DDC Top & Pump Performance Comparison (Petra's, Radiical, Alphacool, etc.)

kemist1117 said:
Petra,

I have 2 of these hooked up to a dedicated comp psu (external rad box) and adjusted the pot to output ~13v which was verified with a crappy old analog multimeter, though the multimeter did say that 12v was 12v so it cant be that far off and the pumps start every time. Did you test in between 12 and 13.8 or do they just not start at 13.8? There is a slight lag from when i turn on the rad box and when the pumps turn on so maybe this becomes more of a problem at higher voltage?
Alright, I did some tinkering today... The highest voltage that they'll start at (without fiddling with things) seems to be 13.19V (see what I get for opening my mouth before experimenting fully? :rolleyes: ).

Okay, I went ahead and did a parallel test that was suggested...

Experimental Cooling Loop 1 (average restriction):

Test Results:

DDC+ w/ Petra's Top: 12.00V -- 2.32 Gal./min. | 13.80V -- 2.58 Gal./min.

2x DDC+ w/ Petra's Top (Series): 12.00V -- 2.78 Gal./min. | 13.80V -- 3.08 Gal./min.

2x DDC+ w/ Petra's Top (Parallel): 12.00V -- 2.43 Gal./min. | 13.80V -- 2.78 Gal./min.

...and a more graphical representation:
parallelChart.jpg

...more evidence that, even in a somewhat low restriction loop, parallel pumps don't do much.

Additionally, as mentioned before, I fiddled around and determined that the DDC+'s will start at up to about 13.19V--to achieve anything above that, you have to start the pumps at that point (or below) and then increase the voltage to the desired amount (13.8V, in this case).

Oh, yeah, take a look at this.... (the sample barbs that Eddy was nice enough to send to me arrived yesterday :D )
topEddyBarbs.jpg

...I'm such a tease :p:

Anyway, I'll update my first post to include all of these results as well.

Last edited:
When you say parallel, do you mean like a line in -> Y -> each into a pump -> Y -> rest of the loop? If you can understand what I'm saying...

Mark305TBI said:
When you say parallel, do you mean like a line in -> Y -> each into a pump -> Y -> rest of the loop? If you can understand what I'm saying...
Yes, that would be parallel.

You guys are gonna love this.... :D

THEY'RE HERE!!! :D

That's right, all 200 of 'em... right here... sitting next to me :p

Though, we can't ship/sell them just yet because we're waiting on barbs to arrive from DD (I don't have an ETA for the EK barbs yet... but, due to the quantity we're ordering, I'm having those sent ASAP. We'll pick up Eddy's blocks once he has finished with the 7950 block and that new reservoir of his). Apparently, we ordered more 1/2" G1/4 High-Flow barbs than DD had in stock... sooooo, we have to wait a few days.

However, I've posted the tops on our site for pre-order (to ship when barbs arrive): http://www.petrastechshop.com/peddcudeddcp.html

Also, again, you'll love this... The machine shop decided to put a MUCH nicer finish (internally and externally) on the production version than they did on the prototypes. The tops are so smooth that they're shiny and a little reflective!!! (though, tooling marks can still be seen... the photos really don't do the finish justice)

Here are some updated photos:
eTopFace.jpg

ddTopFace2.jpg

eTopFnal.jpg

eTopMountSideReflect.jpg

eTopMountReflect.jpg

Last edited:
That's dead sexy Petra... is there enough clearence in the wall for us to drill and tap our own mounting holes? Maybe only 1/8" deep?

penguin said:
That's dead sexy Petra... is there enough clearence in the wall for us to drill and tap our own mounting holes? Maybe only 1/8" deep?
I'll check my Solidworks file... gimme a little while

*EDIT*Okay, rather than give you enough dimensions to build the damn thing....

On the outlet side of the impeller housing, don't drill in more than about 5 or 6mm... there are some spots where you can go pretty deep but the key there is to avoid the outlet channel. On the opposite side, from the base and up 8mm, don't go deeper than 8mm. Above 8mm, you're clearing the impeller housing and can go as deep as 18mm. Also, try to avoid the mounting screw holes--they extend into the top about 11mm.

If you look at the Solidworks screenshots that I posted on the first page, that may make more sense.

