Corsair HX620 620w Power Supply @ [H]

Great to see I made a wise choice in this PSU -- despite some people warning me I shouldn't go with a modular solution (in other words, good thing my local computer store was sold out of their OCZ GamerXtream PSUs). :)

That's not what I meant. I want to know what the PSU can do max in terms of hardware, not a SM-8800.

Well.. given the load put on it, I thnk we can say a pair of FX74's and a couple 8800GTX cards with one or two hard drives. ;)

Seriously, everyone's system varies. That's why I suggest everyone looks at review that throw a PSU in a rig AS WELL AS reviews done on a load tester.

Good review on Corsair on the 620W power supply. So have you tried see how far it can be pushed over 100% of rating? I bet its about 120%.;)

Yeah, but can this thing jump start my car? :D

All kidding aside, I've got one of these ordered. Jonny's review helped me make up my mind about a month ago and all the praise and recommendations for it here since have only helped to solidify my decision. Seeing [H] review after I ordered it only makes me feel even more solid in my decision.

Great evaluation of an outstanding psu gentlemen. Bravo!

Now I'm wondering what Corsair is going to do as an encore. Hmm... HX-800?? HX-1000?? Do tell..:)

Well.. given the load put on it, I thnk we can say a pair of FX74's and a couple 8800GTX cards with one or two hard drives. ;)

Seriously, everyone's system varies. That's why I suggest everyone looks at review that throw a PSU in a rig AS WELL AS reviews done on a load tester.
Perhaps testing it on a heavy duty system would have helped also.

If we really had an 18A limit on each +12V rail, the PSU wouldn't run 8800GTXs in SLI with a bunch of hard drives. However, since the PSU effectively functions as a single +12V rail 50A PSU, it works just fine.

Given that the HX620 only has two PCIe connections, and SLI 8800's would require four PCIe connections, I'm assuming that adapters are being used. Does Corsair have PCIe cables that will plug into the standard connections on the PSU, or were 4-pin to PCIe adapters used ?

Perhaps testing it on a heavy duty system would have helped also.

If you want a review in which the PSU isn't actually tested but rather thrown into the biggest baddest rig someone can scrape together and given the Editorials Choice Triple Platinum Award there are more than enough sites out there catering to this type of thing. I will direct your attention back to our opening editorial http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI4OSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0 that explains all of this already.

I would say you just schooled him but then his name suggest he's already on the way there.

Some people just aren't gonna get it.

Great review but I guess I am missing some of the real-world side of things as well. Can this handle a gaming rig with SLI 8800 GTS? GTX even? I know this has discussed in the forums here but I would love to hear from "true" testers in real-world terms of what you can get out of it.

Would also love to know how much the 520W model can handle but obviously you didn't pick that model. Any ways, I've had my eye on the 620W and excited to see how well it tested out.

Given that the HX620 only has two PCIe connections, and SLI 8800's would require four PCIe connections, I'm assuming that adapters are being used. Does Corsair have PCIe cables that will plug into the standard connections on the PSU, or were 4-pin to PCIe adapters used ?

This comment right here was why I assumed this PSU was not SLI 8800 certified. I thought that 4 pcie power connections was a requirement of that spec... I could be way off base and wrong but I could have swore I read that somewhere.

I just went to look at the nvidia sli site www.slizone.com and every powersupply there that is certified for the 8800gtx has 4 pcie connections. Again I could be wrong but looks like that sorta supports my comment above. :)

That is the problem with rebates they do fluctuate so often. Take $150 as a conservative estimate if you can find it for cheaper ;)

As a Hot Dealer myself, very very true. But the article stated $150 AFTER Rebate. I have found the prices to be approximately $150 before rebate ... unless you're only looking at Newegg. Zipzoomfly has it for this price, ExcaliberPC, and also ClubIT before they stopped carrying it, and several others (who have also stopped carrying it, weird, it went OOS to not carried).

If you want a review in which the PSU isn't actually tested but rather thrown into the biggest baddest rig someone can scrape together and given the Editorials Choice Triple Platinum Award there are more than enough sites out there catering to this type of thing. I will direct your attention back to our opening editorial http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI4OSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0 that explains all of this already.

