Conroe vs. AMD FX-62

Donnie27 said:
Hehehe! I hope you know the BS comment was a joke? Wow it still seems wild seeing you on the "Dark Side" :) Nice overclock you got there.

well, at 2GHz the celeron M is decent but I would like to get more. Not enough options on this board =/ And yeah, the dark side is pretty nice. I think I might stay for a while :p

sabrewolf732 said:
well, at 2GHz the celeron M is decent but I would like to get more. Not enough options on this board =/ And yeah, the dark side is pretty nice. I think I might stay for a while :p

You might want to follow that system up with the 1.83GHz Conroe. There's a lot of talk about retro fitted for Conroe i945 and i955's boards at budget prices.

Donnie27 said:
You might want to follow that system up with the 1.83GHz Conroe. There's a lot of talk about retro fitted for Conroe i945 and i955's boards at budget prices.

I'm intrigued :p I was planning on going conroe, which is why I got this cheap combo ($125 for the board and proc) so I could keep my ddr2 when I go conroe :D Hopefully I can hold off until I see what k8l has to offer, I might not be able to resist conroe's performance though :p

Donnie27 said:
I'm going to hve to blame you're comments on BS! :p I thought maybe it was something I was doing too. That's why a I let an AMDroid buddy of mine try it. He has one of those Golden sample Opty 165s at 3GHz and he couldn't overclock my 3500+ either :( Unless you call 180MHz an overclock.

Opterons OC so much because they use strained SOI+DSL while not all A64 benefited from these IIRC , in other words they use the best AMD manufacturing can muster.

savantu said:
Opterons OC so much because they use strained SOI+DSL while not all A64 benefited from these IIRC , in other words they use the best AMD manufacturing can muster.

Yup! Yet there are some 165s that will not quite do 2.8GHz as well.

sabrewolf732 said:
I'm intrigued :p I was planning on going conroe, which is why I got this cheap combo ($125 for the board and proc) so I could keep my ddr2 when I go conroe :D Hopefully I can hold off until I see what k8l has to offer, I might not be able to resist conroe's performance though :p

K8L is too far off to worry about. I might look at it next summer.

Ya K8l is to far off . But it does look interesting. I might look at it in jan . of 08. but than again Penryn will be out by than . Followed by Nehalem in mid 08. So many far off future decisions to make . Whats a hardware junky to do?

$BangforThe$ said:
Ya K8l is to far off . But it does look interesting. I might look at it in jan . of 08. but than again Penryn will be out by than . Followed by Nehalem in mid 08. So many far off future decisions to make . Whats a hardware junky to do?

Nehalem has IMC and CSI.If AMD losses those 2 advantages , I wouldn't give a nickel on K8L. :eek:

$BangforThe$ said:

I hope you're wrong. Intel will have no reason to keep prices lower otherwise.

Donnie by going to die shrink Intel makes more money threw more parts per waffer. They don't have to raise prices to make higher margins on a smaller process.

$BangforThe$ said:
Donnie by going to die shrink Intel makes more money threw more parts per waffer. They don't have to raise prices to make higher margins on a smaller process.

Um, no you don't understand. Intel's prices aren't so cheap because they're being nice. Just like amd jacked it's prices when it got the lead. They're doing it because they want the market back. If there's no competition, and no one for them to beat.... then they jack prices.

sabrewolf732 said:
Um, no you don't understand. Intel's prices aren't so cheap because they're being nice. Just like amd jacked it's prices when it got the lead. They're doing it because they want the market back. If there's no competition, and no one for them to beat.... then they jack prices.
I don' t think I can ever remember a time where Intel actually raised prices on it's CPU probably with no incentive to lower pricing, price on the processor will reamin static.

coldpower27 said:
I don' t think I can ever remember a time where Intel actually raised prices on it's CPU probably with no incentive to lower pricing, price on the processor will reamin static.
Correct. I can, however, remember a time (just a few weeks ago), when another CPU maker quietly raised their prices.

coldpower27 said:

Intel never really got it's ass whooped either, except for k8. Intel's processor prices dropped relative the the amount it was getting beat... right now intel's processor prices are cheaper than ever.

$BangforThe$ said:

Technically, some of their costs go up. As in the initial R&D to get that process up & running. Each process has gotten a little hard. Though the 64nm process seemed to go very smoothly compared to other shrinks.

Only some of their adjustable costs go down with a die shrink. Then higher volumes lets them spread their fixed costs over more processors to lower the cost per processor a little bit, but like I said it took more R&D to get to each success shrink.

$BangforThe$ said:

No but when the next models ship, they'll cost more. Simple supply and demand at work. If Core 2 Duo is a hit, Core 3 Duo will cost more=P

sabrewolf732 said:
Intel never really got it's ass whooped either, except for k8. Intel's processor prices dropped relative the the amount it was getting beat... right now intel's processor prices are cheaper than ever.

WOW! QFT! Also glute comes into play, they've rampped wayyyy to well.

InorganicMatter said:
Correct. I can, however, remember a time (just a few weeks ago), when another CPU maker quietly raised their prices.

Yes and many of us pointed out AMD's putting the squeese on its customers one last time.