Mark305TBI said:
You gonna sell any pre-assembled, pump + top?
Yup... but I'm not going to be adding that to the site until after we receive barbs. Once the barbs arrive and the pre-orders are taken care of, I'll post the pump + top combo.

Alex,

Can we special order ones that have the mounting holes pre-drilled? I have an AlphaCool top now and I require the mounting holes for my choice of mount. I REALLY want one of yours but the mounting holes will be a deal breaker.

SiGfever said:
Alex,

Can we special order ones that have the mounting holes pre-drilled? I have an AlphaCool top now and I require the mounting holes for my choice of mount. I REALLY want one of yours but the mounting holes will be a deal breaker.
Well, I can ask the guys next door if they would be willing to modify some of the tops, as I don't have the necessary taps...or a drill press.

I was thinking of doing another version that's larger (like the Alphacool tops) to include this feature... but, if they're okay with it, I may not have to... heh

Petra said:
Well, I can ask the guys next door if they would be willing to modify some of the tops, as I don't have the necessary taps...or a drill press.

I was thinking of doing another version that's larger (like the Alphacool tops) to include this feature... but, if they're okay with it, I may not have to... heh
You are "Da Man"! :cool: :cool:

Okay, just so that everyone knows, I've updated the website and added a 'no barbs' option which subtracts $2.80 from the price of the top (for those of you who already have extra G1/4 barbs sitting around).

DAMN! Those look so awsome. To bad I have already ordered two Alphacool tops! :mad:
My complements on your work Petra!

I have to wonder... the DangerDen High Flow fittings were 9/16"-18, and the EK barbs are G1/4". When I looked at my High Flow fittings next to the new Perfect Seal fittings (Also G1/4"), it was clear the High Flow was much bigger and wouldn't fit in a G1/4" hole. Is there some sort of G1/4" High Flow fitting I don't know about?

penguin said:
I have to wonder... the DangerDen High Flow fittings were 9/16"-18, and the EK barbs are G1/4". When I looked at my High Flow fittings next to the new Perfect Seal fittings (Also G1/4"), it was clear the High Flow was much bigger and wouldn't fit in a G1/4" hole. Is there some sort of G1/4" High Flow fitting I don't know about?
Danger Den introduced a G1/4 version of their high-flow fittings a few months ago because the P-Seal fittings are crap.

Petra said:
Danger Den introduced a G1/4 version of their high-flow fittings a few months ago because the P-Seal fittings are crap.
Oh, ok. That's pretty much awesome :D I should probably get a couple for my chipset block then. A pump with one of these tops is definitely gonna be on my Christmas list this year; being 16 and not having a job sucks.

penguin said:
Oh, ok. That's pretty much awesome :D I should probably get a couple for my chipset block then. A pump with one of these tops is definitely gonna be on my Christmas list this year; being 16 and not having a job sucks.

you lucky bastard, I'm 16 too and all I got last year was a pack of jigsaw puzzles... (was pretty awesome by the way :D )

pump top is dead sexy, by the way

Petra said:
Yup... but I'm not going to be adding that to the site until after we receive barbs. Once the barbs arrive and the pre-orders are taken care of, I'll post the pump + top combo.
Let me know when you do.

Hello seller. My name is John Smith, I am a professor at the University of Nigeria, on leave in London. I am desperate to purchase some of these, seeing how mine was stolen. If you accept, I will have my client send you a western union money order for $500. Take out what the itme is worth, keep an extra 10%, and send the rest back to me.

:p great tops. I would buy one but... (insert excuse)

BillParrish: It's not a limitation of the software, you can do pretty much anything with Solidworks. You have to keep in mind that this is a machined part and, as such, the more intricate and complex it is, the more it costs (per unit) to make. Additionally, there may be some tooling issues with that sort of outlet, depending on how gradual the diameter increase was. If one were to manufacturer these via multi-part injection-molding, then those sorts of design details wouldn't really pose a problem. My goal was to design something that performed well and wouldn't be overly expensive to machine.

