CODMW2 most pirated game of 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of the piracy numbers, it still outsold MW1 and made them a ton of money. Same on sims 3. I understand piracy killing sales, but those are both good arguments that piracy =/= lost sales. I know that at least in my group of peoplt the MW2 fiasco spurred quite a few more indie game purchases instead of dropping the money on MW2 and they wanted to support the developers hopefully making the next generation of great PC games.

Prosecution entails litigation. They are different concepts but they're also intrinsically linked. How could a prosecutor possibly claim otherwise?

I don't intend to armchair moderate here, but I'd suggest refraining from personal attacks as enough of them will invariably lead to the thread being closed.

they are not differen't concepts, they are different jobs. they are similiar is that they entail a close approximate skill set, however the goals and considerations of each are vastly differen't.

It is easy to go from being a prosecutor to a litagator but not the other way around. "litigation" is used often exclusively with civil matters, where the goal, rules, means and outside considerations are vastly different from a "prosecution" which is limited to criminal matters. criminal->extremely easy, criminal -> extemely difficult. of course this is why it's so hard to keep good prosecutors.

So while the lamen may view litigation and prosecution as the same, I assure they are not, just as Precise and Accurate maybe be the same to the layman they are not the same for the scientist.

Another outlandish opinion on these forums with nothing to support it, big surprise.

How did the millions of people who purchased it on day one manage to play it before it was released? How did they decide that it was good before they played it?

How did the millions of people who purchased it on day one manage to play it before it was released? How did they decide that it was good before they played it?

How is any games quality determined before release? Uhm, reviews typically help it out. Videos and screen shots of the game play are a fair indication of quality. I agree there is a reputation for the game that caused a huge buzz about it, but come on a lot of research was done on it as well by consumers before they purchased it.

I saw more commercials for this game before it was released than any game ever. Not to mention all the press FOX gave it. God, the whole thing has become more irritating that OJ and Michael Vick combined.

I saw more commercials for this game before it was released than any game ever. Not to mention all the press FOX gave it. God, the whole thing has become more irritating that OJ and Michael Vick combined.

Woah, don't forget Favre.

How is any games quality determined before release? Uhm, reviews typically help it out. Videos and screen shots of the game play are a fair indication of quality. I agree there is a reputation for the game that caused a huge buzz about it, but come on a lot of research was done on it as well by consumers before they purchased it.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/plantsvszombies

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/modernwarfare2?q=modern warfare 2

Essentially Plants vs zombies is a better game rated both by reviewers and users (damn right it is) but the insane amount of hype and advertising made all the difference.

If Plants vs Zombies had a hysterical OMEGA campaign and CODMW2 had one measily though super awesome youtube trailer the roles could easily be reversed.

There actually weren't many prerelease reviews. I actually don't recall any at all, but as one article mentioned the controlled environments of the reviews has been called into question.

Wonder where they got those numbers? I' sure they would never just arbitrarily extrapolate from a statistically insignificant sample size.

Well also MW2 is on consoles and PC so it has a much larger market. Also pop cap just doesn't have many games with lasting value. Diner dash was good, but you beat it and then onto the next $10 or so game. The replay value is so much higher for modern warfare especially if you play online. Anyway I've already stated the game was seriously hyped.

But my friends and I all watched game play videos and read previews before the game came out. I bet most of the people on this gaming forum also did just that (see pissed off PC gamer threads as well). So saying that everyone bought it for reasons other than quality is erroneous.

I would like to see these, because i am skepitcal, more than half the people we prosecute for petit larceny could easily have saved and got the item they wanted, the other half are drug addicts. I don't think drug addicts are downloading games. most of these people could at some point i would argue afford the game, so im not buying that, show me the study.

most digital piracy i would characterize as a crime of choice rather than neccessity. I would bet that if they couldn't pirated it sooner or later they would have bough it. and that's how it use to work in the pc world. games like deux ex, temple of elmental evil, system shcok 2, became hits over a longer time period.

I have no doubt that many of those people would have caved eventually and bought mw2 months later, as it was common in the pc land, before piracy became rampant.
For one thing most of these people are in India, Russia, etc. They couldn't buy the game if they wanted. Go to some torrent site and grab a torrent for a game. See how many US ips you connect to. Throw in wealthy Europian countries too.
A BIG part of piracy is non-US and kids that don't have money.
Frankly, piracy is a huge pain in the ass, and you usually can't even use multiplayer.

