Could use some opinions on upgrades

Anyone available to assist step by step. I think it would be the quickest path.

Thank you...

- Did you reset the CMOS yet?

Yes.... the Opt Default. I know what you said and I'm happy to change it. I need recommendations. I apologize in advance for not perusing through the various pages in this thread.

I need details and one after another. That would really be of help.

Anyone available to assist step by step. I think it would be the quickest path.

Thank you...
As I understand it, you currently have the PC set up out of the case. This is good. First, reset the BIOS. Then, turn it on and see if the PSU will function normally. Don't go into the BIOS, don't touch anything, just see if it boots up without crashing or rebooting.

Once you have tried this, post back here and we'll take things from there depending on what the result is.

1) Reset CMOS
2) If you get into the BIOs, don't load optimized defaults
3) If you get into the BIOs, manually change the RAM voltage to whatever your RAM needs
4) See if the PC boots correctly.

Or what Zero82z said.:)

I'm in Windows running OCCT for 15min at Med Test Data.

I'll stop this and do whatever. When you say RESET the CMOS do you mean clear it with the jumpers?

I'll stop this and do whatever. When you say RESET the CMOS do you mean clear it with the jumpers?

Yes. Clear it.

Wait, so are the BIOs hangs and resets gone now that the mobo is on a cardboard box AND the USB devices are unplugged? Also, what USB devices did you have connected to the system when the problems were occuring? Which ones did you remove when the system finally booted?

Wait, so are the BIOs hangs and resets gone now that the mobo is on a cardboard box AND the USB devices are unplugged?

Also, what USB devices did you have connected to the system when the problems were occuring? Which ones did you remove when the system finally booted?

Yes.

I have:
  1. LCD - USB hub
    • Timex DataLink Watch
    • Sansa Fuze
  2. HP Printer
  3. Logitech Webcam
  4. External HDD 400G IDE
  5. TrippLite UPS

I unplugged everything at one time not one at a time to test each.

Yes.

I have:
  1. LCD - USB hub
    • Timex DataLink Watch
    • Sansa Fuze
  2. HP Printer
  3. Logitech Webcam
  4. External HDD 400G IDE
  5. TrippLite UPS

I unplugged everything at one time not one at a time to test each.

Ok, don't reset the CMOS just yet. Got a hunch about something:

- Restart the PC and see if it boots correctly.
- Who makes that external HDD drive? or enclosure?

Here's what I did. Reconnected all 5 USB devices. Hangs. Reboot. Hang.

Who makes the external enclosure: Ximeta. I think the HDD inside is Seagate. Been in the case almost 2 years by now....roughly.

Here's what I did. Reconnected all 5 USB devices. Hangs. Reboot. Hang.

Who makes the external enclosure: Ximeta. I think the HDD inside is Seagate. Been in the case almost 2 years by now....roughly.

Ok, I just remembered that one of our fellow forum members had a similar problem with a USB device. It was determined that the external hard drive was fucking up the boot process somehow. Something similar might be happening here.

OK since the system is working fine without those 5 USB devices, guess what? You get to play detective and see which USB device is hanging your system.

OK since the system is working fine without those 5 USB devices, guess what? You get to play detective and see which USB device is hanging your system.
+1. If it works without the USB devices but not with them, then one or more of them must be the culprit.

It may not be one device. What if it matters when I simply unplug about half the USB devices?

It may not be one device. What if it matters when I simply unplug about half the USB devices?

Just run through as many combinations of drives that you can until you narrow down what the issue is. It could be a single USB device, several USB devices, or even one or more of your USB ports. The only way to find out is by trying different configurations.

But why did all this shit work previously and then crap out later? Same issue but new mb and RAM?

What? R U shitting me?

Nope, not shitting you. I've seen weirder shit happen with PCs not easily explainable like your bro's "cardboard washer" ideas. So that "kicking in" answer I gave isn't entirely outside the realm of possibility.