Gotch, been there. Thanks for the reply.

does anyone know what version 10w or 18w that DD sells. I got one about 6 months ago and want to know which one it is. or is there a serial number or part number that some one with a 18w can post.

thanks

anyone know what the 10w impeller looks like? Mine is redish orange, i have the alphacool top so i dont even need to pot the top :)

Adidas4275 said:
anyone know what the 10w impeller looks like? Mine is redish orange, i have the alphacool top so i dont even need to pot the top :)
Please read the post above you.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

el rolio said:
18W version has a red-orange impeller. pop the top n see

thunderstruck! said:
Please read the post above you.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
He wanted to know what color impeller the 10w version had in case it was maybe just straight red or something close to the 18w version. Sheesh, don't bite his head off.

Adidas4275 said:
The impeller on the 10W DDC-1 is black.

All of the pictures I've seen of the 18W models have the wattage printed on them, next to the model information. I'm not sure if the 10W versions have their wattage printed as well.

Great top, Petra! My MCP600 has made some nasty sounds a couple times in the last few weeks (lasting about an hour), despite everything looking fine inside when I cleaned it a few months ago. I've been thinking of moving to something quieter recently, though moving my case under my desk has helped that somewhat (can only hear airflow from rad fans at top of case now). The 18W DDC is supposedly louder than the 10W version, but I haven't read any conclusive comparisons with the 50Z/MCP600, what's your take on it?

What's the problem with the P-Seal fittings? Is getting the tubing over them the only issue? A search on here only brought up the tubing fit issue, as far as I could see.

Cheers,
Rick

RickyJ said:
All of the pictures I've seen of the 18W models have the wattage printed on them, next to the model information. I'm not sure if the 10W versions have their wattage printed as well.

Great top, Petra! My MCP600 has made some nasty sounds a couple times in the last few weeks (lasting about an hour), despite everything looking fine inside when I cleaned it a few months ago. I've been thinking of moving to something quieter recently, though moving my case under my desk has helped that somewhat (can only hear airflow from rad fans at top of case now). The 18W DDC is supposedly louder than the 10W version, but I haven't read any conclusive comparisons with the 50Z/MCP600, what's your take on it?
In terms of subjective, comparative loudness, I'd say the following:

(Quietest) ... DDC-1 (9W) < DDC-2 (18W) < D5 < 50Z ... (Loudest)

The DDC-2 isn't much louder than the DDC-1... and, with a custom top, you can hardly hear the damn thing anyway.

Here are some sound comparisons (because, after all, it's not just the amount of noise they emit that matters... it's the quality of the sound): http://www.cooling-masters.com/articles-33-14.html

What's the problem with the P-Seal fittings? Is getting the tubing over them the only issue? A search on here only brought up the tubing fit issue, as far as I could see.
Well, getting tubing over them is a real pain (especially 7/16" ID tubing) and they have a nice, big, flat face for water to go crashing into, which results in more turbulence at the barbs and a slightly higher pressure drop. (granted, that was the quick, oversimplified version... heh)

Holy crap, I didn't think that the D5 was that much quieter than the D4 at full. :eek:
Thanks a bunch for the link, that's exactly what I was hoping to find. :cool:

That's kinda what I figured with the P-Seal fittings, just wanted to verify with someone that has experience with them. :)

Even 1/2" masterkleer is a pain in the butt to get over the P-Seals, but the benefit is that I couldn't pull them off myself, and decided that hose clamps weren't quite necessary (I have clamps on all my hi-flows, though).

RickyJ said:
Holy crap, I didn't think that the D5 was that much quieter than the D4 at full. :eek:

Yeah, the D5 is infinitely quiter than the D4. I ran my D4 at 7V and it was still alot louder than the D5 at full blast (I run mine set on about 2, so it's real quiet).

Petra, my CSP-MAG finally died so I was getting ready to pre-order one of your tops. Which DangerDen fittings are you shipping these with? It says DD-High Flow on your site, but I don't know if these are the new ones or the old ones...

Order it with the EK barbs, it will take a few more days to get it out, but it will be worth it.

Oh, and Petra, are you going to sell EK barbs, or DD High Flows seperately, I need some to get rid of my POS P-Seals.

@ Mark305TBI: The tops ship with the newer G1/4 High-Flow barbs (not the older 9/16 UNF High-Flows or the G1/4 Perfect Seals). The second photo on the product page shows the DDC top with the DD barbs--all of the other photos were taken with the EK barbs installed.

@ rjblanke: We'll be selling both the G1/4 High-Flows and EK barbs individually as well

Back