Dell 2407WFP-HC is available now

@machineguy -- could you go into your service menu and post what panel is reported there?

@machineguy -- could you go into your service menu and post what panel is reported there?

interested in this also, it would be a start in determining what kind of panel it is. Only if its not PVA will I be ordering this.

I would be happy to post this information but I cannot find it. I went into the service menu and found no mention of panel numbers. Can you direct me to information on how to find panel make/model in the service menu?

Mac

I ordered a 2407wfp-hc from Dell today morning (July 10) and it is shipped already. I'll calibrate it with Pantone Eye-One Display 2 and tell you how does it works.

Thanks machineguy. Maybe you could snap a pic of the service menu for us to take a gander at. I was unaware that panel info was now hidden. If you post a pic of the service menu, maybe someone in the community can help us figure things out.

Jingra

I think this is accurate too because what 24" Samsung panel has CCFL and a 92% color gradient? How could it be a S-PVA panel? I'm a believer of it being a A-MVA panel.

Unless its confirmed with at least an input lag analysis this dell is on hold.

I got one, how can I help you guys figure out what panel it is? I'm far from a monitor expert.:)

I got one, how can I help you guys figure out what panel it is? I'm far from a monitor expert.:)

try viewing it dead centre with a black background, are the side edges a diffferent hue/contrast. This will tell you instantly if its PVA based, also try different viewing angles. We need all the text that is shown in the service menu.

I will try to post a picture of the service menu from mine later today, much later. But I dont think its going toi tell you much. They have removed everything except the part number DELL 2407WFP-HC and two number codes at the top, a white one V1B07 and a yellow one DR880. Everything else is set up codes, run times, and status.

I havent calibrated mine yet but the blacks seem crushed. Also, I cant block out all the light from my office windows. With that in mind, the black screen is pretty uniform with viewing angle.

I also compared the Dell specs between the 2407WFP and the 2407WFP-HC to see if there is a clue in the differences. The HC version is 4 lbs heavier and the brightness is 400 cd/m2 on the HC vs 450 cd/m2 on the non-HC. It could be the AUO panel that uses 90 watts but there is no power ratings on either specification..

These guys dont want us to know what panel we have. All panel labeling is hidden inside. I think it would be easier to view the pixels with a jewelers loop and see if the pixel transistor patterns give us a clue.

I will try to post a picture of the service menu from mine later today, much later. But I dont think its going toi tell you much. They have removed everything except the part number DELL 2407WFP-HC and two number codes at the top, a white one V1B07 and a yellow one DR880. Everything else is set up codes, run times, and status.

I havent calibrated mine yet but the blacks seem crushed. Also, I cant block out all the light from my office windows. With that in mind, the black screen is pretty uniform with viewing angle.

I also compared the Dell specs between the 2407WFP and the 2407WFP-HC to see if there is a clue in the differences. The HC version is 4 lbs heavier and the brightness is 400 cd/m2 on the HC vs 450 cd/m2 on the non-HC. It could be the AUO panel that uses 90 watts but there is no power ratings on either specification..

These guys dont want us to know what panel we have. All panel labeling is hidden inside. I think it would be easier to view the pixels with a jewelers loop and see if the pixel transistor patterns give us a clue.

if they dont want us to know then Im not going for it, end of discussion and onto another LCD.

this verse a benq 24" VW, the one with the steel looking posts and no neck/swivel thing.

i know one is wide color tube backed and the benq isnt, but besides that, what is better for being in a dark/quite dim room and wathcing movies or gaming or looking at rotting corpses and burning witches?

I could nor resist so I pulled the trigger on the 2407WFP-HC.
I live in Canada and the shipping estimated date is July 25th.

It will go straight back to Dell if there is banding, input lag, 1:1 incompatibility or backlight leakage.

I too ordered one this evening..it's unbelievable how different reps give you different promotions/pricing for this monitor.

Now the interesting thing is that I specifically told the rep I wanted the 2407-HC which is listed for $679 but my email order lists 320-4335 as the part number for the monitor. This, however, is the part number for the plain 2407. So I'm a little nervous that he put in for the wrong panel! Hopefully, it'll all be corrected tomorrow.