Nice slighting of other sites' review and award system. How different is the Editorials Choice Triple Platinum Award from a Editor's Choice [H] Enthusiast Gold Award? ;) :p

I think both types of tests are good. It's just more ammunition for a consumer or enthusiast to use when purchasing their goods. I have the habit of researching the shit out of any product I am going to buy, it might take me weeks to puchase a simple thing such as a PSU. It did take me weeks, and I actually settled on this PSU (before this review though).

I just read that opening editorial right now. That editorial came out right around when I was beginning to research PSU's but I didn't bother reading it because there were no product reviews in there. I said I'd come back when there were. Now that I've read it, I have a couple of questions.

You say on the second page:
As long time readers know, HardOCP’s primary focus is on real world experience not idealized situations or canned testing.
Sounds familiar, I remember reading this type of strategy before. But how does a Tripp-Lite LCR2400 Line Conditioner, SunMoon SM-8800 ATE, TDGC-2KM Variable AC Transformer and a Quincy Labs 10-140 incubator represent real world experience and not an idealized situation? I know for a fact my room and most others don't have this type of control over power and temperature. That sounds contradictory. Doesn't the presence of the incubator itself show that you are trying to isolate most variables from testing, to test the capabilities of the PSU itself? A worthy and noble goal, of course. But IIRC, this is the type of thing [H] didn't want to do with "real world" testing right (cue Conroe video performance article and resulting uproar in the forums :p )?
Real world experience is what us enthusiasts experience in the real world with these products.

I'm glad to see these performing well. I'm extraordinarily happy with my seasonics, they run like tanks.

I just wish seasonic jumped on the 1kw bus already, I would have had no question in buying their products.

Sounds familiar, I remember reading this type of strategy before. But how does a Tripp-Lite LCR2400 Line Conditioner, SunMoon SM-8800 ATE, TDGC-2KM Variable AC Transformer and a Quincy Labs 10-140 incubator represent real world experience and not an idealized situation? I know for a fact my room and most others don't have this type of control over power and temperature. That sounds contradictory. Doesn't the presence of the incubator itself show that you are trying to isolate most variables from testing, to test the capabilities of the PSU itself? A worthy and noble goal, of course. But IIRC, this is the type of thing [H] didn't want to do with "real world" testing right (cue Conroe video performance article and resulting uproar in the forums :p )?
Real world experience is what us enthusiasts experience in the real world with these products.

Actually, I think that you have it quite backwards. What this type of review shows, is the actual strength of the unit. If they just threw it in a quad core, 8800GTX SLi system, then they would be doing the enthusiast a disservice. the load tester does just that, it tests the load the PSU can with stand. That uber-rig might not even come close to straining a rig like the HX620, because the load tester proves that it puts out that much power. Go buy a kill-a-watt, and put it between the PSU and the plug. I bet that psu is pulling, at most, 275-300 watts from the wall, in the uber-rig.

The point of the incubator is to test whether or not the PSU can handle the heat that is inside an enthusiasts case. A PC with 8800GTX's at 65C and a core 2 duo at 45 c produce a lot of heat, and the incubator allows the tester to demonstrate if the psu can handle the heat and still pump the appropriate power.

Simply putting the PSU in a uber-rig proves nothing, because if it did, we could all run Rosewill and Raidmax power supplies with no worries.

Actually, I think that you have it quite backwards. What this type of review shows, is the actual strength of the unit. If they just threw it in a quad core, 8800GTX SLi system, then they would be doing the enthusiast a disservice. the load tester does just that, it tests the load the PSU can with stand. That uber-rig might not even come close to straining a rig like the HX620, because the load tester proves that it puts out that much power. Go buy a kill-a-watt, and put it between the PSU and the plug. I bet that psu is pulling, at most, 275-300 watts from the wall, in the uber-rig.

The point of the incubator is to test whether or not the PSU can handle the heat that is inside an enthusiasts case. A PC with 8800GTX's at 65C and a core 2 duo at 45 c produce a lot of heat, and the incubator allows the tester to demonstrate if the psu can handle the heat and still pump the appropriate power.

Simply putting the PSU in a uber-rig proves nothing, because if it did, we could all run Rosewill and Raidmax power supplies with no worries.
You're not getting my point. I'm not addressing the validity of the actual testing, I think that is fine. It actually is the way I like to see things tested, isolate as many variables to test the actual product itself, not other components or environmental variables. But "real world testing" according to previous iterations of that term dictate that you don't do that. When testing video cards or the Conroe performance in video situations (anyone remember that? The Firing Squid and all that) it was stated for real world testing they want to put it in a situation their readers would put the product in, and test it, because that's what matters. Well that's not the situation here.