I think you may not have understood. Saying that ANYONE who has an illegal copy of any media would NEVER have purchased said media is a short bus mentality.

But that's not what he said. He said that on average, since we're not talking about an individual case, but the whole market, the pirated sales don't lower the number of buyers. You can't take market sales and extrapolate individual buying patterns; you're confidence interval is way too large. Also please don't try to red-herring me. No one said that these people would NEVER buy the game. They just most likely wouldn't have bought that game in a period relevant to the developer. Remember that used game sales are grey market and contribute nothing to the game developer's sales figures.

Yes if we're talking about a single buyer, and tracking him year to year, and find that with the advent of piracy he started buying less we could say that. By that same token we should examine what kind of word of mouth he is giving to his friends and peers and see what kind of sales effect that has.

The people on the short bus are the ones who are claiming that piracy is killing game sales in the U.S without any backing evidence. While that kind of reasoning may have a gut-intuitive appeal, when examined further it doesn't hold much weight. If this were the case I'd ask why ANY free models work. Why can a company like Google let every single product it makes be pirated, and yet still rakes in some of the largest profits. I'll give you a hint: it has little do with in-product advertising, and everything to do with word-of mouth advertising of how great (or poor) the product is.

Piracy most likely gives an enormous advertising boost to many entertainment titles, as is evidenced by every increasing product sales and rising revenues, while costing absolutely nothing to the producing company beyond sales that were most likely not there to begin. Every person I know that pirates titles has no money. If they like the game they tell their friends, and their friends usually end up purchasing (or if they pirate, also have no money). The people pirating were most likely not going to buy the title to begin with. Most people don't love sacrificing their ethics, and unless they truly did not have the money, and were not going to purchase the title anyway, don't pirate. And other than the industry's ego trip, it makes no sense going after pirates when your sales figures are growing. Yes there was probably an initial period of lost sales when P2P became mainstream, but like drugs & drug enforcement, these temporary jumps in use drop below pre-deregulated levels in a fairly short period of time (studies on drug de-regulation suggest about 2 decades, 19 years). The argument you're using is the same one that some government officials use to support War on Drugs, despite every tool we have saying that drug enforcement on the whole ends up costing a ton to the economy, while doing quite literally nothing to curtail the use and sales of drugs (again on average, and this is being generous; most likely harsh drug enforcement actually increases the use of drugs, unless you live in Singapore and said enforcement carries a mortal sentence).

Last edited by a moderator:
They deserve it, to be honest.

Releasing a crappy console port for $60 (console price) is unforgivable and insulting.

If they want to blame poor sales on anyone, they can blame themselves, not piracy.

There are a few subgroups of pirates. You have the ones who will pirate the game no matter what. You have those who pirate the game to see what it's like, then decide whether to buy (in these cases where people do buy the game afterwards, figures for sales and instances of piracy overlap), and with the rise of anti-PC development of games for the platform, there are those who pirate the game as a form of civil disobedience, since boycotting has proven ineffective at getting a message across.

I am not condoning piracy, as it only damages the industry, but citing that there is one sole motive of getting something for free is too simplistic a view to take of a fast-growing problem. The same efforts put into knee-jerk reactions to piracy and punishing offenders needs to also be put into why people pirate and how the problem can be treated with incentives as well as deterrents.

The key issue here is that IW raped the game experience, especially for PC gamers, charged them MORE, and blamed all of it on trying to prevent piracy and cheaters. There has been more piracy and rampant cheating, some of it out of spite due to IW's attitude, than any other game this year. This should show them that their attempts were in vain, and they should focus on making a great gaming experience instead of punishing those that actually buy their software and then expecting them to buy more.

Releasing a crappy console port for $60 (console price) is unforgivable and insulting.

If they want to blame poor sales on anyone, they can blame themselves, not piracy.

The games sales weren't poor though.

This is BS. If you didn't like a game then don't play it. I am so sick and tired of crooks and deadbeats making up excuses for stealing.

This is BS. If you didn't like a game then don't play it. I am so sick and tired of crooks and deadbeats making up excuses for stealing.

