cpu upgrade for inspiron e1705

mdlsFREAK

Limp Gawd
as of now i have a intel centrino duo 1.66 ghz, 4mb, socket- LGA, 667 mhz fsb

I've been out of the processor loop for a while and im not sure what is out there.

I talked to dell and they said i could go up to a 2.16 ghz for that model.

Here's the info..help me find a chip that will work.

Intel Centrino duo
2.16 ghz
4 mb
LGA
fsb 667+
Intel 945 chipset

Im also upgrading memory to 2x 1gb, kinston ddr2-667, pc 5300, 667 mhz
and maybe a bigger HD from 60gb to 120gb

Thanks for all the help. :D

You might get sticker shock from the C2D mobiles. It's not much of a speed bump either.

hmm..yeah..i just dont have 500 to drop on a cpu.

The main reason i want to upgrade is so i can run "Serato Scratch Live", a dj program in which a time coded record is decoded by my laptop and corresponds that exact point in time with an mp3 file. in essence it gives you vinyl manipulation of mp3's...its so cool, but i digress.

The system is usb bassed and sometimes ill get usb dropouts where the cpu is overloaded..the program is really resource intensive. i cant run anything while serato is running...maybe it will get better if i upgrade from 512mb to 2 gb of ram?

The minimum operating system requirements are either a 800 MHz Mac G4 with OSX 10.3, or a 1 GHz PC running Windows XP with Service Pack 2, either with 512M of ram or more. Intel Macs must use Scratch LIVE version 1.5 or higher, downloadable from the Scratch LIVE forum.

The downloadable 1.7.2 version of Scratch LIVE includes support for the Microsoft Vista operating system. Note that we recommend Windows XP over Vista, most notably for performance reasons. You will be able to run XP at a lower USB buffer setting, meaning lower latency and better performance using XP than is achievable with Vista.

The system requirements are WAY lower than what your CPU is.... so you probably need more RAM (512 is really low for XP even) and you probably have a bunch of junk running in the background.

Since it is a Dell... I'm guessing you haven't wiped the drive and installed Windows from the CD.... did they even send you one? If not.. get on the phone and tell them to send you all the Install CDs so you can actually do a clean install.

i talked to dell today and they are sending me the os...thats just the os, not the bundle of crap my comp came with right?

and i got rid of most non essential processes.

got about 20 tops running while serato is going

As stated, you need more RAM, get it while it's cheap. And of course, a reformat and re-install never hurts, especially if you never did it when you first got the laptop from Dell.

Yep.. the OS CD doesn't have all the junk pre-installed. If you don't get the driver CD, make sure to download and burn them on a CD before wiping the hard drive.. or else you will not have a working NIC since windows geerally doesn't have built in drivers unless it is a very common NIC.

At the very least yo will need the NIC drivers.. then you could download the rest of the drivers after installing Windows.

And yeah.. definitely get some more RAM... check to see what speed is currently installed as well.

If you bump up to 2Gb, you will be getting rid of your 512 stick anyhow. The e1705 supports DDR2-667 (PC2-5300)

It probably came with DDR2-553 (PC2-4200)

Just grab some from newegg.. much cheaper than from Dell and will work just fine.

just bought 2x Kingston 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) sticks .

Where do i find the drivers to download, i presume dell.com? Are there any special ones i need because i've windows xp media center, or would those come with the disk?

my graphics card: intel integrated graphics, media accelerator 950 GM i have no clue about it but a i reccon it failes hard.

as for HD 60 GB, sata, 5400 rpm, 8 mb

As for drivers, log to dell account and add system to profile....then just update/download your drivers. Also getting a 7200rpm drive would boost performance.

ok so i reformatted and i dont have any drives...i went to get some from dell and i dont know which one i need...i tried installing some of em but they didnt work. i have not wireless, lan or wan connections...thats my first prioity how to i get them to work

Figure out what hardware is in the machine.
All of it.
Download the drivers.
Done.

If you don't know what's in the machine you shouldn't have reformatted in the first place without researching.

Figure out what hardware is in the machine.
All of it.
Download the drivers.
Done.

If you don't know what's in the machine you shouldn't have reformatted in the first place without researching.

actually once u reinstall vista or whatever, you can go on dells website, and they have a system profiler that pulls current specs from their computers. so getting the specs, while good practice, before-hand really isnt necessary. Sounds to me mwarps you havent done all your research yet :)

actually once u reinstall vista or whatever, you can go on dells website, and they have a system profiler that pulls current specs from their computers. so getting the specs, while good practice, before-hand really isnt necessary. Sounds to me mwarps you havent done all your research yet :)

Actually, I know how to configure and set up computers. I don't need a program to do it for me :rolleyes:

I know every piece of hardware in my e1705, and downloaded each individual driver. I've not had a problem in the 16 months I've owned the machine, other than one BSOD from an out of date nvidia driver, and there had been no recent release. Thanks for playing.

Why trust your system stability to an application when you can do it better yourself? Does it work with MCE? Will it shit the bed because I upgraded most of the hardware? Can you answer those questions? Did anyone ask you for a personal flame? I didn't think so. Yet another addition to the idiot filter. It's like a party in there.

Back