Conroe vs. AMD FX-62

duby229 said:
How is it selective? Show me one time I ever said superpi was a worthwhile bench? Never....

I hate it. It is absolutely NOT indicative any performance, on any metric that you choose. It never was. Any results that superpi spews is garbage, becouse it means nothing.

I feel the same way. Yet, it is not a bad metric within a micro-architecture family.

Anyway, he's not saying that you have a selective memory with sPi in particular. It could taken to mean the memory of the community, or certain groups of individuals, for instance.

duby229 said:
Similar to how superpi is getting to be a real great software?

Hey, you brought up superpi. Yet the AMD/IBM crowd couldn't praise superpi enough back when, as was pointed out earlier. And I'm sure you told the AMD/IBM crowd "Hey, superpi is crap, I can write a MUCH better bench".

duby229 said:
How is it selective? Show me one time I ever said superpi was a worthwhile bench? Never....

I hate it. It is absolutely NOT indicative any performance, on any metric that you choose. It never was. Any results that superpi spews is garbage, becouse it means nothing.

Fine. Give us your list of benches that you consider worthy.

Edit: Worthy of YOUR consideration, of course.

duby229 said:

You know , the world doesn't spin on what you think.

OTOH when Super PI was a A64 favourite I don't remember you stepping up and claiming Super PI was useless....

There is a word for this kind of reaction ...knee-jerk

Your brain works something like this :

If (P4,Conroe)>A64 then
write ('benchmark useless')
else write (' That's a worthy benchmark , not Intel optimized')

PS , Guys I remembered to show you something which is IMO damn interesting : Pat Gelsingers , Intel CTO , Stanford talk in front of students.It is an hour and a half but if you watch it , do it from front to end cause you'll lose a ton of great explanations and ironies toward AMD , SUN and Microsoft otherwise.
It explains Conroe , the design decisions , IMC vs cache , Itanium and the future.

http://stanford-online.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/060607-ee380-300.asx

Back