Considering vista 64 and a new hard drive, please help?

known12345

Limp Gawd
Ive been running xp32 for awhile now and its been great but I figured I have to make a switch to vista eventually and since the price of a vista premium 64 OEM disk has gone down to a reasonably good price, I figured its a good time to switch to vista 64. I was initially considering partioning my hard drive and dueling booting both xp32 and vista 64 but I figured my hard drive, at only 320 capacity will fill up fast and is unfortunately taking longer and longer to boot up for my liking.

After reading this article, I decided my best bet would be to just get a new hard drive and install vista 64 seperately on it and with good deals flying around, it doesnt see like a bad idea.

Unfortunately I only put together my computer a few months ago and althought I tried my best to become immersed into the computer world, in particular cpus (overclocking, lapping), gpu (overclocking), motherboards (lapping/heatsinks), but school work has forced me to focus on only particular areas and not in others. At the time, hard drives and operating systems were not of highest priority and so I only learned little about them. Ive tried to improve my knowledge on hard drives and operating systems but the articles dedicated to such subjects are not as numerous as the ones for lapping and overclocking though the ones here and at other sites (storage review for example) have greatly increased my understanding of hard drives. Unfortunately finals are only 2 weeks away and I will soon be going back home so I only have limited time to decide what I want to do.

I mainly want to set up a system with vista 64 for fast boot times and fast load times (opening programs, applications, etc) generally for school work (I am generally inefficient with my time so I often find myself having to turn on my computer asap to find something because class begins in a few minutes and need the info fast). Currently it takes awhile for my system to turn on and when it does hit the windows home screen, it takes awhile from the time I double click on a program and the time it takes to open up. Thus I was thinking of getting vista 64 (which I hear has good start up times) and a faster hard drive. I originally wanted to purchase a 150gb raptor but the price/gb ratio killed my enthusiasm. Thus I decided to purchase this hard drive. Ive heard that people partition 100 gb for os and the rest for storage, why is this? Does it make start ups faster because the computer does not have to waste time looking at storage data when booting up or did I miss the entire point completely?

Also when they mean 100gb for the OS, do they also mean putting programs/applications that need to be accessed fast and that do not have to deal with storage (files, folders, music, videos, etc).

When I do install a new hard drive, what exactly do I do? Do I just connect it to my motherboard, and have my computer boot to that drive? I know from there I would follow this article on installing OEM 64 bit but I also want to use my old hard drive for xp32, how do I enable duel booting on two different hard drives? On the same hard drive, I know I would just parition the drive then pop in the vista disk and install on that parition, is it the same for a new hard drive?

Also, are there any suggestions on the hard drive I plan to get? I hear it is really fast (comparable to that of the raptor) but much cheapter, but am I just better off getting a smaller gb raptor and only installing my os in there? Ideally I would like to get the 150 gb velociraptor but it doesnt appear to be coming out soon and I can't wait =(.

Ahh im sorry if my questions are getting really confusing, I unfortunately lack the knowledge on how to phrase them, but yeah, if I do create another parition an install programs on there, can both my xp 32 and vista 64 operating systems access them? I know I have to install the proper drivers and that some programs may not be compaitable but does that mean I have to reintall the same program twice?

I am really sorry if these are noobie questions but Ive tried my best to seak answers to my questions but have not found them (probably due to looking in the wrong places/not knowing how to ask the questions). Anyway, if someone has any time, can they please help me out? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Back