Anyone else that ordered, can you tell me what was listed as the part number for your HC on your order email?

thx

I received mine yesterday and have been gaming a blue-streak.
I wish I could help the discussion here, but I can't really quantify my experience.
It's just my imprecise, non-reproducible "feelings". (ahh, the lifeblood of the net)

It's better than I expected and I'm fairly picky only having used an S-IPS 20" for over three years.

With the monitor approximately two feet in front of me, it seems the colors are richer and more vivid. (but is it accurate)
I've been looking for some 1920x1200 test images, but coming up short. Any links?

As far as the image changing as your head moves side to side... it does.
But, not in the normal range of my head-movement while actually using the monitor.
I only see it when I crane my neck out actually looking for the shift.
Is it there? Yes, but again, I haven't noticed it while 'using' the unit.
Still, to me a viewing angle figure should represent the area before the shift and it doesn't, not by a long shot.

Coming out of sleep-mode, it's way-blue, but that goes away in about a minute.

Initially, I made no adjustments, and was fairly impressed.
Today, I increased the contrast +10 and lowered brightness -10.

Keep in mind, this is a gaming monitor for me.
I'm sure that the graphics people among us will have much more to add...

@netjack

I went through the same thing over the phone, insisting on the HC.

It didn't seem he was really aware of the difference, but assured me everything was correct.
Then right before finishing the order, he read off the marketing stuff, but I didn't hear the "HC".
After confirming part numbers, he almost sold me the standard model.

Order the HC:
Dell Part# 320-5647

Not, the standard:
Dell Part# 320-4335

The box also states the model number and the invoice says item# GM504.

Regards...

[H]eatpipe;1031253785 said:
@netjack

I went through the same thing over the phone, insisting on the HC.

It didn't seem he was really aware of the difference, but assured me everything was correct.
Then right before finishing the order, he read off the marketing stuff, but I didn't hear the "HC".
After confirming part numbers, he almost sold me the standard model.

Order the HC:
Dell Part# 320-5647

Not, the standard:
Dell Part# 320-4335

The box also states the model number and the invoice says item# GM504.

Regards...

Wow, how do people who don't know the difference between the products ever keep a job in a place like that? Do they really not care about the knowledge of the sales people?

Of course maybe that's how they sell some of their crap... Stupid sales people selling to dumb customers.. That way the salesperson doesn't have to feel bad for selling somebody garbage. :D

I ordered mine on line, no rep to talk with. I have learned to prefer it that way if possible because the reps usually make more mistakes, lol.

As Heatpipe says, the part number you want is 320-5647. Call them back and verify they have it right. Or, if you have an on line account, log in and verify they entered it right.

Mac

yup he ordered the wrong one..now only if he'd call me back because calling him goes straight to his voicemail....

I can't just call any other rep and have him change it since I got special pricing :)

phewee..got it squared away..got the hc coming..expected ship date is 7/26 but the rep assured me that's worst case scenario and that it should ship in approx 5 days..also bumped to overnight shipping for the mixup..

woot...

Rumors say that the followihng is the 2407WFP-HC panel
http://www.auo.com/auoDEV/products.php?sec=monitor&func=info&product_id=131&items_id=1

A-MVA by BenQ?

By the way, Dell now hides the panel number. They use an internal code.

According to this article, the panel is S-PVA: http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/18/dell.2407wfp.hc/

"The 24-inch 2407WFP-HC uses the combination of an improved cold-cathode fluorescent backlight and an S-PVA panel to deliver 92 percent of the NTSC color gamut, creating a far better fit for artists and video editors who need color accuracy in a smaller size than the 3007WFP-HC released late last year, according to Dell"

This makes me a sad panda. :(

According to this article, the panel is S-PVA: http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/18/dell.2407wfp.hc/

"The 24-inch 2407WFP-HC uses the combination of an improved cold-cathode fluorescent backlight and an S-PVA panel to deliver 92 percent of the NTSC ... :(

I have seen this article before but the source seems a bit dubious.
AFAIK, there is no 24" S-PVA wide gamut panel available in the market.
Since Dell does not divulge the panel type anymore, we will have to wait until some adventurous owner takes apart its 2407-HC monitor!
And it will not be me!

Do you guys seem to have bad colour calibration issues?