Donnie27 said:
Yes and many of us pointed out AMD's putting the squeese on its customers one last time.

it was what a 2 or 3 doller price raise not exactly a squeeze.

dajet24 said:
it was what a 2 or 3 doller price raise not exactly a squeeze.

Not the Price differences, but keep all Dual Core price higher until the last possible minute.

Donnie27 said:
Not the Price differences, but keep all Dual Core price higher until the last possible minute.

makes sense doesn't it? Gotta get all the revenue they can to save for Conroe lol.

Donnie27 said:
What AMD is doing is reasonable, charge as much as you can while you still can. When Conroe arrives their processors will have to shift dramatically in pricing to close the price/performance gap.

coldpower27 said:
What AMD is doing is reasonable, charge as much as you can while you still can. When Conroe arrives their processors will have to shift dramatically in pricing to close the price/performance gap.

Just standard business, I agree, pretty reasonable indeed. It's just that many AMD worshipers constantly say AMD wouldn't do such a thing :rolleyes: I'm not trying to say AMD is doing anything sleazy.

Donnie27 said:
Just standard business, I agree, pretty reasonable indeed. It's just that many AMD worshipers constantly say AMD wouldn't do such a thing :rolleyes: I'm not trying to say AMD is doing anything sleazy.
I know. Gossip, heart attack :D AMD actually wants to make money! Who would of thought that could happen? :rolleyes:

Of course AMD naysayers will have nothing but the most rosiest of scenarios and not put AMD in any unflattering light. ;)

coldpower27 said:
I know. Gossip, heart attack :D AMD actually wants to make money! Who would of thought that could happen? :rolleyes:

Of course AMD naysayers will have nothing but the most rosiest of scenarios and not put AMD in any unflattering light. ;)

Yup! :D

Here we go, AMD has announced massive price cuts, scheduled for the day after Conroe launches. Link to DailyTECH article

But hasn't AMD just insured no one (or those with the sense to save money) will buy anything until end of July. Bet their revenue is going to be real flat.

xcetera said:
Here we go, AMD has announced massive price cuts, scheduled for the day after Conroe launches. Link to DailyTECH article

But hasn't AMD just insured no one (or those with the sense to save money) will buy anything until end of July. Bet their revenue is going to be real flat.
Maybe AMD is hoping the peopel that hasn't got wind of it's plans are still going to buy. ;)

xcetera said:

NO! There are AMD Worshippers out there who feel it is the sworn duty to buy while prices are high to help AMD!

I got flamed for saying AMD would have to cut prices last month LOL!

Donnie27 said:
NO! There are AMD Worshippers out there who feel it is the sworn duty to buy while prices are high to help AMD!

We get flamed for a lot of things which ultimately turn true...

Funny part is that the flamers go really quiet when that happens... ;)

Altough I wonder : for Sharikou and a bunch of his followers , is there any cure ? I expect them to dimiss benchmarks even when Wood/Conroe ship...

savantu said:
We get flamed for a lot of things which ultimately turn true...

Funny part is that the flamers go really quiet when that happens... ;)

Altough I wonder : for Sharikou and a bunch of his followers , is there any cure ? I expect them to dimiss benchmarks even when Wood/Conroe ship...

Yup, they will. Or they'll find somethng else to latch. Yes Sciencemark is getting to be a really great price of software.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1065093&page=1&pp=20

More of the same.

I care because AMD is cheaper. I don't want to pay a premium for Intels technology, even though it is superior to AMDs. That's why I loved the fact that the 64s were superior to P4. I got the best technology at a cheaper price.

Is Conroe the name of the core... like "northwood", "prescott", or is it a new thing instead of P4.. it's called Intel Conroe?

Or is it going to be called P5? LoL

noobtech said:
Is Conroe the name of the core... like "northwood", "prescott", or is it a new thing instead of P4.. it's called Intel Conroe?

conroe is the name of the core.

it will be called intel core 2 duo. just like northwood was the name of a pentium 4 chip.

noobtech said:

LOL is right, it would be Called Penitum 8 or 886 if that were the case. That would be Crazy as well since the Pentium means 5 right from the start, 586.

Donnie27 said:

Well, we've been talking about this for months now. I didn't expect the price cuts to come so quick. But, I didn't expect Intel to slash prices so hard, either. You were closer to the mark. Either way, here's to a brand new X2 3800+ in a month-and-a-half, Donnie27 :cool:

Cheers!

duby229 said:
Similar to how superpi is getting to be a real great software?

If it's real great software soon, it had been the Holy Grail of benchmarking when the A64s were killing the P4s in SPi.

Bao01 said:
If it's real great software soon, it had been the Holy Grail of benchmarking when the A64s were killing the P4s in SPi.

Not in my book anyhow. I could write a pi calculator in python that would be faster then superpi. Maybe even bash.

JetUsafMech said:
Selective memory.

How is it selective? Show me one time I ever said superpi was a worthwhile bench? Never....

I hate it. It is absolutely NOT indicative any performance, on any metric that you choose. It never was. Any results that superpi spews is garbage, becouse it means nothing.

Back