And I'm tired of bleeding hearts who defend lazy ass companies putting out half assed games.

I guess we are tired of each other? So maybe you should fuck off?

compared to the console versions, they were hella bad. The game could have sold A LOT more if they put a little more effort into it.

Not really. IW said this was the BEST selling CoD EVER on the PC. They still made a nice chunk of change.

But that's not what he said.

Read his quote again. It is what he said. The rest of your post has nothing to do with what I am saying.

Originally Posted by Spare-Flair
Studies have shown that pirated copies of anything =/= lost sales. Those were people who were never going to purchase the product anyway.

Not really. IW said this was the BEST selling CoD EVER on the PC. They still made a nice chunk of change.

So the shitty console multiplayer and 4 hour long single player campaign didn't affect sales at all?

Are you stupid or just trolling?

And I'm tired of bleeding hearts who defend lazy ass companies putting out half assed games.

I guess we are tired of each other? So maybe you should fuck off?

Like I said, don't buy it or play it if you don't like it. Since when did abiding by the LAW become a crime?:confused:

So the shitty console multiplayer and 4 hour long single player campaign didn't affect sales at all?

Are you stupid or just trolling?

Dude, back up. This is what IW said not me. I'll find the link but I read this a few weeks ago.

The key issue here is that IW raped the game experience, especially for PC gamers, charged them MORE, and blamed all of it on trying to prevent piracy and cheaters. There has been more piracy and rampant cheating, some of it out of spite due to IW's attitude, than any other game this year. This should show them that their attempts were in vain, and they should focus on making a great gaming experience instead of punishing those that actually buy their software and then expecting them to buy more.

The game experience IMO is actually quite good. Graphics were stellar and make cod4 look out dated. Additionally, the modeling of the characters and vehichles were top notch, and far surpass that of Crysis. Well worth the $60 price tag. You could of even gotten the game for $30 at one point. Spec ops really does extend the short single player campaign nicely.

Like I said, don't buy it or play it if you don't like it. Since when did abiding by the LAW become a crime?:confused:

Since whiny gamers decided if they don't get their way, then someone owes them something obviously.

modeling of the characters and vehichles were top notch, and far surpass that of Crysis.

I respectfully disagree. Crysis in all of its glory is still the best looking game overall I've ever seen on a PC or console.

I also want to note the the good graphics actually translate into multiplayer mode as well. In COD4 going from single player to multi, you'd notice a slight deterioration in graphics...where as in MW2 you are seeing the really nice graphics translate over to the multiplayer gameplay. This to me makes the game really worth the price of admission.

http://kotaku.com/5426474/report-modern-warfare-2-pc-us-retail-sales-about-170000-in-november

170,000 + steam sales

maybe 300,000

That's pathetic for a game of this caliber. Why? Because Activision pissed off just about everyone who wanted to buy the game.

Like I said, IW said the game did better than the other CoD games, so if these sales sucked for MW2 then what does that mean for the other games in the CoD franchise on the PC? And yet they still made MW2 for the PC. Hmmm.

I bought two copies for Christmas presents one the PC and the Xbox.

MW2 doesn't rival Crysis' models.
I'm not even sure it makes MW look "dated"; that's exaggeration, imo.

19 days vs. 4.2 years. Right!:p Really, quit embarrassing yourself.

Wait, are you saying that mw2 sold more pc copies in 19 days than cod4 did on the pc in 4.2 years...wait a sec. cod4 is 4 years old?

Like I said, IW said the game did better than the other CoD games, so if these sales sucked for MW2 then what does that mean for the other games in the CoD franchise on the PC? And yet they still made MW2 for the PC. Hmmm.

I bought two copies for Christmas presents one the PC and the Xbox.

COD4 did NOT have the hype that MW2 did. The game SHOULD have and COULD HAVE sold far more than it did, if Activision didn't fuck up so badly.

What they did was a quick money grab port and pretty much everyone knows that.

MW2 doesn't rival Crysis' models.
I'm not even sure it makes MW look "dated"; that's exaggeration, imo.

So you've played the game on a decent system I take it? Please don't tell me you are playing on a console.

The chinese models even in enthusiast settings don't look too good. I'd take screen shots and put them side by side but I don't have crysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back