It seems everyone in Australia that has one is complaining of either a blue or green tint. Including me.
It doesn't look great sitting alongside my S-PVA 2407. Maybe it's just different. I'm not sure if I like it yet.
Ours are manufactured in China :(

In Australia... Whirlpool.net.au?
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=767922&p=1
It does seem that they have been having some issues.

Like I said before, coming out of sleep it's waaay-blue.
But that goes away in about a minute.

Overall, it probably does slightly skew blue, but I haven't adjusted the colors yet.
It's certainly not noticeable enough to send me lurching into the service menu.

No back-light issues or banding that I've seen.
Beautiful colors, and really nice contrast.
Cheaper monitors seem to turn everything 2-D, removing contrast (such as shading on desktop folders).
The HC looks great in that regard.

How does the 2407-HC perform.... any past issues? (ghosting, lag, banding...) I'm considering this monitor for work (graphic artist) and for gaming on my xbox 360 via VGA.

I would like to know you experience with this monitor.

I have had this monitor for almost a week now and so far very pleased. I am coming from top of the line Sony CRT F520 and am very picky about picture quality and performance. I had bought a Dell FP2001 a couple of years ago and ended up giving it to my son because I thought the CRT was better. So I thought I would give the LCD another try and this one seems to meet my expectations.

Mine is April 2007 Made in Mexico. The adjustments were excellent out of the box. No dead pixels perfect shape. Color and contrast at 50.

I am presently comparing it side by side to the BenQ 241W and it is hard to decide which looks the best. I ordered the Spyder 2 to do a calibration on both of them.

At this time the 241W seems alittle sharper while the 2407HC seems like it has softer images.

I have had this monitor for almost a week now and so far very pleased. I am coming from top of the line Sony CRT F520 and am very picky about picture quality and performance. I had bought a Dell FP2001 a couple of years ago and ended up giving it to my son because I thought the CRT was better. So I thought I would give the LCD another try and this one seems to meet my expectations.

Mine is April 2007 Made in Mexico. The adjustments were excellent out of the box. No dead pixels perfect shape. Color and contrast at 50.

I am presently comparing it side by side to the BenQ 241W and it is hard to decide which looks the best. I ordered the Spyder 2 to do a calibration on both of them.

At this time the 241W seems alittle sharper while the 2407HC seems like it has softer images.

Any pics? do you do any gaming on it?

Yes I do some gaming mainly UT2004 and Im liking it a lot more than the CRT.

The 2407 screen is very dull. The 241 has some gloss to it.

I took some pictures but cant figure out how to post on this forum.
I still need to calibrate these monitors too.
Is there an easy way to post pictures?

Same here. Mine came last Monday. Made in Mexico. It was great right out of the box. I didnt think it needed any calibration but bought a Spyder2 anyway. According to Spyder2 the Dell was a little (very little) red and the lowest blacks are crushed. But its still very good, great as it is. After calibration the white is a little better and midranges more true. Calibration was worth it but not necessary.

No other deficiencies at all that I can see. I dont game and I havent tried HDTV on it. STD video seems a bit grainly but that could be just the lower definition on a high definition monitor. Pictures, snapshots, and portraits are beautiful. This is a great monitor. I am very, very happy.

There has been some speculation what panel is being used. I can say its definitely not TN and has very good color stability across viewing angle. Cost says its not S-IPS but I cant say its not. The deep blacks and the contrast says its probably A-MVA. I dont care, its beautiful.

Mac

There has been some speculation what panel is being used. I can say its definitely not TN and has very good color stability across viewing angle. Cost says its not S-IPS but I cant say its not. The deep blacks and the contrast says its probably A-MVA. I dont care, its beautiful.

Amen.

[H]eatpipe;1031265154 said:
In Australia... Whirlpool.net.au?
That's us.

We all seem to be getting backlight bleed issues compared to A04 models.
We are slowly getting the colours right, with a few rgb tweaks.

Overall I'm impressed with my HC, it's just different to the A04 and a couple of minor issues to be sorted out.
[img=http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2426/200707130014lc1.th.jpg]
[img=http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/4761/200707130011il7.th.jpg]
Photo of backlight bleed and the menu

Back