Computer Criminals of Today As Imagined in 1980

Lol.

Computer criminals, and a purported "confession" in 1982.. As a lover of most things Atari, I hate to point out that they hardly stopped at enforcing existing IP crimes (the article linked deals with selling pirated software) to include "copycat" games that somewhat resembled anything Atari did (this was long before the notorious "look and feel" spreadsheet lawsuit).

Sure it predicts computer crime, but it also predicts that we have no muggings, car thefts or burglaries. Too bad it was wrong about that.

Well, the crime rates have been declining pretty steadily since computers became popular in the '90s. Of course, correlation does not equal causation. Heck, that article talks about lead levels. I think it's the popularity of gaming keeping people off the streets.

by the time it takes for even modern tape drives to fill that tape I hope the police would catch him.

I'm getting a vibe that all Cyber criminals look like Luke Wilson though.

I disagree with wall computer in the 80's We have some of the first HP PC's in storage at the office and they where pretty powerful at that time. 32 bit and all I think they are from 82-84ish HP 9000's Even the portable HP 75's we have are still pretty cool in 2011. Granted we are a computer software company that started in 78 and stayed on top of the latest and greatest till about the pentium3 era. By the 80's wall sized mainframes were on the way out.

Thank god I keep all of my computer cassettes in a lock box, also, I've managed to do away with their necessity so I got rid of the lock box as well.

Well, the crime rates have been declining pretty steadily since computers became popular in the '90s. Of course, correlation does not equal causation. Heck, that article talks about lead levels. I think it's the popularity of gaming keeping people off the streets.

The book Freakonomics brings up a rather controversial reason for why this is. I won't bring it up here though, as I have no intent of starting a flame war.

Does anyone know what magazine this was taken from?

Zarathustra[H];1037011988 said:
Does anyone know what magazine this was taken from?

See post above yours. It's a book from 81.

World of Tomorrow - School, Work and Play

Back