my monitor flicker when it jumps. Every transition of the power profile is completely smooth with my 5870. I'm at a lost as to why I don't have this issue when so many others do.

I have to use safemode cause u cant uninstall the driver like that.

ATI/CCC software is unstable? LOL

I don't even see my monitor flicker when it jumps. Every transition of the power profile is completely smooth with my 5870. I'm at a lost as to why I don't have this issue when so many others do.

The flicker is caused by the memory clock changing, not the core clock. If your memory clock stays constant, you wont get flickering.

The flicker is caused by the memory clock changing, not the core clock. If your memory clock stays constant, you wont get flickering.

Memory is changing, from 1275 to 900. Still no flicker. I only remember flickering with my old 4890 and when I had multiple monitors hooked to my 5870 when it idled at 157/300.

I saw my screen go blank for like 2-3 sec today. I am on the watch out for this.

The majority of the people claiming to have problems with ati software are the same people who continue to use the ridiculously antiquated process of driversweeper/safemode installations. I've personally experienced driver issues ONLY when I did this method. Do not use driver sweeper and know a little about maintaining an operating system / computer hardware and you should not experience any Ati/CCC issues.

5870 since January (catalyst 9.12 -> 10.8beta) having had no driver GSOD/BSOD or other weird problems.

Then... how do you install the ATI Drivers?

Control panel -> add/remove -> uninstall ati catalyst install manager -> reboot -> delete ati folder in appdata local -> install new ati drivers -> reboot.

Some don't even bother with all the steps described above; they simply install over top. This is the way I and many others successfully install graphics drivers without so much as a hint of an issue. In fact, I've often wished I could experience a grey screen or an install quirk just because it'd be interesting.

Control panel -> add/remove -> uninstall ati catalyst install manager -> reboot -> delete ati folder in appdata local -> install new ati drivers -> reboot.

Some don't even bother with all the steps described above; they simply install over top. This is the way I and many others successfully install graphics drivers without so much as a hint of an issue. In fact, I've often wished I could experience a grey screen or an install quirk just because it'd be interesting.

Thanks. That's the way I use to do it, when someone told me to use Driver Sweeper and go through Safe Mode was best option :rolleyes:

Thanks. That's the way I use to do it, when someone told me to use Driver Sweeper and go through Safe Mode was best option :rolleyes:

I learn this skillset above from Nvidia tech support one time when my HDTV would not stay on the left and it keep revert back when I hit APPLY button!

So you see???

I don't even uninstall the old one. Just install right over top. Part of the installation process removes the old drivers. Worked like a charm since my ATI 9700 pro.

I don't even uninstall the old one. Just install right over top. Part of the installation process removes the old drivers. Worked like a charm since my ATI 9700 pro.

Yup this is how I do it and how the ATI driver team recommends you do it.

Bah. I get the same Blue Screen crashes after installing these that I got with the 10.6 drivers. Back to 10.4... again.

10.6 have worked great for me. I'm gonna stick with these after hearing so many complaints about 10.7.

10.7 working A+ for me, but it still underclocks from 400/1250 to 400/900 when watching online videos, when using two monitors

Not a 10.7 specific thing though, been like that since they "fixed" dual monitor powerplay issues in 10.5 or whatever. I'm not sure why ATi decided that watching a video counts as a different state then idle?

people like wasting their time....

just install right over the old driver and keep on going, never had a problem doing it that way

I've also always installed straight over the old drivers and I've not had driver problems since my old 9800XT, which sometimes required me to install the drivers two times before they would work properly. Now a days there should be no need to uninstall the old drivers unless there's actually something wrong with the current driver installation.

Okay, weird. I tried uninstalling all ATI drivers off my system, then reinstalling the new 10.7 drivers. However, the driver install simply... fails. It reverts back to 10.4 somehow.

No problems with 10.7.
Actually I haven't had problems with any of the driver versions since building my rig ~4 months ago. 10.5 and 10.6 worked perfectly.

Thanks. This thread and UFO and Big Foot are all the things of 'what do you believe?' or "Believe It or Not".

It's starting to feel like ATi spins a wheel to decide what will be broken and what will be fixed in each driver.

So far, 10.4 still appears to be the lesser of all evils. Overclocking is bugged, but it can be worked around easily by editing and applying a CCC profile. When I switch between Eyefinity and Extended Desktop it doesn't put my monitors back in the wrong order. Oh, and they don't have any problems with OpenGL games like these newer drivers do.

I'm thinking about selling my HD5850 and DisplayPort adapter so I can pick up a second GTX260 (I already have one, was my old card and is now a dedicated PhysX card). I'll make money and end up with faster performance overall (around HD5870 performance).

Come on ATi, stop making me regret leaving Nvidia.

Are you guys serious?

All my computer life I had been with Nvidia. I finally started to use ATI since 2 days ago and now this?

10.7 didn't work out for me - I had to go back to 10.6. I started getting out of memory errors while gaming and folding at the same time (4 gigs system memory) and I don't have that problem with 10.6 drivers. :(

WOW!

This is bad. You guys might want to try out Nvidia if you are not into 3 monitor.

Never had one problem with Ati drivers not one. All my games work perfect. To each his own..

WOW!

This is bad. You guys might want to try out Nvidia if you are not into 3 monitor.

That's why I mentioned GTX260 SLI. Then I could use Nvidia Surround instead of ATi Eyefinity and retain triple-monitor gaming with better performance, better drivers, and money in my pocket.

The hassle of selling my HD5850 is pretty much the only thing keeping it in my system at the moment. I also want to see if they can fix crossfire scaling, but I can only wait so long.

Never had one problem with Ati drivers not one. All my games work perfect. To each his own..

Try to play Doom 3, Quake 4, Quake Wars, or anything else based on the IDTech4 engine with the 10.5, 10.6, or 10.7 drivers. You'll experience all kinds of visual artifacts like Z-fighting and HUD flickering. Somone else in this thread reported that they couldn't get Quake III to launch at all with these drivers, so I suspect ATi has created some sort of OpenGL bug.

Going back to 10.4 fixes these issues immediately.

Edit: The situation is so bad that the guys over at +++++ have started kitbashing multiple driver revisions together to get a decently working driver. Current progress on that is here

Last edited:
not true.

ati recommends uninstalling the old drivers first.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx#header3

i do that but before installing new drivers i go into safe mode and run driversweeper followed by a ccleaner registry sweep. been doing it that way for years now, never have issues.

When you run the new driver install, the first thing it does is give you the option to uninstall the old drivers completely. That's what I do. Then I restart and run it again. It's a pretty simple concept.

When is Nvidia going to have 3 output per card? Do they support Displayport?

They already have cards with three outputs. The dual-PCB version of the GTX295 will do Nvidia Surround all by itself (you don't need a second graphics card, and you don't need an SLI motherboard).

Back