dead board in a Dimension 9200?

Archer75

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm working on a dimension 9200 for a coworker. Upon plugging it in the first thing I notice on the bios is with the text, every other letter or two is missing. From what I can gather it appears it can't recognize various controllers and errors out. I can enter the bios but the screen is sort of fuzzy. Then I exit the bios and this is the only time it will attempt to boot windows. I say attempt because it will never quite boot it. I get the logo on the screen then black screen and nothing.

So the bios text and controller issues lead me to believe it's a dead motherboard. What do you think?

Dead mobos don't show BIOS text or try to boot the operating system. I hope you're not in medical school. ;)

What happens when you try just one memory module at a time or different memory? Or use a plug-in graphics card, even an ancient PCI one?

Dead mobos don't show BIOS text or try to boot the operating system. I hope you're not in medical school. ;)

What happens when you try just one memory module at a time or different memory? Or use a plug-in graphics card, even an ancient PCI one?

I have seen multiple Dell systems with faulty motherboards that exibited this type of behavior. Just because the motherboard isn't completely dead doesn't mean it isn't "dead".

Well if it is dead dead no, but dieing yes that could happen. I had a dell 8200 that would do that, the mobo finally died powering on but refusing to post. Took the ram, video card and hard drive and put them in another pc all worked fine. Dieing mobo is my guess also. You could try a different video card to rule that out. And different ram just to make sure.

Well if it is dead dead no, but dieing yes that could happen.
I'm not familiar with the new grammar. This reminds me of a local news broadcast that said Arizona had the highest rate of skin cancer in the US, second only to Florida.

Is "dieing" the act of making dies, as opposed to dyeing, which refers to changing colors, or dying, which is kicking the bucket? ;)

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the new grammar. This reminds me of a local news broadcast that said Arizona had the highest rate of skin cancer in the US, second only to Florida.

Is "dieing" the act of making dies, as opposed to dyeing, which refers to changing colors, or dying, which is kicking the bucket? ;)

You posted just to comment on grammar? Why not help the op instead?

Back