Look at the editorial again. It says "As long time readers know, HardOCP’s primary focus is on real world experience not idealized situations or canned testing. "
Would you say that a Tripp-Lite LCR2400 Line Conditioner, SunMoon SM-8800 ATE, TDGC-2KM Variable AC Transformer and a Quincy Labs 10-140 incubator represents a real world situation or an idealized situation, for testing.

I'm not questioning the validity of the testing procedures, those are fine. I'm just wondering how it's real world? In light of previous definitions of the term

Yes, that would be real world more than any test rig. The AVR and UPS is to make sur you get consistant data every time. The variac would simulate real world brown outs and such, and an SM8800, an accurate represnetation of load. Incubator, so you can precisely monitor the temperature to simulate in-case.

Think of buying a Ferrari that is claimed to go 202mph. Testing it with a pc is like driving on a highway: You're not going to be able to test it to what it claims. Now if you had your own racetrack (like the VW test track near east germany), you could actually put that claim to the test.

I really like my 620HX, TY to the people here who suggested it for me a month or so ago :). Modular cabling is great.

Excellent Methodology & Very Well Written = Excellent Review!

The Corsair 620W is also the finest PSU I have ever tested, I can't wait for its BIGGER brother(s)! ;)

Beyond all of the performance metrics it set under our standard testing the HX620W also performed capably when the unit was subjected to a full load test at 45c for 3 hours. This test is not part of the usually testing criteria and only came about out of sheer morbid curiosity of whether or not we could “kill” the unit.

ROFL!! :)

Much better on the tables for the voltages!

The only suggestion I have is on the ripple screenshots. It's a bit difficult to gather the scale of each division (the graph lines). Looks like .05v, or 50mv. Maybe if you could label the top and bottom lines that are next to the zero line, or mention the amount of observed ripple would be helpful.

I must say that the PSU has spectacular performance. Even the small drop on the 12v line was only about 1%.

Excellent review [H]! I hope once you get the hang of it, you can pump out more reviews, faster :)

It's nice to see another site doing correct PSU reviews, but what's the point of reviewing a unit that everyone already knows is excellent? I think you should review some PSUs that don't get too many reviews, especially budget PSUs like XClio and FSP, so we can finally see how they stack up to the big boys.

Well, they are truely putting PSU's to a torture test, the temperate and extended times under heavy loads, as well as the undervolt tests.

I think [H]'s testing is the most rigorous I've seen. More power to them and yes I think they should review many PSU's, even those reviewed elsewhere. You always want a second opinion when it comes to hardware reviews. Always.

i have the HX620. the main reasons i purchased it was jg's review, what was said about the HX520, and the effort redbeard made on these forums to take care of someone who was missing some accessories.

no regrets, it works very well - tho i do miss the blue led fan my ocz had ;)

"Real World" experience is determined by user evaluation of a specific product. In video cards this means not just how many frames i can get (canned benches) but what is the level of visual imersion this product offers me. Cpu reviews are not just how many more frames does .2 ghz get me (canned) but an evaluation of speed, multiple task abilities, application specific responce, and how transparent these are to the user. MB reviews are not just how much i can overclock to get the most frames but how well a board supports it's secondary interfaces (number of ports, type of connections, quality of components), its ability to communicate quickly and efficiently, the ease of use and installation of other part of the system among others, then overclocking.

[H]'s real world experince has set the bar for reviews because they take all these into account.

Now how do you approach "real world" testing of power supplies. Just putting a biggest-baddest system together and "presto the power supply works and i took it to a lan and played for like 12 hours straight man. This one is the best ever." does not acomplish anything. As with Gpu and CPu testing you isolate variables (use the same comparable system) and then test what they can do, power supplies follow the same
principaI. Isolation gives a better idea of a devices capabilites. It tells you how much power these supplies can deliver, how cleanly they do so, and in some cases how they manage to do so (newer or more efficient designes).

All of which is explained in their article on these topics.

I think you are looking for a better idea of how much power all our systems are actually using. How do we judge from the wattage numbers that are on power supplies to what we need. It would be nice is there was a way to cross list the power draw on systems [H] uses for testing of other devices and [H]consumer system reviews, to how much power these supplies offer. An eventual database to compare along side the review of the power supply units. It would also give an idea of the increased power consumption by upgrading say a video card, telling you if you need to upgrade your power supply as well. School project maybe.