But start running through the combinations of devices like Zero82z said and figure out which one(s) are the culprits.

Well, here are the results of the USB test:

I stuck with h/w connected to same ports at first.

• All devices connected: issue comes up
  • Disconnected first three devices no issues
  • Plugged in first three devices and disconnected last two. Problem back.
  • Only plugged in devices 4 and 5. No issues.
    • Since I have them labeled for sequence and port assignment.
  • Plug in first three devices again along with #5 (1,2,3 & 5) problem is back.
    • Wait, I plugged the devices in out of sequence. Started in the wrong port. So device 1 is not in port 1. Okay...this points something out.
  • Now I have an item coming up on the list and completed a couple of more test to verify. Seems that the Dell LCD monitor with the USB hub is the culprit. This was not a problem on my previous system.

Plus, why is this intermittent. Shouldn't it be a problem or not? Why was it working earlier? Apparent conflict with Gigabyte mbs?

Is this even the solution?

I know that last question may sound insane but put yourself in my shoes.

Maybe you've been there before though, eh?

Wait..I need to test the two devices plugged into the LCD monitor. May be one of those and not the monitor hub.

If everything works when the monitor hub isn't connected, then yes, that would be the solution.

Okay, I reconnect the LCD hub. Disconnect the Sansa docking station. Boots up!

Somethings whacky here. This shit all worked on this PC and the other mb/RAM. What gives?

PLUS:

After rebooting a couple of times I decide to go into the BIOS and I get that red error msg display:

"The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages. Last settings in this page may not coincide with current H/W states. Press any key to continue..."

The page is MB Intelligent Tweaker. Nothing is overclocked on this page.

If I plug the Sansa dock into the mb direct instead of the LCD hub I have the issue. If I go into the BIOS I get that error message above. What's the correlation?

Set the settings back to default. If that message still occurs, ignore it for now and concentrate on the USB devices.

If I plug the Sansa dock into the mb direct instead of the LCD hub I have the issue. If I go into the BIOS I get that error message above. What's the correlation?

Set the settings back to default. If that message still occurs, ignore it for now and concentrate on the USB devices.

I understand it that you want me to clear the CMOS. I just did. Reboots fine.

If the Sansa Fuze is plugged in this causes a problem. It seems. The Fuze want's to draw power right away and I wonder if this is a problem for the mb. So, it won't work in Windows then apparently? That's fucked up as I got the Fuze for Christmas. PCs at their best.

What's the point? Mac...here I come?

Do you see that error message with the Sansa dock?

If the Sansa Fuze is plugged in this causes a problem. It seems. The Fuze want's to draw power right away and I wonder if this is a problem for the mb. So, it won't work in Windows then apparently? That's fucked up as I got the Fuze for Christmas. PCs at their best.

Try using the Fuze in Windows and see if any errors occur? And yes there might be a compatibility problem between your mobo and the Sansa dock.

Do you see that error message with the Sansa dock?

Try using the Fuze in Windows and see if any errors occur? And yes there might be a compatibility problem between your mobo and the Sansa dock.

It's not the dock itself but the Sansa Fuze. I tested it just using the USB data/charging cable that comes with the Fuze. Tell me that's not a larger problem of some size for Gigabyte.

Yes, I did get the red error in the BIOS. Not sure how many times I the reboot has to hang to generate the error when going into the BIOS.

Default BIOS: presents a problem. What can I adjust? Otherwise I've wasted money on all of this. The CPU mult is off by default, etc.

It's not the dock itself but the Sansa Fuze. I tested it just using the USB data/charging cable that comes with the Fuze. Tell me that's not a larger problem of some size for Gigabyte.

Yes, I did get the red error in the BIOS. Not sure how many times I the reboot has to hang to generate the error when going into the BIOS.

Default BIOS: presents a problem. What can I adjust? Otherwise I've wasted money on all of this. The CPU mult is off by default, etc.

