Creating The Worlds Largest Digital Panoramic Photo

So they spend 90% going up stairs and an elevator only to show maybe 20 seconds of the camera actually working. What a waste of time.

Seriously, this was completely random, I zoomed in to the pic and it ended up here... it must be destiny
23838633.jpg

all that new construction......

are they residential or commercial? and who is moving there to lease these buildings?

Zoom in straight down the river/canal on the left, and you'll see what looks like a chick lounging by the pool in a bikini. :)

Those buildings will all be vacant. They were all real estate speculation and started during the oil bubble. They were started in 2007-2008 before the economy collapsed and now Dubai is basically bankrupt with no jobs.

Those buildings will all be vacant. They were all real estate speculation and started during the oil bubble. They were started in 2007-2008 before the economy collapsed and now Dubai is basically bankrupt with no jobs.

No. Dubai's economy is not based on oil.

Dubai's trying to base its economy mostly on tourism.

What benefit that would bring I'm not quite sure. This stuff is very cool though. A T2i with a nice long range lens with I/S would probably give some mind blowing quality images. For $900 for the top of the line, its really not that expensive.

Question is, can you sell the material to places/people to make it pay back itself. That remains to be seen, so far most of these have seemed almost proof of concept like in their nature.

I expected to see a video of how it was actually made, maybe some stats at the end of the video, # of images, time to join or whatever, time it took to take the pictures...

Does the camera basically take an image of the entire area and that's it or does it do it multiple times but zoomed further and further?

Wow for the first time ever I wished I had higher DPI mouse than my G5 2000dpi has... Zoomed in on a 40 in LCD and moving around the image. Never before have I used so much of my icemat. :eek:

I wonder if this yields any statistical information about the chances of being able to spot certain activities in any given urban location...

I know it's in UAE which is a very conservative country compared to the USA, but did anyone find any risque zoom-ins within the panoramic photo?

This can find more interesting pics than Google Street View! :cool: But if only the project was in a more risque-friendly city, like Amsterdam. :D

Back