Just a thought on how to take this constructively rather than just pointing to previous [H] articles.

Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection

To me these are as critical as the power output, as power supply death is more likely to be at the hands of Ned Noob bolting the motherboard directly to the case without standoffs and if there was a fault condition on one of the rails would the supply eat itself or depart gracefully, I would like to see these parameters tested. nothing fancy, just short the +12 and see if it explodes after you finish all the other testing and if its still alive. Big Fun mit spiten sparken und fusen poppen. !

While the power editor is waiting around for the next victim, er test canidate, I would love a write up on current testing standards. i.e. UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TÜV, CCC, C-tick.

I dont care about the pure saftey ones, guess I should, but for years I have only bought supplies that had the CB approval as a long time ago I (think) I read somewhere that in addtion to saftey, ripple noise and output regulation had to be within decent limits to get CB. So an article as to what "approval" would actually mean something as related to specifications and quality of the supply would be nice.

You're not getting my point. I'm not addressing the validity of the actual testing, I think that is fine. It actually is the way I like to see things tested, isolate as many variables to test the actual product itself, not other components or environmental variables. But "real world testing" according to previous iterations of that term dictate that you don't do that. When testing video cards or the Conroe performance in video situations (anyone remember that? The Firing Squid and all that) it was stated for real world testing they want to put it in a situation their readers would put the product in, and test it, because that's what matters. Well that's not the situation here.

Look at the editorial again. It says "As long time readers know, HardOCP’s primary focus is on real world experience not idealized situations or canned testing. "
Would you say that a Tripp-Lite LCR2400 Line Conditioner, SunMoon SM-8800 ATE, TDGC-2KM Variable AC Transformer and a Quincy Labs 10-140 incubator represents a real world situation or an idealized situation, for testing.

I'm not questioning the validity of the testing procedures, those are fine. I'm just wondering how it's real world? In light of previous definitions of the term

Yes, that would be real world more than any test rig. The AVR and UPS is to make sur you get consistant data every time. The variac would simulate real world brown outs and such, and an SM8800, an accurate represnetation of load. Incubator, so you can precisely monitor the temperature to simulate in-case.

Think of buying a Ferrari that is claimed to go 202mph. Testing it with a pc is like driving on a highway: You're not going to be able to test it to what it claims. Now if you had your own racetrack (like the VW test track near east germany), you could actually put that claim to the test.

"Real World" experience is determined by user evaluation of a specific product. In video cards this means not just how many frames i can get (canned benches) but what is the level of visual imersion this product offers me. Cpu reviews are not just how many more frames does .2 ghz get me (canned) but an evaluation of speed, multiple task abilities, application specific responce, and how transparent these are to the user. MB reviews are not just how much i can overclock to get the most frames but how well a board supports it's secondary interfaces (number of ports, type of connections, quality of components), its ability to communicate quickly and efficiently, the ease of use and installation of other part of the system among others, then overclocking.

[H]'s real world experince has set the bar for reviews because they take all these into account.

Now how do you approach "real world" testing of power supplies. Just putting a biggest-baddest system together and "presto the power supply works and i took it to a lan and played for like 12 hours straight man. This one is the best ever." does not acomplish anything. As with Gpu and CPu testing you isolate variables (use the same comparable system) and then test what they can do, power supplies follow the same
principaI. Isolation gives a better idea of a devices capabilites. It tells you how much power these supplies can deliver, how cleanly they do so, and in some cases how they manage to do so (newer or more efficient designes).

All of which is explained in their article on these topics.

I think you are looking for a better idea of how much power all our systems are actually using. How do we judge from the wattage numbers that are on power supplies to what we need. It would be nice is there was a way to cross list the power draw on systems [H] uses for testing of other devices and [H]consumer system reviews, to how much power these supplies offer. An eventual database to compare along side the review of the power supply units. It would also give an idea of the increased power consumption by upgrading say a video card, telling you if you need to upgrade your power supply as well. School project maybe.

Just a thought on how to take this constructively rather than just pointing to previous [H] articles.

deeznuts between BBQ and vtzifnab they have covered most of the relevant points. The remainder are simply environmental and the neccesity for reproducibility.