How does the default BIOs present a problem? Just adjust the RAM voltage for now. You can probably still overclock, just not with that Sansa Fuze connected.

TBH, I don't know why the Sansa Fuze is causing problems with your mobo. As big as Gigabyte is, they can't always test every single product drawing power from the mobo. So there will be slip throughs like the Sansa. But have you tried plugging in the Sansa when Windows is fully loaded?

But have you tried plugging in the Sansa when Windows is fully loaded?

Yes, even downloaded the f/w updater for it. Connected the Fuze and it found it. Then download the Sansa Media Converter. Who knows the problems could have started after that as I don't write these things down one after another. Seems WAY fucked up to see things like this happen when building PCs. I find this a serious nuisance.

I'm going to test it now after loading Windows and then connecting the Fuze to see what happens. It's going to be way easy to leave the Fuze plugged in and forget about it as I used this dock with the Sansa e270 player for about two years previous. Habit established.

Interesting I have a rev 1.1 of the GA EP45-UD3R. I think the one I sent back to Newegg was a rev 1.0. Looks like Gigabyte's page (tw) has photo coming soon of 1.1. Wonder what they did.

Update: I called Gigabyte a moment ago as I don't believe that a Fuze should cause issues. Here's something that slipped by. I have Legacy USB Storage Detect enabled so if I want to boot from a USB device. The Fuze comes on as soon as the PC does (gets power). The PC is trying to boot from the Fuze. I think disabling this will clear up this problem.

Also, the red error alert (as I referred to it) will happen as a warning. Why? The voltage range in this mb is quite large. 1.8v is the highest for normal and anything after that is considered overclocking. So, even though the RAM is 2.2v the board will throw this error as a warning since 1.8v is the top standard (I guess you'd call it) anything higher is OCing. The warning, of course, is to let people know if they are pushing the voltage too high on RAM that is not rated for voltage that high...that it may get damaged.

Is this news for anyone that's been following this thread?

I have Legacy USB Storage Detect enabled so if I want to boot from a USB device. The Fuze comes on as soon as the PC does (gets power). The PC is trying to boot from the Fuze. I think disabling this will clear up this problem.

I concur. It's worth a try.
Also, the red error alert (as I referred to it) will happen as a warning. Why? The voltage range in this mb is quite large. 1.8v is the highest for normal and anything after that is considered overclocking. So, even though the RAM is 2.2v the board will throw this error as a warning since 1.8v is the top standard (I guess you'd call it) anything higher is OCing. The warning, of course, is to let people know if they are pushing the voltage too high on RAM that is not rated for voltage that high...that it may get damaged.

Never ran into this probelm with other Gigabyte motherboards. But if that's the word from Gigabyte, then yeah, news to me.

I need some nice icons for my 3.5" Multimedia card reader. Anyone know where I can get a program or whatever? I don't have the original CD for my unit and half the time they never worked right anyway.

I concur. It's worth a try.

Never ran into this probelm with other Gigabyte motherboards. But if that's the word from Gigabyte, then yeah, news to me.

Danny: you've been very helpful and I've run into an error testing with OCCT. When OC'd to 4.05Ghz I get an error after 10 minutes when running the Auto 1Hour CPU test. It reports an "Error reported on core #1". I have a handful of PNG images that OCCT produced. I set the OCing back to standard settings to not OC for now.

Have you run into this error? I've done some research but not finding what this may be.

Danny: you've been very helpful and I've run into an error testing with OCCT. When OC'd to 4.05Ghz I get an error after 10 minutes when running the Auto 1Hour CPU test. It reports an "Error reported on core #1". I have a handful of PNG images that OCCT produced. I set the OCing back to standard settings to not OC for now.

Have you run into this error? I've done some research but not finding what this may be.

That usually means that the CPU doesn't have enough voltage or that the mobo cannot keep up without additional voltage to the MCH.

That just means that the test failed for some reason or another, which is usually caused by either your CPU or RAM being unstable at the settings you were running them at.

Back