Very nice review! Although I slightly regret buying my seasonic before the corsair models were available its nice to know that they perform as well as they do under harsh conditions. (My upstairs room is generally over 80 degrees :( )

Gotta admit I'm not a PSU expert by any means, so I skipped around the article. Informative, well-detailed, and as usual, kick-ass.

Editing note- p2: "As we see from the box we get a lot of information about the power supply it contains including the fact that it carries a 5 year warranty, certainly a worthy warranty, but not as long some others. "

That... is one mangled sentence.

Damn damn damn. I don't like my OCZ 850W, it's to noisy and also not real SLI 8800GTX certified. I think for my rig that the Corsair just won't or just will do. But I don't like the just. I want some safe spare left. This mobo is trouble enough to hold stable.

Does anyone know (Corsair rep probably) when we can expect the larger psu? Really loved the sound of that HX620... I want a HX850 ;)

Can all you owners listen to that psu and tell me if you can hear it? The main reason I don't like the OCZ is because it's to noisy. I want a real quite psu, which can deliver the juice.

PS: [H] Good review! But next time pls also include a sound level test. For some having a quite system is important. In my rig it's mainly the psu that makes the noise. But again, great review.

I think for my rig that the Corsair just won't or just will do. But I don't like the just. I want some safe spare left. This mobo is trouble enough to hold stable.
You should experience no problems with this power supply. 620 watts really is enough, even for SLI 8800s.
PS: [H] Good review! But next time pls also include a sound level test. For some having a quite system is important. In my rig it's mainly the psu that makes the noise. But again, great review.
Spectre has remarked several times on the impossibility of doing this testing. Look elsewhere.

You should experience no problems with this power supply. 620 watts really is enough, even for SLI 8800s.
Also when adding later on a thing like the Coolit Freezone (waiting for the quad-core version), and some more HDD's? It will be close... And also, I guess when you have some spare left, the psu will run cooler, which results in more quiter.

Spectre has remarked several times on the impossibility of doing this testing. Look elsewhere.
I thought they couldn't do that because of that tester thing (8000 or something) making to much noise. Hook it up somewhere else... But then that was just a question or suggestion for [H]...

And I asked the question also at the users who actually have one. To put their ear to it, and listen if it is really quiete. Like you can't hear it quiete...

Also when adding later on a thing like the Coolit Freezone (waiting for the quad-core version), and some more HDD's? It will be close... And also, I guess when you have some spare left, the psu will run cooler, which results in more quiter.

I thought they couldn't do that because of that tester thing (8000 or something) making to much noise. Hook it up somewhere else... But then that was just a question or suggestion for [H]...

And I asked the question also at the users who actually have one. To put their ear to it, and listen if it is really quiete. Like you can't hear it quiete...

As mage indicated this has been asked and answered many many many times. The loadtester is too loud to do it. If you have a way to make it work beyond the ones already suggested feel free to contact me, but as of yet noone (including those of us with the Sunmoon's) have come up with a satisfactory method of doing so.

Quad core chips only go up to 130W. To quote their site:
Freezone is recommended for CPUs with total heat output of up to 175W.

According to BCCHardware, the Eliminator draws 3.75A from your 12V rail. This is a pretty inconsequential load on a 50A-capable rail. I can't find a similar specification for the Freezone, despite reading all the reviews linked from their site.
Hooking it up somewhere else makes it hard to judge the load on a given power supply. It's a moot point, anyways; they're not going to.

Quieté... Il est français?
Ah, ik maak wat fouten in het engels en ze hebben kommentaar. Wat grappig...

Is that better for you Guru :rolleyes:

Ok, then, so the Coolit doesn't draw to much amps. Why did that corsair guy then said that it will run 8800GTX in SLI, when you don't have many other things on it. What are those other peripherals then? (Sry Jonny, if I got another word wrong again)

You must have spelled "peripherals" correctly since IntelliTXT picked it up! :D

You can use the Corsair HX620W to run 8800GTX SLI w/ no problem. That was my point in my post. It'll run lots of things NOW, but we don't know what it will run later when the power of these higher end video cards are unleashed.

FWIW: I do know that the HX620W will not run dual FX74's with a pair of 8800GTX's even w/ one hard drive. Tried it.

It will work with 8800GTS and those CPU's, so you know you're just on the border w/ power requirements.

Oui oui!

Back